Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-29-2013, 03:54 PM   #1
bdklein
DIS Veteran

I'm Done!!! Too Many Changes We Don't Like

Between FP+, not being able to get FP- for at decent times unless there before RD, the changes to GAC/DAS, and the new upcoming ADR CC policy, I really think no more visits to WDW. No longer a vacation. Anybody else feel the same?
bdklein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 03:57 PM   #2
stinkpickle
DIS Veteran

I will withhold judgement until after my January trip.
stinkpickle is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-29-2013, 03:58 PM   #3
ethanwa
Premier Passport AP / D23 Charter Member / D23 Geek of the Week / 2013 and 2015 D23 Expo Sorcerers Ticket

See ya. One less person in the crowd I'll have to deal with.

If THESE are the reasons that you won't visit Disney World, then I think you have your vacationing priorities wrong to being with.

Pointless thread.

Ethan

Been to DL, WDW, Aulani, D23 Expo, on DCL, and to Universal Orlando.

Florida residents since Sept. 2013. We live three minutes from the Magic Kingdom.

Last edited by ethanwa; 10-30-2013 at 07:16 PM.
ethanwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 04:02 PM   #4
PEC
DIS Veteran

There have been numerous people complaining it is too crowded and this is suppose to be the off season. Maybe this is Disney's way of thinning the crowd out to make it a better experience for the ones still going (being sarcastic people).
PEC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 04:09 PM   #5
bdklein
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethanwa View Post
If THESE are the reasons that you won't visit Disney World, then I think your have your vacationing priorities wrong to being with.
Our reasons for a vacation are to get away from all the hustle and bustle of everyday life, and all the planning involved on a daily basis. Now we have to plan our attractions and ADR's even more-and make sure we don't forget to cancel ADRs far enough in advance to avoid a CC charge. Our vacation priorites are not wrong.
bdklein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 04:20 PM   #6
kmarie99
Mouseketeer

Not me... I will still be going and with all the people who are saying 'I am not going to Disney anymore becuase of FP+' it should be less crowded.

Even though every other post that is not about FP+ on this board seems to be about now much more crowded it is that in the past.
Old 10-29-2013, 04:22 PM   #7
disneyworld1977
Mouseketeer

Well I am up in the air about this FP+ system. We are going in December and this is how I am viewing it. I am going in to act like we don't have to worry about those attraction times. I know the Legacy FP system is harder know sense times go fast, but I am going to try what I have done before and see how it goes and I will give me review on how it is.

As far as the ADR cancellation, that is totally understanding, I have no issue why that is in effect now.

If you want a less stress vacation, maybe the beach, cruise, or something else will be better for you.

I let everyone else in my family have fun and I do the running, fast passes, making reservations etc so they can enjoy . I don't mind. It is getting a little different with these changes but I will see how it goes.
*DL* Offsite - 2000, 2003, 2005, 2011, 2013 *WDW* Offsite - 80's , 90's ** POP CENTURY - 2004, 2009 ** CORONADO SPRINGS - 2008 ** PORT ORLEANS (Riverside) - 2011 ** ALL STAR MOVIES - 2012 ** FT. WILDERNESS CABINS - 2013 *TOKYO DL* Offsite - 2014
ME DW
disneyworld1977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 04:22 PM   #8
curemyreed
DIS Veteran

I'm not done with Disney, but I feel your pain. Those are so many changes to adapt to at once....that has been my frustration. We became experts at using off-season rope drop touring along with strategic FP- gathering to lessen DD's need to use the GAC. We tested the FP+ along with the GAC earlier this year and it was not as successful; DD ended up needing the GAC more than any previous trip. When we figure in the DAS system changes along with the FP+ in its current version (only 3 attractions, must be 3 different attractions, must be in same park)...... Just typing it out is mind-numbing. The mental gymnastics required to make this work makes me long for those planning days when I didn't have all these variables to consider.

I envision you getting a lot of flaming and patronizing responses. Just wanted you to know I can relate to your feelings of frustration.
curemyreed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 04:24 PM   #9
jkramer
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmarie99 View Post
Not me... I will still be going and with all the people who are saying 'I am not going to Disney anymore becuase of FP+' it should be less crowded.

Even though every other post that is not about FP+ on this board seems to be about now much more crowded it is that in the past.
This!
1987, 1988, 1990, 1991, 1992, 1993, 1995, 1996, 1997-offsite, 2000-Dixie Landings, 2001-CSR, 2004-FW, 2013-Dolphin (April) Honeymoon and DH's FIRST trip 2013-Offsite/ASSp (Dec) Merry Christmas, 2014-POR (Feb) DH's birthday with the In-Laws, 2014-CBR, YC, and ASMu (May) My B-day and SWW.Upcoming:-CR, WL, and ASMu (Nov) My parents' 15th Anniversary
jkramer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 04:24 PM   #10
kmarie99
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by curemyreed View Post
I'm not done with Disney, but I feel your pain. Those are so many changes to adapt to at once....that has been my frustration. We became experts at using off-season rope drop touring along with strategic FP- gathering to lessen DD's need to use the GAC. We tested the FP+ along with the GAC earlier this year and it was not as successful; DD ended up needing the GAC more than any previous trip. When we figure in the DAS system changes along with the FP+ in its current version (only 3 attractions, must be 3 different attractions, must be in same park)...... Just typing it out is mind-numbing. The mental gymnastics required to make this work makes me long for those planning days when I didn't have all these variables to consider.

I envision you getting a lot of flaming and patronizing responses. Just wanted you to know I can relate to your feelings of frustration.
I also understand the frustration too. But alot of people just don't like change. Sometime it is not what is changing but just that there are changes.
Old 10-29-2013, 04:27 PM   #11
myhouseofmouse
Disney Dad

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethanwa View Post
See ya. One less person in the crowd I'll have to deal with.

If THESE are the reasons that you won't visit Disney World, then I think your have your vacationing priorities wrong to being with.

Pointless thread.

Ethan
After reading the first post, i was sooo going to write the same thing.

"I understand change sometimes can be hard to take....but change is good!!! (unless your coke, If your Coke...change is sooo not good...Coke2 anyone???)
Old 10-29-2013, 04:30 PM   #12
conandrob240
DIS Veteran

I am going to sort of agree but stop short of saying we aren't going. I think we are going to dramatically scale back our visits, though from 2x per year to once every 2 years or so. here are my reasons:

- crowds. Last two weeks of August is our usual timing. It has gone from really pleasant and empty to extremely crowded. We also usually head back in oct for F&W and found that too to be extremely crowded this year when it was relatively light in years past
- cleanliness & maintenance. I found the resorts, parks and even some rides to have a lot of garbage that wasn't picked up in a timely manner. There should never be debris in an attraction. At Stormalong bay, we watched the same large band-aid and empty water bottle sit along the pool area for DAYS. On Pirates, there was a water bottle in the water. At AKL, a garbage pail along the path from Jambo to Kidani overflowed for two days until it was addressed. Every time we rode Test track (3 x), it was "down" for at least 15 minutes. Soarin went down as well as did the haunted mansion. There were other examples as well.
- FP- right now FP+ doesn't really meet our needs (pain to book, only 3 a day in only one park). And FP has suffered from not having much if any availability at major attractions if you don't arrive at park opening. Also, even the FP lines were slow on our recent Oct visit. Not exactly "fast" at all
- changes to discounts. TIW- More black out dates, removal of V&A. PAP- reduction of store discounts from 20% to 10%
- ADR cc policy. This is a major annoyance for me. I think it is a greedy move by Disney and it really ticksw me off. I don't want to be bound financially to where I am going to eat dinner every day on vacation. I will no longer make ADRs.
- other. F&W festival wasn't quite up to "par" with prior yrs. PFTS a disappointment, food kiosks weren't as great, crowds too high.
conandrob240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 04:35 PM   #13
PeterPanic
DIS Veteran

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdklein View Post
Our reasons for a vacation are to get away from all the hustle and bustle of everyday life, and all the planning involved on a daily basis. Now we have to plan our attractions and ADR's even more-and make sure we don't forget to cancel ADRs far enough in advance to avoid a CC charge. Our vacation priorites are not wrong.
Everyone has their individual level of tolerance and if this is it for you then you are making the right choice. You should not spend you money and not enjoy yourself. However, when you consider that because of the size and the offerings that WDW has you might be able to realize why some of the changes were necessary. Planning has been an important part of a Disney Vacation for a long time, "IF", doing and seeing everything is a priority. If you do a more laid back touring system, that becomes unnecessary. GAC vs, DAS... really hasn't been around long enough to really display any solid based knowledge on how it will affect anyone. It might be a plus for all we know. Charging CC's for ADR's, well again the result of the size and the lack of fairness that many people felt entitled to use. That came about because people were making multiple ADR's for the same exact time thus depriving others of the ability to make ADR's themselves. Then they would, for the most part, just go to one and never cancel the others. Even if they did cancel, there wasn't enough time to fill the positions.

What it boils down to is a place like WDW has to set themselves up for the benefit of the most people, not just a few. If people had been a little more ethical instead of greedy, the CC's charges would never have had to be instituted. However, all that said, the only way to experience Disney now is under the new rules. You have always had the option of not finding it worthwhile and there are many, many things to do in the world other then Disney.

To the person that felt it was overcrowded. Well, what are they going to do. Everybody and their brother is now saying that they aren't going to go anymore. You'd think that the place would be empty, but it appears to be more crowded then ever. I guess our protests are all going to be detrimental to only us. We will no longer be able to go because we want everyone else to stay at home. I guess the changes haven't discouraged many people from going. Reminds me of the old line from Yogi Berra..."nobody goes there anymore, it's too crowded."

Last edited by PeterPanic; 10-29-2013 at 04:43 PM.
PeterPanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 04:36 PM   #14
MikeandReneePlus5
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdklein View Post
Between FP+, not being able to get FP- for at decent times unless there before RD, the changes to GAC/DAS, and the new upcoming ADR CC policy, I really think no more visits to WDW. No longer a vacation. Anybody else feel the same?
I'm a little bummed at the FP changes. I thought the system was working fine as it was. Actually the BEST was when they didn't enforce the return times.

We aren't scheduled back as a family until 2015 so we'll have plenty of time to see how it all pans out once it is rolled out in full. So we will withhold judgment until then.
Old 10-29-2013, 04:37 PM   #15
PrincessJo
Mouseketeer

Nope, my family won't stop going.

As I understand it, Disney is still in the testing phase.

I work with inventors at my company and I'm glad they don't give up before the testing phase is even over. If they did, we wouldn't have some pretty cool stuff now.

After our January trip, I'll have more first-hand info. Until then, I'm keeping an open mind.
Nov 2010 (Caribbean Beach Resort) -- Nov 2012 (Villas at Wilderness Lodge) & Universal (Hard Rock Hotel) -- Jan 2014 (Boardwalk Inn) -- Sept 2014 Universal (Royal Pacific) -- Nov 2014 (PO French Quarter)

Magic, March 9-15, 2013 (Western Caribbean)
Dream, Nov 21-24, 2014 (Bahamas)

DH Me DS(17) Sophie Maggie
PrincessJo is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: