Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-29-2013, 12:07 AM   #1
ZoZo
DIS Veteran

Considering First-Time Split Stay -What Do I Need to Know?

Have never tried a split stay before - but there are great discounts that might let me stay at AKL for part of our trip. We would stay in a Lion King suite at AoA the rest of the week.

What do I need to know about split stays? TIA.
Old 10-29-2013, 06:12 AM   #2
ArwenMarie
DIS Veteran

If you have a package, the ticket with all of the days gets attached to the first part of the trip (that is the package) and then the second half is a room-only res, so you will also have to pay the first night to keep that as a deposit. So in other words, you will pay the $200 plus the first night at the second stay.

Most people say to stay at the nicest hotel first. Makes sense.

Having a car makes moving immensely easier, but I know lots of folks do them without using Disney's services.

Ah, what else? They are fun! We just did one and it felt like two separate vacations.
Register to remove

Old 10-29-2013, 07:04 AM   #3
karenklo
DIS Veteran

We did a split in July. POFQ and Poly.
I would actually make the nicest one last! We saved Poly CL for the last part. AKL and AOA suite makes it hard to choose! I may have picked the suite for last as you might want some more room to get away in the hotel!
We had 6 days of tickets on the first ressie and 1 day tickets on the second. Charging on the first KTTK card ends at checkout.
They could not for some reason transfer the ticket days from the first to the second cards. Glitch that day?? Anyway-that meant one card for the room and charging and the original card for tickets into the parks and FP.
We had our own car which made moving a breeze! Out of POFQ and checked into Poly by 8am! Made RD at the MK that morning. Disney will move your luggage for you, but do not plan on getting it until afternoon.
I did do online check in to let them know that we were arriving early from another Disney hotel. Since it was CL it was easy to let them know. Online check in just let them know that time and that we wanted our room ready.
It was a great time! I hope you enjoy your split!
Old 10-29-2013, 10:01 AM   #4
wdwrich
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Most people say to stay at the nicest hotel first.
Actually, I see the opposite recommended more often: stay at the nicest resort last. Otherwise, the change seems like a downgrade. From our experience with split stays, "upgrading" at the switch is our preference.

WDW - 11 visits since 1979 (Polynesian x5, P.O. Riverside x2, Contemporary x2, Yacht Club, Coronado Springs, Shades of Green). Going back in 2015.
DLR - Yearly since 1984 (AP holders)
wdwrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 10:14 AM   #5
Masonmj84
DIS Veteran

A few things to keep in mind:

1. If you don't have a car, bell services will move your bags from your first resort to your second resort free of charge (just need to tip). However, your bags may not arrive at the second resort unitl late in the afternoon. You also need to be in your room to have the bags delivered. If you use this option, I'd advise planning this day as a normal park day and bringing your swimwear with you into the park if you plan to swim in the afternoon.

2. You can also move your bags by driving or taking a cab and storing them with bell services at the new resort until you've checked into your room. Some people prefer this option as it insures that your bags will be at the second resort when you check in.

3. If using Magical Express, you can request to have them take you from MCO to your first resort and then take you from your last resort back to MCO. If you do this, I would suggest double checking with the front desk at your last resort at least a day before check-out to make sure you are scheduled to be picked up by Magical Express.

4. Even though Disney treats split stays like entirely separate reservations (and will send a magic band for each resort to everyone in your party), you should theoretically be able to use the same magic band for both stays (I have yet to experience this so I'm somewhat skeptical about having a glitch-free experience on this score). In theory, when you check into your second resort, old privileges like park tickets and FP+ reservations that were originally on the MB should not be affected and the MB will recognize new privileges specifically asociated with the second resort (charging, room key, dining plan, etc.). Along those lines, I have heard stories about people not being able to use their magic bands to access their room in the first resort after someone in their group has checked into their second resort (e.g., someone takes a cab over to the second resort to move bags and check in while the rest of the family stays back at the first resort).

5. If you have a dining plan at your first resort, those credits (including snacks) expire at midnight of your first resort checkout date, just as with any other reservation.
Old 10-29-2013, 10:21 AM   #6
meljean
Mouseketeer

[QUOTE="Masonmj84"]A few things to keep in mind:

1. If you don't have a car, bell services will move your bags from your first resort to your second resort free of charge (just need to tip). However, your bags may not arrive at the second resort unitl late in the afternoon. You also need to be in your room to have the bags delivered. If you use this option, I'd advise planning this day as a normal park day and bringing your swimwear with you into the park if you plan to swim in the afternoon.

2. You can also move your bags by driving or taking a cab and storing them with bell services at the new resort until you've checked into your room. Some people prefer this option as it insures that your bags will be at the second resort when you check in.

Are you saying that if Disney moves the bags they don't put them in your room? Do they keep them at bell service?

MeDH : DS-6 DS-4: DD 1

meljean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 10:24 AM   #7
Autumnslight
DIS Veteran

We're doing our first split stay in December, so I've been do a bunch of research. Here's what I've been able to gather:

If you're doing room-only, and no dining plan, then the easiest way to do things is to book both room-only reservations. Then you can either buy your tickets separately and just link them in MDE, or buy the tickets along with the first room reservation.

If you want a dining plan, it gets harder. Unless you have an AP, you have to buy tickets for each person with each room reservation to be able to add the dining plan. Buying two separate sets of tickets is far more expensive than just buying one longer ticket, so it doesn't make a lot of sense to do that.

If you don't want to buy an AP or two sets of tickets, then you have to decide which resort reservation you want your tickets and dining plan with. If they're with your first reservation, then your tickets and dining will be available on your first day. The tickets will continue to be available through your second reservation until you use up all the days or they expire. The dining credits expire at midnight the day you check out of the first resort.

If you do the tickets and dining plan with your second reservation, then the dining credits won't be available until you check in to the second resort. The tickets also won't be available until then, but you can pick them up early at guest relations up to three days early. If your first reservation is more than three days, and you want your tickets at the beginning of that, then this won't work out.

We're doing two nights at AoA with a room-only reservation, then moving to AKL for 7 nights with a package. We'll be able to pick up our tickets early, to use during our stay at AoA, and will pay out of pocket for our meals for those days. When we move to AKL, we'll be able to continue using our tickets, and then we'll have access to our dining credits.

It's pretty complicated to figure this all out. I wish Disney would make it a little easier, by letting you have more than one resort within a package, or at least letting you extend the dining plan to another resort reservation when you already have tickets.
Autumnslight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 01:18 PM   #8
ZoZo
DIS Veteran

Thanks for all of the great info, everyone! Our stay is pretty simple - room-only without a dining plan. My friend already has an annual pass, so I'll be doing my park ticket separately. We won't have a rental car, but it sounds fairly simple to have WDW move our luggage for us.

I am so excited to stay at two "new to me" resorts! The 35% discount at AKL brings it into my price range, which is wonderful. And I think we'll really like staying in an AoA suite, too - love the idea of all of that room.

Please keep on posting your best split-stay tips! I appreciate the advice!
Old 10-29-2013, 01:35 PM   #9
Masonmj84
DIS Veteran

[QUOTE=meljean;49951731]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Masonmj84
A few things to keep in mind:

Are you saying that if Disney moves the bags they don't put them in your room? Do they keep them at bell service?
Once the bags arrive at your new resort, they keep them at bell service. You can then call bell service and ask that they be delivered to your room but you must be present in the room at the time of delivery.
Old 10-29-2013, 04:30 PM   #10
ArwenMarie
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdwrich View Post
Actually, I see the opposite recommended more often: stay at the nicest resort last. Otherwise, the change seems like a downgrade. From our experience with split stays, "upgrading" at the switch is our preference.
Ooops, yep, that's what I meant.
Old 01-02-2014, 10:32 AM   #11
Mommy2PrincessAbby
DIS Veteran

Jumping in to this thread to ask a question... We just switched to a split stay... CSR for 4 nights with dining plan, and then 3 nights room only at AKL... I understand that we only get the dining plan at the beginning... My question is about the mugs? Will the RFID turn off at the same time the dining plan does? Thanks!

Walt's Park:Two trips as a kid, stayed off-site. Oct '07, 4 days @ DLH, dh, dd & I. May '08, 5 days "girls only trip" @ GCH dm, dd & I. May '09, 6 days @ DLH, dh, dd & I. October '10, 5 day trip, dd and I @ PPH. And 6 days at PPH--December 5-10, 2012 for all 3 of us!

OMG--dare I say it? We went to the World!! Split Stay! CSR May 6-10 and AKL Savannah View May 10-13, 2014 (with a dash of the Darkside thrown in for good measure the 13th & 14th.)
Mommy2PrincessAbby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 10:55 AM   #12
AThrillingChase
DIS Veteran

[QUOTE=Masonmj84;49953535]
Quote:
Originally Posted by meljean View Post

Once the bags arrive at your new resort, they keep them at bell service. You can then call bell service and ask that they be delivered to your room but you must be present in the room at the time of delivery.
Just a tip, you can also pick them up at bell services if you want. I have had mixed experiences with this. A couple of times they came right up with them, maybe 15 minutes. But my last stay at the Poly, it took almost 2 hours. I was almost late for MVMCP! I had to call down 3x and they kept telling me the guy had already left or I would have just went down to pick them up myself.
2012 - Tokyo Disney Sea
May 2013 - Port Orleans Riverside
November 2013 - first solo trip for Wine and Dine! Decided to explore new resorts: CB, YC, POLY
January 2014 - Animal Kingdom Lodge CL. Happy Birthday to me!
March/April 2014 - Coronado Springs/Wilderness Lodge
October 2014 - Beach Club for TOT 10-Miler! AKL/CR for Princess Half Marathon!
AThrillingChase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 07:25 PM   #13
goofy78
…sea monkey has my money… …yes, I'm a natural blue…

Glad I found this thread. We are doing our first split stay this summer with two nights BC and one night AKL. Just DH and I. When we check out of BC, we can give our luggage to bell service and then we can go off and hit a park? Do we just let them know we are checking into AKL later in the day and they will transfer the luggage? I'm very nervous!
Old 01-11-2014, 07:35 PM   #14
dansdad
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by goofy78 View Post
When we check out of BC, we can give our luggage to bell service and then we can go off and hit a park?
Yup.

Quote:
Originally Posted by goofy78 View Post
Do we just let them know we are checking into AKL later in the day and they will transfer the luggage?
Yup. Your luggage probably won't show up at AKL any earlier than 3 or 4 in the afternoon.
Old 01-11-2014, 07:46 PM   #15
goofy78
…sea monkey has my money… …yes, I'm a natural blue…

Quote:
Originally Posted by dansdad View Post
Yup.

Yup. Your luggage probably won't show up at AKL any earlier than 3 or 4 in the afternoon.
Thanks!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: