Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-29-2013, 02:19 PM   #31
practicallyperfect77
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JennyDrake

As self professed Queen of the Value Resorts, I've stayed in each multiple times except AoA where once was enough. I also have frequent flyer miles at the moderates and I will echo that the craziest food court I've EVER seen has been peak times at POR. The food is so good and fresh and lots of choices! But it was so spread out, large and LOUD that our party of 3 adults repeatedly had trouble finding/keeping up with each other.

A PPer asked about values being busy at 7 am--well, that is when the food court opens. If you aren't a sleep in kind of person, you could have been awake for a coupe of hours and pretty darn hungry by 7 am..... And if EMH hours start at 8 am, yes you need to have the family there and ready for chow at 7.

The only times I've seen understaffing for my entire stay were August 2013 at Movies (only in the evening), AoA (Oct 2012 for each and every meal), and AKL (both stays, each and every meal).
Thanks for the info. Luckily it's a friend trip so only have to get myself up and ready. I'll plan on getting there at 7 and chowing down and drinking a pot of coffee. =)
practicallyperfect77 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 02:44 PM   #32
Ariel on Land
DIS Veteran

We've stayed at CBR and most recently, last week at AoA. THe food court at CBR, while it has fewer options, was never crazy. EVER. AoA for us, only one night was bad- on Sunday. I imagine a lot of folks were arriving (we were!) and it was just a madhouse in there. We went again on Wednesday for lunch, and it was much, much better. I went through there a couple times for a drink a few evenings during the week (think 9-11pm) and it didn't seem bad. So at least for us, in October, it was just the one night.

Thankfully for us, we're not in the food courts all that often anyways, so it's no big deal. But there definitely was a difference between the food court at AoA vs. CBR!!!

1990-offsite, 1996-offsite, 2008-SOG, 2009-CBR, 2010-CBR, 2013- AoA, 2014-POP

Ariel on Land is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-29-2013, 04:25 PM   #33
GaSleepingBeautyFan
DIS Veteran

I didn't enjoy the food court on my last Pop stay in early Dec. 2012.

I normally only eat in the food courts for breakfast but it was nuts. I ended up buying bananas and juice in the food court once to eat in the morning and would stop and have a light snack mid-morning.

It was so much nicer starting my day without the Pop food court hassle.

Connie

WDW: 16 family trips, 8 solo trips - resorts stayed at: offisite(6) AoA, AKL(2), BWI, CR, WL (2), CBR, CSR, POFQ (3), POP (2), POR (5) ASMo, ASMu
DISNEYLAND: 1 family trip, 2 1 day trips chaperoning
US/IOA: 5 family trips
GaSleepingBeautyFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 05:30 PM   #34
jcyoung
Mouseketeer

We traveled to POP for our first visit to the world last week. As novices, we didn't know everything about the dining plan. Luckily, I got a nice CM that explained it to me, but my poor husband didn't. The person in his line charged him a QS meal, but he didn't have a drink or dessert. She just didn't bother to help him. I was pretty mad that she didn't take the time to even ask if he knew that he didn't have everything. The lines were pretty crazy and the food wasn't that good. All in all, I was a little disappointed. The hotel was nice, though...just not the food court.
jcyoung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 11:09 PM   #35
lvillotta1
Mouseketeer

Having stayed at the Values for all of our trips I agree with the craziness at peak times. It is aggravating that you stand in all these different lines for different foods esp with young kids. I felt it took us forever to get food. We are going in Feb and staying at POP. We bring along breakfast items so eat in the room. We also use one of our days to just stay at the resorts and have used the food court,but might eat earlier or later. We also love DTD and it is easy to catch the bus at eat at Earl of Sandwhich or another QS meal.
lvillotta1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 10:20 PM   #36
Girlfriday17
Mouseketeer

We have a split stay in March with 5 days at Pop and 5 days at WL. We typically only eat breakfast at our resort (past two times at POFQ) so this info is good to know. I am a slow riser and my husband usually grabs us breakfast and brings it back to the room for me to eat while I get ready. I am thinking yogurt and fruit in our room might be a good idea.
Girlfriday17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 09:57 AM   #37
Cinderella's slipper
A cross between Cinderella and Winnie the Pooh - "uniquely me"

Pop October 2012

We stayed at Pop in October 2012 and loved the hotel itself. The food court was another matter entirely. After a dismal 1st attempt at breakfast one day before we headed to the park - we sought out food elsewhere.

The food here was inedible - and rarely if ever hot. Love the hotel, great place to stay if you don't need to eat here.

Linda ~~WDW Commando Club #200
October 1982 offsite -- October 1986 offsite
Many trips in between -POFQ -- Disney World Land & Sea Cruise Poly, Sept 2001 -- POR, Sept 2002 -- Disneyland, Aug 2005 --Shades of Green, Feb 2008 -- Dreams Come True Trip, AKL, Oct 2009 --POFQ, Sept 2011 -- Pop Century, Oct 2012 -- Offsite, March 2014 an all girls trip.
Cinderella's slipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 10:18 AM   #38
ToyStory3
DIS Veteran

I stayed at Pop for the first time this November. When we went to the food court late at night we had a good experience. Very little wait and our food was fine. But, the two times we went at breakfast it was awful. We waited a very long time in line - I actually got out of two lines for food because in over 15 minutes it literally never moved. I started running out of time so I got cereal, milk, and a Danish. I went to checkout and they were going to force me to use 3 snack credits. I tried to tell them that I had to catch a flight and none of the other lines are moving (for waffles, etc.). Didn't matter - they really didn't care.

I went back and a CM gave me a combination of food that she said could be used as a QS meal. I went back through the line and they, again, told me it was 3 snack credits. I was literally in tears. They finally let me use it as a QS credit because I explained that a CM told me that I could. It was a nightmare.

ToyStory3 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 01:12 PM   #39
TeachTink
Mouseketeer

I've never stayed on site before and I'm so worried about the food court "horror" stories I've read since we will be staying on site this time. :lol
Old 01-01-2014, 01:35 PM   #40
alex9179
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by navyblue8 View Post
I despised the Art food court on our last trip. It was the only bad part of the whole week. Even going at 10 at night was bad.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimandami View Post
We did our first stay at value in the family suites at AoA last September, and even though we loved the room and enjoyed the hotel overall, I told DH "NEVER AGAIN at a value" simply because of the chaos of the food court. It is just too much trouble to corral 2 children while trying to get everyone something different to eat, make sure you have all the stuff you need for the DDP, etc...Though I will say everything we tried there was of good quality, it just added too much stress.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSNY4ever View Post
We hated the AoA food court. It wasn't that the food was so bad, it was that it was chaos and hard and to get all of your food and with toddlers it was very hard to wait in line and carry your trays and sit down to eat before it was cold- if you had to push a stroller too, forget about it! And it was SOOOO crowded in the evenings even until late at night like you said. Some of the longest lines of our whole trip were at the food court.
Us too! We really liked the suite, but our two food court experiences convinced us that it wasn't for us. Chaos, limited to one bay or in line multiple times to get everyone's choice (doesn't work with small kids), and the bounty platter was terrible! Cold food and the potatoes were inedible. DH is actually the one who said "never again" because he was the food runner while I stayed with our little kids.
alex9179 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 05:33 PM   #41
Dis703
DIS Veteran

We just had our first stay at Pop in November and the food court is a good part of why we won't be returning. It was just a loud crazy madhouse every time we went. Frankly we don't need that many choices and options and prefer not to hop on several lines either. We also had poor housekeeping and I wasn't thrilled with the buses so we are going back to a mod next trip. But it was cheap which is what we were looking for.

Dis703 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 06:00 PM   #42
KELLY
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by preschoolmom View Post
Before you judge my post too harshly, this was our fourth trip, and our third stay at Pop (the first trip, we stayed at the Contemporary).

We always loved the food court, because I have picky kids - and I just loved that everyone could have exactly what they wanted. Considering we were there during a lower crowd time (our last trip was during spring break 2012, so 9's and 10's all week), the food court was just a nightmare.

A) I just hate that you can only get fries at one of the stations. So, for every meal, we had to wait in numerous lines to put our meals together. I realize it was like this before, but it seemed easier to get all my kids' meals together on our previous trips.

B) It was always so crowded we never once ate all at the same time. DH and I would get the kids settled first and then go back for our own food. Nightmare.

C) The food quality left something to be desired.

D) I get that it is free dining, and that has impacted the quality/quantity of the food - but watching them weigh fries for every order was ridiculous.

E) The employees seemed to have no leeway with making snacks meals or meals snacks. Frustrating! On previous trips, we never had issues with this.

We had issues with getting our luggage (Our fault, we'll never travel on a Saturday again). Our flight landed at 11:30am. We took Magic Express to Pop. Our luggage did not make it to our room until 6:30pm. Then that was just two bags. The third bag came around 8:30pm. I was worried that the bags weren't coming! I felt better when I called at 6 - and they confirmed they had them and were out for delivery. But then I worried again until our last bag arrived. Whew.

We did have a WONDERFUL housekeeper. Just fabulous! Had her all week long She added magic to our vacation. I tipped her every day, and also left her a nice note at the end of the week.

The pools were less crowded than our last trip.

I would stay at Pop again, but we would plan to eat all our meals in the parks. I would also pay more for preferred rooms and request as close to the main building/Hippy Dippy Pool as possible. This was our second time being far, far out - and while it isn't a huge deal - it would just be nicer to be closer.

I might even consider staying off-site for a future trip.
Once they change the menu it went really bad. WE ate most of our meals after the first coupe of days at dtd. We are staying at POR this year. I hate The fact we had to leave the resort to get anything decent. We had stayed at pop 5 times before this trip. The hotel is fine we like at pop but the food court killed it this trip.

Many Trips the past 6 years at pop with free dining!
Me , DH , DD 8 and DD 6

Last edited by KELLY; 01-01-2014 at 06:05 PM.
KELLY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 06:30 PM   #43
dbramer
Mouseketeer

I have stayed at Pop before and never had a problem with the food court. Admittedly, it was in February and we are going again this summer. I am hoping that the food and crowds are manageable since the crowd levels when we are there are "supposed" to be historically low.

76 - offsite, 79 - offsite, 82 - offsite - (USAF) - 93 - offsite, 96 - offsite, 01 - offsite, 05 - offsite, 09 - Pop, 15 - POFQ

dbramer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 09:29 PM   #44
tiki23
Able to leap a double stroller in a single *splat*
A hot glue gun was my best friend

Pop has been our fave resort since our first stay in 2006. However, our last stay in October 2013 was unpleasant enough that we've switched to ASSp for our upcoming trip for the Princess Half Marathon in Feb.

In 2006, 07 and 08 the food court at Pop was awesome. Food and Service.

In 2013, we did have some very good food - as well as some that was just "eh" - but the chaos and the general unfriendliness - and at times - incompetence, of the Pop staff was so frustrating.

It's really too bad.
1st Trip! 11/06 POP~ Christmas Time W/Mom 12/07 POP~ Just Me DL 3/08~ Mom-Son 8/08 POP~Fam & Friends 10/08 DLR~Reunion 9/09 ASMU~Sisters! 9/10 POFQ~ 3/11 w/DD's choir ASMu~ 5/12 EE Challenge w/Sis POP ~w/DH 9/12 AoA~ ToT Run/Reunion 10/13 POP! ~ ASP w/Sis Princess Wknd 2/14 DLand Half Marathon 8/14 11/14 Avenger Half Marathon

Last edited by tiki23; 01-01-2014 at 09:41 PM.
tiki23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 07:24 AM   #45
BenKling
Mouseketeer

We also had a weird dining experience our last time at Pop. It was shortly after they changed the menu, and I don't know what the problem was... But nothing tasted very good.

I'm doing a DVC rental this upcoming trip, but I'm not sure when we'll be back to Pop.

BenKling is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: