Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-30-2013, 05:21 PM   #16
eliza61

We're Americans, we're survivors

Quote:
Originally Posted by siskaren View Post
Really? Because the Starbucks in my local Target doesn't look like it belongs on a Victorian-era Main Street.

Well, a lot of people who are bemoaning the "loss" of the Main Street Bakery seemed to be under the impression that the baked goods were baked there, which they weren't, so that hasn't changed.

Also, according to the easyWDW post, the cinnamon rolls at Gaston's are the same recipe as the ones sold at the Main Street Bakery, just with maple glaze. (And based on other posts I've seen here, Josh isn't the only one who wasn't impressed with them.)

Plus, the post also says that the bottom row of the bakery case is "Disney-baked" goods, so you can still get some of those items.
Ok so the one in target is smaller but I can pick up my prescription also at target so its A draw.

the one on main street doesn't resemble that either. Not any Victorian replica that I've seen. LOL. it looks like a cafeteria with some cutely dressed servers, at least when I went that's what it reminded me of, including the rope line.
Now I live in Philly so you know we do the "old" thing very well. So yeah, it reminds me of my local target.

I haven't tried the rolls at Gaston's.

In all seriousness, I'm glad you like it but it was a huge disappointment to me and after 2 visits I still think it was lame.

Last edited by eliza61; 10-30-2013 at 06:05 PM.
eliza61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 06:44 AM   #17
eculmone
Mouseketeer

I agree with other posters Disney is a wonderful world of make believe and No, I knew the goods were not made there... but it was/is that sense of 'make believe'. The sights, the sounds, the fact that Disney never does anything "half baked"

Not having that 'old world' feel of a good ol fashioned bakery with baked goods as big as your head... I guess is a project to be perfected by the next wave of imagineers Here's hoping at the very least
RPH - 2010; HRH - 2011; GF-2011; Disneyland California 2012; Disney Cruise & HRH 2013; AKL-2014

eculmone is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-31-2013, 07:22 AM   #18
Simba77
DIS Veteran

I went in the Main Street Starbucks last month. I forget exactly what the bakery looked like before. But the update didn't look like some kind of anacrhonistic or modern coffee shop. Here's a pictorial of the Bakery: http://www.disneylifestylers.com/mai...magic-kingdom/. Here's a vid: http://youtu.be/ad6UT6Euo5w

It doesn't look remotely like a Starbucks, nor do the workers look like modern Starbucks baristas. I'm utterly confused. The entire place still looks period - as much as any of the other venues on Main St.

Here's a "before" pic for comparison: http://www.disunplugged.com/wp-conte...1/DSC_6932.jpg. I think it looks better and more period-appropriate now than it did before. Call me crazy. Aside from the light fixtures, that before pic of the bakery gives me a "mall food court" vibe (especially those floor tiles).

Anyway, true story: Disneyland in 1955 had visible corporate sponsors of food, drink, and attractions. It's been that way at every Disney park since the beginning. Carnation Ice Cream Parlor, Coca Cola refreshment corner, Casa de Fritos, Pepsi Cola Golden Horseshoe Revue (Pepsi didn't exist until the turn of the century, well after the "old west" setting of Frontierland)... Here's a video of a giant Maxwell House sign on Main Street of Disneyland - from 1955: http://commons.wikimedia.org/w/index...House_1955.ogv

There's a not-so-short list of 1950s corporate sponsors with signage in the park.

Some of the big-name sponsors have simply been around long enough that you start to associate them with Disney and they "blend in." Starbucks is a recent addition so you take notice, but in time, it will be like all the others that have had a visible presence in the parks for as long as there have been parks.

Last edited by Simba77; 10-31-2013 at 07:55 AM.
Simba77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 07:36 AM   #19
DaisyD
Nothing like crunchy milk in the morning!
Guess I'll be checking my swords with the luggage
I am a closet Ragamuffin eater!

I must be one of the few that loved having the SB on Main Street. The exterior looked the same to us. The interior looked Victorian but had few tables. There was two huge lines in there so I'm sure many others loved it too. I was surprised the lines moved so fast. My girls and I were thrilled to get some decent icy coffees as the stuff that was sold there before was just nasty to us. There is also one in Epcot we hit one day and it was great!
DaisyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 07:46 AM   #20
Simba77
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaisyD View Post
I must be one of the few that loved having the SB on Main Street. The exterior looked the same to us. The interior looked Victorian but had few tables. There was two huge lines in there so I'm sure many others loved it too. I was surprised the lines moved so fast. My girls and I were thrilled to get some decent icy coffees as the stuff that was sold there before was just nasty to us. There is also one in Epcot we hit one day and it was great!
Getting a large frappucino with a snack credit was something we did more than once
Old 10-31-2013, 08:25 AM   #21
3Gsandme
DIS Veteran

I'm happy that 'Bux is now a park option. I hate paying a lot of money for coffee that's not good. I like Stabucks and the quality should be on par with what I'm used to getting.

My November 2015 PTR-Heigh Ho Ho HO!
3Gsandme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 08:55 AM   #22
siskaren
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simba77 View Post
I went in the Main Street Starbucks last month. I forget exactly what the bakery looked like before. But the update didn't look like some kind of anacrhonistic or modern coffee shop. Here's a pictorial of the Bakery: http://www.disneylifestylers.com/mai...magic-kingdom/. Here's a vid: http://youtu.be/ad6UT6Euo5w

It doesn't look remotely like a Starbucks, nor do the workers look like modern Starbucks baristas. I'm utterly confused. The entire place still looks period - as much as any of the other venues on Main St.

Here's a "before" pic for comparison: http://www.disunplugged.com/wp-conte...1/DSC_6932.jpg. I think it looks better and more period-appropriate now than it did before. Call me crazy. Aside from the light fixtures, that before pic of the bakery gives me a "mall food court" vibe (especially those floor tiles).
I totally agree. I just don't understand how people can claim it looks like any other Starbucks in the "real" world.
siskaren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 09:17 AM   #23
Chuck S
DVC Boards Co-Moderator

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by siskaren View Post
I totally agree. I just don't understand how people can claim it looks like any other Starbucks in the "real" world.
Agreed. I'm not a fan of Starbucks coffee, it is too bitter for my personal taste. But this location seems to be well themed, as well as any other Main Street shop, at least.

I mean, really, how purely themed is anything at Disney? I don't think they had a lot of the products they sell on Main Street in the Victorian era. If you want to be authentic, they should sell corsets, bustles, huge ladies hats 3-piece suits, pocket watches and derby hats.

I doubt they'd sell much.

DVC Member at OKW since 1992
Chuck S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2013, 08:08 AM   #24
VisualArt
Earning My Ears

It is about time there was decent coffee in the MK....There should be more of them

VisualArt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2013, 08:34 AM   #25
Chuck S
DVC Boards Co-Moderator

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by VisualArt View Post
It is about time there was decent coffee in the MK....There should be more of them
The coffee now served at Disney restaurants is pretty good. (Joffrey's) I thought the Nescafe was OK, but Joffrey's is much, much better. As I said, Starbucks is a little too bitter for my taste, but I have no problem with the Disney theme park locations. They are pretty well themed. I certainly does not look like a regular old Starbucks plopped onto Main Street.

DVC Member at OKW since 1992
Chuck S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2013, 10:27 AM   #26
TDC Nala
1937, what a year that was
Diet Coke on Ice or Else
I apparently don't do anything they want to stimulate

DISboards Moderator

Unfortunately (if you feel that way about it) it's a done deal. There will be a Starbucks in each of the 4 theme parks soon (and Downtown Disney). I'd imagine they will all have front and center locations.
Old 11-29-2013, 04:45 PM   #27
Disney_Princess83
DIS Veteran

I'm sorry that you are unhappy about Starbucks being in the parks. There are many people who feel the opposite (given the lines I saw several times during our trips).

Almost 6 Weeks at Disney.... it's Happened! October & November 2013! Trip Report and Food Review to Follow Soon

Starbucks has arrived at WDW! MK, EPCOT and soon the entire World!
Add me on Twitter: @OzGoofyPrincess
Disney_Princess83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2013, 04:59 PM   #28
jiminyfan
Daddy, Dreamer and WDWnut

Love having Starbucks on property as I enjoy their coffee. Decent food selection as well. Very happy for this change. Plus my cinnamon rolls r are at Gastons.

April 2014
Son and his school is performed at Downtown Disney and the band lead the Good Friday Parade
Wonderful Time and great shows by the students

August 2014 - First AoA stay looking forward to a new home for our vacation

Fall 2014 - Still in the planning stages, but F&W will be part of it
jiminyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2013, 05:46 PM   #29
monorailmom
DIS Veteran

Honestly, when they first announced this I wasn't sure how I felt. But really, I've read many books on the history of WDW and Disneyland, and none of it would have happened without corporate sponsors. Walt never had the money to do it all on his own: without sponsorship paying for much it , we wouldn't have the Disneyland and Disney World we all love today.

I think the Starbucks on Main St. is perfectly themed. It doesn't stick out or have an obnoxious sign or anything. I enjoyed an iced shaken green tea with raspberry on a hot Aug. afternoon, and enjoyed every sip of it.
Old 11-29-2013, 05:50 PM   #30
Suziannie
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jiminyfan View Post
Love having Starbucks on property as I enjoy their coffee. Decent food selection as well.
Me too! I'm looking forward to getting a good coffee and people watching one morning. My husband is doing the Behind the Steam Trains Tour one morning so he'll be there way before us. We're hoping to have a nice little meet up at Starbucks and I'm rather looking forward to it.

Honestly though it wouldn't have occurred to me to meet him in the old bakery. We would have probably met up at a restaurant for brunch or maybe in front of a ride. I think there's a plus to every change at WDW.

Didn't Walt himself say "Keep moving forward." ? Why keep things the same

Completed Christmas Trip Report: December 2013

Resorts I've stayed at so far:
Caribbean Beach 2007/2008 Christmas & New Year's Eve
All Star Movies 2008 Food & Wine, 2011 Honeymoon, 2013 Christmas trip
Art of Animation 2013
Shades of Green 2013

Upcoming: Shades of Green June 2014!!!
Suziannie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bakery, cinnamon rolls, coffee, main street bakery, starbucks

Display Modes Rate This Thread