Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-25-2013, 12:01 PM   #1
Griffsndis
Earning My Ears
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 1

Unhappy Starbucks on main street.......:/

Just got back and was disappointed to see the Starbucks on main street. I'm not one of the STBKS haters but it just ticked me off. Downtown Dis. OK, in resorts OK, but not here not like that. Why not leave the bakery alone and have it " featuring or presented by" Strbks. Like other food places. Disney is two things for most people, tradition and innovation. But the two are done seperatly. This could have been done much better. Dis can make 40 foot toys, giant light shows themed resorts out of nowhere but they couldn't serve STBKS out of the bakery without making it look like a STBKS. Most of us are not complaining about serving that brand, it's losing our bakery. You guys say we need our strbks in the morning like always. OK, my kids eat Dominos every Saturday and dont care for the parks pizza. Tony's Town Sguare pasta, no thanks bring in Olive Garden. We could have had it both ways, Disney can create and make ANYTHING! MK is the step back to a better yesterday, EPCOT tommorow, AK far off lands, HS movie make believe. Now in one week I can go to Africa, be in Star Wars, see the future and go to turn of the century Missouri, strike that, my local Starbucks.
Griffsndis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 08:28 AM   #2
jewjubean
You can call me Bean
My vote "the TG" is a Mutant ninja fairy ranger. Fighting for crazy people everywhere!!:D
 
jewjubean's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Orlando, FL - 5 minutes away from the mouse
Posts: 1,697

I'm sorry that you don't like the new addition! I hope it didn't ruin your entire vacation.
__________________
I'm a retired sargent for the Galactic Federation!
Wish Giver
jewjubean is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 10-27-2013, 08:47 AM   #3
maxiesmom
The Mean Squinty Eye Works Wonders
 
maxiesmom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: The West side of the mitten
Posts: 23,151

Granted I have only seen pictures, but I thought the outside of the building still looked like the Main Street Bakery, with only a small Starbucks sign. Is that not true? Or are you referring to the fact that they re-arranged and took out the small seating nook?
maxiesmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 02:48 PM   #4
eculmone
Mouseketeer
 
eculmone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Canada
Posts: 439

Are you saying they took out the Bakery? No giant Cinnamon Bun in the morning? I HOPE NOT. That Bakery was one of the best parts... for me, wandering in to the smells of baked goods and sharing a giant cinnamon bun with my dh and dd Nooooooooooo
__________________
OR - 1999;CB - 2000;CS - 2001;CB - 2002
WL - 2003;AKL - 2004;BCV - 2005;PORFQ - 2006
SS -2007;AKL - 2007;POLY-2007 New Years Eve; SS - 2008; Universal Studio's PB 2009;
RPH - 2010; HRH - 2011; GF-2011; Disneyland California 2012; Disney Cruise & HRH 2013; AKL-2014; BC-2014
eculmone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 03:37 PM   #5
maxiesmom
The Mean Squinty Eye Works Wonders
 
maxiesmom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: The West side of the mitten
Posts: 23,151

Quote:
Originally Posted by eculmone View Post
Are you saying they took out the Bakery? No giant Cinnamon Bun in the morning? I HOPE NOT. That Bakery was one of the best parts... for me, wandering in to the smells of baked goods and sharing a giant cinnamon bun with my dh and dd Nooooooooooo
They didn't take out the bakery. However Disney has changed the cinnamon bun and it now has a maple topping. And you can't get it at the bakery, but someplace else that isn't coming to mind as I'm typing.
maxiesmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 04:32 PM   #6
eculmone
Mouseketeer
 
eculmone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Canada
Posts: 439

__________________
OR - 1999;CB - 2000;CS - 2001;CB - 2002
WL - 2003;AKL - 2004;BCV - 2005;PORFQ - 2006
SS -2007;AKL - 2007;POLY-2007 New Years Eve; SS - 2008; Universal Studio's PB 2009;
RPH - 2010; HRH - 2011; GF-2011; Disneyland California 2012; Disney Cruise & HRH 2013; AKL-2014; BC-2014
eculmone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 01:13 PM   #7
siskaren
DIS Veteran
 
siskaren's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Aurora, IL
Posts: 8,424

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxiesmom View Post
They didn't take out the bakery. However Disney has changed the cinnamon bun and it now has a maple topping. And you can't get it at the bakery, but someplace else that isn't coming to mind as I'm typing.
It's at Gaston's.

And it's not like they did any baking there anyway. Here's what easyWDW posted when it first re-opened in June:

http://www.easywdw.com/uncategorized...akery-reopens/
siskaren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 05:01 PM   #8
eliza61

We're Americans, we're survivors
 
eliza61's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Philadelphia PA
Posts: 18,955

I hated it too. I just got back from a September trip and I tried to be positive about it. I kept thinking it had to be a little different or better than the 20 starbucks I pass every day. Nope it looks and feels just like the starbucks at my local target.

I doubt I'll step into it ever again.

No it did not ruin my trip, we simply had a tradition of ending the night by going into the shops on main street and then stopping by the bakery to get a dessert.
__________________
"He who dies with the most toys is still dead"
eliza61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 05:11 PM   #9
eliza61

We're Americans, we're survivors
 
eliza61's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Philadelphia PA
Posts: 18,955

Quote:
Originally Posted by siskaren View Post
It's at Gaston's.

And it's not like they did any baking there anyway. Here's what easyWDW posted when it first re-opened in June:

http://www.easywdw.com/uncategorized...akery-reopens/
Can I ask you some thing. I see this response all the time and I don't get the logic.

So they took away one of my favorite treats and replaced it with some thing I get from Entemmens and that's ok because MSB wasn't a real bakery?

I mean if we get technical all of Disney is Fake. so we can get rid of the Haunted mansion or the hall of presidents because hey those aren't real president's back there or you know the ghost aren't real ghost.

Whether or not they baked them in house was/is moot for me any way. They were tasty and some thing I could not get readily in my real life. that made them unique.

Just trying to figure out why that is supposedly enough to be cool with starbucks now in MK becauses that's what it is, a starbucks.
__________________
"He who dies with the most toys is still dead"
eliza61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 05:49 PM   #10
maxiesmom
The Mean Squinty Eye Works Wonders
 
maxiesmom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: The West side of the mitten
Posts: 23,151

The cinnamon roll was changed before they changed the Main Street Bakery. It isn't gone because of the change, Disney moved it and changed the frosting before hand.

I know how you feel, I used to love those giant dark chocolate non pareils they had at the Confectionery. They have been gone for a few years now. I still look for them every time I go in the hopes that they have had a change of heart and brought them back.
maxiesmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 06:25 PM   #11
siskaren
DIS Veteran
 
siskaren's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Aurora, IL
Posts: 8,424

Quote:
Originally Posted by eliza61 View Post
I hated it too. I just got back from a September trip and I tried to be positive about it. I kept thinking it had to be a little different or better than the 20 starbucks I pass every day. Nope it looks and feels just like the starbucks at my local target.
Really? Because the Starbucks in my local Target doesn't look like it belongs on a Victorian-era Main Street.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eliza61 View Post
Can I ask you some thing. I see this response all the time and I don't get the logic.

So they took away one of my favorite treats and replaced it with some thing I get from Entemmens and that's ok because MSB wasn't a real bakery?

I mean if we get technical all of Disney is Fake. so we can get rid of the Haunted mansion or the hall of presidents because hey those aren't real president's back there or you know the ghost aren't real ghost.

Whether or not they baked them in house was/is moot for me any way. They were tasty and some thing I could not get readily in my real life. that made them unique.

Just trying to figure out why that is supposedly enough to be cool with starbucks now in MK becauses that's what it is, a starbucks.
Well, a lot of people who are bemoaning the "loss" of the Main Street Bakery seemed to be under the impression that the baked goods were baked there, which they weren't, so that hasn't changed.

Also, according to the easyWDW post, the cinnamon rolls at Gaston's are the same recipe as the ones sold at the Main Street Bakery, just with maple glaze. (And based on other posts I've seen here, Josh isn't the only one who wasn't impressed with them.)

Plus, the post also says that the bottom row of the bakery case is "Disney-baked" goods, so you can still get some of those items.
siskaren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 09:16 PM   #12
whencanwegoback
Earning My Ears
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Prattville, AL
Posts: 43

We were there last week. On our way from EPCOT to Poly for dinner at Ohana we killed an hour on main street. Wanted to get a cinnamon roll but didn't want to have to walk all the way to the back of the park. That sucked. Otherwise it didn't impact my vacation at all. Maybe all the people who are grossly offended will stop going to WDW altogether and make it less crowded when I watch, "Illuminations, presented by Siemens".
whencanwegoback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 09:43 PM   #13
Vickmeys
Yikes!!
 
Vickmeys's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Happytown, USA
Posts: 268

Quote:
Originally Posted by Griffsndis View Post
Just got back and was disappointed to see the Starbucks on main street. I'm not one of the STBKS haters but it just ticked me off. Downtown Dis. OK, in resorts OK, but not here not like that. Why not leave the bakery alone and have it " featuring or presented by" Strbks. Like other food places. Disney is two things for most people, tradition and innovation. But the two are done seperatly. This could have been done much better. Dis can make 40 foot toys, giant light shows themed resorts out of nowhere but they couldn't serve STBKS out of the bakery without making it look like a STBKS. Most of us are not complaining about serving that brand, it's losing our bakery. You guys say we need our strbks in the morning like always. OK, my kids eat Dominos every Saturday and dont care for the parks pizza. Tony's Town Sguare pasta, no thanks bring in Olive Garden. We could have had it both ways, Disney can create and make ANYTHING! MK is the step back to a better yesterday, EPCOT tommorow, AK far off lands, HS movie make believe. Now in one week I can go to Africa, be in Star Wars, see the future and go to turn of the century Missouri, strike that, my local Starbucks.
Agree!!!
__________________
2005, 2008, 2010, 2011, 2013 WDW



Vickmeys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 10:14 PM   #14
DisneyKeith
Mouseketeer
 
DisneyKeith's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Central Virginia
Posts: 107

I miss the GIANT turnovers that were overflowing with apples. I don't care where Disney made the pastries that we sold at the Main Street Bakery. All I know is they were always fresh and smelled and tasted amazing. It was always hard to get a seat because they were so busy.
I guess Disney fooled me into thinking it was a bakery just like I think I see ghosts in the Haunted Mansion or throwing me in the brier patch on Splash Mountain. Keep fooling me, Disney!
__________________
DisneyKeith
DisneyKeith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 11:12 AM   #15
maxiesmom
The Mean Squinty Eye Works Wonders
 
maxiesmom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: The West side of the mitten
Posts: 23,151

Quote:
Originally Posted by Griffsndis View Post
Just got back and was disappointed to see the Starbucks on main street. I'm not one of the STBKS haters but it just ticked me off. Downtown Dis. OK, in resorts OK, but not here not like that. Why not leave the bakery alone and have it " featuring or presented by" Strbks. Like other food places. Disney is two things for most people, tradition and innovation. But the two are done seperatly. This could have been done much better. Dis can make 40 foot toys, giant light shows themed resorts out of nowhere but they couldn't serve STBKS out of the bakery without making it look like a STBKS. Most of us are not complaining about serving that brand, it's losing our bakery. You guys say we need our strbks in the morning like always. OK, my kids eat Dominos every Saturday and dont care for the parks pizza. Tony's Town Sguare pasta, no thanks bring in Olive Garden. We could have had it both ways, Disney can create and make ANYTHING! MK is the step back to a better yesterday, EPCOT tommorow, AK far off lands, HS movie make believe. Now in one week I can go to Africa, be in Star Wars, see the future and go to turn of the century Missouri, strike that, my local Starbucks.
Next time you go to WDW look and see how many different sponsors there are in the parks. Starbucks is far and away not the first!
maxiesmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
bakery, cinnamon rolls, coffee, main street bakery, starbucks



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:21 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.