Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants > Disney Dining Reviews
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-26-2012, 12:57 AM   #1
DonaldDoleWhip
DIS Veteran

We're back & better than ever - Complete!

Last time (over half a year ago), during what felt like a joyfully endless summer, we enjoyed numerous meals across WDW. There were a few disappointments (such as The Wave, California Grill, and Narcoossee's) but also some pleasant surprises (Captain's Grille) and highlight meals (especially Artist Point, Jiko, Yachtsman, Citricos, and Flying Fish).

Well, things have changed a bit since then. While I've always seen myself as a foodie, I've become more adventurous than ever. I've started to enjoy foods I used to actively dislike (oysters, a variety of cheeses, eel, etc) and I'm excited to see how my broader food attitudes will impact the WDW dining experience.

We ended up eating at some of our favorite places, such as Artist Point and Yachtsman Steakhouse. We also had meals at quite a few other restaurants, and overall we weren't disappointed. The food was great in both March and May, and I'm looking forward to sharing it all with you!

Last edited by DonaldDoleWhip; 06-16-2012 at 02:06 AM.
DonaldDoleWhip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 09:38 AM   #3
chocolateMinnie
DIS Veteran

Can't wait to hear all about it - have a fantastic trip :

chocolateMinnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 09:38 AM   #4
GoofySon'sMom
DIS Veteran

Definitely looking forward to another of your reviews!

Mom & Son - The Last Time? August 2013 ~ Mom & Son Take on Spring Break - March 2013
Mom & Son Head to Food & Wine - November 2012 ~ Mom & Son - One More Time with Dad! August 23rd - Sept 3rd 2012
Mom and Son Take on the Land! - July 2010 Trip Report
- Mom and Son Going Back -Another 10 days of Deluxe Dining 8/25 - 9/5/2011
Mom and Son Eat the World -11 days of Deluxe Dining ~Mom and Son Eat the World Part 2-With Dad this Time

Offsite 1987, 1988, 1990; Grand Floridian - 1991 (Honeymoon); Port Orleans French Quarter - 1993, 1994; Animal Kingdom Lodge - July 2004 (DS's First Trip); Wilderness Lodge - July 2005; Yacht Club - August 2006; Mom & Son Weekend @ Contemporary Resort - April 2007; Port Orleans Riverside - August 2007; Mom & Son Trip to POP - August 2008; Family trip to POP - December 2009; Disneyland's Paradise Pier Hotel - July 2010; Pop Century - August 2011; AKL/CSR/ASMo - August 2012; Mom & Son Food & Wine Trip to ASMu - November 2012; Mom & Son Trip to Art of Animation - March 2013; Mom & Son Trip to Caribbean Beach - August 2013; Disney Dining Diva Trip at Pop - December 2013
GoofySon'sMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 10:28 AM   #5
auntfrannie
DIS Veteran

Wonderful! I'm happy to hear you're going back and will be doing more food reviews. I thoroughly enjoyed reading your last reviews. Have a great time!
auntfrannie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 12:24 PM   #6
sue and co
Mouseketeer

Looking forward to your new reviews.
sue and co is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 03:56 PM   #7
iloveeeyore
DIS Veteran

YAY! Have a wonderful trip and yummy meals!

With DH and DKs - CR TPV, CSR, AKL CL, WL CY, Poly GV (x3), Poly GVC, Courtyard by Marriott DTD, CBR
Numerous trips as kids to CR, Poly, Golf Resort
iloveeeyore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 05:28 PM   #8
DonaldDoleWhip
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by chocolateMinnie View Post
Can't wait to hear all about it - have a fantastic trip :
Thanks so much! I'm really excited to be go back and try some new things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoofySon'sMom View Post
Definitely looking forward to another of your reviews!
Glad you're here! I also can't wait for your next set of reviews - your proposed restaurant list looked awesome.

Quote:
Originally Posted by auntfrannie View Post
Wonderful! I'm happy to hear you're going back and will be doing more food reviews. I thoroughly enjoyed reading your last reviews. Have a great time!
Thanks so much! I'm really happy you enjoyed my past reviews, and I can't wait to start another round.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sue and co View Post
Looking forward to your new reviews.
Thanks for reading! I know there's going to be some amazing food ahead.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iloveeeyore View Post
YAY! Have a wonderful trip and yummy meals!
Thanks so much! Just about a week and a half to go.
Old 02-26-2012, 10:41 PM   #9
Belle5
DIS Veteran

I was THRILLED to get on the board tonight and see that DonaldDoleWhip was heading back to the "world". I can't tell you how much I will be looking forward to your reviews!

Belle5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 01:05 AM   #10
DonaldDoleWhip
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belle5 View Post
I was THRILLED to get on the board tonight and see that DonaldDoleWhip was heading back to the "world". I can't tell you how much I will be looking forward to your reviews!
Thanks so much! I'm really excited about this upcoming trip, and I just know a lot of the food will be worth sharing.
Old 02-27-2012, 07:15 AM   #11
GoofySon'sMom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonaldDoleWhip View Post
Glad you're here! I also can't wait for your next set of reviews - your proposed restaurant list looked awesome.
Course there have been a few changes made! Today is my ADR day and the system is down! As soon as I can make them, I will post our (I hope) final list!

Mom & Son - The Last Time? August 2013 ~ Mom & Son Take on Spring Break - March 2013
Mom & Son Head to Food & Wine - November 2012 ~ Mom & Son - One More Time with Dad! August 23rd - Sept 3rd 2012
Mom and Son Take on the Land! - July 2010 Trip Report
- Mom and Son Going Back -Another 10 days of Deluxe Dining 8/25 - 9/5/2011
Mom and Son Eat the World -11 days of Deluxe Dining ~Mom and Son Eat the World Part 2-With Dad this Time

Offsite 1987, 1988, 1990; Grand Floridian - 1991 (Honeymoon); Port Orleans French Quarter - 1993, 1994; Animal Kingdom Lodge - July 2004 (DS's First Trip); Wilderness Lodge - July 2005; Yacht Club - August 2006; Mom & Son Weekend @ Contemporary Resort - April 2007; Port Orleans Riverside - August 2007; Mom & Son Trip to POP - August 2008; Family trip to POP - December 2009; Disneyland's Paradise Pier Hotel - July 2010; Pop Century - August 2011; AKL/CSR/ASMo - August 2012; Mom & Son Food & Wine Trip to ASMu - November 2012; Mom & Son Trip to Art of Animation - March 2013; Mom & Son Trip to Caribbean Beach - August 2013; Disney Dining Diva Trip at Pop - December 2013
GoofySon'sMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 10:34 AM   #12
mousegear
DIS Veteran

I am definitely joining! Very excited to wait for your reviews!!!
Old 02-27-2012, 10:52 AM   #13
annnewjerz
If I had a world of my own, everything would be nonsense.

Looking forward to your reviews!

We just returned from our trip and while there had to make the tough decision between our first time at Cali Grill (which everyone recommended to me) or Artist Point. I listened to the masses even though I really wanted to try AP and I have to say, I was disappointed with Cali Grill.

I knew the atmosphere wouldn't be the same, but the noise coupled with the swarms of children (I'm not kidding when I say they were running full speed back and forth through the restaurant) and the lack of enforcement of the dress code all left a bit of a bad taste in my mouth. The food was good, but not great (I was brought out the completely wrong first course and my Husband's entree was just warm).

We decided to skip dessert and head over to the Territory Lounge instead and order dessert from the AP menu and if the dessert was an idication of what the apps and main courses would have been like, I'm really bummed we missed it. The Berry Cobbler I had was hands-down the best dessert of the trip!

Live and learn! We won't boycott CG, but next time I'm sticking with my gut and we'll heading to AP .
Old 02-27-2012, 04:10 PM   #14
Smiling Cheshire Cat
DIS Veteran

I really enjoyed your last report and very much looking forward to this one beginning!

Rachel
AKL, ASMovies(2), ASMusic(2), ASSports, Beach Club, Boardwalk, Caribbean Beach, Contemporary, Dolphin, French Quarter, Gaylord Palms, Grand Californian, Grand Floridian, Kidani Village, Polynesian, Pop Century(2), Riverside, Wilderness Lodge
Smiling Cheshire Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 05:45 PM   #15
DonaldDoleWhip
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoofySon'sMom View Post
Course there have been a few changes made! Today is my ADR day and the system is down! As soon as I can make them, I will post our (I hope) final list!
The changes looked great - I think you have a solid balance of signature and non-signature meals.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mousegear View Post
I am definitely joining! Very excited to wait for your reviews!!!
Thanks so much - I haven't been this excited about a dining review in quite a while.

Quote:
Originally Posted by annnewjerz View Post
Looking forward to your reviews!

We just returned from our trip and while there had to make the tough decision between our first time at Cali Grill (which everyone recommended to me) or Artist Point. I listened to the masses even though I really wanted to try AP and I have to say, I was disappointed with Cali Grill.

I knew the atmosphere wouldn't be the same, but the noise coupled with the swarms of children (I'm not kidding when I say they were running full speed back and forth through the restaurant) and the lack of enforcement of the dress code all left a bit of a bad taste in my mouth. The food was good, but not great (I was brought out the completely wrong first course and my Husband's entree was just warm).

We decided to skip dessert and head over to the Territory Lounge instead and order dessert from the AP menu and if the dessert was an idication of what the apps and main courses would have been like, I'm really bummed we missed it. The Berry Cobbler I had was hands-down the best dessert of the trip!

Live and learn! We won't boycott CG, but next time I'm sticking with my gut and we'll heading to AP .
Aw, sorry that California Grill wasn't amazing for you either. The rumors of a renovation sparked our interest in trying it again, and we've enjoyed many of our past meals there. Plus, in order to mitigate the risk, I'll probably just stick to some things that sound really great (such as a few appetizers) in lieu of a mediocre $40 entree. And hopefully Artist Point will be as great for you as it usually is for us.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smiling Cheshire Cat View Post
I really enjoyed your last report and very much looking forward to this one beginning!
Thanks so much - hopefully the days will fly by really quickly!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: