DVC RESALES
DVC RESALES

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Vacation Club > DVC-Mousecellaneous
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-11-2013, 02:52 PM   #16
MiramarQE
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVC Dude View Post
well, it may be that we are approaching the end of the year and the bad old annual dues is coming up and the holiday shopping season is about to begin

this is a normal cycle for timeshares
This is what we're waiting for - people that are looking to sell to cover their Christmas gift bills.

With VGF hype dying, Poly announcement 18 months away and Christmas gift bills coming due, we're betting we'll see a Jan 2014 "correction" in resale selling prices.
MiramarQE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 03:37 PM   #17
DVC Dude
Disney World Rocks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nabas View Post
According to dvcnews.com, VGF sales are lagging:

http://dvcnews.com/index.php/dvc-pro...loridian-sales

Does today's article indicate that direct DVC prices have finally reached their limit?

What impact will that have on the resale market?
I think this is a short blip as there was HUGE demand initially and then now a slowdown. If Disney really wants to move points, then they should offer a Black Friday special like they did in 2010 when that was the LAST time I bought direct from Disney for BLT.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiramarQE View Post
This is what we're waiting for - people that are looking to sell to cover their Christmas gift bills.

With VGF hype dying, Poly announcement 18 months away and Christmas gift bills coming due, we're betting we'll see a Jan 2014 "correction" in resale selling prices.
It depends on the resort your want, but yes, that is a perfect time to be shopping for good deals.
DVC Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-11-2013, 04:02 PM   #18
sndral
DIS Veteran

Quote:

Does today's article indicate that direct DVC prices have finally reached their limit?

The article reports that potential buyers are turned off by the high per point price and the high point requirements to stay there. The steep decline from 220,000 pts sold in July v. 75,000 in Sept. is pretty amazing IMO. As lovely as the GF is, part of the experience for me is the service. When they announced GF DVC I expected them to have high pt costs but to offer concierge like the wildly popular AKV units, sort of like a DVC Sugarloaf building.
VGF are so expensive that I'm not sure the fact that sales there fell off a cliff is a good predictor of the resale market, tho'.
Old 11-11-2013, 04:25 PM   #19
DVC Dude
Disney World Rocks!

For all VGF has to offer and it is a great resort, the major negatives to me are:

1. High buy in price ($150)
2. Higher annual dues ($5.41) vs BLT $4.50
3. High point cost to book rooms (about 25% more than BLT rooms)
DVC Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 05:35 PM   #20
NoleFan
DIS Veteran

Quote:
For all VGF has to offer and it is a great resort, the major negatives to me are:

I agree. In addition, I don't think staying @ VGF on a regular basis for a family vacation appeals to everyone. I view it more as a couple's retreat, stay with older kids, or occasional stay during the holidays. Other resorts are more appealing to me to stay at on a regular basis although VGF looks very nice.

Contracts seems to be staying on the market longer, small contracts aren't moving so fast, there seem to be tons of SSR contracts. I think seller's still have high asking prices in mind but many buyer's are waiting for that great deal to come along vs. a few months ago. I contracted on my small BWV contract back in March for $65/pt. Direct prices were $130 so although stripped of 2013 points, it was a good deal for me. Now, BWV is in the $80's stripped or not. I think people who want to save a bit buying resale are buying although not as fast and there are still those holding out for that great deal. Doesn't appear to be quite as much of a seller's market IMO
NoleFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 12:43 AM   #21
Minniesgal
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoleFan View Post
I agree. In addition, I don't think staying @ VGF on a regular basis for a family vacation appeals to everyone. I view it more as a couple's retreat, stay with older kids, or occasional stay during the holidays. Other resorts are more appealing to me to stay at on a regular basis although VGF looks very nice. Contracts seems to be staying on the market longer, small contracts aren't moving so fast, there seem to be tons of SSR contracts. I think seller's still have high asking prices in mind but many buyer's are waiting for that great deal to come along vs. a few months ago. I contracted on my small BWV contract back in March for $65/pt. Direct prices were $130 so although stripped of 2013 points, it was a good deal for me. Now, BWV is in the $80's stripped or not. I think people who want to save a bit buying resale are buying although not as fast and there are still those holding out for that great deal. Doesn't appear to be quite as much of a seller's market IMO
And I think that is part of the problem with VGF sales. A lot of people bought small add ones to existing contracts to tag a few nights on to a vacation staying at other resorts for the most of their stay. I think DVC saw a lot more buyers buying in the 40-60 point range than usual.
Minniesgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 01:08 AM   #22
McCrae
Mouseketeer

Quote:

I wonder if the Govt shut down and talk of falling into another recession is behind this..... Maybe it put people off buying?
McCrae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 06:31 AM   #23
Nabas
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by McCrae View Post
I wonder if the Govt shut down and talk of falling into another recession is behind this..... Maybe it put people off buying?
I think what has hurt VGF the most is the price.

Comparing a room at the Contemporary to a room at the Grand Floridian, the Grand Floridian has about a 15-20% premium.

However, taking into account points/night and MF, a room at VGF has about a 50% premium over BLT.

For example, a week in a Standard View Studio for spring break:

- BLT: 139 points X $4.50/point = $626
- BVW: 108 points X $5.84/point = $630
- AKV: 116 points X $5.67/point = $658
- VWL: 127 points X $5.79/point = $735
- BCV: 134 points X $5.65/point = $757
- VGF: 169 points X $5.41/point = $914

Please recall that BLT's sales were brisk even though it opened in 2009 in the middle of a recession. BLT's high purchase price could be partially justified because, after the buy-in, it is actually cheaper to stay at BLT than other Deluxe Resorts.

With both the GF vs. Contemporary having been around for decades, the 15-20% premium should be based on historical data. Over the years, Disney should have adjusted rack rates to reflect what guests were willing to pay in order for Disney to reach equilibrium between the two hotels.

By pricing VGF at a 50% premium over BLT, it seems to me DVD completely ignored what price could be supported by historical data.

Disney simply overpriced VGF.
Nabas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 10:41 AM   #24
SFlaDisneyfans
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nabas

Comparing a room at the Contemporary to a room at the Grand Floridian, the Grand Floridian has about a 15-20% premium.

However, taking into account points/night and MF, a room at VGF has about a 50% premium over BLT.

Please recall that BLT's sales were brisk even though it opened in 2009 in the middle of a recession. BLT's high purchase price could be partially justified because, after the buy-in, it is actually cheaper to stay at BLT than other Deluxe Resorts.

With both the GF vs. Contemporary having been around for decades, the 15-20% premium should be based on historical data. Over the years, Disney should have adjusted rack rates to reflect what guests were willing to pay in order for Disney to reach equilibrium between the two hotels.

By pricing VGF at a 50% premium over BLT, it seems to me DVD completely ignored what price could be supported by historical data.

This is leading me to wonder if there will be a sizeable market of VGF resales of 1st time contracts (not small addons) as new owners become aware of the point price discrepancy of VGF versus other WDW DVC resorts and look to sell VGF contracts for more cost efficient resale contracts.
SFlaDisneyfans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 11:14 AM   #25
DougEMG
DIS Veteran

Quote:

I was a little tempted to buy after seeing the model suites, but after sleeping on it, decided that the high price, dues and point costs didn't make it a very good deal for us.

The biggest issue for me was the point cost. I could stay in a BWV 1 bedroom standard view for the same points as a standard view studio at VGF and no matter how nice the studio is, it can't beat the space of a 1 bedroom.
Old 11-12-2013, 11:33 AM   #26
montrealdisneylovers
Mouseketeer

Quote:

The fact that BLT sold briskly in the midst of a recession makes me think that the resale restrictions may be starting to have an impact on direct sales.

VGF is the first DVC to start selling new since the resale restrictions were implemented. Prior to this, the resale value held up quite well and I think that many new people were more willing to chance a purchase knowing that they could sell easily if they decided the product was not quite what they expected.

At such a high price point, people must be asking questions or researching resale before buying. If they see that the value will drop substantially, they may rethink such a large purchase. Although we all know that DVC is basically a glorified timeshare, the resale restrictions make it appear as more of a timeshare than a "club" even to the newbie.
Old 11-12-2013, 11:36 AM   #27
NoleFan
DIS Veteran

It will be interesting to see how they roll things out for Poly- $$$/pt & point chart. Although, the Poly seems to round up quite the demand, many buyers still take $$ & point chart into account. If the overall cost is too high, it can still out weigh the demand...
Old 11-12-2013, 05:28 PM   #28
MiramarQE
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoleFan View Post
It will be interesting to see how they roll things out for Poly- $$$/pt & point chart. Although, the Poly seems to round up quite the demand, many buyers still take $$ & point chart into account. If the overall cost is too high, it can still out weigh the demand...
Poly DVC will have many advantages over VGF:

1. You're not in an "out-building" off to the side and away from the main resort. Even the over-water Bungalows will have reasonable access to all the Poly amenities. (Thje VGF aren't as bad as BCV relative to the main resort location - but it's close. - with apologies to BCV owner, of course!)
2. The Poly has a large, entrenched fan base - my first trip was in 1982, you have people making an annual trek there that they have made for 30 years! Lots of people have been waiting a LONG time for this.
3. The Poly takes you away (for you Jimmy Buffett fans - to that "one particular harbor") - the GF just takes your cash.

I expect Poly asking price at $180/point, with studios starting 20% higher (minimum 150 pts/wk, 180 if you see any water) than VGF.
MiramarQE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 05:52 PM   #29
NoleFan
DIS Veteran

I agree that the Poly is highly desirable & appeals to many. However, some buyers will only pay so much $$ pp & nightly points. At a certain price point, it prices itself out. I love the Poly but would only pay so much $$ & points to stay there.
Old 11-12-2013, 05:53 PM   #30
SugarLoaf
~@~ VGF ~@~

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiramarQE View Post
Poly DVC will have many advantages over VGF:

1. You're not in an "out-building" off to the side and away from the main resort. Even the over-water Bungalows will have reasonable access to all the Poly amenities. (Thje VGF aren't as bad as BCV relative to the main resort location - but it's close. - with apologies to BCV owner, of course!)
2. The Poly has a large, entrenched fan base - my first trip was in 1982, you have people making an annual trek there that they have made for 30 years! Lots of people have been waiting a LONG time for this.
3. The Poly takes you away (for you Jimmy Buffett fans - to that "one particular harbor") - the GF just takes your cash.

I expect Poly asking price at $180/point, with studios starting 20% higher (minimum 150 pts/wk, 180 if you see any water) than VGF.
I have to say I feel the total opposite. And would assume that the Poly-lovers would feel the total opposite of how I feel lol. But when I stay at the Grand Floridian vs. the Polynesian (which I only have once, because I didn't care for it in comparison), I feel like i'm in a totally different world, of grand victorian times. I just love it.

I have also stayed in the outer buildings of the main hotel, and find the walk from the villas to be about the same. It feels very close, and it was a very easy walk. I actually liked it even better, because I found myself going through the front of the resort a lot more rather than the back. And the side door by the pool and stairs was very convenient too. I also loved being right next to the terrace and Beaches pool bar.

SugarLoaf is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: