Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-26-2013, 10:10 PM   #1
LJSquishy
DIS Veteran

AKV or BWV?

I'm having a difficult time deciding on a deluxe DVC resort (renting points)! It would be a trip of 4 adults, no kids. My husband and I would have our own room and my parents would also have their own room.

Initially I wanted to stay at AKV because we LOVED Animal Kingdom park and the resort grounds look beautiful. I also think the rooms look very nice although I've heard they are dark inside (which we found to be the case at CSR). If we book at AKV, we will be trying to get a Value studio or a Standard studio at Jambo House since we don't care about the room view too much. My parents will probably book a Savanna studio because my dad will spend more time in the room.

BWV intrigues me because it is within walking distance to Epcot & DHS. Well, walking distance for my husband and myself...my dad probably couldn't walk there. DHS was our least favorite park (1/2 day park for us), but we enjoy 2 days at Epcot. The room decor of BWV is not attractive to us so that is a downside. We would book a Preferred/BW studio. I am a little concerned about the lack of a quick service breakfast (we don't want a muffin for breakfast) in the morning.

Are both resorts pretty equal in terms of the value, deluxe feeling, etc? We'd love to stay at The Poly but we definitely can't do that. BLT was also an option but walking 10 minutes to get to the monorail kind of defeats the purpose of staying at a monorail resort.

Me-29: -&- DH-34:
LJSquishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 07:41 AM   #2
alice99
DIS Veteran

I have stayed at bothe and definitely prefer Boardwalk because of location.

Boats (or walking) to Hollywood Studios and Epcot.
In the evenings you can stroll the Boardwalk.

In addition, if you are using bus transportation, AKL is further from everything.

I would not stay at AKL unless I had a car.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
alice99 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-27-2013, 09:13 AM   #3
catheren
DIS Veteran

We have stayed at both resorts, and both are lovely. But they are 2 different resorts.
Stay at AKV if you want quite, relaxing, after a day at the parks. And you don't mind having to take a bus to every park, or even dining at other resorts. Yes, the rooms are dark, but it part of the theme of being in African Lodge.

Stay at BWV if you want to have nightly entertainment on the BW, and so many restaurants to choose in walking distance - Swan Dolphin YC and BC. Easy access to Epcot and DHS, either by boat or a short walk.

The bakery at BW also serves breakfast sandwiches.
catheren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 02:45 PM   #4
Missyrose
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by LJSquishy View Post
I'm having a difficult time deciding on a deluxe DVC resort (renting points)! It would be a trip of 4 adults, no kids. My husband and I would have our own room and my parents would also have their own room.

Initially I wanted to stay at AKV because we LOVED Animal Kingdom park and the resort grounds look beautiful. I also think the rooms look very nice although I've heard they are dark inside (which we found to be the case at CSR). If we book at AKV, we will be trying to get a Value studio or a Standard studio at Jambo House since we don't care about the room view too much. My parents will probably book a Savanna studio because my dad will spend more time in the room.

BWV intrigues me because it is within walking distance to Epcot & DHS. Well, walking distance for my husband and myself...my dad probably couldn't walk there. DHS was our least favorite park (1/2 day park for us), but we enjoy 2 days at Epcot. The room decor of BWV is not attractive to us so that is a downside. We would book a Preferred/BW studio. I am a little concerned about the lack of a quick service breakfast (we don't want a muffin for breakfast) in the morning.

Are both resorts pretty equal in terms of the value, deluxe feeling, etc? We'd love to stay at The Poly but we definitely can't do that. BLT was also an option but walking 10 minutes to get to the monorail kind of defeats the purpose of staying at a monorail resort.
If you want a value studio, you had better have someone to rent from before the 11-month window opens, those villas go quickly. The villas at AKV are darker than other resorts, but nothing that would keep me from booking again.

With a studio, you'll have a fridge, toaster and microwave. So you could always do a small grocery order and do breakfasts in your room.

I'd almost always pick BWV over AKV because of location. There are so many dining options at the Epcot resorts and in the World Showcase, the location just can't be beat. And FYI, it doesn't take 10 minutes to get from BLT to the monorail, it takes maybe two minutes. You can also walk to MK in less than 10 minutes.
'86, '90, '94, '98, '09, '10 -- Off site, 10/2011 -- CR, 3/2012 -- Windsor Hills, 10/2012 -- BCV/AKV-Jambo, 01/2013 -- BWV, 5/2013 -- BLT, 10/2013 -- YC CL, 5/2014 -- BWV, 08/2014 -- VGF/BLT, 12/2014 -- BWV, 4/2015 -- BLT

Missyrose is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 05:05 AM   #5
happymommy
DIS Veteran

I would choose BWV also. We love that area! There are so many choices for dining, and agree you can make breakfast in a studio even. Eggs are easy in a microwave! Bring a few condiments (or you can always grab some at counter service places if needed).

Previous WDW vacations include:
CR as a child with parents 1992 offsite twice 1993 Honeymoon GF 1995 BC 1996 SOG 2000 GF 2001 BWV 2003 (spring break) CR 2003 (summer) AKL 2003 (Christmas break including NYE) AKL concierge 2005 summer BWV 2006 April Swan 2006 August Dolphin 2007 March AKL 2007 August Dolphin 2008 March 7 Night Western on the Magic
2008 August (The Dark Side) PBH 2008 Dec BWI 2009 March Swan 2010 March Offsite (Grande Vista) 2010 December BWV plus 2 nights Marriott's Harbour Lake and 3 bonus nights snowed in at the Aiport Renaissance 2011 March Offsite (Marriott's Harbour Lake) 2012 August Offsite (Marriott's Grande Vista and Sabal Palms) March 2014 BWV
happymommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 05:51 AM   #6
DreamerWDW
Doing what dreamers do

[QUOTE=Missyrose;49936899]I'd almost always pick BWV over AKV because of location[QUOTE]

Agreed. BWV is a great resort and the location is amazing.
Old 10-28-2013, 06:00 AM   #7
DisneyDmbNut

When You Wish Upon A Star...
WL Vet

You mentioned it being far for your dad to walk? I would say AKL..

We had a girls weekend in August and while I loved staying at BWV, it was a HAUL from the lobby... We joked about the labyrinth of halls just to get to the elevator.

If you pick AKL Jambo house, ask to be close to lobby and you will be close to pools, lobb,y food.

People always talk about how dark AKL ( and WL ) are, I don't understand... Maybe because I have all dark wood and colors in my house, but it feels warm and rich to me..not dark and gloomy.

Lastly, I love AKL because there is so much to do at the hotel itself..we spent a week there in June and we loved hanging around the resort!

Last edited by DisneyDmbNut; 10-29-2013 at 10:06 AM.
DisneyDmbNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 08:13 AM   #8
darkwing818
DIS Veteran

[QUOTE=DreamerWDW;49941319][QUOTE=Missyrose;49936899]I'd almost always pick BWV over AKV because of location
Quote:

Agreed. BWV is a great resort and the location is amazing.
Another vote for BWV....
darkwing818 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 03:48 PM   #9
BuzzLiteyear
To infinity and beyond....or just drop me off at the Contemporary Resort!

Location: 978.19 miles just East of due North of CR (1161 by roads)

Based on what you said (and my undying love for AKV) I would suggest AKV

It sounds to me that overall the walking distance isn't going to play a big factor. AKV is a vacation within a vacation. We've never had any transportation issues and rarely have we used our van to get around due to the distance from the other parks. If your dad would enjoy hanging out in the room, a Savanna view is a great choice. Good luck with your decision.
BuzzLiteyear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 05:05 PM   #10
ckb_nc
Mouseketeer

AKV is a vacation in a vacation as someone else said; my wife loved being able to sit on the balcony and see the animals. It was insanely quiet and relaxing - a world apart from the parks. In fact, it is the polar opposite of the Boardwalk to me.

We had a van and drove everywhere (and the grocery store is really close to AKV)
ckb_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 07:21 PM   #11
etrenne
Earning My Ears

I vote for AKL, too! The comments about it being a vacation within a vacation are right on. It really feels like you are in a different world. Just walking into the lobby-- there are these vaulted ceilings with these huge papery chandeliers and a wall of windows looking out onto the savannah. There's always African, drummy music playing underneath all the chatter, and you can hear the waterfall off to the side. And it smells amazing-- Boma or Jiko has a wood-fired oven that just smells up the place in the best possible way. And, since it's a DVC resort, the cast members always greet you with a "Welcome home, " which I totally dig. It doesn't feel like coming back to your hotel, it feels like coming back to more of your vacation.

It IS quite a haul by bus to Epcot and Magic Kingdom, and is not walkable to any of the parks. On the plus side, I've never had to wait for a second bus when returning to hotel after Wishes or Fantasmic.

Whichever you choose, though, you'll have a magical time!
etrenne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 06:16 AM   #12
Theta
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckb_nc View Post
We had a van and drove everywhere (and the grocery store is really close to AKV)
Which grocery store is close to AKV?

~26.2 x 8~
Theta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 10:09 AM   #13
DisneyDmbNut

When You Wish Upon A Star...
WL Vet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theta View Post
Which grocery store is close to AKV?
There is a Publix and Target just down a back road to 192. It took me 8 minutes to get there...make a right at the first light after the guard shack coming out and follow the road to 192. Target is just down the road on the right (Super Target )

DisneyDmbNut is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: