Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-27-2013, 10:27 PM   #1
noahdove
DIS Veteran

Groups of kids

Sad to say, that I will have to cancel my April Disney Dream cruisedue to some non fixable problems. However, I am trying to remedy MY disappointment. What weeks are NOT good to go and have an awesome time at the resort? I know there are cheer groups, marathons, etc. I know I am coming to the right place as you all will help me with this. Thank you for all your insight and help with this.
Old 10-27-2013, 11:16 PM   #2
jlk806
DanceDisneyGirl

Stayaway from the 1st 2 weeks of December..
Pop Century April 2006 - Pop Century August 200 - Pop Century September 2009 - Pop Century/Animal Kingdom Villa Kidani - Aug/Sept 2010!! - Last minute girls trip Caribbean Beach - July 2011! - Pop Century / Animal Kingdom Villas Kidani - Aug/ Sept 2011!! - Art Of Animation / Beach Club Villas / Kidani Village- Aug/Sept 2012!
Wilderness Lodge Villas/Beach Club Villas - Aug 2013!!
Pop Century - Quick Pre-Christmas trip - December 2013!
Beach Club Villas - June 2014 leading up to Disney Cruise July!

jlk806 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-27-2013, 11:21 PM   #3
blondietink
DIS Veteran

January is the marathon, I believe and you also have the dreaded Brazilian tour groups all month. Cheer groups in mid-February also ... a friend of mine went during President's week and said they would never go then again. Between the unsupervised cheer groups and winter break families, she hated it.
Old 10-28-2013, 11:55 AM   #4
minnie mum
Unapologetic Disney Fan(atic)

Do you still have a month in mind? Still thinking about April? You'll want to avoid the week around Easter. You'll also have to consider the larger crowds during Spring Break, which stretches from early March to April.

If you are contempating other months then there are of course more things to consider. Avoid any long weekend. Avoid the marathon weekends. You can check out the WWOS web pages for dates where you can expect large youth groups. There are several cheer and dance competitions. January is one of the months where one sees the invasion of the BTGs.

The youth groups generally don't have a great impact on the parks, so as long as you avoid those resorts known to house these groups, you should be fine.
minnie mum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 01:19 PM   #5
jimandami
DIS Veteran

We have been the last week of April/first week of May and didn't find the crowds to be too bad.
jimandami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 05:26 PM   #6
JennyDrake
Darkwing Duck's Biggest Fan

Are you wanting to avoid CROWDS or groups of kids???? Big difference.
Old 10-28-2013, 07:47 PM   #7
noahdove
DIS Veteran

Well, since I have to rethink this disappointment, I want to avoid groups and crowds. I would really like to go early May, but, once again, I am pondering the crowds and groups....I usually go in August, but, I really don't want to wait that long but, if I have to I will I want good prices and prefer free dining too...but, I am listening to you all for help with this..thank you
Old 10-28-2013, 09:28 PM   #8
minnie mum
Unapologetic Disney Fan(atic)

Quote:
Originally Posted by noahdove View Post
Well, since I have to rethink this disappointment, I want to avoid groups and crowds. I would really like to go early May, but, once again, I am pondering the crowds and groups....I usually go in August, but, I really don't want to wait that long but, if I have to I will I want good prices and prefer free dining too...but, I am listening to you all for help with this..thank you
So in a nutshell you want to go when there are no groups of kids (or any kind of crowds irrespective of age), during a value season and/or during free dining, and before August. Well, wouldn't we all.

To check on a record of historical resort discounts, have a look at mousesavers.com. That site can also give you the different value 'seasons' for each resort.

Check out easywdw.com's monthly calendars to look at crowd levels. I find his site more reliable than touringplans.com.

To check for the presence of large youth groups, check out the Wide World of Sports (WDW) website. You can check each month for lists of major competitions (like the Dance/Cheer championships). And remember that the BTGs are usually present primarily in January and July.

We would all love to be in a nearly empty park, with a major resort discount, during perfect weather. Unfortunately everything is a compromise. Hopefully you can find a set of dates that fulfill most of your wishes.
minnie mum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 07:54 AM   #9
noahdove
DIS Veteran

Thank you, Minnie mum..I have been to WDW several times and like I said before most were in August. I will check those websites that you suggested to figure out the crowds/dance etc. We haven't told the children yet as my daughter wants to pray on it, and to have the right words and I am praying that I can have a backup plan in place so if they cry..again thank you all for your help with this disappointment...these boards are the best..
Old 10-29-2013, 11:57 AM   #10
KonaKaiTom
DIS Veteran

I would rather have a novacaine free root canal than ever be in the World with the cheer groups. We were on Kilimanjaro Safari with an entire flock of cheerleaders -- they decided to compete with each other and cheered for everything they saw. I had enough perky to last a lifetime.

Tom
Old 10-29-2013, 02:07 PM   #11
tarak
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by KonaKaiTom View Post
I would rather have a novacaine free root canal than ever be in the World with the cheer groups. We were on Kilimanjaro Safari with an entire flock of cheerleaders -- they decided to compete with each other and cheered for everything they saw. I had enough perky to last a lifetime.

Tom
at that last comment. A friend of mine has experienced that as well.

We traveled this past January (last week through Feb. 1). The parks had low crowds (we used easy WDW for park recommendations). Weather was perfect. No rain the whole week and warm enough for swimming every day. We only ran into one issue with a Brazilian tour group and it wasn't a behavior issue, just the mass of people hitting the FP entrance at once, which made FP less than fast. We learned quickly to spot the tour flag and head in the opposite direction.
tarak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 02:24 PM   #12
JennyDrake
Darkwing Duck's Biggest Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by KonaKaiTom View Post

Tom
DITTO FOR ME!!!!

I have been AT LEAST 8 times during Pop Warner and have ever, ever had the issues as with cheerleaders in April.

In fact, I am Childless by Choice yet I've never had an issue with PW kids!! I find them to be polite, respectful and well chaperoned and I have been in the same value resort with them at least 6 times. So my vote for low crowds goes to early December.

In May you will encounter hoards of school groups--worse at Epcot and on Fridays, but the Epcot F&W Field trip groups are usually gone around dusk. One year a CM at the gate told me they were expecting 800 middle school kids that day.!!

March is now much more crowded than years past. I've been surprised/dismayed at the crowds when I have been--and no, it wasn't the week before or after Easter.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: