Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies > Theme Parks Community
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-30-2013, 06:19 PM   #106
patzor
Mouseketeer

So I finally finished mine last night. Wore it today to make sure it fit, and didn't fall off (I think it's more secure now). Started with a paint pen, but I didn't like how the purple was coming out. So I switched to a purple nail polish, used painters tape and went to town on the whole band. Did 3 coats like that. Then, I took the painters tape off, and drew the tiger stripes how I wanted them, and then used a paper clip to dab the nail polish in the spots. I then put 3 or 4 coats of clear on it. The first coat of clear made some of the stripes run a little bit, but from a distance you can't really tell.

It's not the best looking band, but it is now purple and gold, and has tiger stripes, and that's all I care about.

patzor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 06:53 PM   #107
Robbi
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by patzor View Post
So I finally finished mine last night. Wore it today to make sure it fit, and didn't fall off (I think it's more secure now). Started with a paint pen, but I didn't like how the purple was coming out. So I switched to a purple nail polish, used painters tape and went to town on the whole band. Did 3 coats like that. Then, I took the painters tape off, and drew the tiger stripes how I wanted them, and then used a paper clip to dab the nail polish in the spots. I then put 3 or 4 coats of clear on it. The first coat of clear made some of the stripes run a little bit, but from a distance you can't really tell.

It's not the best looking band, but it is now purple and gold, and has tiger stripes, and that's all I care about.

Your band is great! Geaux tigers!
Robbi is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-03-2013, 10:41 PM   #108
Kaelorian
Wishing upon a star...

Confirming our mb's worked fine today without any problems Even the one with a bazillion coats directly over the mickey head for those that were worried. Got so many compliments! The CM that checked us in at POR thought they were new ones from them!
Old 12-04-2013, 12:12 AM   #109
pennyg
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaelorian View Post
Oh! The clear polish we used was only the 2 dollar kind, the others were expensive. I don't think it matters much though. We've slowly been switching to "safer" polish, and we didn't use those on the mbs. The more "organic" polishes would definitely not hold up.
Do you remember the brand of the clear glitter polish and where you bought it? Ours came in today and I was thinking of doing the clear to keep the color but have the sparkle.

All Stars Music January 2014
Off site October 1999
Off site October 1996
pennyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 08:39 AM   #110
jimandami
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by pennyg View Post

Do you remember the brand of the clear glitter polish and where you bought it? Ours came in today and I was thinking of doing the clear to keep the color but have the sparkle.
Not this person but we used Sally Hanson no chip clear glitter polish from Target. Bands are working great and we are getting tons of comments!
jimandami is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 04:32 PM   #111
Aidan's Mommy
Mouseketeer

I used the Sally Hanson diamond strength kind.
Old 12-04-2013, 04:53 PM   #112
pennyg
Mouseketeer

Thank you both!

All Stars Music January 2014
Off site October 1999
Off site October 1996
pennyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 12:41 AM   #113
weesignlanguage
DIS Veteran

Anyone else have pics to share??? I am trying to get ideas for my red band!! Want to do it Minnie style but not sure where to start! Love the glitter idea for sure! Love to see more pics of people's designs!
Old 12-21-2013, 08:43 AM   #114
*NikkiBell*
The WDW Merchandise Walking Bible

DISboards Moderator

Just wanted to confirm that my band worked fine two weeks ago. I put rhinestones throughout it.

disboards.com/blog.wdwinfo.com
Follow Me on Twitter

2011 - GC, Swan 2010 - AKLV
2009 - AKLV, DxDP/OKW, DDP 2008 - SSR, PFTS, MNSSHP/AKLV, 1st DVC Trip, DxDP 2007 - PC, MNSSHP 2006-7 - POFQ, Premium DP 2006 - PC 2005 - POFQ, Premium DP 2004 - PC, Silver Plan 1998 - ASMu 1997-94 - Off-Site
*NikkiBell* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 09:13 AM   #115
::danielle::
Mouseketeer

Thank you to all who have contributed to this thread! We used nailpolish to paint ours and it was a huge hit! CM's constantly asked us about it. My kids loved all the attention!

Heads up, it takes at least 2 coats of nailpolish to cover the bands. The first coat dries quickly and can get streaky and clumpy. I advise working in small sections from one end of the band to the other.

"Laughter is timeless, imagination has no age, dreams are forever." ~Walt Disney.

Disneyland 2009 (Candy Cane Inn)

Disney World March 2-11 2012 (POP, WBC, POR split stay)

Disney World Dec 14-21 (BLT)

Disney World Solo Trip May 22-25 (POP)

Anxiously Awaiting:
Disneyland June 17-22 (VGC)

Disney World Sept 18-21 (TBD)
::danielle:: is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 03:28 PM   #116
Marshay
I'm Goofy for Mickey. Don't worry if you get a bit Sneezy -- it's just the Pixie Dust!!

Also reporting back that our decorated MB worked great!

We used 3-4 coats of nail polish (99 cent kind), added gems, rhinestones, nail stickers and used sharpies. Put two top coats to seal it all in. Never had a problem, didn't chip or crack either.

CMs and other guests loved them...got tons of compliments.

Manager at OKW asked to take photo to give to their marketing dept to show how guests are personalizing (and I'm sure how to figure out ways to make money doing so).

We were going to purchase the bandits originally but after hearing that they tend to fall off, we decided to decorate. So glad we did!
Marshay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 03:35 PM   #117
morethananyonex
DIS Veteran

Wow you guys, awesome job on all your bands! You are all making me so jealous we don't get ours until we check in. Oh well, I guess I'll just admire everyone's here
morethananyonex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 06:38 PM   #118
Sparkly

Then a bunch of people started commenting on it
I wondered if people really lived there and got to watch them every night

We won't get our bands until after check in too. I brought some glitter nail polish and am hoping for a glitter effect with white dots and silver glitter hidden Mickeys (My MB colour will be red). I'll just bring the polish with and paint it when we get there.

Nov 2003, Feb 2005,Aug 2006, Apr 2008, Feb 2011, Feb 2012, Feb 2013!, Feb 2014, March 2015

Sparkly is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 10:51 PM   #119
gidgetgoes
tiki girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimandami View Post
They look great! Did you use spray paint?
i used nail polish. just whatever they had at target. i used a thick silver sparkly base coat, did two coats, then went over it with a transparent glitter coat that made it really catch the light. the snowflakes are stuck on jolee stickers from Michael's, and i reinforced them with super glue. did the same thing on the other, but with gold and gingerbread stickers. every single cast member we encountered commented on them. really, really fun. had zero problem with them, they worked flawlessly. we have another trip in January, i'll have two more bands, must think of new ways to do them up.
Old 12-22-2013, 08:39 PM   #120
stormer
DIS Veteran

Wow, they all look great. I would have never thought to try this. I can't wait to get mine now!
October 1994 Port Orleans / Oct. 1996 Caribbean Beach Resort / Oct. 1999 Off site / Oct. 2004 Contemporary Resort / Oct. 2006 Animal Kingdom Lodge / Aug.2007 Port Orleans Riverside / April 2008 Saratoga Springs Villas & Wilderness Lodge Villas/ Oct. 2008 Old Key West / Feb. 2009 Polynesian Resort / Aug. 2009 Animal Kingdom Lodge Kidani Village/ Feb. 2010 Carribbean Beach Resort / Aug. 2010 Bay Lake Tower / Feb. 2011 Grand Floridian and Beach Club Villas / Aug. 2011 Boardwalk Villas / Aug. 2012 Animal Kingdom Lodge Kidani Village/ Feb. 2013 Coronado Springs / Aug. 2013 Boardwalk Villas / Feb. 2014 Coronado Springs / Aug. 2014 Old Key West
stormer is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: