Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies > Theme Parks Community
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-24-2013, 12:33 AM   #76
Aunt Michelle
There is no television in your room

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikat View Post
Just finished modding our MBs for our Christmas trip: I used a combination of Sharpie, nail polish, and Oil-based paint pens. HUGE thanks to mrsxsparrow for the idea of the Blue Chrome color - DS went nuts when he saw that! One thing - I put a chip-resistant top coat on the blue one, and you can't see it, but there are cracks in the top coat when I bend it. I'm going to have DS try it on and see what band holes he has it set on, and then try to apply another top coat to seal the mini-cracks. The other three have no top coat. The crystals are Swarovski flat-back crystals from A.C. Moore, super-glued on. So excited to wear them to the parks!
These are awesome! Wow!

************************************************** ******************************
"But I don't want to go among mad people," Alice remarked. "Oh, you can't help that," said the Cat: "We're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad."
"How do you know I'm mad?" said Alice. "You must be," said the Cat, "or you wouldn't have come here." ~Lewis Carroll
Aunt Michelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 01:02 AM   #77
castmember19
DIS Veteran

I LOOOOVE the glitter effect some of you all are trying! Especially the pink glittery one... I do happen to have pink glitter nail polish on hand but I just don't have the patience or skill to do any crafty things, plus I'd be worried I'd ruin my Magic Band. Plain pink will just have to do.

The world is a carousel of color.
castmember19 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-24-2013, 01:50 AM   #78
Kaelorian
Wishing upon a star...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikat
Just finished modding our MBs for our Christmas trip:

These look amazing!!! :-D
Old 11-24-2013, 03:34 AM   #79
ChloeH
Earning My Ears

The nail polish idea is awesome! I love it.
ChloeH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 05:32 AM   #80
tink18
Mouseketeer

Which brands of Polish have you been using? I know when I try my glittery ones on my nails it doesn't come out like that so would be interesting to find out
tink18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 08:13 AM   #81
AllThingsFigment
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by emilyindisney View Post
Are you guys finding that the nail polish holds up well? Does it crack or anything? Also, what kind of polish did you use? Are we talking the 99 cent kind, or something a little more fancy?
I used nail polish for my band and it held up great. It didn't crack or chip and I didn't have any problems scanning my band. I just used inexpensive nail polish from target, I believe it was $2 or $3 a bottle.
AllThingsFigment is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 08:59 AM   #82
mikat
Mouseketeer

Thanks everyone! I would say that so far, the nail polish does seem to be the best option. My kids keep playing with the MBs and the paint pen seems to be cracking / peel a bit - a lot more than the nail polish. I used Nicole by OPI, bought it at Target. I didn't buy the polish with glittery chunks - those looked like they would clump on the band, possibly. I bought the metallic polish. It was a blast and took no time at all!
First Trip Ever - Poly - November 2010 * * * Star Wars Weekend - Dolphin - June 2011 * * * Solo Trip - Pop Century - January 2012 * * * Dream a Little Dream Disney 4-Night Cruise - March 2012 * * * Couples Trip to Disneyland - July 2012 * * * Work Conference in WDW - Pop Century - July 2012 * * * Mom & Boys Trip - Pop Century and Wyndham Bonnet Creek - August 2012 * * * Work Conference in WDW - Pop Century - January 2013 * * * Couples Trip - Animal Kingdom Lodge - August 2013 * * * WDW - DCL Christmas in the World and on the Dream - Art of Animation - December 2013 * * * Work Conference in WDW - Yacht Club - March 2014 * * * Mommy & Son Trip - Caribbean Beach - July 2014
mikat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 09:51 AM   #83
bookgirl
I don't eat onions-they squelch when you bite into them
I don't eat raisins-they look like dried up bugs
Can we say food issues?

Quote:

I used a combination of Sharpie, nail polish, and Oil-based paint pens. HUGE thanks to mrsxsparrow for the idea of the Blue Chrome color - DS went nuts when he saw that! One thing - I put a chip-resistant top coat on the blue one, and you can't see it, but there are cracks in the top coat when I bend it. I'm going to have DS try it on and see what band holes he has it set on, and then try to apply another top coat to seal the mini-cracks. The other three have no top coat. The crystals are Swarovski flat-back crystals from A.C. Moore, super-glued on. So excited to wear them to the parks!
Wow! Great job.

UPCOMING: 1/15 AllStar Movies WDW

bookgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 10:59 AM   #84
Colleen27
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by patzor View Post
I colored just the mickey head over the weekend with a paint marker. I didn't put any nail polish on it yet (still trying to find glow in the dark polish; might just have to order online)

the marker stayed on for the most part, but has worn off a little. Once I "seal" it in with the nail polish, it should be fine.
For glow polish - Justice. Claires sometimes has it too, but seems to have trouble keeping it in stock. Even the dedicated cosmetic stores don't seem to stock it except around Halloween but the tween-trendy stores have it year round.

I'll post a pic of mine a little bit later, when I get my phone back from my DD. I started with a yellow band, and covered it in a photo-reactive glitter polish from Justice. Indoors it is clear with gold glitter; outdoors it is red with gold glitter. Then I painted the Mickey head matte black and "monogrammed" it with a C in yellow polish. The clearcoat cracked a little the first time I put it on, but I just applied a second coat with it on the setting that fits my wrist and that seems to be holding up well.

Colleen27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 12:03 PM   #85
patzor
Mouseketeer

Quote:

I used a combination of Sharpie, nail polish, and Oil-based paint pens. HUGE thanks to mrsxsparrow for the idea of the Blue Chrome color - DS went nuts when he saw that! One thing - I put a chip-resistant top coat on the blue one, and you can't see it, but there are cracks in the top coat when I bend it. I'm going to have DS try it on and see what band holes he has it set on, and then try to apply another top coat to seal the mini-cracks. The other three have no top coat. The crystals are Swarovski flat-back crystals from A.C. Moore, super-glued on. So excited to wear them to the parks!
Love the tiger stripes!!!! thanks. I was trying to figure out how to get them on there. I have my sharpie/paint pen, and will be finishing mine this week
patzor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 08:52 PM   #86
gidgetgoes
tiki girl

we are there December 6-8, so we did ours up for xmas.

Last edited by gidgetgoes; 11-24-2013 at 08:59 PM.
gidgetgoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 09:03 PM   #87
mikat
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by gidgetgoes View Post

Woooo, I *love* the snowflakes!!! Fantastic job!
First Trip Ever - Poly - November 2010 * * * Star Wars Weekend - Dolphin - June 2011 * * * Solo Trip - Pop Century - January 2012 * * * Dream a Little Dream Disney 4-Night Cruise - March 2012 * * * Couples Trip to Disneyland - July 2012 * * * Work Conference in WDW - Pop Century - July 2012 * * * Mom & Boys Trip - Pop Century and Wyndham Bonnet Creek - August 2012 * * * Work Conference in WDW - Pop Century - January 2013 * * * Couples Trip - Animal Kingdom Lodge - August 2013 * * * WDW - DCL Christmas in the World and on the Dream - Art of Animation - December 2013 * * * Work Conference in WDW - Yacht Club - March 2014 * * * Mommy & Son Trip - Caribbean Beach - July 2014
mikat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 09:35 PM   #88
gidgetgoes
tiki girl

thanks! that one is mine. you can get the snowflakes at Michael's. they stick on, but i reinforced them with crazy glue.
Old 11-25-2013, 08:23 AM   #89
Marshay
I'm Goofy for Mickey. Don't worry if you get a bit Sneezy -- it's just the Pixie Dust!!

My girls want to add stuff to their MB now, too! So, did you super glue on and then nail polish over them?

How many coats of polish?

My DH says they will just all fall off once you actually wear them and bang them around ... But we still want to try them out!

Going to pick up stuff this morning.
Marshay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 02:11 PM   #90
Kaelorian
Wishing upon a star...

Quote:
Originally Posted by gidgetgoes

They're beautiful!! I can't decide which one I like more!

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: