Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies > Theme Parks Community
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read





Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 03-25-2014, 10:40 AM   #751
PaulaVonSchweetz
Mouseketeer
 
PaulaVonSchweetz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 385

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flametla
Hi all,

Starting my 3rd day at DWD (unfortunately leaving tomorrow) Staying at All Star Music. I've had several comments from cast members on my band here. I have a simple blue band with black and white polka dots. Staff say they actually haven't seen that many decorated bands.
My mom's been on the look out and said that she hasn't seen any either.
One cast member did indicate that there was going to be some big reveal for decoration to the magic bands. Probably at D23

Just thought I'd share.
Squee!!! I. Cant wait to pimp our bands!!
__________________
September 2005 - All Star Movies
May 2006 - Coronado Springs
January 2008 - Port Orleans Riverside
September 2009 - Caribbean Beach
December 2011 - Bay Lake Towers & AKL
May 2012 - Bay Lake Towers
September 2012 - Bay Lake Towers & AKL
December 2013 - Bay Lake Towers & AKL
April 2014 - Bay Lake Towers
September 2014 - Boardwalk Villas - WOO HOO!!
April 2015 - TBD
PaulaVonSchweetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 11:06 AM   #752
tinkerbell2528
Mouseketeer
 
tinkerbell2528's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Miami, Fl.
Posts: 92

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flametla View Post
Hi all, Starting my 3rd day at DWD (unfortunately leaving tomorrow) Staying at All Star Music. I've had several comments from cast members on my band here. I have a simple blue band with black and white polka dots. Staff say they actually haven't seen that many decorated bands. My mom's been on the look out and said that she hasn't seen any either. One cast member did indicate that there was going to be some big reveal for decoration to the magic bands. Probably at D23 Just thought I'd share.


Hi! We've been here since Friday n leaving this Friday we are staying at Pop Century n we have also gotten tons of compliments on our bands from both guests n CM. I have actually been on the look out n haven't either seen any bands decorated but I'm sure that the guests who have seen our bands will most likely decorate them either on this trip or next. I've noticed also not everyone knows they are able to get them in colors. We were actually asked yesterday if they came decorated n in the colors we have n we told them no but yes u can choose your colors. I've also been looking for temp tattoos n I think they aren't selling them no more. Oh well I guess I'll have order new tattoos for my AP bands that I'll have to decorate when we get back home. Well with that said, Hope you continue enjoying your vacation.
__________________




Our Family
Me:DH: DD(11) DS:RIP(4) Sparky
WDW 06,07,08,09,10,11,12,13 & 14
tinkerbell2528 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 03-25-2014, 02:15 PM   #753
PaulaVonSchweetz
Mouseketeer
 
PaulaVonSchweetz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 385

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flametla
Hi all,

Starting my 3rd day at DWD (unfortunately leaving tomorrow) Staying at All Star Music. I've had several comments from cast members on my band here. I have a simple blue band with black and white polka dots. Staff say they actually haven't seen that many decorated bands.
My mom's been on the look out and said that she hasn't seen any either.
One cast member did indicate that there was going to be some big reveal for decoration to the magic bands. Probably at D23

Just thought I'd share.
Squee!!! I. Cant wait to pimp our bands!!
__________________
September 2005 - All Star Movies
May 2006 - Coronado Springs
January 2008 - Port Orleans Riverside
September 2009 - Caribbean Beach
December 2011 - Bay Lake Towers & AKL
May 2012 - Bay Lake Towers
September 2012 - Bay Lake Towers & AKL
December 2013 - Bay Lake Towers & AKL
April 2014 - Bay Lake Towers
September 2014 - Boardwalk Villas - WOO HOO!!
April 2015 - TBD
PaulaVonSchweetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 03:08 AM   #754
thumper*
Disney Dreamer
 
thumper*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 465

I was watching a program DH DVR'd for me about Disney. They were talking about MB and showed ppl using them. I was surprised to see a Little boy of about 7 with a decorated band. I kept rerunning it to see if it was a cover or personally decorated.....such a short clip I could never tell.
__________________
Disney Dreaming 5 nt's. AKL Arusha Savannah View Sept 14' for our 23'rd anniv with the appetizer of 2 nt's at POR prior

Sept 2010 AKL Trip Report http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2562391
Epcot 1991 for honeymoon.....off site
M.K. & Epcot 1985 1'st visit....off site
My Ebay store for Disney stuff..................magsco5 Harley...Smoke...Churchill R.I.P...Winston R.I.P.
thumper* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 09:04 AM   #755
vrajewski10513
Mouseketeer
 
vrajewski10513's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Buffalo, NY
Posts: 99

I'm thinking about just super gluing some rhinestones to my band. Has anyone tried this? Does it hold up or are they falling off within the first two days??
__________________
ME: DH: Fifi: Freddy:





October 1989 (KOA Campground)
October 2013 (Pop Century) Honeymoon
September 2014 (Pop Century)
vrajewski10513 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 09:03 PM   #756
CTdaizy
disney dreamin
 
CTdaizy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: CT
Posts: 79

I used E6000 glue for rhinestones, they stayed on for the 4 days we wore the bands. Still on now! We didn't swim with them, but it was plenty hot out and we wore lots of sunscreen.
__________________
CTdaizy
CTdaizy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 12:45 PM   #757
HockeyMomNH
DIS Veteran
 
HockeyMomNH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 1,405

Quote:
Originally Posted by goofy4tink View Post
I just may have to drive north and add my MBs to your list of bands to decorate! Your designs are wonderful!
Thank you!
__________________
HockeyMomNH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 04:50 PM   #758
JillShari
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 359

Quote:
Originally Posted by vrajewski10513 View Post
I'm thinking about just super gluing some rhinestones to my band. Has anyone tried this? Does it hold up or are they falling off within the first two days??
I haven't taken photos of our bands... but for my band, I first used purple nail polish to change the color and then got rhinestone stickers from Michaels. Then I used a glow in the dark which dried clear around all the rhinestones.... didn't lose a single one in 6 days...I think I took it off to shower though.

(I have to remember to take pics this evening and post, my favorite was my DH's.... we got so many compliments on all of them.)
JillShari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 09:14 AM   #759
vrajewski10513
Mouseketeer
 
vrajewski10513's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Buffalo, NY
Posts: 99

Quote:
Originally Posted by JillShari View Post
I haven't taken photos of our bands... but for my band, I first used purple nail polish to change the color and then got rhinestone stickers from Michaels. Then I used a glow in the dark which dried clear around all the rhinestones.... didn't lose a single one in 6 days...I think I took it off to shower though. (I have to remember to take pics this evening and post, my favorite was my DH's.... we got so many compliments on all of them.)
I'm trying to by pass the nail polish, I've tried everything, base coat, top coat, glitter and I can't seem to keep it from cracking. That's why I decided to do just the Rhinestones. The worst that can happen is they fall off lol where as cracking nail polish is a pain in the butt.
__________________
ME: DH: Fifi: Freddy:





October 1989 (KOA Campground)
October 2013 (Pop Century) Honeymoon
September 2014 (Pop Century)
vrajewski10513 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 04:09 PM   #760
BabyFu18
DIS Veteran
 
BabyFu18's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 1,251

Quote:
Originally Posted by vrajewski10513 View Post
I'm trying to by pass the nail polish, I've tried everything, base coat, top coat, glitter and I can't seem to keep it from cracking. That's why I decided to do just the Rhinestones. The worst that can happen is they fall off lol where as cracking nail polish is a pain in the butt.
This is my plan as well, I'm not liking the nail polish thing so I bought some rhinestones and e6000 and I'm thinking of putting the band on my wrist mark where I want the stones and then glue them on.

It sounds simple so I hope it works, but we won't have our bands for awhile yet, I am planning to try it out first on one of our old bands though. I want to continually submerge the band once decorated into water and see how well the stones hold up. And then we are the band around my house for awhile doing everyday activities to test it.

I'm really particular about things so if stones start falling off or anything like that I'll know before I decorate my band that I'll be wearing for our trip and skip decorating all together if I can't perfect it before hand.
__________________
BabyFu18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 04:56 PM   #761
xie
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 442

Quote:
Originally Posted by jezebel73 View Post
I see some versions really seem to show the brush strokes and others not at all. Is this a technique thing or type of polish or just good camera work?
I've done several now and it comes down to:

1. Quality polish - if you use the $1 stuff, you're going to get a $1 result. The better quality polishes (I eventually used Essie) did better in my tests. Also, do not use any kind of "quick dry" polish, that just makes it harder to spread evenly before it gets tacky.
2. Fresher polish - if it's old and thick, it's going to be hard to spread without leaving brushstrokes.
3. Multiple coats - the first coat will have thin spots, just like it would on your fingernails. Three coats is what I do on the base background of the band. Three should be enough, if the polish is good quality.
4. Use a lot of polish when you load the brush. If you push it against the bottle neck to remove most of it (like you do when painting your fingernails), it's going to go onto the band very thin and dry very very fast. Goop that stuff on like you never would on your nails!
5. Work in small areas. Just like painting a wall - don't try to brush half the band in one swipe, do a spot, coat it well, overlap the next spot, etc.
6. Be patient between coats. Really doing a band right takes repeat visits - I let every coat dry for an hour before going back with another. Then I wait a day before I start using super glue to attach things.

Top Coat polishes (including any brands that boast an included top coat) are not such a great idea. They tend to crack instead of remaining flexible. I use clear top coat only in small spots, usually over the top and around the edges of rhinestones and other artwork as an extra layer of insurance to keep the item attached to the band (I use super glue, attach the item, let that dry, and then glom clear polish around the edges of it and atop it to protect and hold it).

I'll try to get photos uploaded soon. I've got a couple of full-on polished bands that turned out well, and held up well in the parks for a week. None of the attached bling fell off them and even a few dings against concrete walls and such didn't damage the polish. The only thing I haven't done yet is swim in them.
__________________

27 WDW Trips and 2 DL Trips since 1994
Most recently, New Year's 2014
xie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 05:23 PM   #762
xie
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 442

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRUAlmn View Post
So the full band is 10.5 inches and I read that the band with the back removed is 7 inches. Can you adjust them to somewhere in between. My wrist is about 6 3/4 inches so I'm thinking the 7 inch might be too tight/sweaty, but the 10.5 inches will be way too big!
This is true for me as well. If I put it on so that it "fit" right, it was in the last grey hole, and the "bent" part of the face hit my wrist in the absolute wrong place and was really irritating on my arm bone. I ended up leaving it loose by 2 grey holes, and wore it more like a bangle bracelet. I liked that I didn't have any of the tight/sweaty problems with it that some people complain of.

Because it was loose, it would sometimes twist and the "RFID" mickey head would fall underneath (inside) my wrist. However, I super glued rhinestones on top of the mickey head, and using just my fingers to line them up, I could quickly face the thing to a scanner in the dark without any trouble at all.
__________________

27 WDW Trips and 2 DL Trips since 1994
Most recently, New Year's 2014
xie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 05:25 PM   #763
iheartbuffy
Mouseketeer
 
iheartbuffy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by xie View Post
This is true for me as well. If I put it on so that it "fit" right, it was in the last grey hole, and the "bent" part of the face hit my wrist in the absolute wrong place and was really irritating on my arm bone. I ended up leaving it loose by 2 grey holes, and wore it more like a bangle bracelet. I liked that I didn't have any of the tight/sweaty problems with it that some people complain of.

Because it was loose, it would sometimes twist and the "RFID" mickey head would fall underneath (inside) my wrist. However, I super glued rhinestones on top of the mickey head, and using just my fingers to line them up, I could quickly face the thing to a scanner in the dark without any trouble at all.
I cut off the excess gray part and then used a lighter to melt the edge and make it smooth.
__________________
iheartbuffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 07:11 PM   #764
aladdinsgirl
There's something comforting about being in a house where dog hair litters the sofa and the bedspreads.--Anonymous
 
aladdinsgirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Cincinnati, OH
Posts: 1,860

Quote:
Originally Posted by vrajewski10513 View Post
I'm thinking about just super gluing some rhinestones to my band. Has anyone tried this? Does it hold up or are they falling off within the first two days??
I put rhinestones on my band in January. They lasted through a marathon and then 8 days in the park. They're still on in fact, I found my magic band the other day still in my park backpack. I used regular glue, scrapbooking rhinestones, and then 2 or 3 coats of mod podge--worked like a charm! Good luck!!
__________________
Krista
Upcoming: Flying Pig Half Marathon 5/4/14
1x Goofy's Race and a Half Challenge Finisher,
3x Full Marathon Finisher, 10x Half Marathon Finisher



aladdinsgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 09:29 PM   #765
HockeyMomNH
DIS Veteran
 
HockeyMomNH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 1,405

Quote:
Originally Posted by xie View Post
I've done several now and it comes down to:

1. Quality polish - if you use the $1 stuff, you're going to get a $1 result. The better quality polishes (I eventually used Essie) did better in my tests. Also, do not use any kind of "quick dry" polish, that just makes it harder to spread evenly before it gets tacky.
2. Fresher polish - if it's old and thick, it's going to be hard to spread without leaving brushstrokes.
3. Multiple coats - the first coat will have thin spots, just like it would on your fingernails. Three coats is what I do on the base background of the band. Three should be enough, if the polish is good quality.
4. Use a lot of polish when you load the brush. If you push it against the bottle neck to remove most of it (like you do when painting your fingernails), it's going to go onto the band very thin and dry very very fast. Goop that stuff on like you never would on your nails!
5. Work in small areas. Just like painting a wall - don't try to brush half the band in one swipe, do a spot, coat it well, overlap the next spot, etc.
6. Be patient between coats. Really doing a band right takes repeat visits - I let every coat dry for an hour before going back with another. Then I wait a day before I start using super glue to attach things.

Top Coat polishes (including any brands that boast an included top coat) are not such a great idea. They tend to crack instead of remaining flexible. I use clear top coat only in small spots, usually over the top and around the edges of rhinestones and other artwork as an extra layer of insurance to keep the item attached to the band (I use super glue, attach the item, let that dry, and then glom clear polish around the edges of it and atop it to protect and hold it).

I'll try to get photos uploaded soon. I've got a couple of full-on polished bands that turned out well, and held up well in the parks for a week. None of the attached bling fell off them and even a few dings against concrete walls and such didn't damage the polish. The only thing I haven't done yet is swim in them.
This is all great advice.

I would just add that I also found that using regular paintbrushes worked well for detail work with the nail polish. I just used polish remover to clean the brushes when I was done.
__________________
HockeyMomNH is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:58 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.

You Rated this Thread: