Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies > Theme Parks Community
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-17-2013, 10:46 PM   #46
DvF Diva
Mouseketeer

I am LOVIN' this! I've got so much nail polish that I've barely used since I had DS. My MB is gonna get the full treatment. Whoo hoo!!
Old 11-17-2013, 10:49 PM   #47
FLchick415
DIS Veteran

I might definitely have to get some clear sparkle to cover my green MB!

~*All Star Movies*~*Port Orleans French Quarter*~*Wilderness Lodge*~*Pop Century(x4)*~*Caribbean Beach Jamaica*~*All Star Music*~*Countless other times off site*~
FLchick415 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-17-2013, 11:08 PM   #48
Surfinpiratee
DIS Veteran

Ahhhhhhh! So cute! Can you do this before you arrive??

Next Disney Vacation in the works!

Current PTR: We must return to the magic!
Surfinpiratee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 11:11 PM   #49
Surfinpiratee
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmusschoot
That is funny, I didn't think too much about it...when I was customizing mine, but I wanted everyone in my family to have a different color...I saved pink for my daughter...

I liked grey because it will match everything...right?!

Maybe not..."band of shame it is" - funny
My boyfriend was the same way...I asked what color he wants, he told me blue or gray. I was like...GRAYYY?! But they do match everything and I can definitely see a guy wanting it to

Next Disney Vacation in the works!

Current PTR: We must return to the magic!
Surfinpiratee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 11:12 PM   #50
Q-man
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaelorian View Post
Went ahead tried Mrsxsparrow's idea with the nail polish My youngest loves yellow and didn't want the color to change, so hers just got clear sparkles. The red mb I did last and is still wet from the top coat. I loved the way they turned out, thanks so much Mrsxsparrow!!!

Looks cool. I hope it doesn't interfere with the magic band operation. The Mickey readers are very persnickety about the Mickey head on the band being aligned with the Mickey head on the reader.
Q-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 11:27 PM   #51
Kaelorian
Wishing upon a star...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Q-man View Post
Looks cool. I hope it doesn't interfere with the magic band operation. The Mickey readers are very persnickety about the Mickey head on the band being aligned with the Mickey head on the reader.
The lady who did this earlier said they worked fine in the parks and how radio frequency works is about proximity and nail polish wouldn't do anything to it Most of the time people just angle the mb's wrong, it's all about alignment as you said.
Old 11-17-2013, 11:34 PM   #52
skriegerjr
Monorail Maven

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1GR8DISNEYFAN View Post
Just wondering if anyone has given their MBs a personal touch. I read where someone said they covered theirs in sworski crystals, another said they were going to use a sharpie to decorate it, but haven't seen any pictures yet. I would like to do something to mine, but I am a little nervous about it.
We bought a 4 pack (4 in our party) of the Theme Park "bandits" one each representing the 4 parks, and 3 of the 4 didn't last 1 day. DS10's fell out within 5 minutes of putting it in (I put it in so I know it was all the way in) DD5's fell out about an hour later, and mine lasted til the return trip back to our resort at the end of the day after park closing was when I noticed it was missing, and I had been seen it on my band when we were leaving the park, so it fell off somewhere. My wife's bandit was the only one to survive the trip.

Too bad, since we all really liked them.

"Any review by me is based on my own personal experience and isn't necessarily indicative of similar experiences in the future, for myself or for other guests. Please use the review at your own risk, and know that it is worth exactly what you paid for it..."

skriegerjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 11:40 PM   #53
skriegerjr
Monorail Maven

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsxsparrow View Post
When I first decided to customize, I just wanted them to be really glittery (I'm a princess, what can I say?). I used Mod Podge and glitter and then sealed it with some more ModPodge. I loved how they turned out:

But even though none of the glitter came off when I touched it, by the end of a few hours of wear a lot of the glitter had worn off and it ended up looking like this:

So I got smart and changed plans, and this is my new one!

This is after a couple days of wear and a few days snapped around my purse. Also, you can't tell in this picture, but it glows in the dark too
Wish I had known about this before our trip...DD5 is total princess and would have definitely been into rocking a band like this!

"Any review by me is based on my own personal experience and isn't necessarily indicative of similar experiences in the future, for myself or for other guests. Please use the review at your own risk, and know that it is worth exactly what you paid for it..."

skriegerjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 08:24 AM   #54
emilyindisney
DIS Veteran

Are you guys finding that the nail polish holds up well? Does it crack or anything? Also, what kind of polish did you use? Are we talking the 99 cent kind, or something a little more fancy?

March 1996 (Swan), March 2008 (CBR), January 2013 (AoA), February 2014 (ASSp/BWV), October 2014 (Pop)

"Laughter is timeless, imagination has no age, and dreams are forever" -Walt Disney

Nike+: secondaryhoney
Add me and let's run!
emilyindisney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 09:20 AM   #55
PinkBudgie
Expert Disneyland Snowball Maker
I've been wearing my LGMH for several years now

Quote:
Originally Posted by emilyindisney View Post
Are you guys finding that the nail polish holds up well? Does it crack or anything? Also, what kind of polish did you use? Are we talking the 99 cent kind, or something a little more fancy?
I'd like to know this too. We are going for two weeks so it would have to hold up that long. I love sparkles!
Old 11-18-2013, 09:24 AM   #56
dsneygirl
My little pirate is here
The mixed drinks always tasted yummy to me

Quote:
Originally Posted by skriegerjr View Post
We bought a 4 pack (4 in our party) of the Theme Park "bandits" one each representing the 4 parks, and 3 of the 4 didn't last 1 day. DS10's fell out within 5 minutes of putting it in (I put it in so I know it was all the way in) DD5's fell out about an hour later, and mine lasted til the return trip back to our resort at the end of the day after park closing was when I noticed it was missing, and I had been seen it on my band when we were leaving the park, so it fell off somewhere. My wife's bandit was the only one to survive the trip.

Too bad, since we all really liked them.
We did the same thing. We managed to keep the Tree of Life the entire 10 days the others were long gone. I think they are super cute but they need to fix the design somehow.
FW 1980, 1984, 1988, DxL 1992, Canada Pavillon CM July 1997-July 1998, (Met DH at the BeaverTails shack) Off site Feb 1999 Engaged at Cindy's Sept 2000, DL GC Feb 2001, POFQ Sept 2001, Poly June 2002, Off site March 2003, FW Hallowe'en 2003, GF Xmas 2003, DisneyLand Oct 2004, FW May 2005 Joined DVC June 2005 SSR Oct 2005, OKW Dec 2005, DLH Mar 2006,DS's 1st Trip BCV & CBR Oct 2006, VWL & POR Dec 2006, BCV & POR May 2007, BWV & ASM Aug 2007, SSR Oct 2007 VWL Dec 2007, AKL/VWL Sept 2008, March 2009 Pop/BCV, Disney Wonder and AKV/BCV May 2009, AKL/VWL Sept 2009, OKW Dec 2009,Mar 2010 Disney Wonder and BLT, May 2010 AKL, Aug 2010 VWL/BCV,Dec 2010 AKL, Feb 2011 Disney Dream/VWL, May 2011 BLT, Sept 2011 VGC, Oct 2011 SSR, Aulani June 2012, BCV/VWL Sept 2012, AKV/BLT Sept 2013, Dec 2013 VWL/DisneyDream, Aug 2014 SSR/AKL, Nov 2014 VGC
(me)(DH)(DS 7) (DS 2)

dsneygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 12:05 PM   #57
bookgirl
I don't eat onions-they squelch when you bite into them
I don't eat raisins-they look like dried up bugs
Can we say food issues?

I"m totally not a glitter/sparkly kind of girl but I'd totally rock glow in the dark. Where do you find glow in the dark polish?

UPCOMING: 1/15 AllStar Movies WDW/US (in planning)

bookgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 12:22 PM   #58
Sailorsgirl
Earning My Ears

covers

won't get our MBs until Xmas time but I am making covers out of material for ours. I am making family reunion Tshirts so I cut up one to make for the day we wear those - these will slip over the bands with an opening for Mickey's head. I also got some fabrics with MM on them. will try to post once I get my MB
Sailorsgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 03:08 PM   #59
patzor
Mouseketeer

I colored just the mickey head over the weekend with a paint marker. I didn't put any nail polish on it yet (still trying to find glow in the dark polish; might just have to order online)

the marker stayed on for the most part, but has worn off a little. Once I "seal" it in with the nail polish, it should be fine.
patzor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 03:34 PM   #60
Kaelorian
Wishing upon a star...

I've tested them a bit as with normal nail polish and top coat, water beads on them just fine. The glitter doesn't flake off. The most durable one is the plain clear glitter one. Next would be the glitter pink one, you can't tell from the pic but that one smooth. Both are going on tiny wrists and are quite bendable (bent backwards and forwards). Especially the red. I doubt either of the glitter ones will change because you won't notice (the pink one has 4 or 5 coats and it's not like craft store showered on glitter). The yellow basically didn't change at all. The red is the prettiest, but since it actually has a color to it, it needed more coats. It's bendy, waterproof and doesn't crack, but if I were to take a sharp object to it it would leave a small impression or dent. The polish is a "bouncy" consistency. It's an adult band, so it will hold up fine bumping into normal stuff (purses, tables or guard rails, lol).
If you are on the fence, just do a couple coats of clear glitter or glow in the dark. I wish I could show you, but it really doesn't change the mb, other than making it prettier ;-)
Doing a real color or many coats is fine as well (we're going to a water park too), but won't handle a child scraping it on asphalt lol. The clear glitter would! It's such a thin layer and even if you were able to scratch some off, you wouldn't notice.
I think the clear glitter band will last always, but the red will probably get knicks after a few trips (not down to the original color, but like when you put way too many layers of nail polish on and were to press your fingernail into it, it would make a slight impression, but mostly bounce back, so hard to explain! Lol). However, I feel the bands are more of a one time use and we'll get new ones each trip. I'm more worried about them falling off and will buy sleeves for the kids (although I LOVE the idea of making your own as pp said) :-D

Last edited by Kaelorian; 11-18-2013 at 03:47 PM.
Kaelorian is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: