Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies > Theme Parks Community
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-16-2014, 06:02 PM   #1516
nerderella
Mouseketeer

Here are my magic bands-- the two on the left are DH's, the two on the right are mine. Thanks to HockeyMomNH for the inspiration of the stained glass rose-- I knew that's what I had to do the moment I saw it.

I found pictures of the characters I wanted to use, then drew on the bands in pencil. I tried keeping things as simple as possible and use the color of the bands as much as possible in the design. Since Eeyore is blue, I put him on the blue band to reduce the amount of paint on that band and (hopefully) reduce peeling.

They are painted with mostly enamels, with some sparkle acrylic in there on the rose as a top coat. The outlines are black fine point sharpie.

nerderella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 07:15 PM   #1517
stormer
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by nerderella View Post

They look great. I am trying to get up the nerve to do mine. Everyone here did such a great job!
October 1994 Port Orleans / Oct. 1996 Caribbean Beach Resort / Oct. 1999 Off site / Oct. 2004 Contemporary Resort / Oct. 2006 Animal Kingdom Lodge / Aug.2007 Port Orleans Riverside / April 2008 Saratoga Springs Villas & Wilderness Lodge Villas/ Oct. 2008 Old Key West / Feb. 2009 Polynesian Resort / Aug. 2009 Animal Kingdom Lodge Kidani Village/ Feb. 2010 Carribbean Beach Resort / Aug. 2010 Bay Lake Tower / Feb. 2011 Grand Floridian and Beach Club Villas / Aug. 2011 Boardwalk Villas / Aug. 2012 Animal Kingdom Lodge Kidani Village/ Feb. 2013 Coronado Springs / Aug. 2013 Boardwalk Villas / Feb. 2014 Coronado Springs / Aug. 2014 Old Key West
stormer is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-16-2014, 07:15 PM   #1518
MonsterWDWmom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Here are my magic bands-- the two on the left are DH's, the two on the right are mine. Thanks to HockeyMomNH for the inspiration of the stained glass rose-- I knew that's what I had to do the moment I saw it.

I found pictures of the characters I wanted to use, then drew on the bands in pencil. I tried keeping things as simple as possible and use the color of the bands as much as possible in the design. Since Eeyore is blue, I put him on the blue band to reduce the amount of paint on that band and (hopefully) reduce peeling.

They are painted with mostly enamels, with some sparkle acrylic in there on the rose as a top coat. The outlines are black fine point sharpie.

Wow these are awesome! My daughter would love the Dumbo one You have serious talent!

A December 2013 Trip report "I'd rather be sick at Disney than at home! http://www.disboards.com/showthread....3#post51587193 (Completed)

Current Trip report : http://www.disboards.com/showthread....7#post52350787

MonsterWDWmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 07:53 PM   #1519
DisneyFansInNYC
DIS Veteran

Quote:

We get ours soon - we can't wait to paint them. My DD is doing Dumbo - yours came out great. How did you do the stain glass one? Also you did the sharpie over the paint? So you used paint - not nail polish.

Great job - they look fantastic.

Our 2013 Disney Video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lLSzd7LSuFc
DisneyFansInNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 11:22 PM   #1520
nerderella
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonsterWDWmom View Post
Wow these are awesome! My daughter would love the Dumbo one You have serious talent!
Thanks! They were actually a lot of fun to make, and I wouldn't have had the idea to paint them had I not found this thread. There was a lot of amazing work here, and I'm glad that a bunch of pioneers went before me to test paint types so all I really had to do was apply.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyFansInNYC View Post
We get ours soon - we can't wait to paint them. My DD is doing Dumbo - yours came out great. How did you do the stain glass one? Also you did the sharpie over the paint? So you used paint - not nail polish.

Great job - they look fantastic.
Thanks! For the stained glass rose, I took inspiration from another poster here, who did the stained glass first--and did hers with nail polish, which is a feat I am still amazed by. I took the easy route and used paints and not nail polish. The colors are all enamels, and the sparkles in the "stained glass" (pic below) are acrylics that I put over the paint. I haven't sealed them yet, as I want the brush-on type for this application and only have the spray sealant.

The lines were all done over the paint with Industrial Sharpies and not the regular Sharpies like I previously mentioned (oops!). So far, they're holding up to smudging, but I'm also not trying too hard.

Here's a snapshot of what my workspace looked like before starting the process, with my materials laid out:

Now for the unfortunate part: I can't vouch for how well these will hold up until after our next trip in early September. These MBs are the ones that were laying around the house. But they may start coming on runs with me so I can see what it feels like to run with a MB on.
Old 07-17-2014, 01:20 AM   #1521
DBDiz
Mouseketeer

Checking back in, loving all the new designs and paint jobs.

After 7 days of band wear, our tattoo/polish combos had several dents and cracks in them. Quite possible that it's because we used top coats (clear gloss and clear matte). But in all fairness the tattoos didn't fade, wash off/out, or peel or chip. So all in all, I'd say it was successful.

DisDads Member #767

Apr '89 - Day trip to MK
May '10 - Weeklong stay at CBR
Sep '11 - Day trip to MK while on honeymoon
Jul '14 - Weeklong stay at CBR
DBDiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 09:11 AM   #1522
LoveMy3DisneyKids
Mouseketeer

I was looking through this thread and haven't found my answer. (Too many to look through) love all the designs. I didn't realize how many people do this. I haven't tried it myself yet. Has anyone used temporary body tattoos? Has it worked? Now I feel like when we go to disney world, I have to have my families bands decorated. They seem so boring now. I'm just afraid of losing them after putting time into decorating then. My kids would be heart broken.
LoveMy3DisneyKids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 09:42 AM   #1523
LadyRayado
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveMy3DisneyKids View Post
I was looking through this thread and haven't found my answer. (Too many to look through) love all the designs. I didn't realize how many people do this. I haven't tried it myself yet. Has anyone used temporary body tattoos? Has it worked? Now I feel like when we go to disney world, I have to have my families bands decorated. They seem so boring now. I'm just afraid of losing them after putting time into decorating then. My kids would be heart broken.
I don't know about the body tattoos, but I had the same fear about losing ours after I put hours into them. I was constantly checking everyone's wrists, especially after my FIL lost his on our very first day, less than 45 minutes after the park opened. However, we had no issues with ours staying on, with swimming, putting backpacks on, carting around a toddler and a stroller. Even my 14mo son's stayed put with him constantly pulling at it. He loved wearing it, refused to let me take it off. Anyway, I think you'll be fine - and I think they sell little bandit clippy slider things to help them stay on if you're really worried.
'95 offsite, '96 Dixie Landings, '00 ASMu, '00 Dixie Landings, '02 ASMo, '03 ASMu, '05 ASMo, '13 MNSSHP and WWoHP, March '14 ASSp, 10th trip! - August '14 WWoHP/DA, October '14 MNSSHP POP/ASSp, December '14 MVMCP

LadyRayado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 11:06 AM   #1524
bizziemom
Earning My Ears

Thanks! For the stained glass rose, I took inspiration from another poster here, who did the stained glass first--and did hers with nail polish, which is a feat I am still amazed by. I took the easy route and used paints and not nail polish. The colors are all enamels, and the sparkles in the "stained glass" (pic below) are acrylics that I put over the paint. I haven't sealed them yet, as I want the brush-on type for this application and only have the spray sealant.

The lines were all done over the paint with Industrial Sharpies and not the regular Sharpies like I previously mentioned (oops!). So far, they're holding up to smudging, but I'm also not trying too hard.

I really, really love the enchanted rose idea, and it's on the top of my list of ideas for my MB (ships tomorrow!) But I didn't think I would be artistic enough to pull it off. Did you practice on a piece of paper first, or sketch the line in pencil on your band? And where could I find "industrial" sharpies? Also is there a reason you prefer the brush on sealer instead of the spray? Thanks!
bizziemom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 11:08 AM   #1525
bizziemom
Earning My Ears

Quote:

I really, really love the enchanted rose idea, and it's on the top of my list of ideas for my MB (ships tomorrow!) But I didn't think I would be artistic enough to pull it off. Did you practice on a piece of paper first, or sketch the line in pencil on your band? And where could I find "industrial" sharpies? Also is there a reason you prefer the brush on sealer instead of the spray? Thanks!
bizziemom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 11:09 AM   #1526
Chicago Mo
DIS Veteran

Anyone paint their MB then also use a DVC sticker on top of it? I would love to paint something SIMPLE (you guys are WAY Talented) yet on some days change it up and add the DVC stickers!
Chicago Mo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 12:51 PM   #1527
HockeyMomNH
DIS Veteran

Quote:

Your bands look great! I love to see other people's interpretation of the rose. It really makes me smile. I kind of want to re-do mine now that I have had more practice with the painting.

I just got notice that my next three bands are at the post office. I can't wait to start decorating again.
Old 07-17-2014, 01:14 PM   #1528
Ilovemyprincesses
DIS Veteran

If you are still looking for tattoos michaels had some on their clearance. They are 5 small sheets for .50. They are smaller and I think they will fit well. I don't have my bands yet. There were princesses and faries at my store.
Ilovemyprincesses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 01:38 PM   #1529
nerderella
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizziemom View Post
Hooray for MBs!!!! Getting them in my mailbox is my second-favorite part of getting ready for a trip!

I am more creative than artistic and despite how it looks, I'm horrible at recreating images that someone else has done first. I am surprised that the MBs came out as well as they did but it was about a five hour venture for me to paint four MBs, with Dumbo of all characters taking the longest. I think the length of time is also important for me to note, so no one gets the idea that I just sat down and popped them out in 20 minutes. These were a labor of love and proof that I need the fall semester to start back up again. So my honest opinion is even if you don't think you could make it look "good," give it a shot and be patient. If you don't like it, you can always clean it off and start again.

But back to the other questions

I used this image for my design:

I practiced just the rose on paper first since that seemed the hardest to do. Once I stopped trying to make it look like a rose and looked at is as lines, I could get a fairly similar look on paper. When I translated it to the magic band itself the pink band didn't show pencil as well as the yellow band did so some of it was guesswork. I also realized that the amount of detail given the size I was working with was a bit much, and cut out some of the petal detail in the middle of the rose.

I bought my industrial sharpies at Staples. They're a bit more resistant than regular sharpies when it comes to heat and some chemicals, but use enough rubbing alcohol on it and it will rub off.

I think the spray vs brush on sealant is more personal preference. I've found the spray is streaky and doesn't cover evenly when I use it on glass-- but it could be the fault of the user (me) and not necessarily the product. I've debated giving it a shot with the MBs, but I'm not sure I want to risk it.
Old 07-17-2014, 05:34 PM   #1530
Amstar
Mouseketeer

Okay just to confirm before I start our bands:

Base coat --- then tattoos or stickers --- let dry... base coat -- dry--- base coat

or 2nd option

base coat --- tattoos or stickers -- let dry --- gems/rhinestones (glued on) -- let dry -- base coat - base coat

also if i have glow in the dark nail polish from justice.. put it on then base coat.. or put it on over the base coat?

thanks
Amstar is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: