Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies > Theme Parks Community
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-14-2014, 10:58 AM   #1501
MonsterWDWmom
Mouseketeer

Finished my bands a couple of days ago:

This one I have to give credit to HockeyMomNH for the idea. Hers is way better I do not have the talent that she clearly has. Again thanks for the idea Beauty and the Beast is my favorite movie!

And all three of them:

now I just have to figure out what else to do to pass the next 55 days

A December 2013 Trip report "I'd rather be sick at Disney than at home! http://www.disboards.com/showthread....3#post51587193

MonsterWDWmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 11:22 AM   #1502
HockeyMomNH
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonsterWDWmom View Post

They look great! I think your rose band turned out lovely. :
Register to remove

Old 07-14-2014, 12:35 PM   #1503
bizziemom
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by cab0ad View Post
Here are my magic bands. my dad and I are staying at POP and we wanted a 60's theme. I painted mine as a flower power band. It started as yellow. I painted my dad's as a peace symbol/tie dye theme. It started as orange. I had a lot of fun doing this. Thanks for the inspiration!

LOVE! I am staying at POP with my dad in 5 weeks too! Would love to do this! HOW did you do the tie dye?
Old 07-14-2014, 12:38 PM   #1504
bizziemom
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by cab0ad View Post
It was not that hard. I watched a YouTube video on how to paint tie dye nail art. Then I just did it on a larger scale. I stamped the circles with a straw to get them round then colored in the lines in with a toothpick. Just used nail polish for everything.
LOL... guess I got carried away and posted too soon! Should have kept reading. Thanks for sharing!
Old 07-14-2014, 12:57 PM   #1505
bizziemom
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRUAlmn View Post
For anyone not as talented as cab0ad, they have a similar rainbow tie dyed version of the mini duct tape rolls. We just got our MBs today (YEAHOOO!!!!!) and I held the small rolls up to them and they're almost the exact perfect width The pattern on it is similar to this http://www.homedepot.com/p/Duck-1-88...1427/203866868

THANK YOU! Even better! (easier!) I LOVE, love, LOVE this board. So many ideas...
My son wanted a blue MB and did NOT want to decorate it until he saw the Minecraft Creeper band! Now he wants a green one. They ship in 3 days so I'm desperately trying to narrow down my design... but it's so hard because there are so many wonderful ideas on this board.
Really considering the tie dye duct tape though... Can't mess it up, and it's removable!
One question though: Will the duct tape affect the RFID chip function? Has anyone tried and know for sure?
Old 07-14-2014, 01:33 PM   #1506
brittanyyyrocks
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alice Royal View Post
Okay, this is a random question, but has anybody used Seche Vite topcoat on a MB? I know it's supposed to permeate layers of polish, but I'm hoping it doesn't go through the rubber to the RFID chip...it was all I had and I wasn't thinking about it when I put it on. I would see if it worked with my brother's Disney Infinity game, but he had already used it before I painted it! D:
I know I'm way behind on responding to this, but did anyone figure out if that particular brand affected the magic bands? That's the kind I was planning on using (only a base coat instead of top coat) and I just wanted to check and see how it worked.

1994- offsite
2012- CBR
2014- POP
brittanyyyrocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 02:58 AM   #1507
AliceinMaryland
Mouseketeer

How I stumbled on this thread from somewhere else I do not know, but this by far is my favorite thread ever!!!!! I cannot wait to do mine and show the pictures!!! You all have given me so many ideas. Thank you for posting!!

AliceinMaryland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 12:42 PM   #1508
brittanyyyrocks
Earning My Ears

I've been following this forum for a while, and I finally figured out a design for my magicband. Thanks to all the previous posters for the excellent ideas and tips! Here goes!

This is my chevron magicband that was completely created using nail polish/vinyl.

First, I painted the entire band purple (I wish they would have offered purple to begin with!). I made sure to use tape to keep the grey part color free. I used several very thick coats; when I applied thin coats it would dry before I could spread it evenly.

Next, I created a vinyl chevron stencil using my Silhouette, and I placed it on the magicband.

Then, I painted my second color over the stencil. Again, I had to use very thick coats so that I had time to spread the color evenly.

I removed the stencil, and added a tiger paw that I made with my Silhouette over the mickey head (Clemson alumni, what can I say? )

Finally, I added several coats of base coat over the entire thing, especially around the tiger paw. I also painted the grey part with glow in the dark paint so it'll stand out at night!

It was time consuming, but definitely worth it! I can't wait to show it off next week at Disney! Any questions, let me know!

1994- offsite
2012- CBR
2014- POP
brittanyyyrocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 12:42 PM   #1509
DisneyLvr55
The thing swooped down, hit me in the face with its wing, scooped up my dog, and flew away

I just made this Snow White themed one for myself, for our trip in 19 days. Super excited on how it turned out, especially since I am no artist!!! Of course, now that I've looked through everyone elses, I'm a little embarassed... LOL

After looking on here, I decided to paint the Mickey in the middle yellow. Its nice - Makes it pop!

Last edited by DisneyLvr55; 07-15-2014 at 01:23 PM.
DisneyLvr55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 02:31 PM   #1510
Sydney2977
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by brittanyyyrocks View Post
I removed the stencil, and added a tiger paw that I made with my Silhouette over the mickey head (Clemson alumni, what can I say? )

I thought that paw looked familiar! (I'm in the Charleston area so we know lots of Clemson alumni/fans, and DS's girlfriend is heading there this fall). It turned out cool! I could see people doing that in orange and purple too. I know when we eventually kidnap her to go to WDW with us, she'll probably want a Frozen band, but that gives me the idea to add a little paw maybe on the bottom Mickey head- thanks!

2013 Pre-trip Report:
http://www.disboards.com/showthread....7#post49361617

2013 Trip Report:
http://www.disboards.com/showthread....4#post50187824

All-Star Music April 2002All-Star Movies September 2003Pop!Century February 2006All-Star Sports January 2007Coronado Springs October 2010Coronado Springs November 2011Animal Kingdom Lodge November 2013
Sydney2977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 09:38 AM   #1511
aldeanarmyangel
Earning My Ears

I have been looking through this thread and im sure i missed it because you guys share so much great information, but is there a suggested instructions or directions somewhere, thanks so much!!
aldeanarmyangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 09:49 AM   #1512
nerderella
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkBudgie View Post
Just got back from 13 nights at the POFQ. This is the magic band I used:

I posted before I left but thought I would give an update/
I used acrylic paints. They are much easier to paint with than nail polish, even using a narrow brush. I then covered it in two coats of a clear acrylic sealer (purchased at Michael's and sold near the acrylic paints for a couple of dollars). I got tons of attention and complements and questions about it from other guests and CMs alike. Some thought I bought it that way. It held up perfectly for the entire two weeks- no cracking, chipping, or rubbing off. I never did go swimming but it got plenty wet from rain and water rides. So it hasn't been tested for prolonged time in the water. It was also scratch resistant.
As you can see, I also did my nails to match. I found the same color pink as my MB in Sinful Colors (Pink Forever). I then painted on top with acrylic paints and then used a nail polish top coat. I have to say the Sinful Colors nail polish held up very well. I never touched up with more topcoat every day like I often do and they lasted about a week at the parks before they started to chip. If I had bothered to touch them up, they probably would have lasted longer.
I thought I would see other decorated MBs out there, but I never saw any. Just those with the little sliders or characters you can buy.
Anyway after my trial, my suggestion is: save the nail polish for nails and use acrylic and sealer on the band. It's cheaper, and you can get many different colors and shades. For your nails (if you like to match ) try Sinful colors.
I'm a little late to the party, but thanks for the update! I am pretty excited to give this a shot with my bands now since I was less than thrilled to use nail polish. My husband is slightly frightened that this thread has created a monster.
nerderella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 10:01 AM   #1513
HockeyMomNH
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyLvr55 View Post
I just made this Snow White themed one for myself, for our trip in 19 days. Super excited on how it turned out, especially since I am no artist!!! Of course, now that I've looked through everyone elses, I'm a little embarassed... LOL

After looking on here, I decided to paint the Mickey in the middle yellow. Its nice - Makes it pop!
Nice idea with the stenciling! I like the colors.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aldeanarmyangel View Post
I have been looking through this thread and im sure i missed it because you guys share so much great information, but is there a suggested instructions or directions somewhere, thanks so much!!
There are lots of different methods that people have shared on here. Some of them are clear nail polish and temp tattoos, some of them are covered in colored duck tape, some of them are painted out in nail polish or acrylic paints with a clear coat over the top.

I think that most people that are decorating are using a clear base-coat of nail polish to seal their designs. It seems to be more flexible than a top-coat so it won't crack.

It is a bit of trial and error. People have reported being able to use polish remover with good success in case the design doesn't turn out how you like the first time. (I haven't really tried that myself, just sharing what has been reported here.)

Have fun decorating and make sure you come back and share pictures with us!
Old 07-16-2014, 10:05 AM   #1514
PinkBudgie
Expert Disneyland Snowball Maker
I've been wearing my LGMH for several years now

Quote:
Originally Posted by nerderella View Post
I'm a little late to the party, but thanks for the update! I am pretty excited to give this a shot with my bands now since I was less than thrilled to use nail polish. My husband is slightly frightened that this thread has created a monster.
You're welcome. My husband thought the same thing. I spent a long time obsessing over what I was going to do.
Old 07-16-2014, 04:52 PM   #1515
nerderella
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkBudgie View Post
You're welcome. My husband thought the same thing. I spent a long time obsessing over what I was going to do.
I spent the day painting, and once I get to the magic number of being able to post pics, they'll go up.

I did mine in a mix of enamels and acrylics, so I'm wondering how well they'll hold before sealing. I'm a bit afraid to take them for a test drive until they're sealed. Luckily we still have about 7 weeks until our trip and two new bands that should be arriving any day!
nerderella is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: