Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-23-2013, 08:50 AM   #1
mlfallis
Earning My Ears

Help me pick my cruise Dream or Magic

OK, I am waiting till the 2015 bookings come out but I am currently trying to narrow down to which ship we would like.

We are a family of 5. Kids will be 7, 4, and 2 at the time of sailing. This will be the 3rd cruise for my oldest 2, and the second for my little guy. Both sailing have been with RCCL on their freedom class (one with the splash pad, flowrider, icerink, etc). Our cruises with kids we have stayed in a family oceanview room.

So based on the info that we have younger children, have sailed on larger ships as a family (hubby and I have done small ships to). Which ship would you suggest?

I am worried about how crowded the pools are as every photo I have seen of a Disney pool during the day is very busy compared to when we have been on RCCL. Also this will be after 4 or 5 days at the parks which is why I am looking at these ships assuming they continue the short cruise trend.

Oh one more thing, on RCCL we stay in rooms that are 'different' configuration compared to the normal family cabins that gives us a lot more rooms. Do unique shaped rooms like that exist on Disney?

TIA
mlfallis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 10:34 AM   #2
Beermam42
Grit and bear it

One vote for Magic

There are ton of threads on this subject that you can go back and read all the reasons why. But Magic is usually in Med in Summer so may not be a choice. Dream and Fantasy are twins. Only different is lenth of cruise. Fantasy does 7 day.

Wonder is Magic sister ship. Wonder is usually doing Alaska cruies out of Vancover in Summer months.

Staterooms, know there are ones that sleep 5.

We were older group 11, 15, 39, 67, 68, but had a fastistic time. We had two staterooms. The kids from what we experencied and saw really like the clubs.
Beermam42 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-23-2013, 11:03 AM   #3
tweis
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlfallis View Post
OK, I am waiting till the 2015 bookings come out but I am currently trying to narrow down to which ship we would like.

We are a family of 5. Kids will be 7, 4, and 2 at the time of sailing. This will be the 3rd cruise for my oldest 2, and the second for my little guy. Both sailing have been with RCCL on their freedom class (one with the splash pad, flowrider, icerink, etc). Our cruises with kids we have stayed in a family oceanview room.

So based on the info that we have younger children, have sailed on larger ships as a family (hubby and I have done small ships to). Which ship would you suggest?

I am worried about how crowded the pools are as every photo I have seen of a Disney pool during the day is very busy compared to when we have been on RCCL. Also this will be after 4 or 5 days at the parks which is why I am looking at these ships assuming they continue the short cruise trend.

Oh one more thing, on RCCL we stay in rooms that are 'different' configuration compared to the normal family cabins that gives us a lot more rooms. Do unique shaped rooms like that exist on Disney?

TIA
I know which family rooms you are talking about on RCCL because we were recently researching a cruise on an RCCL ship. Those rooms do not exist on DCL but they do have deluxe family ocean view rooms and deluxe family verandah rooms that sleep five people. Next step up would be a suite in concierge.

If you want to sail during the summer, as a PP noted, the Magic is usually in the Med so not a short trip. If you are looking for a time other than summer, according to speculation, the Magic will be doing the Eastern itinerary for the first part of the year which would be 7 night cruises. So, if you are truly interested in short cruises, then the Dream may be your best bet for 2015. I have sailed the Dream twice and loved it. We look forward to giving the Magic a try in April 2014. I don't think you can go wrong with either.

Of course the Wonder may still be doing shorter cruises out of Miami during non summer months, so that may be an option also.
tweis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 11:55 AM   #4
mlfallis
Earning My Ears

Thanks. We are looking at sailing late Jan/early Fe.

I have read alot of the other threads, but everyone comparing to RCCL is 2010. I am worried the lack of pools will be a huge let down for my kids.

tweis: shocking RCCL does appear to have better family rooms options.
mlfallis is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: