Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-16-2014, 06:06 PM   #1
sunrise717
Earning My Ears

Co workers just off RC none will cruise again

Some coworkers of mine just got off a Royal Caribbean Cruise each of them said they would never cruise again each of them say there is nothing really to do on the ship... Very boring and food not that great....
Is cruising that type of vacay that u like it or hate it??

1st cruise in 10 days???
sunrise717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 06:16 PM   #2
Gigi22
DIS Veteran

What works for one person won't necessarily work for the next person. Same with vacations. I have cruised a lot, and the people I meet who don't care for cruising generally fit into two groups. One, they were looking for a more all-inclusive vacation vibe. Two, the did not do their due diligence before selecting their cruise, and selected the wrong product for themselves.
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-16-2014, 06:30 PM   #3
JohnDS
DIS Veteran

I didn't care for the food, but being bored would be hard. Did they get off the ship in port? I enjoyed our shore excursions the most and visiting other places seems like the most compelling reason to cruise to me.
JohnDS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 06:36 PM   #4
tweis
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnDS View Post
I didn't care for the food, but being bored would be hard. Did they get off the ship in port? I enjoyed our shore excursions the most and visiting other places seems like the most compelling reason to cruise to me.
This! My DH's favorite part about cruising is getting to visit different places on the same vacation without driving/flying.

tweis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 06:42 PM   #5
SMD
DIS Veteran

Personally, I don't cruise for the food, but some do. I live in a big city with many nice restaurants and famous chefs, my family are foodies, so while the variety on the ship was nice and the food was more than edible, it wasn't the main draw. On the other hand, we met people who said they'd never go out and order a steak and loved that they offered them on the menu.

I once cruised on one of the smaller ships, it rained on the first two sea days, so that really made the pools unappealing. It was one of the smaller ships and didn't have as many activities, but we found things to do. I can see that if you don't like lectures, dance classes, pub trivia, drinking, gambling, bingo, billiards, sitting by the pool or reading, you might run out of activities on the smaller ships.
SMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 06:47 PM   #6
zoom8942
Mouseketeer

Some people are just not happy out of their comfort zones. I have had people tell me they didn't like Disney World!! WHAT!!! ???How is that possible???? But really if you are not used to travel, or the only thing you have ever done is the same beach every year for 20 years, Its hard to know what there is to do. Go with an open mind, and enjoy!!! We went on our first cruise 4 years ago and are ready for our 3rd!! We only get 1 vacation a year( sometimes I can convince DH on 2) We tries to do too much on our 1st cruise and the kids were worn out. We get better at relaxing with every cruise!!!!!
zoom8942 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 06:51 PM   #7
KashasMom
DIS Veteran

Most of the people I know wouldn't set foot on a ship. They don't consider cruising "real" traveling.
[SIZE="1"]1972 Home Lines Homeric (Bahamas), 1977 Cunard Princess (Bermuda), 1986 Carnival Holiday (Eastern Caribbean), 1987 Carnival Jubilee (Eastern Caribbean), 1988 Premier/Big Red Boat Starship Oceanic (Bahamas), 1991 Premier/Big Red Boat Starship Atlantic (Bahamas), 1991 Costa Riviera (Western Caribbean), 1993 Carnival Fantasy (Southern Caribbean), 1997 Celebrity Century (Western Caribbean), 1997 Celebrity Century (Eastern Caribbean), 1998 Grandeur of the Seas (Eastern Caribbean), 1998 Disney Magic Inaugural Celebration (Bahamas), 2000 Carnival Destiny (Canada), 2001 Celebrity Infinity (Alaska - Inside Passage), 2003 Royal Princess (South America), 2008 RCI Serenade of the Seas (repo -SF to Vancouver via Alaska - Inside Passage), 2010 Caribbean Princess (Southern Caribbean), 2010 Caribbean Princess (b-b Southern Caribbean), 2012 Disney Magic (NY-Bahamas), 2012 Brand-New Carnival Breeze (Eastern Carib), 2012 NCL Epic (Eastern Carib), 2013 Brand-Spanking-New NCL Breakaway *Family Reunion Cruise* (Bermuda), 2013 Disney Fantasy (Western Caribbean)

------

Upcoming Cruise: Disney Magic - Norwegian Fjords and Iceland - June 2015
KashasMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 07:02 PM   #8
DahliaRW
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoom8942 View Post
Some people are just not happy out of their comfort zones. I have had people tell me they didn't like Disney World!! WHAT!!! ???How is that possible???? But really if you are not used to travel, or the only thing you have ever done is the same beach every year for 20 years, Its hard to know what there is to do. Go with an open mind, and enjoy!!! We went on our first cruise 4 years ago and are ready for our 3rd!! We only get 1 vacation a year( sometimes I can convince DH on 2) We tries to do too much on our 1st cruise and the kids were worn out. We get better at relaxing with every cruise!!!!!
Other than MK, I wasn't a huge fan of Disney World, but I LOVE LOVE LOVE Disneyland!

As per the OP, cruising may not fit all. And cruises on certain lines may be fun for some and not for others. You need to find the cruise that fits what you want out of it.

FWIW, I was never bored on my Disney Cruise. There was more to do then I had time to do!
Disney Fantasy Western Caribbean Cruise January 18-25, 2014
Walt Disney World (Port Orleans Riverside) January 25-29, 2014 (Epcot, AK, MK, Epcot, HS)

DahliaRW is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 07:03 PM   #9
LittleMissMagic
Disney Clemson Girl

I wonder what ship they were on. Royal Caribbean's ships vary greatly within the fleet. Their oldest ships have been sailing since the early 90s, but they're newest ships offer a variety of different entertainment options. I've never sailed on the Oasis or Allure (two largest ships in the world), but I can't imagine ever being bored on either.

I've been on 15 cruises on 5 different cruise lines (Royal Caribbean, Princess, Norwegian, Carnival, and Disney), so it's safe to say I enjoy it. I wouldn't say it's for everyone, though. I know several people who I'm pretty sure wouldn't enjoy it at all and would prefer a much more adventurous vacation like hiking the Appalachian trail or something extreme like that.
LittleMissMagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 07:09 PM   #10
Gigi22
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by KashasMom View Post
Most of the people I know wouldn't set foot on a ship. They don't consider cruising "real" traveling.
I get that one too. Including from a former co-worker whose DH won a cruise. They went, and she still insisted she hadn't ever been a cruise. All righty, then! We all have our own version of reality.
Old 04-16-2014, 07:23 PM   #11
jdb in AZ
It could end up curdled

OP, where did your co-workers cruise? Since it's spring I'm assuming the Caribbean? Some of the ports are better than others, and RCL doesn't go to Disney's Castaway Cay.

FWIW, RCL and DCL's food is about the same quality. Some people get their expectations so high that most cruise food just won't measure up.

Let us know how YOUR cruise goes.
jdb in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 11:04 PM   #12
JLS
Avs Fan / DVC Member

I have heard many people who say "never again" after a trip to Walt Disney World. For others that is their happy place. Definitely a combination of people not doing any research (instead arriving a the parks at 11 am in high season and being angry about long lines) to choosing the wrong vacation. I know a lot of people who don't like the idea of being confined in a small cabin on a ship. There are people who need a lot of physical activities at all times who do jot want to just relax. I have a friend like that who will not go back to Hawaii because it was too "boring". It has nothing to do with whether you will like it. Hope you have a great cruise.
January 2014: Disney Fantasy Western[/FONT]
July 2013: Vero Beach, Bay Lake Tower RCCL Allure of the Seas cruise
December 2012: Christmas at WDW (stayed with Auntie) [/FONT]
July 2012: Vero Beach, Bay Lake Tower and Beach Club Villas
December 2011: Christmas at Bonnet Creek Resort and first family cruise on the Carnival Dream!
July 2011: Beach Club Villas and Animal Kingdom Lodge Villas (Cameron's first trip)
June 2009: Beach Club Villas
June 2008: Beach Club Villas
January 2007: Hilton Grand Vacation Club International Drive
May 2006: Vero Beach Resort, Beach Club Villas (Adrian's first trip)
May 2004: Beach Club Villas
May 2003: Animal Kingdom Lodge, Wilderness Lodge Villas
May 2002: Boardwalk Villas
December 2000: Beach Club Resort
July 2000: Wilderness Lodge
JLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 03:00 AM   #13
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

Quote:
each of them say there is nothing really to do on the ship
Did they not read their Compass every day? Nice long list of all the things going on all morning, afternoon, and evening long....

Made weight goal 1yr8m8days after starting...currently maintaining 85 lb loss thanks to Weight Watchers!
bumbershoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 03:09 AM   #14
jpeppers
DIS Veteran

I truly thought I would hate being on a cruise but it was by far the best vacation I have ever had. I loved it being stress free, no driving and no standing in lines and no budgeting because most everything was paid for. I was so relaxed just kicking back on my verandha. It is definitely a personal choice.
jpeppers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 04:07 AM   #15
ctnurse
DIS Veteran

I can't imagine going on any vacation, that I planned, and not have a great time. I find it sad that someone says a vacation is boring.

With that being said we haven't been on a cruise, but can't wait. We booked the 12 night Northern European for next July, and can't wait! I have been finding out everything I can about it, and can't wait.

ctnurse is online now   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: