DVC RESALES
DVC RESALES

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Vacation Club > Purchasing DVC
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-23-2013, 05:00 PM   #16
davidl81
Mouseketeer

DVC Gold Member
Paid DVC Rent/Trade
Gold Membership

I think at 7 months you can always get SSR or OKW no matter the time of the year. Now getting BLT at 7 months on New Years is another challenge
davidl81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 05:29 PM   #17
Annielkd22222
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidl81 View Post
I think at 7 months you can always get SSR or OKW no matter the time of the year. Now getting BLT at 7 months on New Years is another challenge
I got BLT at 6 months out when I wanted to change my reservation for Christmas week. What I couldn't book was Hilton Head for Easter week, or Boardwalk another April vacation. Saratoga is almost always available.
Annielkd22222 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-23-2013, 05:54 PM   #18
crisi
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annielkd22222 View Post
That's not accurate. I try at 7 months out to try to book a room in April.....and many times there is none available. In December I didn't have a problem booking at 7 months out at all.
Note words like USUALLY in my post. Your experience may have been UNUSUAL which would not make my post inaccurate, but your experience might outside the norm. When your experience is reported over and over again by people on the boards and drusba's regular monitoring of room availability supports it, then your experience will be usual, for now, evidence is that your experience was not usual.
crisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 06:30 PM   #19
JimMIA
A little Miami humor...

Location: Miami, Wyndham Great Smoky Mountains, and EVER (Everglades National Park)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annielkd22222 View Post
That's not accurate. I try at 7 months out to try to book a room in April.....and many times there is none available. In December I didn't have a problem booking at 7 months out at all.
There are no absolutes. We got BCV (the second smallest resort) inside 5 months during May (Flower & Garden) and we've also gotten SSR for New Years Eve less than one month out two years in a row.

A lot of it is luck of the draw, but I think Crisi's assessment is pretty accurate...generally speaking. Not every single time, but generally.
JimMIA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 08:07 PM   #20
Dean
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MickeyNola View Post
So if I understand this right, I can book at my home resort 11 months in advance, or any other DVC seven months in advance, so really the home resort is a convenience thing, you're not tied to staying at your home resort. And points are points, so accumulating points as cheap as possible per point and with the lowest fees is probably a good strategy. Doing some math I realize fees are going to be a big part of the ongoing expenses, so choosing a resort with lower fees will make some savings.

I guess what I'm still struggling with is that as a young family we don't really know how we are going to travel in the future. Right now we have gone to Disney 3 times, each in the late spring/ early summer. Over the 20+ year span of having a DVC membership I'm sure that's going to change. But hey, you never really know for sure, so I guess we're going to take a shot, try and make a good decision and go from there. Thanks again for all the comments, they've really been helpful.
There's a lot going on here. IF I'm reading correctly, you've only had 3 visits and don't have a good feel for long term. In that case committing to DVC might be a very poor option. DVC is notoriously bad to buy to use for non DVC trips. One way around this is to buy planning EOY and using cash or other means for in between trips at Disney or otherwise. That way you get to try out the system with smaller commitment. If you can plan at least by the 7 month window, owning DVC very well may not be a good choice even if going to Disney routinely. IMO home resort does matter but costs matter more once you get up to the level of resort you'd be happy with most trips. Basically assume you will have to stay at that resort every trip and try them all when the opportunity arrises.

Long term costs are a combo of price per point and fees. When the length of RTU is included in the calculations, SSR is generally the cheapest at market prices with OKW close. While HH and VB prices are tempting, the fees long term will almost certainly make them significantly more expensive, esp for VB. As a rule I'm more comfortable seeing people underbuy both in # of points and home resort than over. IF one makes a mistake, better to have $10K invested in SSR than $20-25K in GF or BLT for the same number of points.

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneynutz View Post
Knowing what you know now and realizing that DVC will continue to add more people to the mix which will increase booking competition, do you wish that maybe you should have purchased somewhere else?

Bill
Not Jim but if I did not currently own, I'm not sure I'd buy or would only buy very small but more because we have other options than we don't enjoy or value DVC, simply our situation has changed far more than has DVC. We started out with OKW, added BWV then AKV (4*25). We've downsized from a max of 885 amputating the OKW though we still enjoy the resort. Our plan was really to sell ALL but 25 AKV points and that's still likely our best option but we simply haven't quite gotten around to it. As I've said before, DVC was my first love in timeshares and there's still a bit of an emotional attachment to it.
Old 10-24-2013, 02:39 PM   #21
MickeyNola
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean View Post
There's a lot going on here. IF I'm reading correctly, you've only had 3 visits and don't have a good feel for long term. In that case committing to DVC might be a very poor option. DVC is notoriously bad to buy to use for non DVC trips. One way around this is to buy planning EOY and using cash or other means for in between trips at Disney or otherwise. That way you get to try out the system with smaller commitment. If you can plan at least by the 7 month window, owning DVC very well may not be a good choice even if going to Disney routinely. IMO home resort does matter but costs matter more once you get up to the level of resort you'd be happy with most trips. Basically assume you will have to stay at that resort every trip and try them all when the opportunity arrises.

As a rule I'm more comfortable seeing people underbuy both in # of points and home resort than over. IF one makes a mistake, better to have $10K invested in SSR than $20-25K in GF or BLT for the same number of points.
Just to clarify, my wife and I have been to Disney 3 times together since we're married, but we've both individually been to WDW more times then I can remember, so I'm pretty confident that we plan on continuing to go to Orlando regularly. I think after all this discussion I'm putting about 60/40 weight on User Year and resort location. I spoke with the Mrs. and I think we'll look for a April UY, since we most likely will travel in May or June, and we're still undecided on the resort choice.

I bolded the part above because I think it's a great point and a good part of how we're looking at DVC as pre-purchasing our future vacations. I know we'll always be able to buy more points if we need them, even if it takes a little time to find them. I'm looking to spend between 10-15K, which isn't chump change, but its what we can tolerate in risk. Some of the listings out there for 25-30K in points just aren't in the cards for us right now.
MickeyNola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 02:59 PM   #22
Dean
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MickeyNola View Post
Just to clarify, my wife and I have been to Disney 3 times together since we're married, but we've both individually been to WDW more times then I can remember, so I'm pretty confident that we plan on continuing to go to Orlando regularly. I think after all this discussion I'm putting about 60/40 weight on User Year and resort location. I spoke with the Mrs. and I think we'll look for a April UY, since we most likely will travel in May or June, and we're still undecided on the resort choice.

I bolded the part above because I think it's a great point and a good part of how we're looking at DVC as pre-purchasing our future vacations. I know we'll always be able to buy more points if we need them, even if it takes a little time to find them. I'm looking to spend between 10-15K, which isn't chump change, but its what we can tolerate in risk. Some of the listings out there for 25-30K in points just aren't in the cards for us right now.
Thanks for the clarification and good luck with the choices.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: