Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-21-2013, 12:26 PM   #1
savvy?71
Why so serious?

Hmmm. Strategy change?

Due to various circumstances, our DL trip turned into WDW trip. So I am crash-coursing on the MB and FP+. As it stands we have off site accommodations (in laws time share). But we could snag a couple nights on-site if that helps with the Fast Past concerns. Specifically the ones I am reading that say regular Fast Passes are running out even earlier in the mornings for main headliners such as TSMM.

Would it be better for us to stay on site, even just part of the time, to ensure Fast Pass availability or would the standard plan of Rope Drop--ride attraction--FP--ride again later still work?

We are going Nov 1-6th, so coming up fast.
savvy?71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 01:41 PM   #2
ArwenMarie
DIS Veteran

Based on what I am reading on these boards, onsite will be better if you can prebook some FPs before you go.
ArwenMarie is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-21-2013, 01:48 PM   #3
savvy?71
Why so serious?

Yep, it's looking that way. Now to find out if we do switch to on-site, would we be in time to participate in MB/FP+.

Wow. Between the many refurbishments/closures at DL & now navigating WDW's new system (just that it's on short notice, not that I am condemning it yet as I see the potential), November 2013 is not looking to be our best vacation time!
Old 10-21-2013, 01:57 PM   #4
LSUfan4444
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArwenMarie View Post
Based on what I am reading on these boards, onsite will be better if you can prebook some FPs before you go.
Well of course on-site is better from a FP standpoint, but financial factors need to be taken into account.

Those days, with those crowds, I would save the money, spend it somewhere else and just use a normal RD strategy, using single rider lines when available and visiting recommended parks you should be perfectly fine.

Even at Hollywood Studios, if you are there by 8:30 on a non EMH day, head straight to TSM, then over the Rock n Roller Coaster, Tower of terror, etc., you can have all that done (and do some of them more than once) well before 11 am.

LSUfan4444 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 02:02 PM   #5
ArwenMarie
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSUfan4444 View Post
Well of course on-site is better from a FP standpoint, but financial factors need to be taken into account.

Those days, with those crowds, I would save the money, spend it somewhere else and just use a normal RD strategy, using single rider lines when available and visiting recommended parks you should be perfectly fine.

Even at Hollywood Studios, if you are there by 8:30 on a non EMH day, head straight to TSM, then over the Rock n Roller Coaster, Tower of terror, etc., you can have all that done (and do some of them more than once) well before 11 am.
The OP didnt mention $.
ArwenMarie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 02:04 PM   #6
redsbe
Mouseketeer

Given those dates I am quite certain using RD and avoiding EM parks, you can still get on the most popular rides first (perhaps even gather a later FP to ride again). Ultimately I believe that when FP+ rolls out (with or without regular RP remaining), the greatest impact will be to the mid day arrivals and those trying to ride the same ride multiple times during peak visiting periods without waiting in lines, including those park hopping.
redsbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 02:04 PM   #7
savvy?71
Why so serious?

Quote:

That was exactly my plan, when I started reading the threads here regarding the early morning crowds & FP pulls. I figured the 1st week of Nov won't be as busy as remainder of Oct with all the parties, and in fact, the days were mostly 5's. But posts on here suggest those are not reliable assumptions at this point.

We're early morning people so I can easily manage a good 40 min pre-rope drop wait on a non-emh 'best park' opener. The stress comes in when I worry that's more of a gamble now, and a 'to the wire' kind of thing. I like the idea of a few pre-selected Fast Passes to avoid that whole strategy; I am not sure if we'd be part of that process at this point, by changing on-site so close to our arrival.
Old 10-21-2013, 02:08 PM   #8
LSUfan4444
DIS Veteran

Regardless, financial implications need to be taken into account.

What they did mention is that they are currently planning on using in-laws timeshare points so, my guess is they are either using them for free or for a discount. It appears the decision they are facing is to currently roll with the timeshare (and save money) or book something at Disney (at an additional cost) for the use of FP+.

If everything is equal in terms of finances between staying at a Disney resort and staying off-site, yes, stay at the Disney resort as FP+ will not cost you anything extra, but I can't see how that would be the case.

To the OP: I just went a couple of weeks ago during very similar crowds and in three days we didn't use 1 FP. We pulled one, but ended up not even needing it and gave it away to someone else.

Old 10-21-2013, 02:09 PM   #9
savvy?71
Why so serious?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArwenMarie View Post
The OP didnt mention $.
Well, I've never been one of those "Money is not a factor" kind of people, so yeah we love to save like most other folks

We usually stay on site but a time share slot kind of dropped into our laps. We go regularly enough that we don't always have to have the whole Dis immersion. I actually enjoy off-site activities from time to time (we are obsessed with eating at Sweet Tomatoes, for instance).

Anyway, if we could participate in the new MB/FP+, we'd switch onsite for just a couple nites, to try it out, guarantee some rides. If we can't, it won't ruin the trip at all. We're pretty flexible!
Old 10-21-2013, 02:09 PM   #10
BuzzBelleMom
DIS Veteran

No vacation spot is perfect, but I think your ideas are great. With all of the upset visitors and bad FP news, it is hard to keep a positive attitude. Hope your vacation is magical!
Old 10-21-2013, 02:11 PM   #11
LSUfan4444
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by savvy?71 View Post
That was exactly my plan, when I started reading the threads here regarding the early morning crowds & FP pulls. I figured the 1st week of Nov won't be as busy as remainder of Oct with all the parties, and in fact, the days were mostly 5's. But posts on here suggest those are not reliable assumptions at this point.

We're early morning people so I can easily manage a good 40 min pre-rope drop wait on a non-emh 'best park' opener. The stress comes in when I worry that's more of a gamble now, and a 'to the wire' kind of thing. I like the idea of a few pre-selected Fast Passes to avoid that whole strategy; I am not sure if we'd be part of that process at this point, by changing on-site so close to our arrival.
Alot depends on the group demographics (any kids? etc.) but there are only a few headliners in each park which will get a standby wait of over 25/30 minutes on a recommended day. Between rope drop and an hour or so before close, you should be fine.

The only ride we waited more than 20 minutes on standby for was Soarin (the first day of Food & Wine Fest) and we waited about 40 for that.

Old 10-21-2013, 02:12 PM   #12
savvy?71
Why so serious?

Quote:
Regardless, financial implications need to be taken into account.

What they did mention is that they are currently planning on using in-laws timeshare points so, my guess is they are either using them for free or for a discount. It appears the decision they are facing is to currently roll with the timeshare (and save money) or book something at Disney (at an additional cost) for the use of FP+.

If everything is equal in terms of finances between staying at a Disney resort and staying off-site, yes, stay at the Disney resort as FP+ will not cost you anything extra, but I can't see how that would be the case.

To the OP: I just went a couple of weeks ago during very similar crowds and in three days we didn't use 1 FP. We pulled one, but ended up not even needing it and gave it away to someone else.

Thanks! More phone calls tonight to figure out more details! Whee! Either way I just really need to get there & have a Dole Whip with my kids.
Old 10-21-2013, 02:18 PM   #13
savvy?71
Why so serious?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuzzBelleMom View Post
No vacation spot is perfect, but I think your ideas are great. With all of the upset visitors and bad FP news, it is hard to keep a positive attitude. Hope your vacation is magical!
I've been handwaving all the MB/FP+ threads because our plans were focused on DL for this trip, like 'ya ya, I'll learn @ that next year'. Then with all the ride closures there (BTMRR down now until Feb--over a yr!, Radiator Springs Racers down most of our days there, SM a day, IASM down, a few others --Dole Whips down too!), plus school projects & sports, we just couldn't see putting the time in for a cross country trip to DL.

So we moved things over to WDW and I've been wading thru pages of panic!

But seriously, I am so jonesin' for Disney time with my family, that this whole new thing won't make or break it. We've had a crazy summer and fall so far and family time is priority #1.
Old 10-21-2013, 02:23 PM   #14
savvy?71
Why so serious?

Quote:
Alot depends on the group demographics (any kids? etc.) but there are only a few headliners in each park which will get a standby wait of over 25/30 minutes on a recommended day. Between rope drop and an hour or so before close, you should be fine.

The only ride we waited more than 20 minutes on standby for was Soarin (the first day of Food & Wine Fest) and we waited about 40 for that.
We have a son (9) and a daughter (8), so it's all headliners. Frankly, I am just excited to get on BTMRR (family's fav) as it's still down at DL, not scheduled to reopen until Feb. It's the one ride we all agree on We definitely want TT, though, as it was just a few days from it's re-opening during our last trip. So that's a must.

WDW has so few refurb now, it's awesome. One of the only ones I saw listed was the HISTK playground in HS. The husband & I are rather thrilled about that

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: