Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies > Theme Parks Community
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 10-21-2013, 02:31 PM   #76
saskdw
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktlm View Post
Darn- I wish I would have seen that before I posted- I would have taken that wager!!!

See my post above- not our experience at all.

Unlike the speculators, I lived this thing for 9 days the week before last with them having more resorts/people using the system than in August or September. I have firsthand experience with the thing- and I didn't care much for it. We did really like the magic bands themselves though- it was FP+ and MDE we had issues with.
There is of course no way they will please everyone. I'm hoping some of the issues you had will be ironed out over time. Having just booked 10 days worth of FP+ for are upcoming Dec trip there is very good flexibility for spreading out the 3 FP choices or moving them closer together. It takes a little tinkering in some cases, but the flexibility is there. I'm looking forward to trying it all out. I think December will be closer to the finished product.
Old 10-21-2013, 02:32 PM   #77
OrangeCountyCommuter
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSUfan4444 View Post
The ability to double or triple dip is the biggest factor in how they are getting people to agree to being part of the test. If they only allowed 3 FP+ for testers, hardly anybody would sign up.

Now, that being said what it currently being tested is not what the system will really be. This is a fantasy MB system and alot of people love it, unfortunately for them, when it is fully implemented, it will be quite different.

If you don't want to get to the parks early and don't want to schedule your FP+s well in advance, yes, you are going to hate this new system.

Personally, for the times of year we go and how we tour when we are there, I think it will benefit us a good bit.

But the double and triple dipping is skewing the results. Of course they LOVE FP+ because they still can do this. What are they going to think when "you got your three fast passes, yes one of them was lunch, and that's all you get" And this "get to the park early" Have you heard about what's been happening.. Even with "early" on a Wednesday in October the big rides were out at "New Years Day line" levels according to the folks at Touring Plans (who make a living doing nothing but studying lines) Even they seem to be saying "you are going to be screwed even using our touring plans if you don't have a FP+ for the biggies!

I expect some of the "this is great" are going to turn into the whiners they claim some of the rest of us are. "Wait you mean I can't ride Soarin' twice today unless I wait in an hour plus line" Or what do you mean I can only ride two E tickets since I used a fast pass for lunch LOL!

As for the don't go... I am seriously looking at that option. I was there two weeks ago without the FP+ option since the Swan isn't a part of it yet. Was not pleased with what I saw and expect it's going to get worse not better before someone at Disney wakes up and starts firing folks!

I am not an early booker. I have been known to call Disney for a place to sleep from the airport. Hmm.. Now I can go walk around gift shops when I do that or stand in LONG lines because while Disney will happily take my $$$ they expect me to plan this trip long in advance if I want to actually do anything.. Uh NO! LOL!

And this is NOT a test. A test uses "REAL conditions" (AKA as no double dipping) and has "REAL" feedback (AKA as asking you how it went, not assuming that since you didn't go rip someone's head off in guest relations it was great LOL!)

Last edited by OrangeCountyCommuter; 10-21-2013 at 02:39 PM.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-21-2013, 02:33 PM   #78
Postal68
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by surferdave View Post
Fastpasses have been running out for popular attractions halfway through the morning lately; I woudn't advise anyone to try this strategy unless they plan to fastpass all secondary rides and shows.
and that's part of my point. Basically if you don't reserve your FP 6 months out, your odds of getting one at the park are slim to none because they'll all be gone(at least for the main attractions) And because every FP is gobbled up the stand by lines are impossible unless you feel like spending a quarter of your day at each attraction
Old 10-21-2013, 02:34 PM   #79
Postal68
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disneylover99 View Post
OP.... I think you SHOULD go! Before you blast a system that you haven't experienced, see how the "crap fastpass+ system" really works. Check out how many people are actually double and triple dipping. You might be surprised at what you find out. Maybe you'll discover that it's not so bad, or you actually like the system.
I was there last week
Old 10-21-2013, 02:36 PM   #80
andyman8
DIS Veteran

With FP+, things have clearly gotten out of hand. When this system first began development, it was just going to be a benefit available to just Disney Resort Hotel guests operating alongside standard FP with only 10% of FPs at each attraction being set aside as FP+s.

Then the folks in Finances and Ops got their hands on it and now we're dealing with a situation where FPs are consistently being used up by 10am at extremely popular attractions and wait times are skyrocketing. To those who hold this fallacious belief that this is all a fluke, it's not; last Wednesday, Disney implemented the new FP to FP+ distribution ratio where FP+s were taking somewhere near 70 to 80% of FPs for that day. It's only downhill from here too. As more people use FP+ (umm...aka all those offsiters who initially complained about the initial idea for the system not being fair), fewer and fewer FPs will be distributed day of and availability for FP+s for popular headliners will become more like getting an ADR for a popular restaurant.

I was fine with the new system until my last trip when I saw all of this in action and had one of those moments when I looked at my phone and saw a schedule for my vacation and no FPs available. It's going to be an interesting couple weeks!
Walt Disney World Resort: June 2014 (GF), March 2014 (Day-Trip), January 2014 (Pop[/COLOR], AoA, & Half-Marathon), November 2013 (YC & W&D Half-Marathon), October 2013 (GF), June 2013 (Polynesian), January 2013 (POR & Half-Marathon) December 2012 (Rosen Shingle Creek), July 2012 (GF), June 2011 (CR), March 2011 (Day-Trip), July 2004 (GF), April 2004 (FW), December 2003 (DoubleTree & MVMCP), October 2003 (DoubleTree & MNSSHP), August 2003 (DoubleTree), June 2003 (WL), February 2003 (Embassy Suites) January 2003 (DoubleTree), September 2002 (AKL), July 2002 (DoubleTree), March 2002 (DoubleTree), January 2002 (CR), November 2001 (DoubleTree), May 2001 (DoubleTree), February 2001 (DoubleTree), January 2001 (DoubleTree), April 2000 (DoubleTree), February 1998 (Quality Inn & Suites)

Universal Orlando Resort: October 2012 (RPR), September 2011 (HRH), July 2010 (RPR), March 2010 (RPR), February 2010 (Day-Trip), September 2009 (HRH), January 2008 (HRH), June 2006 (PBH)

Disneyland Resort: August 2012 (Day-Trip), August 2009 (Day-Trip)

Upcoming: Disneyland July 2014 (GCH), Walt Disney World October 2013 (Dolphin & ToT 10-Miler)

Member of the PeopleMover Appreciation Society, Official MyMagic+ Info & FAQ Thread, and Printable Theme Park Maps
Old 10-21-2013, 02:37 PM   #81
BayouMickey
Green Grinning Gators Come Out To Socialize

Quote:
Originally Posted by surferdave View Post
That may work for awhile, but I've got my doubts about long term when the real volume hits. I still have access for a few more days, so I just tried reserving some Epcot Fastpasses for tomorrow (I'm doing this at about 3:30 in the afternoon). The earliest I could get Soarin' for tomorrow was 2:20pm-3:20pm. I presume that by 6pm I would get worse choices.
BUT! you could get it!
Old 10-21-2013, 02:39 PM   #82
Postal68
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by KimWDW View Post

But when the paper is gone and all that's left is kiosks...there will be no same day FPs. Mark my words. If people can reserve them 60 days out, there will be NOTHING available on the kiosks the day you walk into the park. Same as what happened with table service restaurants. People will run to reserve ahead of time so they don't miss out. And there will be nothing left for people who don't want to plan every second of their trip months ahead of time.
You are 100% correct, and that is why I think I may have spent my last day in WDW. I'll enjoy the Disney "Magic" on the cruise line which we have done the last 2 years and is now more enjoyable than the Parks. And even when the ships are at capacity, we can enjoy the vacation just as much as if it was empty. No having to worry about "on" or "Off" seasons, unless we want to save a little money
Old 10-21-2013, 02:39 PM   #83
franluvsbubba
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by delmar411 View Post
You can't move your TSM time same day very successfully now. You are going to have to make a plan and stick to it when this is fully rolled out. It's pretty cruddy and unlike the ADR system there is no way to cancel a FP+ that you aren't going to be able to make it to so there will be tons of unused slots that other ppl want but can't get.
You are able to cancel your resv. It gives you an option on MDE. You can cancel or change and it won't get rid of your current resv until you confirm. We are going in Dec and it'll be interesting to see how it goes. I myself stopped doing TSP and just picked the QSP for the same reason as OP's. Don't like having to be forced to go to a certain park on a certain day cause weather may be bad, crowds may be bad, or we may just want to relax that day. All things you don't know 60 or more days out. <Sigh>.
Old 10-21-2013, 02:40 PM   #84
saskdw
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by magicbob View Post

As others have said, it won't be long until you have to get up at 6am to book your FP+ times at 60 days out or you won't be able to get them for popular rides.
I don't believe that. The system is pretty much 100% live at all resorts for December. I've had no problem booking whatever I want so far and going back in days later to make adjustments. The only part of the new policy's that won't be 100% when we are there is the ADR's. There will still be some people with multiple ADR's booked before Oct. 31st, but I think the whole experience will be very close to the finished product.

Keep in mind the small number of people on DIS boards compared to the overall number of WDW vacationer's. 90% of them will not be booking FP+ the morning the 60 day window opens.
Old 10-21-2013, 02:40 PM   #85
BayouMickey
Green Grinning Gators Come Out To Socialize

Surferdave, maybe you can answer this.. Everyone is assuming FP- is going away, has this been officially stated?
Old 10-21-2013, 02:42 PM   #86
izzy
"It's not the heat -- it's the stupidity"

I just got back to my room from spending the day at Epcot. I am so glad that I decided to do the magic bands, otherwise I would have been screwed. I was walking to Soarin at 10:15 this morning, and there was a sign that all fast passes had already been distributed for the day! I feel really bad for anyone who us staying in a non-participating resort or off-site. Essentially you are out if luck if you want to do any if the headliner attractions unless you do standby. I almost didn't do the magic bands and FP+ because I don't like my vacation to be that structured. However, if I hadn't done it, then I would have been waiting in some really long standby lines. I have to think that guest services is getting an earful from disgruntled guests, particularly the ones staying on-site in non-participating resorts.

So far the bands are working OK for us. The only hitch was getting into Epcot this morning. We were in line a few minutes before 9, and it took almost 25 minutes to get to the scanner. The scanners on the side we were on just didn't seem to want to scan the bands. It was really frustrating.

Old 10-21-2013, 02:43 PM   #87
LSUfan4444
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Postal68 View Post
and that's part of my point. Basically if you don't reserve your FP 6 months out, your odds of getting one at the park are slim to none because they'll all be gone(at least for the main attractions) And because every FP is gobbled up the stand by lines are impossible unless you feel like spending a quarter of your day at each attraction

6 months is a slight exaggeration.

Right now people are only able to start customizing their MBs about 70 days out and the expectation is that FP+ reservations will be able to be made 60 days out.

Being that ADRs are made very regularly 6 months out, it isn't inconceivable that alot of people will have a good idea of what parks they will be in some time over that 4 month period between making ADRs and the ability to make FP+ reservations.

Now, for the ones who don't plan and don't make ADRs either, yeah, this is probably going to suck for you.

Old 10-21-2013, 02:43 PM   #88
sjs314
"Laughter is timeless, imagination has no age, and dreams are forever" Walt Disney

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyBeBop View Post
That would be me. We arrive at Wyndham Bonnet Creek in six days. I get this sick feeling that our MK days will be limited to Stitch's Great Escape and the People Mover.

Don't feel so bad I arrive in 13 Days staying onsite @ AKL but have been denied the use of FP+ since I bought our tickets from UT and can not link them to our reservation.

IT says go to guest services they can fix it when I arrive, IT says I can get the much coveted BOG lunch FP after check in go to the concierge.

So far the whole new FP+ has not been friendly to me. Why it is tied to your park tickets when I have a onsite reservation is beyond reasoning to me.

Shawn 1/9/70-2/13/12
Jason 8/21/79-7/15/09
Sheila
Old 10-21-2013, 02:45 PM   #89
Postal68
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShayBells View Post
First. You can ride whatever you want. You dot need a fast pass at all that's why there are stand by lines. You say running the risk of not riding at all but that's not true.
The Stand By lines are unbearable when all FPs are gone for the day. For the people that don't like to plan, that means you show up to the Park for the day, there is ZERO chance of getting a FP for the main attraction because their gone. The Stand By lines for all of these are 90+ minutes so you get to do about 4 or 5 attractions in an entire day because of the waits in Stand By created by FP+.

No thanks, riding 5 attractions isn't worth 90 bucks a day X family of 4
Old 10-21-2013, 02:46 PM   #90
LSUfan4444
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by izzy View Post
I just got back to my room from spending the day at Epcot. I am so glad that I decided to do the magic bands, otherwise I would have been screwed. I was walking to Soarin at 10:15 this morning, and there was a sign that all fast passes had already been distributed for the day! I feel really bad for anyone who us staying in a non-participating resort or off-site. Essentially you are out if luck if you want to do any if the headliner attractions unless you do standby. I almost didn't do the magic bands and FP+ because I don't like my vacation to be that structured. However, if I hadn't done it, then I would have been waiting in some really long standby lines. I have to think that guest services is getting an earful from disgruntled guests, particularly the ones staying on-site in non-participating resorts.

So far the bands are working OK for us. The only hitch was getting into Epcot this morning. We were in line a few minutes before 9, and it took almost 25 minutes to get to the scanner. The scanners on the side we were on just didn't seem to want to scan the bands. It was really frustrating.
If you were in line before the park opened (and you didn't have magic bands) you could have walked directly to Soarin and done it via standby then with a short wait or grabbed FPs for later in the day.

Now, had you not arrived after 10 am, yeah, your options really start to diminish.

Closed Thread

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: