Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies > Theme Parks Community
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read





Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-24-2013, 03:28 PM   #391
JRawkSteady
Mousecessed DIS Veteran
 
JRawkSteady's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: NYC
Posts: 2,143

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethanwa View Post
Here is my take on this thread:

CHANGE IN LIFE HAPPENS. DEAL WITH IT.

The OP says he's been going to Disney for 30 years.... did you really think it was going to stay the same in your entire lifetime? That Disney wasn't going to adjust to new technology and find ways to improve experiences for some people?

When a change happens to a large group (like in this case), you can NEVER make everyone 100% happy with the change. It's impossible. Disney had to make a very hard choice here... leave things the way they are? Or try and make improvements for a majority of guests after listening to YEARS of feedback? If Disney didn't roll out FastPass+, we'd still have all sorts of other complaints about the old system and why Disney isn't using new technology and still using paper tickets and running at Rope Drop to Toy Story Mania and blah blah blah.

For people who aren't 30 year veterans, who don't know how it all works, this system may actually make their planning easier for the overwhelming trip that Disney is. And they want to cater to NEW customers.... after all, they already have your business! I'm not a Disney apologist. I am a realist. Change sucks... you can either whine and complain, or just deal with it and give Disney your feedback. Eventually maybe they'll work out the kinks for you.

FastPass+ isn't perfect. Nothing is. But it's also brand new and has a lot of growth and kinks to go through. Give it a chance.

Ethan
This is a great post, but I will have to disagree with on thing... the above bolded statement. I do not think it makes planning easier for non-vets visitors for these three reasons:

1) If they have never been to WDW, then they wouldn't know what to book ahead of time. It's not until they have actually arrived that they will find out what they like and want to take advantage of the Fastpass for those attractions. Otherwise, it's all just hearsay and shots in the dark...thereforee making a way more stressful situation.

2) Disney prides themselves on trying to sell parkhopper passes. But with the FP+ only being in one park per day, it makes no sense for a newer guest to want to purchase the parkhopper option. And if they do purchase the parkhopper option, they will soon find out that they aren't using them becaus ethey have to hit all their FP+ locations in the same park!

3) While change is great, there was nothing wrong with the old system. It was easy to explain and was 100% guest friendly. The new system, however, is a nightmare....why? Because it has so many flaws that you really have to work at to get around...When I tried to explain FP+ to my best friend (who is a HUGE WDW fanatic, but hasn't gone in three years), he could not wrap his head around the concept. Not because he is computer illiterate,
but because it is difficult to explain unless you've been physically hands-on with the system. It was never like that with FP-

My 3 cents...
__________________
"And it rained...and rained...and rained..... ..... ..... .... the deluge"!

" Imagine if the trip were not merely the width of this room but the breadth of a galaxy, the span of a universe. Well imagine no more. Because soon one of you will be taking that trip. One of you will seize the future with XS! Bon Voyage!"

JRawkSteady is offline  
Old 10-24-2013, 03:43 PM   #392
skriegerjr
Monorail Maven
 
skriegerjr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: WNY
Posts: 475

Quote:
Originally Posted by Postal68 View Post
Ummm, maybe because the offsite guest is spending the SAME EXACT AMOUNT OF MONEY FOR THEIR PARK ADMISSION as the on site guest???

It is an udder abomination that Disney is screwing a huge percentile of their park guests with this new FP+. If you want to reward people for staying on your property, that's fine. But do it in a way that doesn't penalize guests that are paying the same price for the same ticket.
Offsite guests, however, are not spending the SAME EXACT AMOUNT OF MONEY with Disney as on Onsite Guest is. Disney is capturing a significant amount more money from guests who stay onsite, both in hotel revenue, but then also consider, if guests are flying, like we are, and using DME, then we are "captive" for the entirety of our stay, unless we choose to take a taxi off property. So during our time there, we're more likely than someone staying off-site, to spend more money on food, souveniers, etc.

So your view is that someone who is spending significantly less with Disney than an Onsite Guest should have the same benefits because they spend the same amount on tickets?
__________________
"Please stand clear of the doors...
Por favor mantengase alejado de las puertas"


"Any review by me is based on my own personal experience and isn't necessarily indicative of similar experiences in the future, for myself or for other guests. Please use the review at your own risk, and know that it is worth exactly what you paid for it..."


skriegerjr is offline  
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 10-24-2013, 03:48 PM   #393
diskev
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 139

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angel Ariel View Post
My concerns are related to the fact that Disney's IT dept has a really crappy track record. Their websites are consistently slow to load and cumbersome to navigate. The Wifi in the parks has been consistently unreliable. The backbone of Disney's IT is the cornerstone for this entire $1 Billion dollar project. I don't have confidence that they can actually make the system function as it is supposed to - and that is based on years of evidence of their IT dept lacking in execution.
As somebody who has worked with (but not for) "Disney IT" I can assure you with 100% confidence that the groups you've noted (Websites, In-Park WIFI) are COMPLETELY separate. Not only that, but the group that creates Web Content is totally separate from the group that handles the backend infrastructure to support those websites.

Does that mean that the individual groups work well? Not at all. However, you cannot take something like slow websites and use that as reasoning to assume other parts of the "Disney Electronic Infrastructure" will fail.
diskev is offline  
Old 10-24-2013, 03:51 PM   #394
skriegerjr
Monorail Maven
 
skriegerjr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: WNY
Posts: 475

Quote:
Originally Posted by Postal68 View Post
udder abomination
Is that different than an utter abomination?
__________________
"Please stand clear of the doors...
Por favor mantengase alejado de las puertas"


"Any review by me is based on my own personal experience and isn't necessarily indicative of similar experiences in the future, for myself or for other guests. Please use the review at your own risk, and know that it is worth exactly what you paid for it..."


skriegerjr is offline  
Old 10-24-2013, 04:05 PM   #395
DRDISNEYMD
*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+* *+*~The Snow Queen~*+* ~A girl should be two things: *+*~Classy & Fabulous~*+* +*+*~Coco Chanel~*+*+*+ *+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*
 
DRDISNEYMD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 2,482

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethanwa View Post
Here is my take on this thread:

CHANGE IN LIFE HAPPENS. DEAL WITH IT.

The OP says he's been going to Disney for 30 years.... did you really think it was going to stay the same in your entire lifetime? That Disney wasn't going to adjust to new technology and find ways to improve experiences for some people?

When a change happens to a large group (like in this case), you can NEVER make everyone 100% happy with the change. It's impossible. Disney had to make a very hard choice here... leave things the way they are? Or try and make improvements for a majority of guests after listening to YEARS of feedback? If Disney didn't roll out FastPass+, we'd still have all sorts of other complaints about the old system and why Disney isn't using new technology and still using paper tickets and running at Rope Drop to Toy Story Mania and blah blah blah.

For people who aren't 30 year veterans, who don't know how it all works, this system may actually make their planning easier for the overwhelming trip that Disney is. And they want to cater to NEW customers.... after all, they already have your business! I'm not a Disney apologist. I am a realist. Change sucks... you can either whine and complain, or just deal with it and give Disney your feedback. Eventually maybe they'll work out the kinks for you.

FastPass+ isn't perfect. Nothing is. But it's also brand new and has a lot of growth and kinks to go through. Give it a chance.

Ethan
~Hmmm.... this fabulous post needs a visual demonstration. Chop Chop & never give up!

__________________

DRDISNEYMD is offline  
Old 10-24-2013, 04:05 PM   #396
WDSearcher
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 11,916

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRawkSteady View Post
This is a great post, but I will have to disagree with on thing... the above bolded statement. I do not think it makes planning easier for non-vets visitors for these three reasons:

1) If they have never been to WDW, then they wouldn't know what to book ahead of time. It's not until they have actually arrived that they will find out what they like and want to take advantage of the Fastpass for those attractions. Otherwise, it's all just hearsay and shots in the dark...thereforee making a way more stressful situation.
This is true if you're assuming that no first-time WDW visitor ever thinks to do any research, that none of them ever picks up a guidebook, that they never ask anyone for hints, that they've never seen a planning video, and that they have never heard of anything in the parks. In pre-internet days I could see this maybe possibly happening. But in this day and age, it's highly unlikely that someone will step into the "booking" phase without knowing ANYTHING. And if they do walk into it with no knowledge at all, then they're not likely to just book rides and shows willy-nilly without at least reading the descriptions or looking at a photo.

Even so ... with the "old" system, the same was true. If someone had never been to WDW before, and they had no idea how popular a ride like TSM was, they could easily show up at DHS at 2pm thinking, "Hey ... let's get a FP for that Toy Story ride", only to discover that they were all gone. So it's exactly the same thing -- they didn't know that the ride they wanted to ride was so darn popular. Even though they're in the park and know what they want a FP for, there are none available. FP- doesn't fix that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRawkSteady View Post
2) Disney prides themselves on trying to sell parkhopper passes. But with the FP+ only being in one park per day, it makes no sense for a newer guest to want to purchase the parkhopper option. And if they do purchase the parkhopper option, they will soon find out that they aren't using them becaus ethey have to hit all their FP+ locations in the same park!
Well, FP+ as it's being tested now is only one park per day. But since we don't know what the final system will be, it's hard to say that this will be an issue. But honestly -- this seems perfect for newer guests. I mean, lots of people here on the DIS consistently recommend that newbies go to one park per day because it will be easier, less overwhelming, and less stressful than trying to get your money's worth out of a hopper pass on a first trip.

On the flip side ... if I'm a new visitor and I can only do FPs at one park, it could also make it easier to park hop, since once my three for the day are used up, I don't have to worry about trying to hop over to another park for a while and then make it back in time for a FP I pulled in the morning that has a return time of 6pm. I can finish in my "FP Park" and then head over to something else without having to watch the clock or try and figure out how long it will take to get from DHS back to Epcot so I can ride Soarin'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRawkSteady View Post
3) While change is great, there was nothing wrong with the old system. It was easy to explain and was 100% guest friendly. The new system, however, is a nightmare....why? Because it has so many flaws that you really have to work at to get around...When I tried to explain FP+ to my best friend (who is a HUGE WDW fanatic, but hasn't gone in three years), he could not wrap his head around the concept. Not because he is computer illiterate, but because it is difficult to explain unless you've been physically hands-on with the system. It was never like that with FP-
But it's NOT a nightmare. Not to everyone. Many people have reported being perfectly happy with the system and having no issues.

And while it has flaws, it's also not in its final form -- something people keep forgetting. And really ... I think FP+ is extremely easy to explain: "You can reserve FPs for rides in advance so that you don't have to pull them in the park day-of. It's like making a dining reservation instead of hoping for a walk-up." Poof. Done. Sure there are all sorts of permutations and options and such, but if you're just trying to explain the system, that's really all it is. I think people get so involved in trying to explain every little thing that they over-do it and get lost in the process. It's like trying to explain tickets. Tickets are incredibly complicated and a total nightmare for lots of people. It's really difficult to explain unless you've been physically hands-on with the system. Yet ... newbies manage.

FP- is confusing too, if you've never been to Disney or if you're used to other parks. How many people have we all heard say, "I'm not doing that FastPass thing because I can't afford it" and then won't believe us when we say it doesn't cost anything? How many of us have been incredulous because we meet people in the parks who are confused about FP and don't even know it exists? How many times has someone posted about people in the stand-by line giving them dirty looks because they were using a FP? Clearly, not everyone understands FP as it is. It's not like the whole theme park world "gets" FP- while FP+ is unintelligible.

WDSearcher is offline  
Old 10-24-2013, 04:07 PM   #397
wisblue
DIS Veteran
 
wisblue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 1,986

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRawkSteady View Post
It was easy to explain and was 100% guest friendly.
I disagree with this.

I don't think it's that easy to explain that you could get a fastpass at some attractions, but not others, and once you get one you can't get another one until the earlier of (1) 2 hours from the time you got your current pass, or (2) the beginning of the return time of your current pass. Keep in mind, however, that the number of fastpasses is limited so, for popular attractions, especially at busy times of the year, you'd better get one early or you may not get one at all.

I could easily argue that it is easier for someone, in the comfort of their home, to make reservations for the couple of attractions they REALLY want to do at each park than it is to figure out the fastpass system on the fly while you're in the park.

The paper system was easy for the people who learned how it worked and developed their park strategies to take maximum advantage of it. But I don't think it was that easy for the occasional visitor who doesn't do a lot of planning in advance.

It seems to me that a lot of the people who are complaining the most are people who are most familiar with WDW and how it operates and are upset that this will force them to change their approaches. But, I am confident that, once the dust settles, these same people will make the adjustments and will still be able to take advantage of them.

I really think we need to separate the complaints about the CONCEPT of FP+ from the complaints and concerns about problems with the transition to the new system. There are legitimate reasons for people to have differing opinions about the merits of either system, but the fact that a transition from one to the other is going to have a few rough spots is not IMHO one of them.
wisblue is offline  
Old 10-24-2013, 04:14 PM   #398
Cyrano

Disney VIP
Anyone for haggis
Aren't we all a cagey lot
 
Cyrano's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: 6,800Km from our happy place
Posts: 31,599
DISboards Moderator

Moving to TP Community as this thread does not assist with Trip Planning
__________________
Reid

Theme Park Attractions & Strategies board
20 nights Disney and Universal July 2015
Twelve highlanders and a bagpipe make a rebellion.
Cyrano is offline  
Old 10-24-2013, 05:00 PM   #399
Postal68
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 715

Quote:
Originally Posted by skriegerjr View Post
Offsite guests, however, are not spending the SAME EXACT AMOUNT OF MONEY with Disney as on Onsite Guest is. Disney is capturing a significant amount more money from guests who stay onsite, both in hotel revenue, but then also consider, if guests are flying, like we are, and using DME, then we are "captive" for the entirety of our stay, unless we choose to take a taxi off property. So during our time there, we're more likely than someone staying off-site, to spend more money on food, souveniers, etc.

So your view is that someone who is spending significantly less with Disney than an Onsite Guest should have the same benefits because they spend the same amount on tickets?

They are not spending less in the Park and for the Park ticket.

Give on site guests benefits of stuff like extra Magic hours, or maybe even discounted Park tickets. They are spending more money than the non resort guests, but they aren't spending anymore in relation to the Parks. In fact you can say that Disney Resort guests are spending LESS in relation to Park visits because they aren't paying for Parking in most cases.
Postal68 is offline  
Old 10-24-2013, 05:28 PM   #400
Fantaluminishes
To all who come to this happy place, welcome!
 
Fantaluminishes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Komandorski Village
Posts: 492

Not going to read through 27 pages of stuff to say this:
I love everything about FP+ and Magic Bands. Together, they made my September trip one of the best WDW trips I've ever had. I only double-dipped when I was park-hopping. But I could easily do without that. Yes, I was there during a slower season, but when you have EMH and FP+, it's quite easy to make the system work. Don't use FP+ for EMH, and save those attractions for the more crowded times of the day.

I enjoyed having the FP+ option for parades and fireworks. The viewing locations were pretty good, and not having to wait in a long line for Fantasmic, or camp-out on main street for a parade spot is a huge plus.

The Magic Band is best thing Disney has come-up with since the "E" ticket. Who wouldn't want to have their room key, park tickets, charging privilages and fastpasses all linked to a single band that you wear on your wrist?

Only a paranoid, conspiracy theorist. That's who.
__________________
DLR 100+ times since '67. WDW: '97 - '01, '12 and '13 ASMU, Ft. WL, CSR, AKL, WL, (and off-site twice)
Fantaluminishes is offline  
Old 10-24-2013, 05:37 PM   #401
crazyventures
Mouseketeer
 
crazyventures's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: San Francisco Bay Area, California
Posts: 121

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fantaluminishes View Post
The Magic Band is best thing Disney has come-up with since the "E" ticket. Who wouldn't want to have their room key, park tickets, charging privilages and fastpasses all linked to a single band that you wear on your wrist?
Someone who isn't accustomed to wearing ugly jewelry and doesn't like tan lines

I'm vain. I'm sorry.
__________________
Disneyland Premium AP holder: Too many times to count
WDW: 1992, 1997, Christmas 2012, Thanksgiving 2014

crazyventures is offline  
Old 10-24-2013, 05:43 PM   #402
skriegerjr
Monorail Maven
 
skriegerjr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: WNY
Posts: 475

Quote:
Originally Posted by Postal68

They are not spending less in the Park and for the Park ticket.

Give on site guests benefits of stuff like extra Magic hours, or maybe even discounted Park tickets. They are spending more money than the non resort guests, but they aren't spending anymore in relation to the Parks. In fact you can say that Disney Resort guests are spending LESS in relation to Park visits because they aren't paying for Parking in most cases.
If you believe they aren't paying for parking in the form of a more expensive hotel room, then I would agree with you. All of the perks I mentioned are all built into the price of the room!

Sent from my rooted Samsung Galaxy SIII using the DISBoards app
__________________
"Please stand clear of the doors...
Por favor mantengase alejado de las puertas"


"Any review by me is based on my own personal experience and isn't necessarily indicative of similar experiences in the future, for myself or for other guests. Please use the review at your own risk, and know that it is worth exactly what you paid for it..."


skriegerjr is offline  
Old 10-24-2013, 05:45 PM   #403
skriegerjr
Monorail Maven
 
skriegerjr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: WNY
Posts: 475

Quote:
Originally Posted by Postal68

yeah it is, I made a mistake, sorry King

You are the biggest, most arrogant person on this board.

And I am being kind by saying person. You're trash.
Keeping it classy, again with the name calling.

Sent from my rooted Samsung Galaxy SIII using the DISBoards app
__________________
"Please stand clear of the doors...
Por favor mantengase alejado de las puertas"


"Any review by me is based on my own personal experience and isn't necessarily indicative of similar experiences in the future, for myself or for other guests. Please use the review at your own risk, and know that it is worth exactly what you paid for it..."


skriegerjr is offline  
Old 10-24-2013, 05:57 PM   #404
Cyrano

Disney VIP
Anyone for haggis
Aren't we all a cagey lot
 
Cyrano's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: 6,800Km from our happy place
Posts: 31,599
DISboards Moderator

Closed
__________________
Reid

Theme Park Attractions & Strategies board
20 nights Disney and Universal July 2015
Twelve highlanders and a bagpipe make a rebellion.
Cyrano is offline  
Closed Thread



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:25 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.