Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies > Theme Parks Community
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 10-21-2013, 03:37 PM   #136
izzy
"It's not the heat -- it's the stupidity"

Quote:
Originally Posted by JanaDee View Post

Did you notice how long the line was at Guest Services when you left? I'm curious as to how many people are complaining about this.
I didn't walk out on that side, but now I wish I had. LOL!

My friend's daughter works here on the college program, and she has laughingly said that she is going to try to get a full time job in guest services because she thinks they're going up have to hire a lot of people to deal with all of the complaints she has been hearing about MDE, FP+, and MB.

Old 10-21-2013, 03:37 PM   #137
WDSearcher
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DPickering View Post
Sensible except there comes a point where the amount of research or advanced planning needed to enjoy the park becomes ridiculous or onerous. You mention getting stuck at the airport. Great example. If it's something simple and reasonable like you forgot your ticket, it's your fault. If it's because customs has a messed up, overly complicated set of requirements then it's customs fault and the system needs to be streamlined.

Some people find fp+ to be easy, convenient and helpful. Others find it to be an onerous, restrictive pain in the butt. If in the future more people fall in the latter camp the problem likely will not be resolved by Disney telling them 'Well it's your fault it's not working out. You need to do more research and planning to have fun at our parks.'
No, it won't. But since some people DO find fp+ to be easy, convenient and helpful, then there's also just as much of a chance that more people would fall into THAT camp. Which means that two or three years from now, when someone comes onto the DIS to complain that "all these people had FPs to the ride we wanted and we had to wait in line forever ... it's not fair!", all the DIS vets will say, "Well ... what did you expect? You need to do more research and planning if getting on that ride is so important to you."

|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-21-2013, 03:37 PM   #138
ArwenMarie
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeCountyCommuter View Post
I wish I owned stock in Universal. Because I think they will be the big winners
Universal could definitely be a winner here.
I think Disney's hotels will also be a winner.
The losers will be the offsite hotels etc around WDW.
JMO
Old 10-21-2013, 03:37 PM   #139
diskev
Mouseketeer

This thread is moving too fast. I need time to collect my thoughts!

When I first heard about FP+ I was skeptical. When I heard about the limit of three I was disappointed. I can easily pull twice that on any given day. My family does Disney hardcore. The idea of not getting all I want done when I want it done is disheartening. That said, when FP- first started my wife and I were upset. We had a whole method on doing Disney. It was incredibly efficient and FP- really mucked it up. It took about half a day at MK, but we worked through our issues and got in a groove. In the years since then, I feel like we've really become masters of FP. FP+ represents a new set of challenges. I feel confident we can and will adjust, but after the test the limitation of three FP will become a major factor in decisions regarding future vacations. I can't say how yet, but I'll know more after our upcoming trip.

As for the planning, I too was concerned with it. This is where I feel the limitation of three FP+ is a positive. Each day I've picked the must-do things. Everything else will fall into place through FP- or on-the-fly adjustments. The major benefit is I have the opportunity to do things I haven't done in a long time. Without FP+ it would be yet another year without Fantasmic. I haven't seen the show in 11 years. I am very much looking forward to it this trip. But the limited planning of three FP+ is no different than obsessive task of obtaining the must have ADRs. Many keep saying that without booking at the first possible moment you won't get what you want. I NEVER book 180 days out. I just can't plan that far in advance. Yet every trip, year after year, I succeed in getting my must have ADRs. This year that includes BOG dinner, which I easily obtained through persistence at around the 80 day mark (which was only about two weeks after I booked the vacation).

As a superfan, I know how easy it is to get wrapped up in the hype and hysteria. I haven't experienced FP+ yet so I can't say that those who have are wrong. I just think, based on the information we have thus far, those people are focused on the wrong thing. Time will tell, and I look forward to learning more first hand.
Old 10-21-2013, 03:39 PM   #140
DPickering
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDSearcher View Post
No, it won't. But since some people DO find fp+ to be easy, convenient and helpful, then there's also just as much of a chance that more people would fall into THAT camp. Which means that two or three years from now, when someone comes onto the DIS to complain that "all these people had FPs to the ride we wanted and we had to wait in line forever ... it's not fair!", all the DIS vets will say, "Well ... what did you expect? You need to do more research and planning if getting on that ride is so important to you."
heh Unfortunately yeah.
Old 10-21-2013, 03:42 PM   #141
3Gsandme
DIS Veteran

From what I understand there have been FP glitches the past week or so which, coupled with higher expected crowds, have made using FP difficult. I really think what is causing people to be shocked is FP+return slots being deducted from the general pool. It's not that there are less overall, just less available traditionally which makes sense.

I'm from Cedar Point land where waits of 60-120 minutes for a major headliner isn't unheard of, so I don't get the gnashing of teeth over waiting that long for a major headliner ride at Disney. I guess I'd expect that?

Lastly, I like the idea of FP+. I have my color code notecards and spread sheets at the ready. . Actually, since I had to make ADRs at 180 days out, picking 3 events in the park I have my reservations at isn't an issue. I don't see it as a hinderance and expect it to be less stressful. On our first park day, we have ADRs at EPCOR and plan to spend our day there. I'm find with knowing that we'll be on Mission: Space at 10:30 or Soarin' at 2. We can just block in around it. It's fine and there is no FP race at rope drop.

My November 2015 PTR-Heigh Ho Ho HO!
Old 10-21-2013, 03:43 PM   #142
Disneylover99
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Postal68 View Post
I was there last week
I was there last week as well. I didn't find that FP ran out any earlier then usual. One day we hopped over to HS at about 5 and saw there was still FP available for most of the headliners.

I did find it pretty busy last week, but you can't blame the crowds on FP+.
Old 10-21-2013, 03:44 PM   #143
JRawkSteady
Mousecessed DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by surferdave View Post
Don't worry about the people who are ranting about "double dipping" as they've termed it, they don't understand beta testing and their opinion never mattered anyway. Just let them scream at the walls and chew on their leather straps.
Thanks.. I just get so frustrated when people decide on their own what is right and wrong and quote it as if it Disney policy. LOL!

" Imagine if the trip were not merely the width of this room but the breadth of a galaxy, the span of a universe. Well imagine no more. Because soon one of you will be taking that trip. One of you will seize the future with XS! Bon Voyage!"

Mouse Rants Podcast

Old 10-21-2013, 03:48 PM   #144
LSUfan4444
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disneylover99 View Post
I was there last week as well. I didn't find that FP ran out any earlier then usual. One day we hopped over to HS at about 5 and saw there was still FP available for most of the headliners.
There were adjustments made to the FP- availability as more because available for FP+. This has created rides like Tower of Terror, Rock N Roller Coaster, Toy Story (of course) to completely run out of fastpasses by 11 am
Old 10-21-2013, 03:51 PM   #145
Jennasis
It's a miracle! I stayed awake during the El Rio Del Tiempo ride!
Let's not even TOUCH the whole Dog vs. dawg vs. Dowg thing!
PLINKO baby!

I don't understand the 60 day thing. Why not just make the FP selections available that morning?
Old 10-21-2013, 03:52 PM   #146
saskdw
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLchick415 View Post
Not to mention, Universal's only on-site hotels aren't exactly cheap. I love Uni, but I can't afford to stay on-site. With Disney, I can. (And I LOVE Universal...really would love to plan another trip there soon...I'm just pointing out a fact)
Yeah, that's the point. You either pay for Deluxe accomodations, you buy expensive Express Pass that runs about $200 a day for a family of 4 or you wait in the 90 min line.
Old 10-21-2013, 03:56 PM   #147
FLchick415
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by saskdw View Post
Yeah, that's the point. You either pay for Deluxe accomodations, you buy expensive Express Pass that runs about $200 a day for a family of 4 or you wait in the 90 min line.

~*All Star Movies*~*Port Orleans French Quarter*~*Wilderness Lodge*~*Pop Century(x4)*~*Caribbean Beach Jamaica*~*All Star Music*~*Countless other times off site*~
Old 10-21-2013, 03:59 PM   #148
Disneylover99
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSUfan4444 View Post
There were adjustments made to the FP- availability as more because available for FP+. This has created rides like Tower of Terror, Rock N Roller Coaster, Toy Story (of course) to completely run out of fastpasses by 11 am
I heard there was a day or two last week when this was happening, but I thought they had fixed the problem.
Old 10-21-2013, 04:02 PM   #149
ktlm
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Postal68 View Post
Disney transportation SUCKS since the World has become so big with so many resort hotels. You have to wait in a line for 2 or 3 buses then you get to cram on a bus where people don't know when full capacity stops. I'll take my car and be back to my room in half the time the people using Disney's uncomfortable and slow transportation.

Years ago I would always tell people it was great to stay on property and use their transportation, now I tell people the complete opposite.
Well, on a postive side note, we had fantastic bus service two weeks ago when we were at WDW. That was something I didn't expect in staying at the Beach Club for the first time. I thought we were in for long waits and packed busses. That wasn't our experiece at all. The only time the bus was so full it could fit no one else on it and people were waiting- another empty bus pulled up behind it before it even left. That was also the only time we ever had a long wait for a bus (which is probably why there were so many people waiting). Other than that, I think there was only one time we had to wait more than 5 minutes.
Old 10-21-2013, 04:04 PM   #150
magicbob
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by BayouMickey View Post
Surferdave, maybe you can answer this.. Everyone is assuming FP- is going away, has this been officially stated?
Um... Disney has said repeatedly all along that legacy FP is going away. So your bold statements on the greatness of FP+ were made without even realizing that FP- is going away? Is it too late to take you up on that wager?

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDSearcher View Post
But that's true under the "old" (or "current", depending on how you want to look at it) system too. If I don't get up at 7am and get myself to DHS for opening and be among the first to get to TSM, then I'm not going to get a FP for 11am. And if the only time I want to go is 11am, then I'm an unhappy guest standing in that 2 hour standby line.

I certainly have at least the same -- if not more of a -- fighting chance to get the ride I want at the time I want if I go the FP+ route as I do if I go the current route, don't I? I don't see how it's such a huge difference. Either way, I'm hoping I can get the FP at a time I want it, while at the same time knowing that there's not a limitless supply.

But your example assumes that the individual will only be happy with an 11am FP time. In reality, it's not just getting a preferred time that people are worried about, but the prospect of not being able to get ANY time and THAT'S why we'll be stuck in the long standby line.

Also, I'm only talking about wanting to ride once, not 15 times.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BayouMickey View Post
you forgot pollyannish
If the glass slipper fits...
Closed Thread

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: