Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-21-2013, 12:13 PM   #16
patzor
Mouseketeer

I thought about getting these for our upcoming trip. But I think I'm going to pass. They are cool in theory, but not so much in use. Like others have said, you can't see them on your head. I also think they'd be distracting during the fireworks show, as it's supposed to be dark.
patzor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 12:23 PM   #17
delmar411
DIS Veteran

We saw them in action on Friday at F! And my kids haven't stopped asking for them. We will also be changing the location of our viewing area to the back as to be able to enjoy the ears.
I have to admit the effect was really neat even with the minimal amount of ppl wearing them. Hopefully they will catch on so the effect will be increased.
I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it. ~Voltaire
delmar411 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-21-2013, 01:06 PM   #18
Lorelei528
DIS Veteran

I'm excited to see them and hopefully buy them. Personally, I don't think $25 is that much $. It's like two drinks...

Anyway, we wouldn't buy two for DH and I, we'd buy one and take turns wearing it so we could both get the effect.

I don't think the intention was to have every member of every family wear them...
Although I'm sure Disney would enjoy the cash flow...

May 2014 (BLT), Dec 2013 (BLT/AKL), Sept/Oct '12 (AKV/DCL), Jan '11 (AKL),Sept/Oct '10 (AKL/BLT/DCL/BWV), Sept '09 (BLT), April/May '09 (BW/AKL), Sept/Oct 08 (POP/AKL), Nov 03 (ASMovies/AKL), Nov 01 (CBR), Nov 97 (Disney Village Resort), '87 (off property), '77 (CR)
Lorelei528 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 01:30 PM   #19
ktlm
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Tiggies View Post
My 11 year old daughter thinks they look great but said to me last night she would have preferred if they were made hair-band style rather than hat style. I wonder if the design made them less attractive to some guests, as well as the weight.:
I think that might be part of it, but I think the main thing is the fact that you are spending $25 on something you can't watch yourself because it is on your head. I think everyone wants to watch them on someone else's head, not spend the money to have them on your own head where you can't see them.
ktlm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 01:36 PM   #20
2Tiggies
I am subscribing to this thread just so I can see your shirt
I like those water proof containers that hang around my neck on a lanyard

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktlm View Post
I think that might be part of it, but I think the main thing is the fact that you are spending $25 on something you can't watch yourself because it is on your head. I think everyone wants to watch them on someone else's head, not spend the money to have them on your own head where you can't see them.
I'm laughing because you are just stating the obvious. I'm just worried that if Disney gets wind of this we may have to contend with more expensive ones with over-hanging rear view mirrors dangling over the front
2Tiggies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 01:38 PM   #21
ktlm
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Tiggies View Post
I'm laughing because you are just stating the obvious. I'm just worried that if Disney gets wind of this we may have to contend with more expensive ones with over-hanging rear view mirrors dangling over the front
Now that, I might shell out the money for!
ktlm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 02:16 PM   #22
DaisyD
Nothing like crunchy milk in the morning!
Guess I'll be checking my swords with the luggage
I am a closet Ragamuffin eater!

We saw these in action at Fantasmic last Friday. The idea of them is cute and it is neat to see all the colors light up during the show. There were tons of hats on that night. My only issue is the strobe effect. It is VERY annoying, bright, and distracting. I had a kid sitting right in front of me during the show and when the hat when into strobe I couldn't even see the show and actually saw phantom lights in my eyes for a minute after they went off. LOL That effect was that bad.
I am sure these will go the same way My Pal Mickey, and those "special" pins that used to light up on certain attractions went bye bye after a time. Good riddance! LOL
DaisyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 02:20 PM   #23
shellstar
Mischeif Managed

I got excited when I saw the video for the World of Color at the DLR and wanted a pair after that... but hearing that not that many people own/ are wearing them the excitement is fading fast.

Would much rather just enjoy the show and save the $25.
Old 10-21-2013, 02:39 PM   #24
Lorilais_mommie
" They can drink pepsi, but they can't pee in the street." - WALT DISNEY

I think A LOT of the success at DL was they had a AP event where they handed out FREE GWTS ears..

This insured when those AP holder returned they might bring the ears..
We were in DL sept. 2012 people were buying them left and right!

Two difference tho:
At DL the CM are VERY well informed! And boy do they sell you on them

Also these were everywhere! On carts, in store windows, cast members walking around selling them..

And with all the people wearing them, DD just had to have one!

Lorilais_mommie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 02:44 PM   #25
cvjpirate
Earning My Ears

I think I will get one for myself when I go in June.
cvjpirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 02:52 PM   #26
Tltorrez
DIS Veteran

My DS goes nuts for anything that glows so I'm getting this for Fantasmic on our trip in Nov. He'll likely take them off during the show though to watch them.

Question - do they light up at all outside the shows?
Tltorrez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 02:57 PM   #27
Lorilais_mommie
" They can drink pepsi, but they can't pee in the street." - WALT DISNEY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tltorrez View Post
My DS goes nuts for anything that glows so I'm getting this for Fantasmic on our trip in Nov. He'll likely take them off during the show though to watch them.

Yup! The blink different colors lights..

Lorilais_mommie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 02:58 PM   #28
Dr.Girlfriend
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tltorrez View Post

Yes, they do.
Wine & Dine 1/2 - 2011 ~ WDW Marathon Relay - 2012 ~ Princess 1/2 - 2012 ~ Tower of Terror 10 Miler - 2012 ~ Wine & Dine 1/2 2012 ~ Goofy Challenge - 2013 ~ Tower of Terror 10 Miler – 2013 ~ Mickey's Jingle Jungle 5k - 2013 ~ Wine & Dine 1/2 – 2013 ~ Family Fun Run 5k - 2014 ~ Minnie Mouse - 10k 2014 ~ Donald 1/2 - 2014 ~ Castaway Cay 5k - 2014

UPCOMING:
Royal Family 5k - 2014 ~ Glass Slipper Challenge – 2014 ~ Everest Challenge 5k - 2014 ~ Dumbo Double Dare - 2014
Dr.Girlfriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 03:01 PM   #29
SoccerDogWithEars
DIS Veteran

Both of my parents and myself bought a set for all of us. We also attended the Tuesday night showing of Fantasmic, which was also the premier. Disney gave hats to the dinner package section for free (which caused a LOT of drama), but a majority of the crowd had them as well (I'm assuming they purchased them, but you never know). I admit, it is kind of weird to know they're working but not be able to see them. And I was very grateful that I'd seen the show before, because I spent a good portion of it watching the crowd and the effects instead.

That being said, I do think I'll take them back with me in December for the Osborn lights, which they are supposed to sync with as well. However, I do think I'll most likely hold them so that I'm able to see the lights. If I go to Fantasmic, I'll most likely wear them just because I'll know what they're doing.

SoccerDogWithEars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 03:20 PM   #30
shalom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmyB2006 View Post
I have to say, I haven't seen these hats, but I can see how they would be distracting to other people.
There's no excuse for the rudeness the OP reported, but I would hate having one of those hats around, too. The only thing I think they'd work with for me is the Osbourne lights; everything else I think they'd be an irritating distraction, like trying to watch the fireworks while the water parade is going on (which I have done, and found frustrating).
shalom is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: