Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-20-2013, 06:07 PM   #1
boiledpeanut
Mouseketeer

Tell me your experience with Jedi Training sign-up. Good, bad, specifics.

Going in Feb and would love to sign up my DS on his 6th bday.
boiledpeanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 06:17 PM   #2
Carolinagirl77
Mouseketeer

Get to the Studios before they open. Maybe even 30 minutes because sometimes they let you in earlier. Go straight to the sign ups with child. We went in Jan over MLK weekend, May, November and never had a problem. Just send someone for those TSM fp.
Carolinagirl77 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-20-2013, 06:22 PM   #3
Itinkso
Faith.Trust.Pixie Dust

Have your son watch YouTube videos of JTA to make sure it is something he wants to do. You may want to have him notice that Vader is there for the training and nothing more - he isn't mean. The JTA experience can be frightening for some kids especially if they don't realize how tall, imposing, and scary Vader can be.
WDW 6/14 - Off-site; 2/14 - AoA; 12/13 - Off-site; 1/13 - AKL; 10/12 - Pop; 4/12 - Off-site; 11/10 - BWI CL; 8/10 - POR; 7/09 - POFQ; 4/04 - ASMo; 2/97 - CBR ~ DLP 7/2012 ~ DLR - Mother Ship ~ August 6, 2005 - Magical Cruise of the Mexican Riviera ~ Sept. 29, 2012 Fantasy Western Caribbean
Itinkso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 06:29 PM   #4
Zooshoveller
WAR EAGLE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolinagirl77 View Post
Get to the Studios before they open. Maybe even 30 minutes because sometimes they let you in earlier. Go straight to the sign ups with child. We went in Jan over MLK weekend, May, November and never had a problem. Just send someone for those TSM fp.
^ This. Exactly.

The first time we went, HS opened 15 mins early. We arrived ~45 mins early, were second to sign up and in the first show. DH took DS to sign up and I got TSM FPs. DS still says it was his best birthday!

Zooshoveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 08:08 PM   #5
seasidespences
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zooshoveller View Post

^ This. Exactly.

The first time we went, HS opened 15 mins early. We arrived ~45 mins early, were second to sign up and in the first show. DH took DS to sign up and I got TSM FPs. DS still says it was his best birthday!
I agree with these guys. Def. get to the gates earlier than you might think you need to. HS was supposed to open at 9am and they actually started letting us through the gates at 8:40a. Literally people were running by us (despite being told not to) so we sped up a little too! This was our first time so we weren't sure what to expect. However, we ended up being like 8th in line and in the first show so it worked out but when we came out of the building from signing up, the line was massive!
Also, I agree...send someone else in your party to grab the TSM FPs while you do the JTA sign-ups!
seasidespences is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 08:26 PM   #6
Ms.Grumpy
Sweet Home CHICAGO!

I want to surprise my DS10 with this on our upcoming Nov. trip. DHS has EMH hours so we plan on getting there around 7:15 am. Hope we are able to secure him a spot.
Old 10-20-2013, 08:30 PM   #7
Itinkso
Faith.Trust.Pixie Dust

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms.Grumpy View Post
I want to surprise my DS10 with this on our upcoming Nov. trip. DHS has EMH hours so we plan on getting there around 7:15 am. Hope we are able to secure him a spot.
On a morning EMH, DHS opens at the regular EMH opening time of 8:00 a.m. You will be spending a lot of time waiting in line at the sign-up location.
WDW 6/14 - Off-site; 2/14 - AoA; 12/13 - Off-site; 1/13 - AKL; 10/12 - Pop; 4/12 - Off-site; 11/10 - BWI CL; 8/10 - POR; 7/09 - POFQ; 4/04 - ASMo; 2/97 - CBR ~ DLP 7/2012 ~ DLR - Mother Ship ~ August 6, 2005 - Magical Cruise of the Mexican Riviera ~ Sept. 29, 2012 Fantasy Western Caribbean
Old 10-20-2013, 11:07 PM   #8
sidewalks
Earning My Ears

There will be shows until 8pm or so. You don't have to run and get there wicked early, unless you're going during president's week or you specifically want to have him in an early show. (I saw kids signing up at noon for the 8 pm show. Okay, I admit, we were there the slowest week of the year, but still, I think you'll be fine if you get there by 9 am....I admit there would be a line, though. The horror!)

You do not go to the stage to sign up, you go to the american idol (far left) to sign up. You also go back there to prep for the academy as well.

They will ask you to get there 30 minutes early.They will ask if anyone needs to use the restroom. They will have a quiz game about the movies (the name of anakin's mom is the hardest question, some, like the color of so and so's light saber, are easy).

They will line them up from smallest to largest, they will hand out robes, they will walk to the stage. They will be sorted youngest out in front, the largest in back. Parents will be directed to the front of the stage. There will be a gold line you have to stay behind. Also, you can't stand too far back, because snack carts need a path behind you. The Jedi master will have his assistant hand out the light sabers. He will instruct them how to use them. It's very cute.

Watch the video and you'll see that they practice first on stage, then run back to the side when Darth Vadar comes out, then each get a chance to fight him. If you practice the moves with your son on the video, the pictures the photopass people take will look really good and people will be impressed with your son's agility. I was a bit smug.

They will get a certificate at the end as a padawan. They will warn you as you get a photopass card that all the pictures are on it. They will suggest you purge the card of the other kids before you leave. I don't remember where you do it. I forgot to purge. It wasn't that big a deal to find my son's photos.

If your son gets an anakin or luke outfit for Christmas, he should wear it, the jedi in charge of training will comment on it, and the pictures will look great.

Mom, Dad, two boys 6 and 9

Last edited by sidewalks; 10-20-2013 at 11:15 PM.
sidewalks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 11:34 PM   #9
t_catt11
Pin Trading Addict

We did this in October 2011, and it was probably the highlight of our trip.

Go directly to Jedi Training signup at rope drop (the child must be present). Consider sending one member of your party with all of your tickets as a fastpass runner for Toy Story while another adult takes the child to the Sounds Dangerous building (this is where Jedi Training signup occurs).

We had a little trouble parking our stroller (boys at that time were ages 4 and 2). We went here directly at rope drop, and my son got into a show around 1:30 PM. If this is a priority for your vacation, DO NOT WAIT. DO NOT GO ANYWHERE ELSE FIRST.

They often (but not always), ask the child a few questions. These are:

1. What is your name?
2. How old are you?
3. Are you afraid of the Dark Side?

The idea being that a child who can't answer these questions won't do well on stage.
Old 10-20-2013, 11:36 PM   #10
promisesfound
Earning My Ears

We just got back from Disneyland and I like the way they do it much better, they just pick kids out off the crowd and they had Darth Maul as well as Vader so it seemed twice as many kids got to participate. My son was chosen and got to fight Vader. Being a total Star Wars geek my entire life, I couldn't have been more proud-LOL!!
Old 10-21-2013, 12:07 AM   #11
Spanky
DIS Veteran

That is how they use to do it at WDW. However, how would you have felt if your child was not chosen? Seems there were several children that watched lots of shows but were never picked and went home very disappointed. This new system allows the families to participate if that is what the child really wants - it does mean getting up early but it is better than watching a bunch of shows and never being picked.
The random picking is still practiced in the MK for the pirate tutorial.
Spanky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 12:11 AM   #12
mssong85
Mouseketeer

What if your child is a Sith? I am being serious. My daughter has been Darth Maul for every con she has been to. She has been Darth Maul a lot.
Old 10-21-2013, 12:20 AM   #13
Itinkso
Faith.Trust.Pixie Dust

Quote:
Originally Posted by mssong85 View Post
What if your child is a Sith? I am being serious. My daughter has been Darth Maul for every con she has been to. She has been Darth Maul a lot.
Then she wouldn't want to train to be a Jedi. The focus of this Lucasfilms production is training to be a Jedi. Darth Maul is often at JTA, but, all the Younglings fight Vader or Maul.

My DD is a Padawan in the show and when kids don't want to be there, it is very obvious. If your DD has no desire to become a Padawan, then she wouldn't care to listen to the Jedi Master or follow the directions of the Padawan.

Your DD would probably enjoy Star Wars Weekend where she can hobnob with the Dark Side and visit Vader and Storm Troopers at a M&G.
Old 10-21-2013, 05:50 AM   #14
averill94
DIS Veteran

Perfect timing on this thread! My Sis in law went yesterday with my nephew immediately at rope drop and were not chosen. ( I was so proud of them that they got there early and went straight there.)

Thank you for stating that the child should be with the adult at sign up!

They will try again on Wednesday!
Old 10-21-2013, 06:49 AM   #15
Gracie09
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mssong85 View Post
Check out YouTube. There is a video of a kid going to the darkside
Gracie09 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: