Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-21-2013, 01:16 PM   #46
Itinkso
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by surferdave View Post
Meet Disney's new MDE spokesperson.
For such a cute and loving character, she had the nastiest Glitch. Very fitting!
WDW 2/14 - AoA; 12/13 - off-site; 1/13 - AKL; 10/12 - Pop; 4/12 - Off-site; 11/10 - BWI CL; 8/10 - POR; 7/09 - POFQ; 4/04 - ASMo; 2/97 - CBR ~ DLP 7/2012 ~ DLR - Mother Ship ~ August 6, 2005 - Magical Cruise of the Mexican Riviera ~ Sept. 29, 2012 Fantasy Western Caribbean

Last edited by Itinkso; 10-21-2013 at 01:18 PM. Reason: iPad wouldn't copy the pic; must be the Glitch!
Itinkso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 01:20 PM   #47
wdwlovin'family
Mouseketeer

Just out of curiosity, I just checked the MDE app for wait times and Epcot really didn't look all that bad. MK, on the other hand looked crazy. Us the app not that accurate?
Register to remove

Old 10-21-2013, 01:24 PM   #48
FLchick415
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdwlovin'family View Post
Just out of curiosity, I just checked the MDE app for wait times and Epcot really didn't look all that bad. MK, on the other hand looked crazy. Us the app not that accurate?
Depends on which app you're using. LOL MDE has Soarin' at 80min, while UT has it at 120+ and WDW Waits has it at only 75.

~*All Star Movies*~*Port Orleans French Quarter*~*Wilderness Lodge*~*Pop Century(x3)*~*Countless other times off site*~
FLchick415 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 01:29 PM   #49
lindsroc
DIS Veteran

I was just going to say, the wait times on the MDE app dont look that bad?? Is the app completely inaccurate or are people getting irrationally worked up over wait times/ FP+?

We leave Friday, we have 2 groups going- only one can do FP+ because the others are picking up military salute tickets when they arrive. We booked FP+ for those who are eligible and will try to just go with the flow. We havent been in Oct in years, we usually go in April and crowds arent bad at all- hoping it slows down a bit in the next few days.

1st Disney trip Oct 29 2007 - Saratoga Springs ... Trip #2, April/May 2009 - Coronado Springs Resort
Trip #3, May 2010 - Offsite ... Trip #4, May 2011 -Polynesian
Trip #5, October 2013 - Boardwalk Inn
lindsroc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 01:51 PM   #50
stinkpickle
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLchick415 View Post
Depends on which app you're using. LOL MDE has Soarin' at 80min, while UT has it at 120+ and WDW Waits has it at only 75.
Yeah, I noticed that undercover tourist on facebook has Soarin' at 120+, Toy Story Mania at 120+, DINOSAUR at 45, Jungle Cruise at 60, and Haunted Mansion at 50. Yuck.
stinkpickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 01:54 PM   #51
FLchick415
DIS Veteran

Is it still fall break for a lot of schools? Could that be what's causing the crowds? I don't think anywhere in South Florida has moved to this year round school or balanced schedule or whatever it is, so I know nothing about it.

~*All Star Movies*~*Port Orleans French Quarter*~*Wilderness Lodge*~*Pop Century(x3)*~*Countless other times off site*~
FLchick415 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 02:10 PM   #52
kmb584
DIS Veteran

Well...

It appears that all of the hope I was holding onto for crowds to lessen for our trip this week just flew right out the window. It's going to be quite an adjustment for us beginning tomorrow!

Me (29) DD (5)
"It's kind of fun to do the impossible." - Walt Disney
kmb584 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 02:22 PM   #53
lindsroc
DIS Veteran

Which app is accurate?

1st Disney trip Oct 29 2007 - Saratoga Springs ... Trip #2, April/May 2009 - Coronado Springs Resort
Trip #3, May 2010 - Offsite ... Trip #4, May 2011 -Polynesian
Trip #5, October 2013 - Boardwalk Inn
lindsroc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 02:23 PM   #54
GrimGrinningGhost25
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmb584 View Post
Well... It appears that all of the hope I was holding onto for crowds to lessen for our trip this week just flew right out the window. It's going to be quite an adjustment for us beginning tomorrow!
We were down in January for our wedding. I was convinced it was going to be the lowest crowds if ever seen. No way!! September/October and February (before school break) have been the lowest crowds I've experienced but I think that's changing too.

Is there a low crowd season anymore?

"My dearest friend, if you don't mind, I'd like to join you by your side. Where we can gaze into the stars and sit together, now and forever. For it is plain as anyone can see we're simply meant to be" - Jack & Sally

April '90 (offsite), Oct 2006 (AS Sport), Dec 2009 (POR), Sept 2010 (PC), May 2011 (BLT), Feb 2012 (BW), June 2012 (SSR), Jan 2013 - Our Wedding~Simply meant to be~(BWV), Nov 2013 (BC)
GrimGrinningGhost25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 02:30 PM   #55
SSR
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrimGrinningGhost25 View Post
We were down in January for our wedding. I was convinced it was going to be the lowest crowds if ever seen. No way!! September/October and February (before school break) have been the lowest crowds I've experienced but I think that's changing too.

Is there a low crowd season anymore?
YES.

September 18th.

SSR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 02:43 PM   #56
livingthedream
Mouseketeer

More FastPass+ Use = Longer Lines

I feel everybody's pain. I'm sorry that there are such long waits.

However, I'm not sure if the right questions is - Is It more crowded? I don't know if this will get you to the answer of why there are currently longer fastpass+/standby waits than anticipated this time of year.

Yes, more school systems are out on holidays right now because of the "balanced school year". There are more people there right now than is typical, I'm sure.

What people are talking a lot about on these boards, though, is discovering that fastpasses are gone earlier. And one assumption is that the reason is because more fastpasses+ are pre-booked, leaving few legacy fastpasses available. So my question is - how many people are actually using FastPass+ compared to the number of people who used the legacy fastpass system?

Disney has created the extreme line-up situation - i.e. they've done this to themselves through an excellent education program to encourage full participation in the new FastPass+ program. Most people today, whether first time visitors, or veterans, are all signing up to use the FastPass+ system. Compare this to whatever the percentage was of people who never used, or understood, or even KNEW about the legacy fastpass system, and I think this will offer a clue as to why the fastpass+ lines are longer.

That is probably the biggest "oops" in the rollout....I am wondering if Disney didn't anticipate the high number of users???? Let me put that another way. Yes, they know how many people are registered in the resorts, so know approximately how many people will be using the new FastPass+ system. Perhaps what has happened is they over-estimated how many people used the legacy system.....my suspicion is that is the part they got wrong!

And yes, it sounds like they are playing with the actual number of fastpasses that are available per day at an attraction. They increased those numbers, and now it sounds like they are cutting back again - all in an effort to get the right balance. That said, they must remember that they haven't added people who are staying off-site yet, and the other large item that will impact long lines - increased crowds!

This is indeed a huge paradigm shift from the way things have been done in the past. Its not just one thing changing - giving people a chance to adapt because most other things stayed equal. This new system is a huge game changer, and I think even Disney hasn't yet anticipated all the secondary and tertiary consequences.

I for one am still predicting the demise of the rope drop advantage. I'm sure there will be many other previous advantages that will no longer apply. We just have to get busy figuring out what the new ones are!
livingthedream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 02:53 PM   #57
soar2014
Looking at sanity in the rear view mirror

I know my opinion in the grand scheme of things mean very little, but I think WDW should keep FP+ to their resort guests only. It just makes sense to me.
You can't give a FP to EVERYONE, then the FP return line would be longer than the SB line.
Old 10-21-2013, 02:58 PM   #58
Michelina
Disney Crazy!!!!
Once you've got that sucker open, you're pretty well commited!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayemgi View Post
Given that this appears to be "the new normal" I'm wondering if we should change our FP+ selections... I had originally booked Soarin' because it's so popular and we don't love it enough to wait in a long line for it. But if we miss out on Soarin', we wouldn't be all that upset. We didn't book The Seas because it's usually such a short wait. We'd be very upset if we missed this ride due to a crazy long line. If it's got such a long wait now, I'm wondering if we should switch our FP+ to be for Nemo instead of Soarin'... this is crazy!
No! I definitely wouldn't do that! Even with the Seas line out as far as it was it was maybe 15-20 minutes... Being a continuos loader it goes fairly quickly. We waited about the same for Spaceship Earth and the line for it looked...daunting.

We're back at our (offsite, haha) resort now resting and will probably get back in time to use our 6:45 fastpasses! It's so hot today, the kids were wiped by 1:30.

1991-High School Magic Music Days, 2001-Honeymoon-Grand Shores West, North Redington Beach, 2002-Off Site,
2003-Vacation Village Resort, Clermont, 2004-January-Pop Century, May-Royal Pacific Resort, 2005-January-POFQ and WL, November-Pop Century, 2006-Sept/October-5th Anniversary trip to the Boardwalk Inn!, 2007-May-Hard Rock Hotel, 1st trip with Baby! Pop Century Feb 2008, March 2010 Vistana Resort, November 2012 Disney Grand Californian, October 2013 Vistana Resort
Michelina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 03:05 PM   #59
Michelina
Disney Crazy!!!!
Once you've got that sucker open, you're pretty well commited!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrimGrinningGhost25 View Post
I love Epcot because visiting all the countries fascinates me. I also feel that it has the most to offer outside of the rides. Plus F&W is going on. Have you been yet? Do you have a favorite dish? I get on the red eye from Seattle in 11 days!!!
No, today was our Future World day :D . Our DS is almost 6 and he was DYING to ride TT. So I'm super happy that he could first thing this morning. Plus we got a baby swap pass because DD 2 is too little to go AND we have FP for this evening so he's going to get his fill
DD was thrilled to ride Living With the Land 3 times, lol!

Thursday is our World a Showcase day. DH and I are so looking forward to that. I've been looking at all the menus obsessively on AllEars. There's so much I want to try!

1991-High School Magic Music Days, 2001-Honeymoon-Grand Shores West, North Redington Beach, 2002-Off Site,
2003-Vacation Village Resort, Clermont, 2004-January-Pop Century, May-Royal Pacific Resort, 2005-January-POFQ and WL, November-Pop Century, 2006-Sept/October-5th Anniversary trip to the Boardwalk Inn!, 2007-May-Hard Rock Hotel, 1st trip with Baby! Pop Century Feb 2008, March 2010 Vistana Resort, November 2012 Disney Grand Californian, October 2013 Vistana Resort
Michelina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 03:26 PM   #60
kayemgi
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michelina View Post
No! I definitely wouldn't do that! Even with the Seas line out as far as it was it was maybe 15-20 minutes... Being a continuos loader it goes fairly quickly. We waited about the same for Spaceship Earth and the line for it looked...daunting.

We're back at our (offsite, haha) resort now resting and will probably get back in time to use our 6:45 fastpasses! It's so hot today, the kids were wiped by 1:30.
Good to know! I know a line that looks as long as you described would normally scare us away, but that's good to know that it didn't take as long as it looked to get through. Thanks!
kayemgi is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: