Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-21-2013, 08:14 AM   #1
jbeyes
Earning My Ears

1 Trip, 2 Resorts?

Hi- I am just getting started on planning our family's 1st Disney World trip for May, 2015 for a week and we will have our car with us. We are a family of 4 and the kids will be 5 & 6 at the time of travel. Does anyone have any advice, pointers, or recommendations on staying at 2 resorts in 1 trip?

I'm thinking to stay the first few days at a resort like All-Star Movies to visit AK & HS and then moving to a resort like the Polynesian for the last couple of days for MK & Epcot. Would this be worth it or should we just stay at 1 place (maybe a moderate or one of the less expensive deluxes??) the whole time?

Thanks in advance!
jbeyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 08:53 AM   #2
ArwenMarie
DIS Veteran

I think it can be worth it, as long as you are going for long enough...a week should be just long enough. Not sure I would do it for any shorter than that, especially with kids.

Having a car helps! You just pack up the car early on moving day, head over to your next resort...go to a park and then come back and check in later.

We just did a split stay between BC and the CR in August...it was great. It felt like two vacations and made seeing the parks easier for sure.

Anyway, if it's worth it is up to you! People do them for lots of reasons. I think an AOA/Poly split would be fun and totally worth it.
ArwenMarie is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-21-2013, 09:04 AM   #3
Marionnette
Wishing On A Star
I stop in the middle and make others step over me while pretending not to understand English

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbeyes View Post
Hi- I am just getting started on planning our family's 1st Disney World trip for May, 2015 for a week and we will have our car with us. We are a family of 4 and the kids will be 5 & 6 at the time of travel. Does anyone have any advice, pointers, or recommendations on staying at 2 resorts in 1 trip? I'm thinking to stay the first few days at a resort like All-Star Movies to visit AK & HS and then moving to a resort like the Polynesian for the last couple of days for MK & Epcot. Would this be worth it or should we just stay at 1 place (maybe a moderate or one of the less expensive deluxes??) the whole time? Thanks in advance!
Personally, I wouldn't spend a couple days here and then a couple of days there. Too little time at each resort to get a feel for either one of them. However, I can understand the lure of staying Value so that you can splurge on Deluxe for a couple days.

If you're going to do a split stay, pack separate bags for each resort. That way, you aren't unpacking and re-packing your stuff after only a couple days. Let Disney move your bags unless you want them sitting in the trunk of your car in the hot Florida sun all day. Give your bags to bell services for transfer and head out to your park of choice for the day. When you've had enough fun, head over to your second resort and check in. Retrieve your bags from their bell services or ask to have them brought up to your room. They will not deliver your bags to your room unless someone is there to accept them.

The worst part about split stays is being "homeless" for the few hours between checkout from the first resort and when your room is ready at the second one. But if you make plans to be in the parks on your transfer day, it's not so bad. What you don't want to have to do is check out of resort A at 11:00 AM, travel to resort B to check in, check your bags with bell services because your room isn't ready and finally get to one of the parks around 1:00 or so. The only time it should be necessary to do that would be if you have a dining plan attached to your second stay and you want to check in so that you can begin to use those credits right away.

Marionnette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 09:06 AM   #4
Princess Disney Mom
DIS Veteran

Consider how you pack. I've done split stays before and had to be very organized and packing light helps. Usually I will stay at the first place 1-3 nights and live out of the suitcase. The second place we stay longer.

My last trip to the GF I did not have a split stay and was thinking how happy I was not having to pack my family up and move. Maybe I'm getting too old for split stays.

They can be done with planning.

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards
2006 - CR X 2/ DoubleTree WDW/ POFQ/ Music Resort
2007 - POP X 3/ Double Tree WDW
2008 - Disneyland/ BoardWalk / Off Site WDW
2009 - Offsite/Doubletree at WDW/CR/Boardwalk
2010 - Disneyland/ Doubletree WDW/HBC/ Music Resort
2011 - Hilton Bonnet Creek/ Port Orleans Riverside
2012 - Hilton Bonnet Creek
2013- Disneyland / Grand Floridian
2014 - Offsite/ Grand Floridian
Princess Disney Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 09:59 AM   #5
jbeyes
Earning My Ears

Thanks!

Thanks for the feedback, I think we might give it a try! The only thing that might change things is the discounts available for when we book. If we can get Wilderness Lodge for 35% off for the whole week or something we may go that route.
jbeyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 01:04 PM   #6
TeamMMom
Earning My Ears

In the same boat!

We're considering something very similar for April 2015. DH likes the idea of split stay since we're light packers and are used to short trips anyway. He'd like to stay moderate and splurge at the end, such as a POR Poly split. I'm wondering if it'll be worth it. It would only be possible with a room only discount. Good luck!
Old 11-19-2013, 06:35 PM   #7
amym2
DIS Veteran

We have done split stays, but I wouldn't do it for a first trip or with young kids (ours were 10 and 8 but were Disney pros). I would think that just once you've gotten your bearings at the first resort, it would be time to move. Chances are you will spend most of your time in the parks anyway. I'd say save the split stay for a future trip.

If you do decide on a split stay, make sure you familiarize yourself with the crowd calendars (such as on easywdw.com) and plan where to stay accordingly. It will be too far out right now to really know, but you could use May 2014 to get an idea.

Last edited by amym2; 11-19-2013 at 06:43 PM.
amym2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 06:55 PM   #8
Meghatron
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by amym2 View Post
We have done split stays, but I wouldn't do it for a first trip or with young kids (ours were 10 and 8 but were Disney pros). I would think that just once you've gotten your bearings at the first resort, it would be time to move. Chances are you will spend most of your time in the parks anyway. I'd say save the split stay for a future trip. If you do decide on a split stay, make sure you familiarize yourself with the crowd calendars (such as on easywdw.com) and plan where to stay accordingly. It will be too far out right now to really know, but you could use May 2014 to get an idea.
I see it the other way; I want to do a split stay specifically for my family's first visit because I want to do Value/offsite for the first four days of GO GO GO in all the parks from rope drop to closing to see and do as much as possible and get our bearings, and then switch to a Deluxe for a more relaxed experience of WDW as a resort-parks combo. This would also be a long trip, though; probably 5 nights Value/offsite and 4 night Deluxe. Living in LA, if we are spending the money/miles on those flights I am damn well going to make the most of it, ha! We are planning to upgrade to Premier Passports the year we go which will be cheaper than one-park tickets, much less hopper/water park tickets, so that will ease my stress about daily ticket prices during the Deluxe days.

Sent from my Tricorder using DISBoards

Meghatron is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: