Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-20-2014, 09:38 AM   #481
Brandee23
Mouseketeer

Thanks for reply. We stayed at Polynesian club level last year, they were excellent with my daughter's food allergy. We loved Captain Cooks too! We planned to stay at Polynesian club level in July, but decided last week to switch resorts to the Beach Club. I'm not sure if I should have switched, because I LOVE the Polynesian so much.. We switched early because if we weren't going to stay at the Polynesian we wanted to stay in a one bedroom villa at the bc and we know they fill up quickly.

I spoke to a lady at the Polynesian who said there will be ALOT of construction going on at the time of our trip. She thought the volcano pool will close in August and said most of the construction will be in the main building and front desk area. She said it will be noisy till 5:00, which is when the construction workers get off work. She recommended switching resorts due to the major construction and noise. She sounded credible but you never know. I trust Tiki man's sources and am so thankful Tikiman keeps us updated!
Old 01-20-2014, 09:39 AM   #482
maddiebee
DIS Veteran

Is there any kind of calendar of what is going to start where at the Poly? I'm subscribed to the Poly construction thread but I would love to have all the dates, places and length of time of whats expected to happen. We are booked for August and at that point it should just be the pool that's being worked on, correct?
maddiebee is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-20-2014, 01:07 PM   #483
maiapapaya
Totally DIS-tracted!

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddiebee View Post
Is there any kind of calendar of what is going to start where at the Poly? I'm subscribed to the Poly construction thread but I would love to have all the dates, places and length of time of whats expected to happen. We are booked for August and at that point it should just be the pool that's being worked on, correct?
Unfortunately, there is no calendar. Disney hasn't released anything official other than the DVC construction, which is pretty obvious because it is already going on. Everything else seems to be totally in flux with no one from WDW confirming any other work or dates.

By August, based on the fact that the gallery in th GCH has closed and various bits of info about the work to come there is a good chance that there will be *something* renovation-wise going on in there.

me DH DD22 DD11 DD9 Finnegan
1971 offsite ~ 1988 CBR ~ 2009 Poly ~ 2010 Poly ~ 2011 Poly CL ~ 2012 Poly CL ~ 2013 Poly ~ 2014 Fantasy Western Caribbean ~ 2014 GF ~ 2015 Magic Mediterranean
maiapapaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 03:29 PM   #484
ElenaJane
DIS Veteran

FYI, Tikiman Facebook notes the pool closure has been pushed back to August (from May 2014)! Just FYI if someone has not posted this yet! Thanks Tikiman for the update! May did seem like an odd time to close the pool, since you know, that is when people start swimming! Maybe Disney wised up!
Old 01-20-2014, 03:42 PM   #485
foiled
Earning My Ears

We're during to check in to the Poly at the end of February

It's a standard view room, with all the longhouse closures, could you recommend which longhouse is best to request with the online check in?

Thanks
foiled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 04:35 PM   #486
maiapapaya
Totally DIS-tracted!

Quote:
Originally Posted by foiled View Post
We're during to check in to the Poly at the end of February

It's a standard view room, with all the longhouse closures, could you recommend which longhouse is best to request with the online check in?

Thanks
Samoa, volcano pool side, or Figi, marina side are great choices - not near the construction, they are close to the GCH and the views are great. Mind you, to make a request that specifies a particular side of a building you will have to call the main booking number (CRO) to have the request noted on your reservation since there is no where on the online check-in to be that specific.

me DH DD22 DD11 DD9 Finnegan
1971 offsite ~ 1988 CBR ~ 2009 Poly ~ 2010 Poly ~ 2011 Poly CL ~ 2012 Poly CL ~ 2013 Poly ~ 2014 Fantasy Western Caribbean ~ 2014 GF ~ 2015 Magic Mediterranean
maiapapaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 05:15 PM   #487
margaret07013
Mouseketeer

I am staying at Poly in May - I couldn't be happier person today.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElenaJane View Post
FYI, Tikiman Facebook notes the pool closure has been pushed back to August (from May 2014)! Just FYI if someone has not posted this yet! Thanks Tikiman for the update! May did seem like an odd time to close the pool, since you know, that is when people start swimming! Maybe Disney wised up!
margaret07013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 05:44 PM   #488
ElenaJane
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by margaret07013 View Post
I am staying at Poly in May - I couldn't be happier person today.
I'm staying in May also! I booked, thinking the pool would be closed, knowing I would have a great time regardless. This is just such a nice surprise!
Old 01-20-2014, 07:22 PM   #489
Debbie6221
I do believe hangers are against me!

Staying at Poly Club level in June! So happy pools will be pushed off...praying that doesn't change! Closing pool for summer seems an odd choice...why not when temperatures cool down in Florida!? Is the building club level is located in the ones that were just refurbed?

Our trips since 2002……
I had DD in November2002 ......Let the FUN begin! OCTOBER2003 GF DD's 1st trip OCTOBER2004 GF MAY2005 POP & POLYOCTOBER2006 GF DS's 1st Trip & 1st Birthday JUNE2007 AKL My 40thBirthday NOVEMBER2007 GF DDs 5th Birthday SEPTEMBER2008 ASM GF Free Dining JUNE2009PolyOCTOBER2009GFClubLevel-2 nightsOctober2010PolyClubLevelAugust2011PolyClubLevel2nights
Debbie6221 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 08:32 PM   #490
MidwestMulan
Earning My Ears

So, conceivably by mid-August they could have pools, quick service eating, monorail access and other things all under construction at once? Would they try to ensure that not too many amenities were closed all at once? I am also looking at BC, but my heart really wants Poly.

MidwestMulan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 06:17 AM   #491
Brandee23
Mouseketeer

For those staying at the Polynesian, is there still a nice beach area to sit and view the fireworks from?
Old 01-21-2014, 07:47 AM   #492
maddiebee
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidwestMulan View Post
So, conceivably by mid-August they could have pools, quick service eating, monorail access and other things all under construction at once? Would they try to ensure that not too many amenities were closed all at once? I am also looking at BC, but my heart really wants Poly.
I believe the monorail is supposed to be done by march? I've made my peace with the pool being worked on, but now that they moved it back to August, I'm wondering if we can get them to juuuust push it back a little more to sept since that's when all the kids who want to swim will be back in achool anyways, right?
maddiebee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 08:11 AM   #493
Masonmj84
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElenaJane View Post
I'm staying in May also! I booked, thinking the pool would be closed, knowing I would have a great time regardless. This is just such a nice surprise!
We are going in late April/early May and feel the same way (am feeling much better about switching from CR to Poly after the room discounts came out).

Now if they can just leave the GCH alone and finish up the Mine Train ride, I'll really feel like we got hit by the lucky stick (Dear Disney: if you have construction plans for the GCH over the next few months, would you mind ressigning those workers to the Mine Train? - I'm sure the contractor wouldn't mind the extra help.)
Old 01-21-2014, 08:20 AM   #494
rmgreenesq
Toadi Acceleratio Semper Absurda

I stayed at the poly for marathon weekend. I normally stay at the beach club because of its proximity to the start and finish line in Epcot's parking lot. I moved to the Poly to take advantage of the 35% room discount.

Many runners complain about the buses that Disney uses to take the runners to and from the race. By staying at the Beach club, I only need to take the bus to the start. I can walk back to my room through Epcot. The monorail was running on Marathon Sunday. By staying at the poly, I walked to the TTC, and caught the monorail to and from the race. No busses at all. I'll be doing this again even without the discount!
rmgreenesq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 10:13 AM   #495
ElenaJane
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masonmj84 View Post
We are going in late April/early May and feel the same way (am feeling much better about switching from CR to Poly after the room discounts came out).

Now if they can just leave the GCH alone and finish up the Mine Train ride, I'll really feel like we got hit by the lucky stick (Dear Disney: if you have construction plans for the GCH over the next few months, would you mind ressigning those workers to the Mine Train? - I'm sure the contractor wouldn't mind the extra help.)
I know! I am worried the Mine Train will open Memorial Day weekend, which is the weekend right before we leave. Grand scheme of things, not the end of the world, but would be pretty disappointing! I'd take some GCH dust over Mine train not being finished (if Disney put me in charge of construction schedules...which they should )

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: