Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-16-2014, 12:47 PM   #451
Bonacker
Mouseketeer

Tikiman: THANK YOU so much for not keeping your information to yourself! You're the best.
Bonacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 12:49 PM   #452
pas130
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tikiman View Post
I assume you are saying my sources at Disney are not credible.

They were correct when years ago they said construction would start on DVC in September 2013 or that the GCH and the Neverland Club would be redesigned (which there are permits now out to prove). They were correct when they said Tahiti and Rapa Nui would not get the new room design even when the official schedule said they would be done in 2013.

If you think it is just spreading rumor and speculation I am happy to keep it to myself. I don't want to cause any anger or frustration. I just want people to be prepared for what those who are involved in the project are saying.
I can only speak for myself, but THANK YOU for all you do. I was (yes was) booked at Poly GV CL for August, I even got an upgrade to LV CL. I did touch base with the IPO who had a lovely CM from the Poly call me(referred to her as construction manager). I think her role is more of room assignor, and keeping tabs on the rooms/parts of the resort which are affected. She was extremely forthcoming regarding the pool closure and how the entire resort was being affected. Overall, we decided not to chance it and move to Beach Club. So, I for one have spoken with a direct source at the Poly, and as a DISer I have found your sources to be accurate.
Sorry to pop-in on the thread, but I had to comment
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-16-2014, 01:01 PM   #453
polyfor4
Mouseketeer

Preach it Tikiman! Your information has always proven to be true and the changes that we are now seeing come to life- you very accurately informed us about a long time ago! Thank you!! I do have a funny confession though- this May when part of the beach was blocked off we all thought it was just beach/ sand movement. We were staying in CL at the time and after my dad talked to the CL staff and construction workers, he confirmed that it was actually the fire pit being put in. He never let's us forget that for one day he was the tiki expert! I think we all wish we were the "Tikiman"!

May 2014 BWI/ Poly CL
May 2013 AoA/ Poly CL Nov 2013 Pop
Sept 2012 AoA May 2012 Pop/ Poly Feb 2012 POR
May 2011 Pop/ Poly April 2011 CSR
Dec 2010 POR May 2010 POR
Dec 2009 CBR May 2009 Poly March 2009 POR

polyfor4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 01:20 PM   #454
Tikiman
He kuikawa ka 'ikena o kela wahi ho'oku ka'a e waiho kala'e ihola ma 'o!

Quote:
Originally Posted by polyfor4 View Post
Preach it Tikiman! Your information has always proven to be true and the changes that we are now seeing come to life- you very accurately informed us about a long time ago! Thank you!! I do have a funny confession though- this May when part of the beach was blocked off we all thought it was just beach/ sand movement. We were staying in CL at the time and after my dad talked to the CL staff and construction workers, he confirmed that it was actually the fire pit being put in. He never let's us forget that for one day he was the tiki expert! I think we all wish we were the "Tikiman"!
I remember that time. I had Polynesian staff emailing me asking what was happening on the beach. Some speculated it was replacement of the sand (which happens from time to time). It is difficult keeping up with all the changes over the last few years. Things change that were in the official plans (behind the scenes) and once they do people just assume it was bad info. I reported years ago the hot tub was going in and it was scheduled 4 different times to start work but was pushed off for one reason or another. It was not bad info, it just changed. Even the GCH work has been planned for 4 or 5 years now and now it is finally going to happen. The pool was going to start this month and was pushed off to May and maybe gets pushed off again. All I can do is use sources I trust and share what I can. I donít make this stuff up and I donít go off rumors from people at Disney that are not in the loop.

If your dad wants the job I may give it to him
Old 01-16-2014, 02:23 PM   #455
camtheriot
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tikiman View Post
I remember that time. I had Polynesian staff emailing me asking what was happening on the beach. Some speculated it was replacement of the sand (which happens from time to time). It is difficult keeping up with all the changes over the last few years. Things change that were in the official plans (behind the scenes) and once they do people just assume it was bad info. I reported years ago the hot tub was going in and it was scheduled 4 different times to start work but was pushed off for one reason or another. It was not bad info, it just changed. Even the GCH work has been planned for 4 or 5 years now and now it is finally going to happen. The pool was going to start this month and was pushed off to May and maybe gets pushed off again. All I can do is use sources I trust and share what I can. I donít make this stuff up and I donít go off rumors from people at Disney that are not in the loop.

If your dad wants the job I may give it to him
Tikiman, we appreciate you and your wonderful tips and advice! You take time out of your life to help us! We do trust you and your sources ... You have a proven track record... THANK YOU FOR YOUR DEVOTION TO OUR BELOVED POLYNESIAN RESORT!!!
I'm still praying they push the construction back though! Lol

POR March 2013; Disney Fantasy Dec 2012; CBR Dec 2010; Poly May 2010; CBR Sept 2009; Poly May 2009; SSR May 2008
me (the planner), DH ,DS 14 , DD 8 , DS 6 , and DD 2
camtheriot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 03:10 PM   #456
polyfor4
Mouseketeer

I also want to add that we should (myself included) all be so thankful to stay so well informed! The Poly is a very expensive hotel no matter how you cut it and I can't imagine walking into all of the refurbs without knowing in advance. After much discussion we are staying in June but we know how "bad" it could potentially be. To me that's invaluable. Another thank you to Tikiman- your updates are always in our disney planning conversations. My family owes you many lapu lapu's for our Poly music and updates!

May 2014 BWI/ Poly CL
May 2013 AoA/ Poly CL Nov 2013 Pop
Sept 2012 AoA May 2012 Pop/ Poly Feb 2012 POR
May 2011 Pop/ Poly April 2011 CSR
Dec 2010 POR May 2010 POR
Dec 2009 CBR May 2009 Poly March 2009 POR

polyfor4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 03:56 PM   #457
FutureMayor
Earning My Ears

Misunderstood

I'm not taking a shot at anyone personally nor am I challenging the credibility of anyone on the boards. I'm new here and would like to see the most accurate and timely information possible. I'm just sharing the information I have and will continue to post what I believe to be true. I hope others will do the same so we can all come up with a way to make the most of a stay at a place we clearly all hold in high regard (otherwise we wouldn't take the time to post our thoughts).
FutureMayor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 04:30 PM   #458
middlesista
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistysue View Post
I would think about how "park heavy" your touring is going to be and how many trips you think you will take to the magic kingdom. How old are the kids? My family absolutely loves the Yacht club, but we are the magic kingdom family. It is a solid 30 minute bus ride, plus waiting for the bus. Driving doesn't help because you have to park at the TTC and take the monorail. By the time you go back for a nap, one day going back and forth twice to the magic kingdom just fizzles the magic. The tropical theme really doesn't appeal to me, (gives me anxiety actually) but we are picking staying at the poly just because of the ease of travel.
Granddaughter are 5 and 1.5 and you are right- we will be at the MK more than anyplace else

Thanks!!

Me DH DD DSIL DGD(5yr) DGD(2yr)

1975 OS 1978 DL 1986, 1988, 1990, 1995 Poly 2000 CBR2002, 2003 OS 2012, 2014 POFQ
middlesista is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 08:10 AM   #459
Chicago Mo
DIS Veteran

One persons opinion does not speak for the rest of us..
People, who like me, impatiently wait for breaking news on the Poly- how it will impact our trips..

I for one appreciate you, your knowledge, and the fact you share your information with the rest of us.

Thank you.
Chicago Mo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 02:36 PM   #460
Pirate Mickey mom
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonacker View Post
Tikiman: THANK YOU so much for not keeping your information to yourself! You're the best.
I wholeheartedly agree Tikiman! You rock!

1998 offsite, Jan 2010 CB, Nov 2010 POR, Mar 2011 Swan, Jan 2012 AKL Kidani Village/Disney Dream/CB, Jan 2013 Poly/Disney Fantasy, Jan 2014 Poly, January 2015 POR/Disney Dream
Pirate Mickey mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 10:37 PM   #461
horse11
DIS Veteran

I am a little late posting but I just wanted to say I hope you do not let the ignorance of a person whom is new to the posts bring you down. Try not to be upset with them either for they have no idea about how helpful your information has been to so many people. You are loved by many. Being some what new to the forums myself I too have let my frustrations with what is happening at the Poly get the best of me. At first I just could not understand peoples loyality to the Poly. I have wanted to stay here for years and finally had the chance to do so but just can not bring myself to do it with all the construction. What has surprised me is the amount of people who choose to stay at the Poly through thick and thin. They are even willing to pay the prices construction and all. Well I finally get it. The Poly is like family "Ohana". A place to call home when away from home. I feel that way about the Islands. There it is not only the place but the people. I believe that you have a part in all that with what you bring so many people on this forum. So please don't take offense to people who just don't have a clue and by all means please continue to share.
horse11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 10:52 PM   #462
ianluvsmickeymouse
Earning My Ears

Poly is growing on me! That pool! We're going in December so not sure if we will use it
ianluvsmickeymouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 09:16 AM   #463
Grace&Carolinesmom
DIS Veteran

I am just going to jump in here for a few minutes to air my opinions. Everyone reads posts differently as it is somewhat like the telephone game. Without actually "hearing" the words being spoken by the poster or knowing a poster's background, the reader can sometimes take certain text and read it differently as each reader has his/her own history/experiences to draw upon for interpretation. I think it is important to step back and analyze something from a different perspective before coming to any conclusion regarding the intentions of a poster.

I did not interpret the post being referenced by many as inflammatory. The poster is new here and may not know the YEARS of history behind Disney construction denials/misinformation. I perceived the statement on "credible" sources as referring to sources such as bus drivers, taxi drivers, tour operators, etc. and not someone here on these boards. Again, just my take on the situation.

I enjoy reading everyone's posts on this thread and hope that no poster has felt the need to abandon it due to a misunderstanding. Nuff said.

CR--May 2006 Poly--April 2007 Poly--April 2009
YC-- April 2010 CSR--Oct 2011 GF--July 2014
Grace&Carolinesmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 09:32 AM   #464
Grace&Carolinesmom
DIS Veteran

Now.....back to regular programming.....I have not posted here in a while as the DVC construction and general impending construction wariness has lead me to make reservations at another resort for our upcoming July vacation. I have been reading with great interest as I wish they would just ...get 'er done. With permits and NOC having been filed, I wish they would just go into express mode and get the construction work done on the pools and GCH so that everyone is not left with so much uncertainty. We all love the Poly so much and we are well aware that it is changing...a LOT. Some things are exciting and others are worrisome. I am in the minority, I know, but I am looking forward to changes at the Volcano pool. I just wish the new plans would include a larger pool footprint in addition to the new kids water play area. I have always felt the pool is too small for the resort size. I also hope it includes new, larger bathrooms with expanded showers and lockers.

Even though we are staying next door at the GF, I am keeping an eye out and *IF* CCs is still up and running in July, I would consider switching our ressie back. I can deal with the pool refurb while on vacation but the CS being quickly accessible and running with full menu and staff is important to our family. Even more so as my youngest DD has several food allergies which puts another wrench in the issue at hand.

CR--May 2006 Poly--April 2007 Poly--April 2009
YC-- April 2010 CSR--Oct 2011 GF--July 2014
Grace&Carolinesmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 11:16 AM   #465
horse11
DIS Veteran

I have a question for all of you expirenced Poly goers. We have the opportunity to book a private photo session at the Poly on the day we will be going to Ohana's for breakfast. My question is do you think there will still be parts of the beach with the palm trees for our photo session that will not be tarnished by the construction? Do you think the waterfall may still be there for us to takes pictures by? Any one have any other ideas for areas in the Poly for us to take a beautiful landscaped family photo? We are staying at another resort because of the construction should we also think of another location for or photo Shoot?
horse11 is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: