Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 01-10-2014, 09:35 AM   #406
Tikiman
He kuikawa ka 'ikena o kela wahi ho'oku ka'a e waiho kala'e ihola ma 'o!
 
Tikiman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: California
Posts: 4,557

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago Mo View Post
WOW!
Thank you very much for responding. This is not helping my newly formed ulcers!
I am shocked it stayed open while the construction was going on! wonder how many people will run from here because of the construction and rumors.. Hopefully we will have the resort to ourselves...

Yet scares me even more. I guess time will tell. I will be keeping a watchful eye here and on your web site as the news trickles in. The CM i spoke to yesterday said all she can tell - the Monorail will be "adjusted" and will finish by march.
We are still going to our HOME away from home Sept 7th. I don't have plans to change unless the construction is that horrible, it takes away from the poly i know and love...

Again thank you so much for your reply. Looking forward to your updates.
If you got there in September and the construction was bad, I am sure they would put you in another Deluxe resort. They have done that before.
__________________
He kuikawa ka 'ikena o kela wahi ho'oku ka'a e waiho kala'e ihola ma 'o!
Tikiman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 06:59 PM   #407
jandkmom
Mouseketeer
 
jandkmom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 336

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferrentinos View Post
There will just be myself, DH and DD3 for 4 nights - We'll be there for breakfast every day and apps as many times as we can. We love the food offerings there and you can't beat the view of Wishes! :-)
We will be doing as much as possible in the lounge too (except for one ADR at Crystal Palace for breakfast…I just love going into MK before rope drop). My DD11 has a chronic illness and may need frequent breaks from the parks. The lounge makes it much easier to enjoy ourselves, although the monorail being down during the day is kind of a pain. Oh well, we'll make do! See you there!
__________________
jandkmom is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 01-10-2014, 09:06 PM   #408
Eparisher
Earning My Ears
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 1

I'm biting my nails... I'm taking my skeptical Grandmother, My mom, and my Aunt as well as my two kids, 4 and 15 months. We are arriving May 3rd. I have never actually stayed at the Poly but I always eat at Ohana while I am in Disney. I am excited for sure but soooo nervous about all the construction! I really hope the pool will be open!
Eparisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 12:27 AM   #409
Skywise
DIS Veteran
 
Skywise's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Indiana
Posts: 710

Disney really needs to get this information out. They've setup their entire system so that you MUST plan 6 months in advance and then they can't even figure out what the resort status is going to be not even 2 weeks from now. I'm trying to form up plans for a fall trip now and I'd like to stay at the Poly but I'm not sure what to expect... Will the pool still be closed? (Will it have even closed to begin with?!) What will the status of the ceremonial house be? The beach?

Okay, maybe I'll do end of April because I know the pool will still be open (kinda, sort of)... but now I'm inside of the 180 day window for dining reservations and I'm screwed that way! :headbangingsmiley:
Skywise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 01:32 AM   #410
HairyChest
Mouseketeer
 
HairyChest's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: California
Posts: 233

What do you guys think about reserving kona in mid may for dinner? Would the closure of the pool effect the access to the beach to watch the fireworks from after dinner?
__________________
12/2012 -Poly, 12/2013- WL/Poly 5/210- Grand Floridian
Review of the Grand Floridian http://disboards.com/showthread.php?...2#post51494372
HairyChest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 06:47 AM   #411
Tallent
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Maryland
Posts: 484

I just booked our trip for aug 8-14. Don't think construction will bother us as long as long as volcano pool and monorail are in use. Csr is our 'home' but the poly deal I got was too good to pass up and poly has always been a dream of mine. Dd 12 and ds 9 are hoping dh will even consider joining us since he's always wanted to stay there---he does not do heat much less fl in August heat so planned to sit this one out. Soo excited for our poly stay!
__________________
Tallent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 09:08 AM   #412
Ferrentinos
DIS Veteran
 
Ferrentinos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 876

Quote:
Originally Posted by jandkmom View Post
We will be doing as much as possible in the lounge too (except for one ADR at Crystal Palace for breakfast…I just love going into MK before rope drop). My DD11 has a chronic illness and may need frequent breaks from the parks. The lounge makes it much easier to enjoy ourselves, although the monorail being down during the day is kind of a pain. Oh well, we'll make do! See you there!
I agree about the monorail but I think it will be only a problem for one day that we will leave MK in the middle of the day. Otherwise, we will be traveling during times that the monorail is running or we'll be heading off the monorail anyway. Just so excited to be heading back to Poly CL!!! Can't wait for a glass of wine and watching Wishes with DD3 in her pjs! :-)
__________________
5/01 - AKL, 4/05 - CBR, 7/06 - POFQ, 12/07 - Pop, 6/12 - DCL Magic NYC, 12/12 - Poly, 7/13 - PolyCL, 1/14 - PolyCL, 5/14 - AKLCL, 7/14 - GF SL, 11/14 - YC/GF , 6/15 - PolyCL, 7/15 - DCL Fantasy, 7/15 - AKL CL

Ferrentinos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 02:33 PM   #413
jude&jonah
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 309

I'm spending one night at the Poly March 28th. Two quick questions:

1. Volcano pool will be open right?
2. It's CL- so it's that automatically Hawaii?

Thanks!
__________________
Erin

1995- Caribbean Beach / 1998 x2- Boardwalk & Fort Wilderness / 2002- Sheraton Vistana
2006- Sheraton Vistana / 2006 to 2007- Grand Floridian Cast Member /
2011- Coronado Springs / 2013 Caribbean Beach & Polynesian Split-Stay
Booked for March 2014 for 6 nights at Coronado Springs!
jude&jonah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 03:57 PM   #414
Tess
DIS Vet - 1997
Still thinking happy little thoughts. . .
The Tag Fairy sees and loves Tess too!
 
Tess's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: A Buckeye in Wolverine Country
Posts: 3,954

Quote:
Originally Posted by jude&jonah View Post
I'm spending one night at the Poly March 28th. Two quick questions:

1. Volcano pool will be open right?
2. It's CL- so it's that automatically Hawaii?

Thanks!
1. Good guess?

2. Unless you are booked in a suite, it will be Hawaii for CL.
__________________
Tess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 04:04 PM   #415
Tess
DIS Vet - 1997
Still thinking happy little thoughts. . .
The Tag Fairy sees and loves Tess too!
 
Tess's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: A Buckeye in Wolverine Country
Posts: 3,954

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tikiman View Post
Consider that in the past Disney has had whole sections of the Polynesian resort closed off and under construction including the early 90s that had a redesign to the entire GCH and had most of it closed off for long periods of time. Then from 2000-2001 the whole middle section of the resort was dirt and construction with trucks driving in and out along the GCH to get to the new pool being constructed including a huge crane in the middle and the beach closed off by a wall as seen in this photo.

Ron and I actually remember that rehab of the pool--we were so bummed the old pool was being changed. While it added a bit of sitting space, I wouldn't consider the "new" pool an improvement. Let's hope the new concept provides more space for lounging.

For those who are concerned about the construction, I will say that in all the years we have stayed at the Polynesian, the various construction/rehabs have never interfered with our enjoyment. Inconvenienced at times, but we have enjoyed each and every stay regardless.
__________________
Tess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 06:30 PM   #416
jandkmom
Mouseketeer
 
jandkmom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 336

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferrentinos View Post
I agree about the monorail but I think it will be only a problem for one day that we will leave MK in the middle of the day. Otherwise, we will be traveling during times that the monorail is running or we'll be heading off the monorail anyway. Just so excited to be heading back to Poly CL!!! Can't wait for a glass of wine and watching Wishes with DD3 in her pjs! :-)
Me too! Make mine a Lapu Lapu and I'll be all set
__________________
jandkmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 08:06 PM   #417
maddiebee
DIS Veteran
 
maddiebee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Boston, Ma
Posts: 816

Quote:
Originally Posted by HairyChest View Post
What do you guys think about reserving kona in mid may for dinner? Would the closure of the pool effect the access to the beach to watch the fireworks from after dinner?
We just booked for August 24-31 and access to the beach is really my main concern at this point. While I'm not a huge pool person, it does seem completely crazy to me that they would choose hottest time of year to rehab it. If they had been working on it this past week I don't think anyone would of minded!!

Also, I think I saw somewhere that if the pool IS closed, Poly guests would be granted access to another pool? Is that true?

As far as noise from the construction is concerned, if it ends up being too loud where we are, is that something they are generally ok moving you to another spot for?
maddiebee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 08:28 PM   #418
maiapapaya
Totally DIS-tracted!
 
maiapapaya's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: southwestern ON
Posts: 2,451

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddiebee View Post
We just booked for August 24-31 and access to the beach is really my main concern at this point. While I'm not a huge pool person, it does seem completely crazy to me that they would choose hottest time of year to rehab it. If they had been working on it this past week I don't think anyone would of minded!!

Also, I think I saw somewhere that if the pool IS closed, Poly guests would be granted access to another pool? Is that true?

As far as noise from the construction is concerned, if it ends up being too loud where we are, is that something they are generally ok moving you to another spot for?
In the past, when the pool was closed, or even the slide out of service, Poly guests have been allowed to take a shuttle boat over to the GF to use their pool. I would imagine that will be done again while the refurb is going on.

People have reported being moved upon request when having problems with construction noise. I think they will try to accommodate guests the best that they can based on availability.
__________________

me DH DD22 DD11 DD9 Finnegan
1971 offsite ~ 1988 CBR ~ 2009 Poly ~ 2010 Poly ~ 2011 Poly CL ~ 2012 Poly CL ~ 2013 Poly ~ 2014 Fantasy Western Caribbean ~ 2014 GF ~ 2015 Magic Mediterranean
maiapapaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 08:31 PM   #419
maddiebee
DIS Veteran
 
maddiebee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Boston, Ma
Posts: 816

Quote:
Originally Posted by maiapapaya View Post
In the past, when the pool was closed, or even the slide out of service, Poly guests have been allowed to take a shuttle boat over to the GF to use their pool. I would imagine that will be done again while the refurb is going on.

People have reported being moved upon request when having problems with construction noise. I think they will try to accommodate guests the best that they can based on availability.
Has previous construction on the pool cut off access to the beach?
maddiebee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 08:40 PM   #420
maiapapaya
Totally DIS-tracted!
 
maiapapaya's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: southwestern ON
Posts: 2,451

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddiebee View Post
Has previous construction on the pool cut off access to the beach?
Not in recent years, but this upcoming project sounds very large scale. However, I can't see them completely cutting off access to the beach for a couple of reasons. Guests will still need access to the dock for the MK shuttle boats and if they have to use the GF pool the most convenient way to get guests over there is to use the pontoon boat from the beach that they have in the past.

If the beach were completely closed off there would be no access to the small boats, the fireworks or the EWP. On top of everything else that is going on I think that would be the breaking point for a lot of already inconvenienced guests. Of course this is just an educated guess on my part
__________________

me DH DD22 DD11 DD9 Finnegan
1971 offsite ~ 1988 CBR ~ 2009 Poly ~ 2010 Poly ~ 2011 Poly CL ~ 2012 Poly CL ~ 2013 Poly ~ 2014 Fantasy Western Caribbean ~ 2014 GF ~ 2015 Magic Mediterranean
maiapapaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:32 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.

You Rated this Thread: