Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-08-2014, 02:19 PM   #391
Tikiman
He kuikawa ka 'ikena o kela wahi ho'oku ka'a e waiho kala'e ihola ma 'o!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyMama11 View Post
Aloha!

I am heading to the Poly in just 10 days! This is our family's second time staying at the resort and we are thrilled not only to be going to DW but to stay at the Poly as well (construction and all!)

Last year we requested and receive a room in Tokelau, 3rd floor facing the quiet pool. We loved our room and the location as we mostly walked to the TTC for the monorail/ferry to MK and monorail to Epcot. I am hesitant to request the same location with the construction in Tahiti and Rapa Nui, especially now that they have been closed. I was thinking of requesting Samoa 3rd floor but my DH wants to just not request anything, see what we are assigned and deal with it at check in. I am afraid requesting nothing we will get the worst room on property!

Would anyone still request Tokelau at this point?
I have never requested anything and 2 of my first 4 stays at the resort I was upgraded in view and to club level once. Twice I changed my room to something else at check in with no problems.
Old 01-08-2014, 02:48 PM   #392
JerseyMama11
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tikiman View Post
I have never requested anything and 2 of my first 4 stays at the resort I was upgraded in view and to club level once. Twice I changed my room to something else at check in with no problems.
Thanks! I guess we will wait and see what we get at check in.
Register to remove

Old 01-08-2014, 06:36 PM   #393
WendyisDarling
DIS Veteran

Question January info?

We arrive Jan. 21. Soon after making our reservation many months ago I started reading about construction and renovation. Got stressed, then decided it will be fine-- it's my beloved Poly, after all?

I stopped reading updates...until today. Now I'm just confused
We are staying in Hawaii. We haven't received any notices of inconveniences.

I expected the Volcano pool (DS favorite...he used to call the Poly the Volcano pool hotel when little) to be closed.
I'm trying to read posts and Tikiman's FB page but cannot figure out if the renovation was delayed leaving the pool open for a bit or if it is currently being resurfaced but major work will start in the Spring (kind of doesn't make sense).

I saw a post in this thread that the monorail service will be out of service from 11:30 am to 7pm beginning the day we check in continuing for weeks to come. Accurate? That will really be a bummer.

Anyone care to give me a quick update on what to expect in less than 2 weeks?
Sorry for the annoying request. The thread is so long.
WendyisDarling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 07:12 PM   #394
ALMinVA
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by WendyisDarling View Post
We arrive Jan. 21. Soon after making our reservation many months ago I started reading about construction and renovation. Got stressed, then decided it will be fine-- it's my beloved Poly, after all? I stopped reading updates...until today. Now I'm just confused We are staying in Hawaii. We haven't received any notices of inconveniences. I expected the Volcano pool (DS favorite...he used to call the Poly the Volcano pool hotel when little) to be closed. I'm trying to read posts and Tikiman's FB page but cannot figure out if the renovation was delayed leaving the pool open for a bit or if it is currently being resurfaced but major work will start in the Spring (kind of doesn't make sense). I saw a post in this thread that the monorail service will be out of service from 11:30 am to 7pm beginning the day we check in continuing for weeks to come. Accurate? That will really be a bummer. Anyone care to give me a quick update on what to expect in less than 2 weeks? Sorry for the annoying request. The thread is so long.
We check in in 17 days in Hawaii and received a letter regarding construction and the monorail service being down. It stated something about the beach view and the monorail being down but I had read about that here so I wasn't surprised. I can't remember if it mentioned the pool, I'll have to dig the letter out. It came about 2 weeks ago.

[/url]
ALMinVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 07:19 PM   #395
Bonacker
Mouseketeer

We check in at Poly on Jan. 25th (after four nights at AKL Jambo Villas), but haven't gotten any letters. From what I've read on Tikiman's Facebook page, the Volcano Pool will be open all month. The Never Land Club is open until Jan. 28 (that's official); and, yes, the monorail will be closed weekdays between 11:30 and 7 (also official, per Disney press release).

I couldn't tell from my reading if any new construction/refub will be going on THIS particular month in the Great Ceremonial House, but I think -- ? -- the speculation is that the closed Wyland Galleries might be used as a temporary reception area while the current reception is refurbed. And/or, the Wyland Galleries space -- already closed -- might become DVC check-in area.

I am definitely not a reliable source, myself: We've never even been to Disney before! This is all just what I've read via Tikiman, plus Disboards.
Bonacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 07:27 PM   #396
ALMinVA
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonacker View Post
We check in at Poly on Jan. 25th (after four nights at AKL Jambo Villas), but haven't gotten any letters. From what I've read on Tikiman's Facebook page, the Volcano Pool will be open all month. The Never Land Club is open until Jan. 28 (that's official); and, yes, the monorail will be closed weekdays between 11:30 and 7 (also official, per Disney press release). I couldn't tell from my reading if any new construction/refub will be going on THIS particular month in the Grand Ceremonial House, but I think -- ? -- the speculation is that the closed Wyland Galleries might be used as a temporary reception area while the current reception is refurbed. And/or, the Wyland Galleries space -- already closed -- might become DVC check-in area. I am definitely not a reliable source, myself: We've never even been to Disney before! This is all just what I've read via Tikiman, plus Disboards.
You picked the right resorts! We stayed AKL Kidani last year and loved it! Poly is our favorite construction and all even with monorail being down since it's a short walk to TTC.
Have a great trip!

[/url]
Old 01-08-2014, 07:37 PM   #397
Bonacker
Mouseketeer

Can't wait!
Bonacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 07:50 PM   #398
WendyisDarling
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALMinVA View Post
We check in in 17 days in Hawaii and received a letter regarding construction and the monorail service being down. It stated something about the beach view and the monorail being down but I had read about that here so I wasn't surprised. I can't remember if it mentioned the pool, I'll have to dig the letter out. It came about 2 weeks ago.
Thanks for the help ( and to all who gave info.)
What does beach view being down mean?
Was really looking forward to sitting on beach and watching fireworks.
Trying to stay positive . But DH is becoming annoyed
WendyisDarling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 08:53 PM   #399
GatorLady
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyMama11 View Post

Would anyone still request Tokelau at this point?

We just got back Sunday. I had requested Tokelau, quiet pool side, near parking. We got exactly that; a second floor room, overlooking the quiet pool, at the very end of the building nearest to parking.

We heard absolutely nothing as far as construction was concerned, and I was in the room a couple of mornings until noon, and one day in the middle of the afternoon.

Of course depending what they are working on it might make a difference, but we were just fine.

Recent trips: May 2014: WL. Jan 2014: Poly. May 2013: Contemporary. Christmas 2012: POP. May 2012: WL. Christmas 2011: WL. August 2011: POP. May 2011: WL. Feb 2011: CBR. Christmas 2010: WL. Halloween 2010: ASSports. Summer 2010: WL/Contemporary. First trip: 1974
GatorLady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 10:48 AM   #400
Chicago Mo
DIS Veteran

construction..

I have been trying to keep up with the construction. Yet the amount of rumors are daunting..

we will be going in Sept 7-14 to be exact... what should i expect? is the GCH going to be in ruins as i am led to believe by the rumors? Will the pool be demolished?

I love the Poly.. it is my home resort i cannot wait to go back!!! I just wish i had some concrete information to say no the resort will be in livable loveable means!!! or it will be a construction nightmare.

Knowing Disney they can't have a resort in such ruins with people still staying there?!?!

can someone help my poor little head? I am following the poly construction thread as well.. which is why my head hurts!!!
Chicago Mo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 11:31 AM   #401
dansdad
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago Mo View Post
I have been trying to keep up with the construction. Yet the amount of rumors are daunting..

we will be going in Sept 7-14 to be exact... what should i expect? is the GCH going to be in ruins as i am led to believe by the rumors? Will the pool be demolished?

I love the Poly.. it is my home resort i cannot wait to go back!!! I just wish i had some concrete information to say no the resort will be in livable loveable means!!! or it will be a construction nightmare.

Knowing Disney they can't have a resort in such ruins with people still staying there?!?!

can someone help my poor little head? I am following the poly construction thread as well.. which is why my head hurts!!!
Unfortunately, nobody can answer any of these with any amount of certainty.
Old 01-09-2014, 11:54 AM   #402
Chicago Mo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by dansdad View Post
Unfortunately, nobody can answer any of these with any amount of certainty.
I see your also from Chicago...

This is killing me... the NOT KNOWING is killing me...
Old 01-09-2014, 05:40 PM   #403
Tikiman
He kuikawa ka 'ikena o kela wahi ho'oku ka'a e waiho kala'e ihola ma 'o!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago Mo View Post

Consider that in the past Disney has had whole sections of the Polynesian resort closed off and under construction including the early 90s that had a redesign to the entire GCH and had most of it closed off for long periods of time. Then from 2000-2001 the whole middle section of the resort was dirt and construction with trucks driving in and out along the GCH to get to the new pool being constructed including a huge crane in the middle and the beach closed off by a wall as seen in this photo.

Old 01-09-2014, 06:40 PM   #404
ALMinVA
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by WendyisDarling View Post
Thanks for the help ( and to all who gave info.) What does beach view being down mean? Was really looking forward to sitting on beach and watching fireworks. Trying to stay positive . But DH is becoming annoyed
I've looked all over for that letter and can't find it but I wouldn't worry too much. I believe you can sit on the beach but not to the right of Hawaii but more to the left and please if anyone else has more current information please correct me if I'm wrong. You will be able to watch the fireworks from what I understand, the work is there but more to the right side from what I understand. We worried too at first but decided to remain with Poly and still feel we made the right choice.

[/url]
Old 01-10-2014, 07:19 AM   #405
Chicago Mo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tikiman View Post
Consider that in the past Disney has had whole sections of the Polynesian resort closed off and under construction including the early 90s that had a redesign to the entire GCH and had most of it closed off for long periods of time. Then from 2000-2001 the whole middle section of the resort was dirt and construction with trucks driving in and out along the GCH to get to the new pool being constructed including a huge crane in the middle and the beach closed off by a wall as seen in this photo.

WOW!
Thank you very much for responding. This is not helping my newly formed ulcers!
I am shocked it stayed open while the construction was going on! wonder how many people will run from here because of the construction and rumors.. Hopefully we will have the resort to ourselves...

Yet scares me even more. I guess time will tell. I will be keeping a watchful eye here and on your web site as the news trickles in. The CM i spoke to yesterday said all she can tell - the Monorail will be "adjusted" and will finish by march.
We are still going to our HOME away from home Sept 7th. I don't have plans to change unless the construction is that horrible, it takes away from the poly i know and love...

Again thank you so much for your reply. Looking forward to your updates.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: