Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 12-07-2013, 09:38 AM   #271
psac
DIS Veteran
 
psac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Staten Island, NY
Posts: 2,443

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wood Nymph View Post
A funny thing happened at Captain Cook's at the Poly today. We had gone over there for lunch and this lady was trying to fill her four non-resort mugs with Coke. It wasn't working for her and she couldn't figure out why. I told her that there was a sensor in the machine and if she didn't have a rapidfill mug, she couldn't get a drink. Her mugs were from an outside resort. Maybe the monorail resorts will have a whole lot less non-resort traffic now. The volcano pool had very few people in it, too.
But the lady had a right to get the free coke!!!
__________________
“It's kind of fun to do the impossible.” - Walt Disney
Upcoming BLT Jul'15, BWV/DCL Fantasy Sep'15, BWV Dec'15
Past BWV Dec'14, AKL-K Apr'14, BWV Nov'13, VWL/DCL Fantasy Sep'13, Poly CL Jul'13, AKL CL Apr'13, BWV Nov'12, BC CL Jun'12, BLT Apr'12, BWV Nov'11, CR Jul'11, BWI CL Nov'10, GF CL Apr'10, GF Apr'09, Omni Champ. Apr'07, POR Oct '03
psac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 02:21 PM   #272
Lsdolphin
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Maryland
Posts: 301

Quote:
Originally Posted by psac View Post
But the lady had a right to get the free coke!!!

Maybe she could just fill her cup at the Dole Whip machine no chips in those bowls...yet!
Lsdolphin is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 12-07-2013, 08:35 PM   #273
alex9179
DIS Veteran
 
alex9179's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Texas
Posts: 1,321

Can't believe this happened today.

DH calls to tell me what vacation he has for 2014. He put in for the beginning of June and beginning of August. Well, they assigned him January instead of June! At first, I told him to see if they can adjust it because we were going to visit his family in June, but then I realized that there are some pretty good RO deals going on at WDW. The person he needed to speak to about it wasn't available today sooooo...

We just booked a last minute trip to the POLY We'll be celebrating DS's December bday as well as DD's and mine for January.

I realize there's some significant construction, but I think GV CL will be ok. Besides, we have 2 parks practically next door No worries about the pool, either. I think it will be too cool for swimming and have already told the kids that.

Oh, I tried to be good and do a budget trip. Told DH about ASMu and POR, but when he found out Poly CL was within our comfort zone, he jumped on it - even with the construction!
alex9179 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 08:45 PM   #274
Sandi
A proud Spartans fan!
 
Sandi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: East Lansing, Michigan USA
Posts: 5,436

Checked in yesterday afternoon. Had requested a room with a balcony room in Samoa. Got a second floor room in Samoa, so no balcony. Asked if any rooms with a balcony were available not in a building by construction. No such luck. The room is very nice, but I don't understand why they designed these buildings with no balconies on the second flooring some sections.

Housekeeping is great. Captain Cook's is good. Ordered from Garden Grocer and that was perfect. We have a view of the volcano pool, but it's not loud.

Overall, really nice. Now back to my Spartans!
__________________
Have a Disney Day! -Sandi

Sandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 09:03 AM   #275
maiapapaya
Totally DIS-tracted!
 
maiapapaya's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: southwestern ON
Posts: 2,523

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex9179 View Post
Can't believe this happened today.

DH calls to tell me what vacation he has for 2014. He put in for the beginning of June and beginning of August. Well, they assigned him January instead of June! At first, I told him to see if they can adjust it because we were going to visit his family in June, but then I realized that there are some pretty good RO deals going on at WDW. The person he needed to speak to about it wasn't available today sooooo...

We just booked a last minute trip to the POLY We'll be celebrating DS's December bday as well as DD's and mine for January.

I realize there's some significant construction, but I think GV CL will be ok. Besides, we have 2 parks practically next door No worries about the pool, either. I think it will be too cool for swimming and have already told the kids that.

Oh, I tried to be good and do a budget trip. Told DH about ASMu and POR, but when he found out Poly CL was within our comfort zone, he jumped on it - even with the construction!
We just got back from the Poly on Wednesday. At this point, the construction impact is really nominal, unless you are staying TPV. We actually had very little sense that construction was going on unless travelling past the areas with construction fences, which are all on one side of the resort. Unless they start up some work in the GCH in January your trip should not have a huge impact from the work going on. Enjoy your vacation!
__________________


me DH DD23 DD12 DD9 Finnegan Daisy
1971 offsite ~ 1988 CBR ~ 2009 Poly ~ 2010 Poly ~ 2011 Poly CL ~ 2012 Poly CL ~ 2013 Poly ~ 2014 Fantasy Western Caribbean ~ 2014 GF ~ 2015 Poly
maiapapaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 09:56 AM   #276
alex9179
DIS Veteran
 
alex9179's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Texas
Posts: 1,321

Quote:
Originally Posted by maiapapaya View Post
We just got back from the Poly on Wednesday. At this point, the construction impact is really nominal, unless you are staying TPV. We actually had very little sense that construction was going on unless travelling past the areas with construction fences, which are all on one side of the resort. Unless they start up some work in the GCH in January your trip should not have a huge impact from the work going on. Enjoy your vacation!
Wonderful! Thank you for your "real time" insight. Since we know what's going on, I don't think it will affect our vacation too much. I'm sure the construction played a large part in why Poly is available under the RO code and CR (my first choice for something different) was almost completely booked.

So excited! I booked, figured out a loose daily park plan, made a couple of ADRs, chose MB colors, checked in with a balcony request and mapped a couple of options to stop for the night since we're driving. I just LOVE the planning part!
alex9179 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 11:11 AM   #277
BringingUpDisney
DIS Veteran
 
BringingUpDisney's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Northern California
Posts: 619

We had a lackluster trip to the Poly earlier this week. We had reserved CL GV with the only request being 1st or 3rd floor. We were upgraded to a TP view on the 2nd floor. We appreciated the upgrade but it was at the far end of Hawaii right in the midst of the construction and the view was blocked by a big hill of diet with a steam shovel on it, which rose above the construction fence. When we asked for the GV room we had booked or any other room away from the construction we were told nothing was available. There was a lot of beeping equipment so the end result is my DD 3 couldn't get an uninterrupted nap for 4 days. This made everything tough. I mentioned it to the staff and again asked to move to another room only to be told that nothing was available.

The staff at CL was indifferent - the guy that checked us in really only cared about his ongoing sinus infection and gave us wrong directions to HDDR. Some days no one even said good morning, much less the cheery "Alohas" that are usual at the Poly. When I would ask for milk for my daughter it was treated as a big imposition. Mostly, it just didn't feel friendly or welcoming.

We moved to the YC for the second half of our trip and the staff couldn't be nicer. It is calm, relaxing and very friendly, much more my style!
__________________




me miss J my little princess (2)
BringingUpDisney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 11:43 AM   #278
maiapapaya
Totally DIS-tracted!
 
maiapapaya's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: southwestern ON
Posts: 2,523

Quote:
Originally Posted by BringingUpDisney View Post
We had a lackluster trip to the Poly earlier this week. We had reserved CL GV with the only request being 1st or 3rd floor. We were upgraded to a TP view on the 2nd floor. We appreciated the upgrade but it was at the far end of Hawaii right in the midst of the construction and the view was blocked by a big hill of diet with a steam shovel on it, which rose above the construction fence. When we asked for the GV room we had booked or any other room away from the construction we were told nothing was available. There was a lot of beeping equipment so the end result is my DD 3 couldn't get an uninterrupted nap for 4 days. This made everything tough. I mentioned it to the staff and again asked to move to another room only to be told that nothing was available.

The staff at CL was indifferent - the guy that checked us in really only cared about his ongoing sinus infection and gave us wrong directions to HDDR. Some days no one even said good morning, much less the cheery "Alohas" that are usual at the Poly. When I would ask for milk for my daughter it was treated as a big imposition. Mostly, it just didn't feel friendly or welcoming.

We moved to the YC for the second half of our trip and the staff couldn't be nicer. It is calm, relaxing and very friendly, much more my style!
Sorry your stay at the Poly wasn't great. What happened to you is exactly what I've told my DH & friend I suspect they are going to do. We were just there and booked a BB for next fall. The only rooms available for the BB were CL GV, there weren't even any non CL "standard" (GV) rooms. My theory is that with Tahiti & Rapa Nui coming out of inventory they will probably not have a problem filling the resort (being down 2 longhouses), but they probably aren't selling many CL LV/TPV rooms right now, so they will try to fill Hawaii with GV bookings and then "magically" upgrade people to the TPV side of the building. I agree with you. Right now I would want the GV room and wouldn't consider the TPV an upgrade. Happy that the YC has made the second half of your vacation much more enjoyable!
__________________


me DH DD23 DD12 DD9 Finnegan Daisy
1971 offsite ~ 1988 CBR ~ 2009 Poly ~ 2010 Poly ~ 2011 Poly CL ~ 2012 Poly CL ~ 2013 Poly ~ 2014 Fantasy Western Caribbean ~ 2014 GF ~ 2015 Poly
maiapapaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 12:03 PM   #279
alex9179
DIS Veteran
 
alex9179's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Texas
Posts: 1,321

Quote:
Originally Posted by BringingUpDisney View Post
We had a lackluster trip to the Poly earlier this week. We had reserved CL GV with the only request being 1st or 3rd floor. We were upgraded to a TP view on the 2nd floor. We appreciated the upgrade but it was at the far end of Hawaii right in the midst of the construction and the view was blocked by a big hill of diet with a steam shovel on it, which rose above the construction fence. When we asked for the GV room we had booked or any other room away from the construction we were told nothing was available. There was a lot of beeping equipment so the end result is my DD 3 couldn't get an uninterrupted nap for 4 days. This made everything tough. I mentioned it to the staff and again asked to move to another room only to be told that nothing was available.

The staff at CL was indifferent - the guy that checked us in really only cared about his ongoing sinus infection and gave us wrong directions to HDDR. Some days no one even said good morning, much less the cheery "Alohas" that are usual at the Poly. When I would ask for milk for my daughter it was treated as a big imposition. Mostly, it just didn't feel friendly or welcoming.

We moved to the YC for the second half of our trip and the staff couldn't be nicer. It is calm, relaxing and very friendly, much more my style!
That's really too bad. I considered YC but, with 5 of us, the larger rooms at the Poly and the proximity to MK and EPCOT were deciding factors. Also, I didn't want the kids begging to swim at SAB if it's cold…because they would and the youngest is a tyrant. I guess if I'm "unlucky" enough to be upgraded and am bothered by noise, I could request a different resort! I think we'll be ok, though.
alex9179 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 12:55 PM   #280
MelissaTnNc
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Nashville, TN
Posts: 145

Checked out yesterday from a 4 night stay. Our room was in Tokelau GV and we were on the third floor in the back half of the building, so the end of the building close to the convention hall. We barely noticed the construction, def did not hear any construction from our room or even when out swimming at the main pool and were thrilled with our room and the location of the building. Our stay was wonderful, we splurged for this trip and I don't know how we will ever go back to a mod or off site again .
__________________
February 2011 Sheraton Vistana/BlueGreen
September 2012 WBC/AofA LM
December 2013 AKL/Poly
May 2014 BlueGreen/SSR
MelissaTnNc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 02:37 PM   #281
BringingUpDisney
DIS Veteran
 
BringingUpDisney's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Northern California
Posts: 619

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex9179 View Post

That's really too bad. I considered YC but, with 5 of us, the larger rooms at the Poly and the proximity to MK and EPCOT were deciding factors. Also, I didn't want the kids begging to swim at SAB if it's cold…because they would and the youngest is a tyrant. I guess if I'm "unlucky" enough to be upgraded and am bothered by noise, I could request a different resort! I think we'll be ok, though.
Just so you know, our room at the yacht club isn't noticeably smaller, we have a daybed and it's a quick walk to both Epcot and HS. Can't help with the swimming but making it to the pool is a big motivator for good behavior. ;-)
__________________




me miss J my little princess (2)
BringingUpDisney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 02:55 PM   #282
MelissaTnNc
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Nashville, TN
Posts: 145

I'm so glad to hear that about the YC rooms. I knew the set up was the same with the day bed and want us to consider it for our May 2015 trip , but DH is worried about the room not being as big as the Poly room.
__________________
February 2011 Sheraton Vistana/BlueGreen
September 2012 WBC/AofA LM
December 2013 AKL/Poly
May 2014 BlueGreen/SSR
MelissaTnNc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 03:41 PM   #283
mickeynut1
DIS Veteran
 
mickeynut1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 15,223

Quote:
Originally Posted by BringingUpDisney View Post
Just so you know, our room at the yacht club isn't noticeably smaller, we have a daybed
Quote:
Originally Posted by MelissaTnNc View Post
I'm so glad to hear that about the YC rooms. I knew the set up was the same with the day bed and want us to consider it for our May 2015 trip , but DH is worried about the room not being as big as the Poly room.
Everyone's opinion is different, but I found the rooms at the BC (haven't stayed at the YC, but the rooms at the BC are the same size) to be considerably smaller than the rooms at the Poly. The Poly rooms are very large and spacious, while the BC room seemed just a tad larger than WL and AKL rooms. That is just my personal opinion and as I said, others might feel differently, but I would definitely choose the Poly over BC/YC if room size is an issue. Also, all rooms at the Poly come with a daybed, which would only be a request at the BC/YC as not all rooms come with one.
__________________


Country Inn & Suites LBV June 2001 - CBR July 2002 - BC December 2003 - WL CL Oct/Nov 2004 - WL September 2006 - All Star Vacation Homes March 2007 -Poly September 2007 - All Star Vacation Homes March 2008 - AKL/GF SL/WL January 2010 - AKL/GF December 2010 - GF RPC May 2011
mickeynut1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 09:15 PM   #284
stellablue96
Earning My Ears
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Huntington Woods, MI
Posts: 13

Sorry if this question has been asked a million times...but are all of the longhouses updated now? I do not want to request a longhouse that has not been updated. Thanks
__________________
Me (Sarah - 35) DH (Eric - 35) DD1(Riley - 5) DD2(Sydney - 2)

stellablue96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 09:28 PM   #285
jw50
I might make it sound more embarrasing that it really was
By definition all of the maelstrom women are hotties
 
jw50's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 2,721

The only longhouses that have not been updated are Tahiti and Rapa Nui.
__________________
Joe (or Joey to Donna)
jw50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:05 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.

You Rated this Thread: