Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-20-2013, 08:40 PM   #1
100AcreWood
DIS Veteran

Our family of 5's first Dream Cruise

We're back from our first Disney cruise on the Dream. We did the 4 night. I really appreciated everyone's patience answering my questions leading up to our cruise. I wanted to write a brief review of what we thought.

We stayed at the Country Inn and Suites prior to the cruise but chose to park at the port. Getting off the boat and walking to our car was worth the extra money to us. The hotel was great for the rate. My kids loved the room because it had bunk beds plus a twin bed. Also the free breakfast was actually good!

My 11 year old dd loved the Edge. We could barely get her to leave. My dd7 and ds5 didn't spend much time in the clubs because there was so much other stuff they wanted to do! I was very impressed with the clubs. I was initially worried about leaving them there but the staff seemed very capable. Also, our ship was full and the clubs were never busy when we visited.

Dd7 loved Pluto's PJ party the best. She also loved the shows at night. My dd11 loved the Edge and definitely said that was her favorite part. My ds5 tends to get overstimulated easily so he said he loved the cabin (and the big porthole window). The food was wonderful. I almost cried when our server cut up ds's food for me! One night my ds5 fell asleep at dinner and the servers pulled up an extra chair, tied the legs together and gently put my ds on his side so he could sleep more comfortably. That was really special!

I felt very safe the entire time I was on board. Every hallway I went down I ran into a CM - they were everywhere!

The only downside for me was getting a little seasick. I took dramamine but I could really feel the boat leaving port each time, then I would feel better. But the last night I felt the boat rocking a lot. I had to go to bed just to get over the feeling. I am very prone to car sickness, motion sickness, etc.

Overall, a great experience! We booked while on board however I'm leaning towards pushing our reservation out to 2015. We were really stuck in a rut (WDW three years in a row) and it was awesome to try something different. I want to do something different again next year and then go back for another cruise in 2015.

Thanks for all the help with the great advice!
2012 Windsor Hills 2011 Buena Vista Suites
2010 Doubletree DTD, then CSR
2008 Doubletree DTD 2006 Doubletree DTD
2005 Port Orleans Riverside
2005 Doubletree DTD 2005 Swan 2001 Dolphin
2000 All Star Movies 1999 Carribean Beach
100AcreWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 09:37 PM   #2
gumbypee
Mouseketeer

Glad u had awesome time! Cms are really awesome-sweet about falling asleep at dinner!
gumbypee is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-20-2013, 09:39 PM   #3
jennyjinx3
DIS Veteran

Could you tell me a bit more about PLuto's PJ party? Is it offered on the 3 night Dream? THx... Also glad to hear the Country Inn and Suites is ok, we are booked there too. DH asked me if it is ok...and I can only tell him that some Disers recommended it! LOL
Old 10-20-2013, 10:27 PM   #4
boogabuzz
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennyjinx3 View Post
Could you tell me a bit more about PLuto's PJ party? Is it offered on the 3 night Dream? THx... Also glad to hear the Country Inn and Suites is ok, we are booked there too. DH asked me if it is ok...and I can only tell him that some Disers recommended it! LOL
Yes, it is on the 3n. At least it was on our last 3n.
boogabuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 04:12 AM   #5
slzer0
DIS Veteran

Glad you had a great trip
I seeyou had an 8D type of room - was it cramped with 5ppl or did you feel you had space?

We are also planning on Country Inn as we've stayed at these before and like the breakfast. Was it consistent with others?

Glad to hear you apprecoated parking at the port - we are also planning this, it seems the most flexibile option with kids

Re: seasickness, were you in a fore or aft room? High or low deck?
We are booked in 6172 .
You said you went to bed to get away from the feeling.. was it lesser in room, or just that you cant be sick if youre asleep, lol?

Did you participate in a FE?

Thanks
Old 10-21-2013, 04:33 AM   #6
Bear3412
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by 100AcreWood View Post
..... My ds5 tends to get overstimulated easily so he said he loved the cabin (and the big porthole window). .....
Thanks for sharing you're experience. Your son's comments stood out.

I was surprised how much these massive ships do in fact move upon the sea.
Bear3412 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 08:31 AM   #7
amomma23
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by 100AcreWood View Post
We're back from our first Disney cruise on the Dream. We did the 4 night. I really appreciated everyone's patience answering my questions leading up to our cruise. I wanted to write a brief review of what we thought.

We stayed at the Country Inn and Suites prior to the cruise but chose to park at the port. Getting off the boat and walking to our car was worth the extra money to us. The hotel was great for the rate. My kids loved the room because it had bunk beds plus a twin bed. Also the free breakfast was actually good!

My 11 year old dd loved the Edge. We could barely get her to leave. My dd7 and ds5 didn't spend much time in the clubs because there was so much other stuff they wanted to do! I was very impressed with the clubs. I was initially worried about leaving them there but the staff seemed very capable. Also, our ship was full and the clubs were never busy when we visited.

Dd7 loved Pluto's PJ party the best. She also loved the shows at night. My dd11 loved the Edge and definitely said that was her favorite part. My ds5 tends to get overstimulated easily so he said he loved the cabin (and the big porthole window). The food was wonderful. I almost cried when our server cut up ds's food for me! One night my ds5 fell asleep at dinner and the servers pulled up an extra chair, tied the legs together and gently put my ds on his side so he could sleep more comfortably. That was really special!

I felt very safe the entire time I was on board. Every hallway I went down I ran into a CM - they were everywhere!

The only downside for me was getting a little seasick. I took dramamine but I could really feel the boat leaving port each time, then I would feel better. But the last night I felt the boat rocking a lot. I had to go to bed just to get over the feeling. I am very prone to car sickness, motion sickness, etc.

Overall, a great experience! We booked while on board however I'm leaning towards pushing our reservation out to 2015. We were really stuck in a rut (WDW three years in a row) and it was awesome to try something different. I want to do something different again next year and then go back for another cruise in 2015.

Thanks for all the help with the great advice!
This could have been my family, but we haven't cruised yet! We're going on our first cruise (also on the Dream) next year. Our kids are similar ages, and I am the one prone to motion sickness. Getting sick is my only fear about cruising. Glad you had a great time, and the sea sickness didn't ruin your trip.

amomma23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 08:39 AM   #8
100AcreWood
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennyjinx3 View Post
She said Pluto was there and he was super silly. They had fun playing silly games with him and they used fabric markers to color a cute pluto pillowcase.

Quote:
Originally Posted by slzer0 View Post
Glad you had a great trip
I seeyou had an 8D type of room - was it cramped with 5ppl or did you feel you had space?

We are also planning on Country Inn as we've stayed at these before and like the breakfast. Was it consistent with others?

Glad to hear you apprecoated parking at the port - we are also planning this, it seems the most flexibile option with kids

Re: seasickness, were you in a fore or aft room? High or low deck?
We are booked in 6172 .
You said you went to bed to get away from the feeling.. was it lesser in room, or just that you cant be sick if youre asleep, lol?

Did you participate in a FE?

Thanks
We thought the room was fine. The kids did great having their own bed. But if I had to spend a lot of time in the room I would have gone nuts. It was tight walking around. There was plenty of space to put our clothes and store our luggage under the bed. We rebooked and decided to stick with one room for 5. I think the extra room would have been another $300. However we did go with the veranda for our next trip.

This was our first stay at a Country Inn and Suites but I am very picky about breakfast. I was very surprised at the quality - make your own waffles, eggs, bacon, sausage, many kinds of juices and cereals. They had pastries and muffins too.

We loved parking at the port. My dh said it was $75 well spent to walk from the boat to our car and leave.

We were in 9158, Aft high. Next time we're lower in the boat and mid ship. I felt the same on level 4 when we went to dinner so I guess it didn't matter for me which part of the ship I was in (when it was really moving). I heard rumblings that someone was in a medical emergency and was taken to Nassau. I wonder if the boat was moving faster because they had to make up time? I never heard the full story.

We didn't participate in the FE. I have my hands full with the kids and I didn't want one more thing to worry about. We saw very few fish extenders during the trip so my kids didn't know any better. There is already so much to do I couldn't find time to fit it all in!

Have fun on your cruise!
Old 10-21-2013, 08:41 AM   #9
100AcreWood
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by amomma23 View Post
This could have been my family, but we haven't cruised yet! We're going on our first cruise (also on the Dream) next year. Our kids are similar ages, and I am the one prone to motion sickness. Getting sick is my only fear about cruising. Glad you had a great time, and the sea sickness didn't ruin your trip.
Thanks! I hope you have a great time too! The sea sickness wasn't bad enough to prevent me from booking again. I may try bonine next time. Or the seabands.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: