Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-21-2013, 01:23 PM   #91
rimomma66
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angel Ariel View Post
And what if you don't get that reservation? How will you feel about it then?

I signed on at 6am 180 days out in order to get BOG reservations, and I was never able to find one large enough for our group of 7. I have very little confidence that TSMM at 60 days out is going to be any different.

Not to mention that none of that helps those who can't plan their vacations until less than 60 days out (as previously mentioned). Personally, I don't think people should be "punished" because they can't plan their vacations x amt of time in advance when everyone is paying the same amount for admission.
Then I suck it up and find something else to do. It's a vacation- it's Disney- there are 1001+ things to enjoy. I wouldn't let not getting FP for one or two things ruin my trip. I'm not going to let it stress me out to the point that I freak.
rimomma66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 01:29 PM   #92
mom2rtk
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by rimomma66 View Post
Then I suck it up and find something else to do. It's a vacation- it's Disney- there are 1001+ things to enjoy. I wouldn't let not getting FP for one or two things ruin my trip. I'm not going to let it stress me out to the point that I freak.
Yes. I hear Stitch has a short line right now.

This is all part of the new scheme. When I heard the new system described, I heard a lot about how "underutilized" some of the attractions were. I scratched my head and said "maybe it's because they aren't that GOOD. Maybe it's not because people don't know they are there, but because they really don't want to do them all that much. Disney (as well as posters here) is now saying to suck it up and be happy with the leftovers.

Now go eat your peas.
mom2rtk is online now   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-21-2013, 01:29 PM   #93
shyjade
DIS Veteran

We couldn't get into our hotel room because our MagicBands wouldn't work, and the resort could not print keys to the kingdom cards the day we arrived. So not only could we not get in our room, but my card wouldn't work for charging (so I couldn't access the dining plan) or get into the park.

I don't think my complaint is unjustified. I paid for a room that nobody in my party could get into until 10:15pm and after nearly 4 hours dealing with the front desk & manager on duty. That was ridiculous!!
Old 10-21-2013, 01:40 PM   #94
2Tiggies
I am subscribing to this thread just so I can see your shirt
I like those water proof containers that hang around my neck on a lanyard

I'm going to be upfront. I have not read the entire thread, but only skimmed through it.

In response to the original post: Yes, this is a test. Initially for the test period guests who were eligible were able to opt in or opt out.

This is not the case anymore and those who are not part of the test are suffering the effects of the glitches. I know things go wrong during test periods and it can be expected. But I am dang certain that nobody who paid a few thousand bucks for a trip last year, was expecting to turn up at rope drop in the parks in October and not be able to get a FP or ride one of their favorite rides. I'm not a negative person by nature, but the attractions are an important part of our vacation. If we know in advance that we may not be able to ride our favorite rides during our trip, I will not be booking until I that we can - if we can.
2Tiggies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 01:40 PM   #95
shyjade
DIS Veteran

We couldn't get into our hotel room because our MagicBands wouldn't work, and the resort could not print keys to the kingdom cards the day we arrived. So not only could we not get in our room, but my card wouldn't work for charging (so I couldn't access the dining plan) or get into the park.

I don't think my complaint is unjustified. I paid for a room that nobody in my party could get into until 10:15pm and after nearly 4 hours dealing with the front desk & manager on duty. That was ridiculous!!
Old 10-21-2013, 01:51 PM   #96
HelenParr
DIS Veteran

This is not a defense of MDE/MB/FP+, but I've had most of these things happen well prior to MDE or the RFID chips: charging privileges randomly stopped, door would not unlock, manager on duty was less than helpful (in my opinion). I am a frequent guest, and I am sure these past mishaps were not user error.

I am curious whether these types of glitches happen more now? Sounds like yes. But that could be perception. (FP+ aside, that's just poorly designed.)

Visiting soon, and I'm convinced MBs will fail at some point. I'm not putting up with it because it is a "test". I think that's lame Disney speak for potential for poor show.

I'm putting up with it because I love WDW, and this is the new (for now). And I hope they work out the bugs and gaps. But their ability to think it through so far has not been confidence building.
HelenParr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 02:00 PM   #97
nansmama
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2rtk View Post
Yes. I hear Stitch has a short line right now.

This is all part of the new scheme. When I heard the new system described, I heard a lot about how "underutilized" some of the attractions were. I scratched my head and said "maybe it's because they aren't that GOOD. Maybe it's not because people don't know they are there, but because they really don't want to do them all that much. Disney (as well as posters here) is now saying to suck it up and be happy with the leftovers.

Now go eat your peas.
Seriously? Why the need to be snarky every single time someone says they don't care as much as you do about riding everything or riding multiple times?

Some of us really are fine with not riding stuff nine times in one day, or even at all. We have been twice in the past few years when Splash was down for maintenance. This is my son's favorite ride, but he didn't have a horrible vacation because of it. Three times we have held traditional FP-s for Test Track, it went down, and as a result we haven't ridden it yet. It didn't ruin our vacation. We have never done TSMM because we are simply too lazy to get up early and then wait in a crowd to stampede to pick up a FP. I don't blame Disney's FP system for this. I blame myself for being unwilling to do what I need to do to ride TSMM without a huge wait.

There is plenty of stuff to do other than the handful of headliner rides at each park and that's why we (my family) go. If we wanted to ride a few thrill rides over and over, we'd go to the Six Flags 15 minutes from our house. Picking out arguably the worst attraction in MK and snarkily suggesting that's the only thing you'll get to ride from now on is just being disingenuous. If you've done any research at all, if you know Disney parks at all, then you know there are plenty of opportunities to ride almost anything if you hit things at the right time, even during busy periods.

There is no evidence that Disney will hand out more FP+ slots than FP- slots once FP- disappears. If anything, knowing way ahead of time how many people will be riding on a given day will allow them to more efficiently assign cast members and load the rides. You may not be able to ride 9 times in a day anymore (and I do feel for those whose main reason for going to the parks was doing this, because I think those days are numbered) but you'll surely be able to get on a ride at least once or twice if that's really what you want to focus your planning around. You will need to adapt and plan differently, that's all.
Old 10-21-2013, 02:16 PM   #98
ktlm
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by HelenParr View Post
I am curious whether these types of glitches happen more now? Sounds like yes. But that could be perception. (FP+ aside, that's just poorly designed.)

Visiting soon, and I'm convinced MBs will fail at some point. I'm not putting up with it because it is a "test". I think that's lame Disney speak for potential for poor show.
Pretty sure the answer to that one is a yes based on the reports we heard from other guests while there. Maybe you will get lucky. As far as the MB itself, our glitches were minor. Mine did not work to admit me to DHS one morning- someone with a handheld came over within 2 minutes and fixed it. I did not have to go to Guest Services. DD's did not open the hotel room one day- mine did so there wasn't an issue. We didn't even report it as she is 7, so it isn't like she is ever alone- she just thought it was cool that she could open the door so she wanted to do it herself every time. Hers inexplicitly worked on the room door again the next day. We did not put charging privileges on ours, so I can't tell you how glitchy those are- only that we saw people in front of us in line have issues on several occasions.

I think it is just a matter of luck whether they glitch and it also seems like they glitch much less if you had a package that contained tickets than if you bought the tickets separately and had to link them. It also seemed that a lot of people who reported glitches were people who initially booked at one resort and then later changed to another resort. Now our friends arrived the day before we left, and none of their magic bands were working for the 1st 2 days of their trip. Heres a wish for pixie dust for you that your glitches are none or minor!
ktlm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 02:38 PM   #99
Mickeynutty
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disneylover99 View Post
Obviously you have not had to deal with numerous cm's and IT people giving you incorrect information. You haven't spent hours on the phone or in line at guest relations or the front desk trying to find out why someone's ticket unlinked. You have not been one of the first families at rope drop, only to find out that your daughter's MB and KTTW card don't work (again - after the problem was supposedly fixed) so you have to go to guest relations.

I'm really glad it was smooth sailing for you......but

It's not fair to insinuate that because you had an awesome experience with MB' s and FP+, that the guests may be to blame.

Totally agree!!
Mickeynutty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 02:55 PM   #100
2Tiggies
I am subscribing to this thread just so I can see your shirt
I like those water proof containers that hang around my neck on a lanyard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viva Las Disney View Post
I'm wondering if they aren't just trying to link to much information.
This statement got my attention because I think there is a lot of truth in it.

I just posted on a different thread this afternoon, not related specifically to FP+ or Magic Bands, that I think Disney is trying to test too many little add ons, and merge them to a system that is not fully functional and by no means glitch free.

I think they are trying to test too much at once but not test any one aspect thoroughly.

Why not test FP+ only or Magic Bands and the RFID system alone, first? Once that is running relatively smoothly, roll it out more widely and then start testing FP+ / Magic Bands. Once that is working well with a small test group, build it up and then roll it out. THEN add on Photopass and whatever else. None of these new features need any of the others to be tested. Magic bands could have been tested without FP+ and vice versa. But now they are trying to add so many extras onto a system that is buckling so fast they can 't keep up with ironing out the problems. At some point someone needs to be yelling stop!! Fix what you have before you add to it .... please!! They are trying to roll out multiple facets here in a few months when they could easily have done it in increments over say, a two year period
2Tiggies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 03:07 PM   #101
stinkpickle
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Tiggies View Post
Why not test FP+ only or Magic Bands and the RFID system alone, first? Once that is running relatively smoothly, roll it out more widely and then start testing FP+ / Magic Bands. Once that is working well with a small test group, build it up and then roll it out. THEN add on Photopass and whatever else. None of these new features need any of the others to be tested...
LOL! Where's the fun in that?
stinkpickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 03:19 PM   #102
mcd2745
You're only young once, but you have your whole life to be immature!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angel Ariel View Post
There is still going to be the rush to get TSMM/Soarin/TT FPs..it's just that instead of it being "if you're not there by 10:00 am, sorry you miss out because Guest A and B are on their 3rd FP for that ride along with everybody else that's been there since 7:00 am and already ridden that ride 3 times," it's going to be "if you're not up at 5-6am and online (on a very glitchy/slow website) 60 days ahead of time, you're going to miss out on getting any FP at all for those rides."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennasis View Post
With the new FP+ system you can look forward to having to wake at the crack of dawn 60 days prior to your trip to get any FP for headliners.

You know what though? I think I prefer this. So I have to get up a little earlier than I normally do for work anyway? And then I spend a few minutes and take care of my FP+'s so that when I'm actually on vacation 60 days later, I can be more relaxed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rimomma66 View Post
I might be in the minority, but I'd rather log on to my computer at home at 6 AM and make a reservation for a FP+ 60 days in advance when I'm already up getting ready for work than stand in line an hour before park opening and run like I'm in Pamplona to get a FP in the park. Then I can plan around it maybe enjoy some of the mornings at WDW a little more.
But again, I might be in the minority.

I'm right with ya - whether we're in the minority or not.

mcd2745 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 03:19 PM   #103
jillgunter
Mouseketeer

We are loving them so far! We do have plastic cards still, they have no magic band thing to get into resort gates. They are working on it.

Jill: Mom to a Disney addicted 7 year old!
jillgunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 03:26 PM   #104
kmarie99
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by nansmama View Post
Seriously? Why the need to be snarky every single time someone says they don't care as much as you do about riding everything or riding multiple times?

Some of us really are fine with not riding stuff nine times in one day, or even at all. We have been twice in the past few years when Splash was down for maintenance. This is my son's favorite ride, but he didn't have a horrible vacation because of it. Three times we have held traditional FP-s for Test Track, it went down, and as a result we haven't ridden it yet. It didn't ruin our vacation. We have never done TSMM because we are simply too lazy to get up early and then wait in a crowd to stampede to pick up a FP. I don't blame Disney's FP system for this. I blame myself for being unwilling to do what I need to do to ride TSMM without a huge wait.

There is plenty of stuff to do other than the handful of headliner rides at each park and that's why we (my family) go. If we wanted to ride a few thrill rides over and over, we'd go to the Six Flags 15 minutes from our house. Picking out arguably the worst attraction in MK and snarkily suggesting that's the only thing you'll get to ride from now on is just being disingenuous. If you've done any research at all, if you know Disney parks at all, then you know there are plenty of opportunities to ride almost anything if you hit things at the right time, even during busy periods.

There is no evidence that Disney will hand out more FP+ slots than FP- slots once FP- disappears. If anything, knowing way ahead of time how many people will be riding on a given day will allow them to more efficiently assign cast members and load the rides. You may not be able to ride 9 times in a day anymore (and I do feel for those whose main reason for going to the parks was doing this, because I think those days are numbered) but you'll surely be able to get on a ride at least once or twice if that's really what you want to focus your planning around. You will need to adapt and plan differently, that's all.
Very Well said
Old 10-21-2013, 03:36 PM   #105
Angel Ariel
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcd2745 View Post
You know what though? I think I prefer this. So I have to get up a little earlier than I normally do for work anyway? And then I spend a few minutes and take care of my FP+'s so that when I'm actually on vacation 60 days later, I can be more relaxed.
My question still remains...will it be OK if you get up at 5/6am 60 days out and find out that there are no FP+s available for TSMM? I've gotten online at 6am, 180 days out to reserve BOG for 4-7 people and have, multiple times, not been able to get an ADR at all.

I also called the F&W festival hotline exactly when it opened to reserve sweet seats for the 3D dessert party, only to spend over an hour on hold and there not be any sweet seats left when they finally took my call.

Disney has a history of setting up advanced planning, and then not having the inventory to handle the demand they've created. Just look at the wireless network as a perfect example. They've created a huge demand for the wireless/3G/4G access with MDE, and the infrastructure they have in place can't keep up - and they haven't even rolled it out to all WDW visitors yet. I don't have much confidence that FP+ will be any different, especially in more crowded times of year.

DLR: July '84 (first trip! ), July '86 (family), April '88 (Easter), August 2004 (DCA for the first time!), March 2009, April 2010 (F&W Festival!),
April 2011

WDW: July '87 (first trip to WDW!), April '93 (Easter), April '95 (Contemporary), July 2006 (Honeymoon - GF!), December 2007 (SoG),
March 2013 (SoG, our princess' first trip! ), October 2013 (SoG, F&W festival!), November 2014 (Yacht Club, F&W adults only trip!)
Angel Ariel is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: