Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-20-2013, 12:14 AM   #1
istillbelieve
Earning My Ears
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 9

1st trip and need some advice

I see these requests all the time on the board but now I am asking for the same help. Currently I am booked for 8 nights at BLT for the first of February 2014 with my family. I will be traveling with my husband, 4 yr old son, daughter turning 3 on the trip and my parents, 60ish. My kids have never been and first time as a family. We are now considering switching to AKL savannah room due to a 1500.00 savings. My husband thinks we should stay put due to walking to magic kingdom and watching fireworks from room. He dislikes crowds and thinks it will be the only way he will see the fireworks.

Basically, I want to know, how is the bus transportation from AKL to magic kingdom? Anyone ever use a car service or cabs to/from AKL? I am thinking I could afford a car service or cabs and still save money with moving us to AKL.

Any opinions would be appreciated because I have always dreamed of walking my kids to magic kingdom but I can't get the cost savings out of my head. If it helps, we were planning 3 to 4 days at magic kingdom, 2 days Epcot, 1 Hollywood studios, and 1 animal kingdom.

I appreciate any help!
istillbelieve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 12:38 AM   #2
Babsy
DIS Veteran
 
Babsy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Posts: 1,243

I would do a split trip. 4days at BLT, then 4 days at AKL. Save some money, see both AMazing resorts while convenient to the parks when you are going to them!

Perfect!
Babsy is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 10-20-2013, 12:51 AM   #3
Pakey

I'm not a rookie
I got 2 dogs. I joined the Dis.
 
Pakey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Central California
Posts: 20,097

With kids that age and only one day planned at AK I would not stay at AKL. I love both resorts AKL/AKV but it's a long ride to MK. You may want midday breaks and even with a car service, you would eat up a chunk of time traveling to/from AKL. I would stick with BLT.

I love split stays but not with 2 kids that young.
Pakey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 01:25 AM   #4
TJA
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Posts: 3,924

I would stay where you are. We've been there with kids of those ages and CR/BLT is the ultimate best place to stay given your schedule of most days at MK. You will most definitely appreciate when your kids fall asleep in strollers and you can simply walk back to BLT from MK. The monorail to Epcot -- same thing -- you can roll strollers right on the monorail and that will be like gold when your kids fall asleep. And yes watching wishes right from your room is amazing and I know I'll personally never forget what that was like! Have fun.
__________________
2003 ~ AKL
2004 ~ CR & Poly
2005 ~ BC & BWI
2006 ~ YC & BC
2007 ~ Poly & BC & CR
2008 ~ POR & WL & BC
2009 ~ CBR & BC CL
2010 ~ Poly & CR / BC CL
2011 ~ BC CL & Poly CL
2012 ~ WL & BC CL / CR CL
2013 ~ BC CL & Poly CL & WL CL
2014 ~ Poly CL TPV & BC CL, Poly CL TPV again
TJA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 09:22 AM   #5
Dudetrue
Mouseketeer
 
Dudetrue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 114

Taxi Service is wonderful

I agree with other readers that you may want to stay at a monorail resort. We used the taxi last time several times and realized how nice it was for moving around from resort to resort. It cost us about $25 or so to go from Wilderness Lodge to AKL last year without tip and they are nice big minivans. No waiting for buses. They are waiting right outside the door to the resort. No need to call, usually. However, the nice thing about staying where you are is going over to the other resorts for the adults. If your husband hates crowds like mine does, he will love the ability to take the water taxi over to the campground for a quiet beach to watch the water parades and maybe do a nighttime horse drawn carriage ride. My husband needed to get away from the crowds often. I would also schedule a breakfast or dinner at Grand Floridian. It's such a nice gracious resort with a not so loud feel as the Contemporary. The resorts are perfect for a spot of sand for the kids to play while parents sit and enjoy the view and the sunshine. Little overwhelmed kids are stressful for all. When my daughter was that age we spent hours letting her play on the playground and see the ponies at the campground. Go for whatever makes everyone the most relaxed. You will be glad you did.
Dudetrue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 09:27 AM   #6
Wood Nymph
DIS Veteran
 
Wood Nymph's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Chicago suburbs
Posts: 5,121

BLT will fit your needs very well, especially since your DH wants to be able to see fireworks from the room.

But since you mentioned that you were concerned about the cost, have you considered staying at the WL? The room prices are usually similar to AKL and the boat to MK is great! You can't see the fireworks from any of the villa rooms but could watch them from the beach or hop on the boat to CR to see them from there. The boat to CR is a five minute ride and the boat to MK takes about twelve minutes. It is very convenient to the MK without the high prices of the monorail resort.
__________________
~ Sue



Next up: WL - Jan 24 to 29, 2015; YC - April 15 - 21, 2015
WL - Oct 22-27, 2014, YC - Sept 24-28, 2014; BC - March 19th to 25th, 2014, WL - Jan 23 - 27, 2014; WL - Nov 30 - Dec 5, 2013; WL - Feb 5 -11, 2013; BC - April 2011, BW - January 2009, BCV - 2007, 2005, 2003, Poly - 2002;
BC - 2001, 1998, 1994, 1992; YC - 1997; GF - 1989, 1988; Poly - 1987, 1986, 1985; CR - 1981, 1980; offsite - 1982, 1976, 1973
Wood Nymph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 09:31 AM   #7
mevelandry
DIS Veteran
 
mevelandry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Montreal
Posts: 1,069

Quote:
Originally Posted by istillbelieve View Post
I see these requests all the time on the board but now I am asking for the same help. Currently I am booked for 8 nights at BLT for the first of February 2014 with my family. I will be traveling with my husband, 4 yr old son, daughter turning 3 on the trip and my parents, 60ish. My kids have never been and first time as a family. We are now considering switching to AKL savannah room due to a 1500.00 savings. My husband thinks we should stay put due to walking to magic kingdom and watching fireworks from room. He dislikes crowds and thinks it will be the only way he will see the fireworks.

Basically, I want to know, how is the bus transportation from AKL to magic kingdom? Anyone ever use a car service or cabs to/from AKL? I am thinking I could afford a car service or cabs and still save money with moving us to AKL.

Any opinions would be appreciated because I have always dreamed of walking my kids to magic kingdom but I can't get the cost savings out of my head. If it helps, we were planning 3 to 4 days at magic kingdom, 2 days Epcot, 1 Hollywood studios, and 1 animal kingdom.

I appreciate any help!
The bus ride from AKL to MK is about 16-18 minutes. Very fast. It's even better with other parks.

You can watch the fireworks from the beach at Polynesian and it's not crowded.

You could also go for a split stay and keep AKL for you days at Epcot, HS and AK.
__________________


Oct 2011 - Disney's Port Orleans French Quarter (Honeymoon) / May 2012 - Disney's Polynesian Resort / December 2012 - Disney's Animal Kingdom Lodge / October 2013 - Disney's Coronado Springs / April 2014 - Hilton Grand Vacations Suites on Int Dr, Universal's Royal Pacific Resort & Wyndham Lake Buena Vista (Downtown Disney Hotel) / Nov 2014 - Disney's Port Orleans Riverside, Yacht Club, Animal Kingdom Lodge, Coronado Springs and Caribbean Beach.
mevelandry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 09:32 AM   #8
mevelandry
DIS Veteran
 
mevelandry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Montreal
Posts: 1,069

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pakey View Post
With kids that age and only one day planned at AK I would not stay at AKL. I love both resorts AKL/AKV but it's a long ride to MK. You may want midday breaks and even with a car service, you would eat up a chunk of time traveling to/from AKL. I would stick with BLT.

I love split stays but not with 2 kids that young.
IMO 16-18 minutes is not a long ride...
__________________


Oct 2011 - Disney's Port Orleans French Quarter (Honeymoon) / May 2012 - Disney's Polynesian Resort / December 2012 - Disney's Animal Kingdom Lodge / October 2013 - Disney's Coronado Springs / April 2014 - Hilton Grand Vacations Suites on Int Dr, Universal's Royal Pacific Resort & Wyndham Lake Buena Vista (Downtown Disney Hotel) / Nov 2014 - Disney's Port Orleans Riverside, Yacht Club, Animal Kingdom Lodge, Coronado Springs and Caribbean Beach.
mevelandry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 09:34 AM   #9
Dudetrue
Mouseketeer
 
Dudetrue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 114

Love WL!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wood Nymph View Post
BLT will fit your needs very well, especially since your DH wants to be able to see fireworks from the room.

But since you mentioned that you were concerned about the cost, have you considered staying at the WL? The room prices are usually similar to AKL and the boat to MK is great! You can't see the fireworks from any of the villa rooms but could watch them from the beach or hop on the boat to CR to see them from there. The boat to CR is a five minute ride and the boat to MK takes about twelve minutes. It is very convenient to the MK without the high prices of the monorail resort.
This a great idea as well. It may seem like it is a longer way from the MK but in reality it is very close and the bus service is wonderful along with the water taxi which is fun for kids and not slow at all. This is one of the nicer resorts for kids and parents who like to be close to the action but still like the peacefulness of natural surroundings. I loved the piped in cricket music and found it relaxing. The quick service meals are very good. Also, one suggestion, we opted for room service breakfast early with fruit and mickey waffles. We found it was great because the early morning crowds in the restaurant started us off too loudly. We could eat and get ready in peace and it is not very expensive.
Dudetrue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 09:52 AM   #10
eliza61

We're Americans, we're survivors
 
eliza61's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Philadelphia PA
Posts: 18,942

Quote:
Originally Posted by mevelandry View Post
The bus ride from AKL to MK is about 16-18 minutes. Very fast. It's even better with other parks.

You can watch the fireworks from the beach at Polynesian and it's not crowded.

You could also go for a split stay and keep AKL for you days at Epcot, HS and AK.
Wow, what time of year did you go? We stayed at kidadi village at AKL and never again without a car. Now we went late August we is a bit crowded but it was a 30 minute ride every single time. every time. We enjoyed it especially since we had a savannah view but I will never stay there again.

I too would look into WL. My kids loved it and we especially loved the boat to MK.
__________________
"He who dies with the most toys is still dead"
eliza61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 09:57 AM   #11
Mousemommy1
DIS Veteran
 
Mousemommy1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: NH
Posts: 11,202

Quote:
Originally Posted by eliza61 View Post
Wow, what time of year did you go? We stayed at kidadi village at AKL and never again without a car. Now we went late August we is a bit crowded but it was a 30 minute ride every single time. every time. We enjoyed it especially since we had a savannah view but I will never stay there again.

I too would look into WL. My kids loved it and we especially loved the boat to MK.
Are you talking actual ride or waiting time too? Because I've purposely done this ride on my past two trips (trying to decide if I'd like to stay there) and the actual ride was exactly 16 minutes to MK. Adding in the wait time, then yes, it was probably about 1/2 hour.
__________________
(DH) (ME) (DD10) (DD8) (DS Due 1/12/15!!)



PAST TRIPS:
JUL 1985 OFFSITE • JUL 1989 OFFSITE • MAR 2000 ASMO • SEP 2000 ASMU • SEP 2002 ASSP • NOV 2009 POP • FEB 2011 CBR • JUL 2012 WL CL • APR 2013 YC CL • SEP 2013 POFQ • AUG 2014 BC CL
Mousemommy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 10:12 AM   #12
disnut8
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Brasleton, GA
Posts: 15,467

Quote:
Originally Posted by eliza61 View Post
Wow, what time of year did you go? We stayed at kidadi village at AKL and never again without a car. Now we went late August we is a bit crowded but it was a 30 minute ride every single time. every time. We enjoyed it especially since we had a savannah view but I will never stay there again.

I too would look into WL. My kids loved it and we especially loved the boat to MK.
This was compared to another poster's 18-20 minute ride.

I just wanted to point out that a "long ride" or "not that long ride" is extremely subjective to each person. I'll give an example - my husband flew north from the Atlanta area to spend a week with his mother. She was driving him back to her house after picking him up at the BWI airport. They were going 30 MPH around lunchtime. My mother-in-law apologized profusely for the "rush hour jams". My husband just laughed and said, "we are moving so no big deal". One person thought it was horrible, one person thought it was fine.
disnut8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 02:24 PM   #13
mevelandry
DIS Veteran
 
mevelandry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Montreal
Posts: 1,069

Quote:
Originally Posted by eliza61 View Post
Wow, what time of year did you go? We stayed at kidadi village at AKL and never again without a car. Now we went late August we is a bit crowded but it was a 30 minute ride every single time. every time. We enjoyed it especially since we had a savannah view but I will never stay there again.

I too would look into WL. My kids loved it and we especially loved the boat to MK.
First week-end of december. Moderate crowds too, I'd say.
__________________


Oct 2011 - Disney's Port Orleans French Quarter (Honeymoon) / May 2012 - Disney's Polynesian Resort / December 2012 - Disney's Animal Kingdom Lodge / October 2013 - Disney's Coronado Springs / April 2014 - Hilton Grand Vacations Suites on Int Dr, Universal's Royal Pacific Resort & Wyndham Lake Buena Vista (Downtown Disney Hotel) / Nov 2014 - Disney's Port Orleans Riverside, Yacht Club, Animal Kingdom Lodge, Coronado Springs and Caribbean Beach.
mevelandry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 02:26 PM   #14
mevelandry
DIS Veteran
 
mevelandry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Montreal
Posts: 1,069

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mousemommy1 View Post
Are you talking actual ride or waiting time too? Because I've purposely done this ride on my past two trips (trying to decide if I'd like to stay there) and the actual ride was exactly 16 minutes to MK. Adding in the wait time, then yes, it was probably about 1/2 hour.
I got the same. Waiting 5 to 10 minutes each time, ride 16 and 18 minutes...
__________________


Oct 2011 - Disney's Port Orleans French Quarter (Honeymoon) / May 2012 - Disney's Polynesian Resort / December 2012 - Disney's Animal Kingdom Lodge / October 2013 - Disney's Coronado Springs / April 2014 - Hilton Grand Vacations Suites on Int Dr, Universal's Royal Pacific Resort & Wyndham Lake Buena Vista (Downtown Disney Hotel) / Nov 2014 - Disney's Port Orleans Riverside, Yacht Club, Animal Kingdom Lodge, Coronado Springs and Caribbean Beach.
mevelandry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 02:59 PM   #15
meredith1
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 894

We stayed at Contemporary Resort on our first trip and it was beyond nice to have the advantage of walking to and from Magic Kingdom. Our kids are young (ages 5, 3 and 3) and there were many times when we just needed to get back to our room quickly, without a 30 or 40 minute bus ride.

We did use cab service, especially to Animal Kingdom, because it is a LONG way away from everything else. It seems that anywhere we went it was about 20 bucks with tip one way.

My vote would be to stay put where you are for your first visit. OR you could do a split stay. Use BLT for your MK and Epcot days and AKL for you AK and DHS days.
__________________
Dec, 2011-Contemorary Resort/TPV
Dec, 2013-Grand Floridian/TPV

DD 5 yrs twin DD & DS 3 yrs
meredith1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:24 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.