Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-18-2013, 12:56 PM   #1
mom2kando
Earning My Ears

No park trip July AKL or BC

We're celebrating our 10th anniversary this July and want to do something nice. WE have two little ones who will be 8 and 5 in July. We would like to stay away from the parks if possible and lay low at one of the resorts (knowing our kids it will be too hot and crowded for the parks and we've been before and will be back again after this trip)

I think we'll do one of the villas through renting DVC points.

Would you stay at Beach Club (awesome pool/water play) or Animal Kingdom Lodge (kids love animals/learning new things). Also we're Veg and the food at AK appeals to us. We'd be 5 nights.

TIA!

Last edited by mom2kando; 10-18-2013 at 01:15 PM.
mom2kando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 01:00 PM   #2
Wood Nymph
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2kando View Post
We're celebrating our 10th anniversary this July and want to do something nice. WE have two little ones who will be 8 and 5 in July. We would like to stay away from the parks if possible and lay low at one of the resorts (knowing our kids it will be too hot and crowded for the parks and we've been before and will be back again after this trip)

I think we'll do one of the villas through renting DVC points.

Would you stay at Beach Club (awesome pool/water play) or Animal Kingdom (kids love animals/learning new things). Also we're Veg and the food at AK appeals to us. We'd be 5 nights.

TIA!
I would pick the AKL. It would be too hard for me personally to be at the BC, right next to Epcot, so close that you can hear the fireworks and even see the highest ones from some locations, and not have park tickets. AKL is awesome and the vegetarian choices are great.

Next up: WL - Oct 22 - 27, 2014
BC - March 19th to 25th, 2014, WL - Jan 23 - 27, 2014; WL - Nov 30 - Dec 5, 2013; WL - Feb 5 -11, 2013; BC - April 2011, BW - January 2009, BCV - 2007, 2005, 2003, Poly - 2002;
BC - 2001, 1998, 1994, 1992; YC - 1997; GF - 1989, 1988; Poly - 1987, 1986, 1985; CR - 1981, 1980; offsite - 1982, 1976, 1973
Wood Nymph is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-18-2013, 01:22 PM   #3
ArwenMarie
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2kando View Post
Would you stay at Beach Club (awesome pool/water play) or Animal Kingdom Lodge (kids love animals/learning new things). Also we're Veg and the food at AK appeals to us. We'd be 5 nights.

TIA!
Just my experience from BC this past summer, with kids around the same age as yours (well maybe a year older)...Stormalong Bay was a pain in the neck for us. The slide was so annoying the way it was so far from where you come out, you have to cross the main sidewalk. The whole pool area was SO crowded, and this was the last week of August. The layout is confusing. I don't want to discourage you, but we were disappointed in it and would have preferred a more normal pool.

From what I saw, and from chatting with people on here about it, SAB is an awesome pool if your kids are a bit older than ours were and are strong swimmers.

Just my 2 cents! I'd go with AKL if I were you, especially if the food appeals to you more over there.

ETA: It would also be impossible for me to stay at BC and not walk over to Epcot every day lol

Last edited by ArwenMarie; 10-18-2013 at 01:29 PM.
ArwenMarie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 01:51 PM   #4
DisneyRegulars
DIS Veteran

May I ask why you want to be on Disney property if you are not going to go to the parks? If you are willing to rent dvC points, have you considered Disney's Vero Beach Resort? I think I would choose there to get that nice Disney feel without the temptation of the parks nearby.

Trip report from our first DVC trip: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2864556
Plus our Anniversary Vacation: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2954701
Trip report with a potty training toddler: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2987412
I survived a trip with MIL: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3040750
A Magic Kingdom Ultimate Tour Adventure http://www.disboards.com/showpost.ph...92&postcount=1
First trip with Magic Bands http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3170056
Post Holiday Trip Report http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3201404
Sept '03 (All Star Sports, DH's first trip) || March '04 (Travelodge) || March '05 (Star Island) || XMAS '06 (All Star Vacation Home) || March '07 (POP, Deluxe Dining Plan) || March '09 (POP) || June '09 Disney Land || April '11 (All Star Vacation Home, DS's first trip-14m) || January '12 (OKW, first DVC trip) || July '12 (Boardwalk, Anniversary Trip) || Sept '12 (AKV) || Jan '13 (AKV) || July '13 (SSR, Anniversary Trip) || September '13 (SSR) || January '14 (Boardwalk, AKV)
DisneyRegulars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 01:54 PM   #5
mickeynut1
DIS Veteran

I agree with the pp's and would choose AKL. We've stayed at both resorts and while we did like the BC, I think AKL is quieter and a little more laid back and would be great for a resort only trip. Plus Mara is great for quick CS meals/snacks, while the BC has very limited options, IMO. Good luck.

Country Inn & Suites LBV June 2001 - CBR July 2002 - BC December 2003 - WL CL Oct/Nov 2004 - WL September 2006 - All Star Vacation Homes March 2007 -Poly September 2007 - All Star Vacation Homes March 2008 - AKL/GF SL/WL January 2010 - AKL/GF December 2010 - GF RPC May 2011
mickeynut1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 03:12 PM   #6
mom2kando
Earning My Ears

Thank you for the great advice. I think we will really consider AKL.
I hadn't really thought of Vero Beach-I just remember all of the fun we have had at Disney resorts/pools (campfires/movies/pool/lobby games etc) which is why we wanted to do a Disney resort. We'll be driving and Vero Beach is another 2 hours I think? There is one in one of the carolina's right- but not ON the beach. I just love the disney magic- the idea of watching the animals, etc.
mom2kando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 03:20 PM   #7
kmb584
DIS Veteran

If I had to choose between AKL and BC for a regular Disney trip, it'd be AKL. I positively love that resort and its amenities, not to mention having an African savanna in my "backyard".

For a trip where parks are going to be excluded, I'd opt for BC. Yes, you'll be close to both EP and DHS and therefore the temptation to enter one of the parks, but there is truly so much more to do in the Epcot resort area compared to AKL. You'll have a ton more dining and shopping options, you'll be able to see the fireworks, and I think it will give you more of an overall feeling of being in WDW. The experience at AKL is incredible but you'll be dependent upon the bus system if you're planning to head off of the resort grounds.

Me (29) DD (5)
"It's kind of fun to do the impossible." - Walt Disney
kmb584 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: