Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-14-2014, 10:58 AM   #1081
hstrickland
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jewels1916 View Post
Quick, someone talk me out of switching to a theme park view from a standard view! Or into it....although that will take much less coaxing.

Courtney
I'm all about a view...while technically you don't spend excessive amounts of time on a balcony, I just can't help myself. Love waking up to the MK or Bay Lake or animals...take your pick

I didn't help, did I??

Quote:
Originally Posted by katieam1 View Post
Hi All!! I am coming to the one thread I think people will understand the most lol!! I am going back and forth about which resort to choose. Usually I do not have this problem because we are DVC and usually I book BLT. I do change my ADR way too much so I guess I am a changer on that. Anyways, we are going in May and just booked this trip so BLT is not available on the times we are going so I started by booking AKV Jambo House. Then decided well Boardwalk villas are available maybe it would be better booking there to be closer to two parks. We have never done BWV so I decided well maybe going where we have stayed before is a better idea because we know where everything is, we know how long it takes to get to each park generally and we liked it, we like the food there. I like the idea of Jambo house where everything is pretty close (food court bus stop, shops, etc) especially since I am pregnant when I go back to the resort I just want to be back quickly so I can put my feet up. However, now I am looking at the DVC site and Wilderness Lodge is available during our week.... We have never stayed there but we go pretty much every trip for some kind of meal because we like the food and love the resort. We also love all the restaurants on the monorail line and even staying at AKV we are planning on meals like Ohana, Chef Mickey's, the Wave, Kona. What would you do? I have waitlisted BLT but I am realistic too because I have waitlisted BLT before and it never came through, so I know the chances are not good with that. It could be because I am pregnant I am more undecided but I can not choose.. Anyone done all of these and could give me advice on what you would choose? Boardwalk the only room type available is One bedroom Garden/Pool View so I feel like if it was Boardwalk view it would be an easier decision but maybe not I am not sure lol.
Wish I could be of assistance, but we've never done a villa....booked them, but rebooked a room instead LOVE AKL, WL and CR, though...all great resorts. My only drawback with the AKL is the distance from all the parks.

Hope all goes well with your pregnancy!

Happy Planning!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mousemommy1 View Post
Ha! No help here!

Resort/view snob, you!

DH & Me DS 13 DD 8 DS 7
CR x 4 - WL x 2 - GF - ASMo - PolyCL - FW x 3- AKL CL - Dream - POR - ASMu - WL CL
hstrickland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 11:02 AM   #1082
pas130
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixarmom View Post

Pas, we've never seen Fantasmic! either - gasp! Can't give up our evening in/around Epcot for it. We did give up one Epcot night last year for BOG dinner and Wishes, but can't bring ourselves to do that for Fantasmic! I'm thinking of giving the kids the option of going over to DHS after our San Angel dinner in March.
I am thinking for our arrival night perhaps

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koh1977 View Post
No BFF and her family for the possible quick July weekend trip... :-/ I am starting to doubt that it is a good idea for us as well... Although DH mentioned a Hilton Grand Vacations deal to Orlando for about the same length of time...he didn't elaborate on whether he would entertain the idea or not though...

DD put in her two cents yesterday though without realizing it...she was pouting and all sad and sulky. When I asked her what was wrong, she said she wanted to go to Disney World. Lol.

DH is sick right now, so the subject hasn't been discussed yet. Maybe this week??
Hope DH feels better soon. Sorry BFF can't go, for the GF rate I would do onsite. I got that call from Hilton as well...that's a better deal for a SeaWorld trip IMHO...

Quote:
Originally Posted by hstrickland View Post

Pas - BC?? Right? I love reading about your decision process...and changes. Puts a smile on my face
Still BC...BUT...changed stuff around....Beach before Beach Club, AND I added CL back on. I got a small scholarship for school for my GPA, so as a reward....CONCIERGE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparkly View Post
Because Disney UK already has prices up for March 2015, I'm starting to price up our next holiday. If we also want to do Universal, we'll need a good deal on a Disney hotel. But I'm not sure we'll want to do a value after staying at a mod. Which value has the quietest possible rooms, as that's my main concern about that level of resort?
We've honestly never had a noise issue at the values...only CBR during cheer nationals If you get Standard, you'll be further from pool and food court so that should be quieter
Quote:
Originally Posted by jennyjinx3 View Post
Waving hi to everyone and hope your Monday was a good one!

Quote:
Hi All!! I am coming to the one thread I think people will understand the most lol!! I am going back and forth about which resort to choose. Usually I do not have this problem because we are DVC and usually I book BLT. I do change my ADR way too much so I guess I am a changer on that. Anyways, we are going in May and just booked this trip so BLT is not available on the times we are going so I started by booking AKV Jambo House. Then decided well Boardwalk villas are available maybe it would be better booking there to be closer to two parks. We have never done BWV so I decided well maybe going where we have stayed before is a better idea because we know where everything is, we know how long it takes to get to each park generally and we liked it, we like the food there. I like the idea of Jambo house where everything is pretty close (food court bus stop, shops, etc) especially since I am pregnant when I go back to the resort I just want to be back quickly so I can put my feet up. However, now I am looking at the DVC site and Wilderness Lodge is available during our week.... We have never stayed there but we go pretty much every trip for some kind of meal because we like the food and love the resort. We also love all the restaurants on the monorail line and even staying at AKV we are planning on meals like Ohana, Chef Mickey's, the Wave, Kona. What would you do? I have waitlisted BLT but I am realistic too because I have waitlisted BLT before and it never came through, so I know the chances are not good with that. It could be because I am pregnant I am more undecided but I can not choose.. Anyone done all of these and could give me advice on what you would choose? Boardwalk the only room type available is One bedroom Garden/Pool View so I feel like if it was Boardwalk view it would be an easier decision but maybe not I am not sure lol.
And congrats on your pregnancy. Honestly, if you have more plans in the MK area...do VWL. There's the boat right to CR and VOILA you are on the monorail! However, if you have lots of Epcot plans BW would be super convenient to DHS and Epcot! And AKV are beautiful, but you lose the convenience.....so if more of your time is MK/MK resort centered VWL! If not BWV! The GV/Pool view are peaceful and beautiful....BTW WDWKOOK does a great job with both resort threads...Happy planning!!

Quote:
Quick, someone talk me out of switching to a theme park view from a standard view! Or into it....although that will take much less coaxing.

Courtney
NO! At poly??? Construction....stick with standard, save the $$$ for some dolewhips!

JungleCruiser*Sarah,forever in my heart*
pas130 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-14-2014, 11:27 AM   #1083
Mousemommy1
DIS Veteran

We got our Disney stock today!!!

PAST TRIPS:
JUL 1985 OFFSITE • JUL 1989 OFFSITE • MAR 2000 ASMO • SEP 2000 ASMU • SEP 2002 ASSP • NOV 2009 POP • FEB 2011 CBR • JUL 2012 WL CL • APR 2013 YC CL • SEP 2013 POFQ
Mousemommy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 11:56 AM   #1084
dimndgal1
One little spark...

HELLO ALL RCers!

I had quoted and replied to a tons of the goings on I missed while away these last few days and (of course) lost it all! So, I'll try to summarize:

to those dealing with loss and illness... it's always hard but this time of year especially

for all the crazy weather: DD went back to school one day after New Year's then had the Friday off and a delayed start the following Monday. I just wish it would snow or not - Maryland is not good at handling 'kind of snowy'.

for some of the RCs I have seen and even those just thinking!!! I also vote split-stay if you can do it! We did it last trip and it was great - experienced POR - Royal Room and YC! Loved them both for different reasons!

pixarmom - We stayed at the first mansion (or last depending which way you go) at POR and 'far' seemed relative. We were closer to the main building than my in-laws who were in AB but they were closer to the pool. That said, it was a matter of minutes to walk to/across the bridge to the main area and grab a snack or go for a swim. We filled our mugs 3 times a day so it wasn't inconvenient at all. Also, the busses went both clock and counterclockwise with no rhyme or reason. We actually just walked to the depot at the main building so we could grab a snack and a refill on the way.

If it helps, DH said he felt like it was quicker to walk from our room to the main lobby at POR than it was to walk from our room to SAB at YC (we were really close to the Swolphin side of YC facing the quiet pool). It may have felt quicker because the scenery was so neat to look at (DD loved walking over the river) but that's from him!

------------------------------------------------------------

Tomorrow is surgery day! (since I can't dance for awhile, he can)
I have spent the last 2 weeks running around trying to get all my ducks in line (surgery is 80 miles away around the DC Beltway so getting to/from the hospital is a joy). Also, DH has been working overdrive so he can take max time off - he's military and on their schedule so he tried to get his stuff ahead so they won't bug him. I know he'll probably end up doing a couple half-days next week but that's better than the 10-12 they like to steal him for.

My little teeny Peanut is 6 months old! Where did the time go??? She is absolutely in love with Pete from MMC (going for the bad guys already) and loves watching her older sister dance to the music from Frozen (which I have seen three times now).

I promise to be back in the loop Thursday (I figure tomorrow will be spent in la-la land) (hopefully!)!!! So far, still at WL though I have changed room types to SV and then back to WV-bunk. Trying to convince DH we need CL but it's been a hard sell.

LOTS of and to everyone!!!!
'88-1st WDW trip * '92, '95, '98-DW day trips * '03-DW Spring Break * '05-'06-AP WDW (honeymoon & more!) * '08-1st DL trip * '10-DL (Paradise Pier, Club 33) '11-Spontaneous DW (SoG) * Jun 2012 - Week in WDW (POR/YC!!!) * Sep 2014-MNSSHP/LO's First Trip! (WL) * Christmas '14-In-law-mageddon
(me) (DH) (DD-7) (DD-1) (Bailey) (Aristotle)
dimndgal1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 12:23 PM   #1085
pas130
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by dimndgal1 View Post
Tomorrow is surgery day!
and well wishes tomorrow!!. I know Thursday will stink, so I'll be checking for you!

Old 01-14-2014, 12:31 PM   #1086
gwynne
DIS Veteran

Dimndgal-Sending you lots of get well wishes after your surgery.

Pas and Pixarmom- We haven't seen Fantasmic, either. I think I need to make time for that this fall.

MM-Congrats on your stock!

Hope everyone has a good Tues.
Tomorrow is American Idol night! It's that time again!

TY Kook!
gwynne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 12:36 PM   #1087
pas130
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwynne View Post
Pas and Pixarmom- We haven't seen Fantasmic, either. I think I need to make time for that this fall.
We are some serious slackers
I REALLY need to get back to my schoolwork....

So....for 2 itty bitty nights......what's everyone's thoughts?

After we drive up from the gulf coast...
2 nights Universal (keep hubby happy)
OR ease the family into WDW with 2 fantabulous nights at say.....GF or WL (I'm ducking from my husband....LOL) then go over to BC CL for some serious WDWing

Old 01-14-2014, 01:08 PM   #1088
Missoutandabout
DIS Veteran

Hello Ladies!

Quote:
DS and I did NOT like Dinosaur or Everest, so yeah...I have a former student in the Lion King, and we almost got to it last year, but then the rain started and the kids were tired and ready to go back to the resort...
You managed to get him on Everest; that's a HUGE step. No way I could even talk Miss M into it, though she does love listening to the screams from Flametree BBQ.

Quote:
We especially prefer it from 11 pm - 3 am time period....yes, we are that crazy family, which explains why we aren't up until 10 am on vacation.
Starbucks to the rescue! Not sure I could make it to 3am... even with some doses of caffeine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennyjinx3 View Post
Miss: Thanks for all the tips!! love ya!

Miss: arrive after 6 pm....check!
My pleasure. We'll see how the "arriving late" thing goes for us... sounds good in THEORY!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pas130 View Post
We love the boats! But how are the lines coming back? I wasn't sure if it would be quicker to walk
If you don't see a boat there or coming, and the line is huge on the dock, it's normally quicker to walk. We were able to beat the boat all but once because of how they drop off. The boats are nice though, either way you can't go wrong.

Quote:
My DH is "sick of the castle" but he thought the MK snow and Wishes were awesome...there's hope yet! The kids LOVED Wishes, and I really think they will love Fantasmic! DS5 loves anything Mickey!!
Oh, he's gonna LOVE it then -- Mickey galore in Fantasmic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixarmom View Post
YAY Miss - you're awesome! This is exactly the information I needed! Thank you! Thank you!! I think I'll request Parterre to avoid the construction, and I'll just be ready to ask the drivers at the stops. Really excited about this stay. Thanks again!
Happy to help.

Quote:
Wish I could be of assistance, but we've never done a villa....booked them, but rebooked a room instead LOVE AKL, WL and CR, though...all great resorts. My only drawback with the AKL is the distance from all the parks.
Every time you mention AKL, I think about your spectacular review. Then I get to thinking about how much we enjoyed it there...

If it weren't for the dang Flower & Garden with the added food and libations, we'd probably be staying there at AKL.

Quote:
We got our Disney stock today!!!
Woot!

Quote:
Tomorrow is surgery day!
Sending you good vibes for a speedy recovery. Ugh, the Beltway! Don't miss driving on it... at all.

Quote:
We had some snow again this morning. Hopefully it doesn't find its way to MI. Enjoy your day, Ginny!

Quote:

OR ease the family into WDW with 2 fantabulous nights at say.....GF or WL (I'm ducking from my husband....LOL) then go over to BC CL for some serious WDWing
Hmm, it'll be beach, 2 nights somewhere then BC CL? I'd opt for Universal (even though I've never been, LOL!) to keep the hubby happy.

Whatever y'all decide, it'll be great.

Last edited by Missoutandabout; 01-14-2014 at 01:16 PM.
Missoutandabout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 01:17 PM   #1089
Koh1977
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Dimndgal-Sending you lots of get well wishes after your surgery. Pas and Pixarmom- We haven't seen Fantasmic, either. I think I need to make time for that this fall. MM-Congrats on your stock! Hope everyone has a good Tues. Tomorrow is American Idol night! It's that time again!
That's right!! PLL tonight and Idol tomorrow! Woohoo!!
Pre 2001 too many to count / December 2001 offsite / April 2004 offsite / August 2008 offsite / August 2009 offsite / August 2010 Poly / September 2012 BC / August 2013 Poly / July 2014 WL CL or Poly CL/WL or...
Koh1977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 01:27 PM   #1090
Koh1977
DIS Veteran

Quote:
We are some serious slackers I REALLY need to get back to my schoolwork.... So....for 2 itty bitty nights......what's everyone's thoughts? After we drive up from the gulf coast... 2 nights Universal (keep hubby happy) OR ease the family into WDW with 2 fantabulous nights at say.....GF or WL (I'm ducking from my husband....LOL) then go over to BC CL for some serious WDWing
I second Janet's idea about Universal...it's all about keeping DH happy, isn't it? :-)

Hmmm...now how to bring up a $3000 quick trip to Disney instead of the budget saving long weekend trips to Chicago and St. Louis...?

Oh, and Jeanette - I wouldn't stay offsite like that! :-) not when I can stay at the grand!! ;-)
Pre 2001 too many to count / December 2001 offsite / April 2004 offsite / August 2008 offsite / August 2009 offsite / August 2010 Poly / September 2012 BC / August 2013 Poly / July 2014 WL CL or Poly CL/WL or...
Old 01-14-2014, 01:39 PM   #1091
jennyjinx3
DIS Veteran

Quote:
[
Happy Planning! I know y'all are excited about POR! Not long now!!!
goodvibes

Quote:
Hmmm...I would say to try BWV! It is a fantastic location that cannot be beat! We loved it over there.

Quote:

Courtney
If finances allow, the magical the better in my opinion! Go for it!!

Quote:
Ha! No help here!
Quote:
I'm all about a view...while technically you don't spend excessive amounts of time on a balcony, I just can't help myself. Love waking up to the MK or Bay Lake or animals...take your pick I didn't help, did I??
You two kill me!!

Quote:
Still BC...BUT...changed stuff around....Beach before Beach Club, AND I added CL back on. I got a small scholarship for school for my GPA, so as a reward....CONCIERGE
I love how you just snuck that in there...way to go Jeanette! All your hard work is paying off!

Quote:
We got our Disney stock today!
Nice!

Quote:
Tomorrow is surgery day! (since I can't dance for awhile, he can)
I have spent the last 2 weeks running around trying to get all my ducks in line (surgery is 80 miles away around the DC Beltway so getting to/from the hospital is a joy). Also, DH has been working overdrive so he can take max time off - he's military and on their schedule so he tried to get his stuff ahead so they won't bug him. I know he'll probably end up doing a couple half-days next week but that's better than the 10-12 they like to steal him for.
Oh best wishes and good luck tomorrow, we will all be thinking about you.

Quote:
Dimndgal-Sending you lots of get well wishes after your surgery.

Pas and Pixarmom- We haven't seen Fantasmic, either. I think I need to make time for that this fall

MM-Congrats on your stock!

Tomorrow is American Idol night! It's that time again!
American Idol....yay! Hi Ginny!

Quote:

Well normally I would say do GF or WL, but lately I am trying to keep my DH happy too so I say do the 2 nights at Universal for your sweetie.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Missoutandabout View Post
Hello Ladies!

You managed to get him on Everest; that's a HUGE step. No way I could even talk Miss M into it, though she does love listening to the screams from Flametree BBQ.
I am like Miss M, Everest is scary!! I did it once that was enough.

Quote:
I second Janet's idea about Universal...it's all about keeping DH happy, isn't it? :-)

Hmmm...now how to bring up a $3000 quick trip to Disney instead of the budget saving long weekend trips to Chicago and St. Louis...?

Oh, and Jeanette - I wouldn't stay offsite like that! :-) not when I can stay at the grand!! ;-)
Sigh, really those budget saving "small" trips usually don't turn out to be so budget friendly. At least that is what I have found. Disney usually ends up cheaper for us! LOL
Old 01-14-2014, 02:02 PM   #1092
jennyjinx3
DIS Veteran

I just noticed the DCL 3 night on Mar 6 has its discounted rates out...and asked DH is we could do 2 nights POR, 3 night cruise, and then 3 nights at POR again. And wait for it....he said to price it out!!

Wasn't expecting that one....stay tuned!!
Old 01-14-2014, 02:14 PM   #1093
Koh1977
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I second Janet's idea about Universal...it's all about keeping DH happy, isn't it? :-) Hmmm...now how to bring up a $3000 quick trip to Disney instead of the budget saving long weekend trips to Chicago and St. Louis...? Oh, and Jeanette - I wouldn't stay offsite like that! :-) not when I can stay at the grand!! ;-)
That includes using all of our United miles, but...it also means adding a night - 5 days/4 nights!!

Last edited by Koh1977; 01-14-2014 at 03:02 PM.
Old 01-14-2014, 03:17 PM   #1094
Koh1977
DIS Veteran

Quote:
That includes using all of our United miles, but...it also means adding a night - 5 days/4 nights!!
Just looking at food costs now and trying to hit some of the favorite character meals, but also less expensive TS and QS meals...thinking with a late breakfast ADR, we could get by with 2 meals a day...? But I can't get rid of CP or CM or a princess meal (thinking Akershus over CRT)...
Old 01-14-2014, 04:30 PM   #1095
Missoutandabout
DIS Veteran

I was sitting there wondering what we should do for Miss M's birthday dinner: no reservations for BoG, plans out the window for ordering another custom MK cake (dang, that was TASTY!), Yachtsman was available, Via Napoli available. Hrm, what to do... the wheels started turning.

Then my husband, voice of reason, up and says, "You know? She'd be just as happy with dinner at Beaches and Cream. If you gave her the choice between Yachtsman, Beaches and Cream or Via Napoli, that's what she'd pick." He's right.
Missoutandabout is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: