Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-11-2014, 02:47 PM   #1051
pixarmom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by pas130 View Post
Help me my friends

Beach Club vs. Grand Floridian
standard rooms....

GO.....
I'll play! I ENTIRELY agree with the split stay! We love love love the split stay between MK area and Epcot area. Poly/BWI last year was great, for example, and BC/GF is the same general idea. We scheduled park days and ADRs around resort reservations and transportation was so much easier.

But if you can't go with a split stay, as much as I love BC (and would choose it over GF) I recall how much you love GF. On the other hand, how does CL fit in? If I'm remembering correctly, your kids love the "snack room" as much as ours do! So that might figure into the equation, if you planned to do CL at BC but not at GF.

One of the reasons we're currently at POR in a RR instead of BWI for March is the fact that there is no "snack room" at POR. If we stayed in a standard room at BWI instead of CL, our youngest would definitely be asking about it! Especially because we will just have stayed there a month before and he loves the BWI CMs!
Disneyland (x many), Polynesisan (x many), Beach Club (x many), Boardwalk (x3), Yacht Club, Contemporary, Wilderness Lodge (x2), Animal Kingdom Lodge, Port Orleans French Quarter, Dolphin, Coronado Springs (x3), Caribbean Beach, Port Orleans-Riverside, All Star Sports, All Star Music, 2011 Disney Dream, 2012 Disney Wonder to Alaska, 2012 MNSSHP, 2013 Disneyland 10K, 2014 Princess Half Marathon and 5K

January 2015: WDW Marathon and 5K (AKL/GF/Poly)
April 2015: WL and AOA!
pixarmom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 02:49 PM   #1052
pixarmom
DIS Veteran

I posted this on the POR thread, but haven't heard back yet, and I know many RCers have experience with POR. So I thought I'd check to see if anyone can help with my questions:

1) Looks like there will be some Oak Manor construction during our stay. I was considering a request for Parterre, but I see that some feel it's too remote. POR vets, what do you suggest? No request, request for Parterre to avoid construction, or request for Oak Manor based on location?

2) The bus! When we stayed at POFQ, the loop always ran POFQ-south-west-north-east-park. So I assumed that from the royal rooms, we'd go to the east depot on our way to the park, and disembark at the south depot on the way back to POR. Based on some recent posts, it looks like the route can change - any advice? If it makes a difference, we're going to/from DHS on the first day and to/from MK on the second day.

Thanks so much!
Disneyland (x many), Polynesisan (x many), Beach Club (x many), Boardwalk (x3), Yacht Club, Contemporary, Wilderness Lodge (x2), Animal Kingdom Lodge, Port Orleans French Quarter, Dolphin, Coronado Springs (x3), Caribbean Beach, Port Orleans-Riverside, All Star Sports, All Star Music, 2011 Disney Dream, 2012 Disney Wonder to Alaska, 2012 MNSSHP, 2013 Disneyland 10K, 2014 Princess Half Marathon and 5K

January 2015: WDW Marathon and 5K (AKL/GF/Poly)
April 2015: WL and AOA!
pixarmom is online now   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-11-2014, 03:37 PM   #1053
Mousemommy1
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Help me my friends

Beach Club vs. Grand Floridian
standard rooms....

GO.....
GF, GF, GF!!!!

It took me sooooo long to be excited about it, but we really are now!!!

PAST TRIPS:
JUL 1985 OFFSITE • JUL 1989 OFFSITE • MAR 2000 ASMO • SEP 2000 ASMU • SEP 2002 ASSP • NOV 2009 POP • FEB 2011 CBR • JUL 2012 WL CL • APR 2013 YC CL • SEP 2013 POFQ • AUG 2014 BC CL
Mousemommy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 03:56 PM   #1054
pas130
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koh1977 View Post
SAB was crowded in September 2 years ago...but the Poly quiet pool was super nice last year during the day. We avoided the main pool. This trip (if it happens) probably won't include as much pool time...
GF pools were super relaxing, but that was before VGF. I imagine they are still lovely. The Poly quiet pool might also be closed at some point (hopefully not the same time as the Volcano pool) but the manager I spoke with said it was a possibility.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hstrickland View Post
Pas.....this makes me laugh! I can already foresee into the future my friend. Both will be chosen then both will be changed But if you want my opinion, ya know I'm all over the GF!!! Or better yet - go with Linda's idea! A SPLIT
The verdict from DH AND the kids is Beach club. And DH doesn't want a split

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy Grandma View Post
Of course if you do both you really should add on a couple of days says the Queen of Adding on Days! I'm no help at all!
I can add a day

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixarmom View Post
I'll play! I ENTIRELY agree with the split stay! We love love love the split stay between MK area and Epcot area. Poly/BWI last year was great, for example, and BC/GF is the same general idea. We scheduled park days and ADRs around resort reservations and transportation was so much easier.

But if you can't go with a split stay, as much as I love BC (and would choose it over GF) I recall how much you love GF. On the other hand, how does CL fit in? If I'm remembering correctly, your kids love the "snack room" as much as ours do! So that might figure into the equation, if you planned to do CL at BC but not at GF.

One of the reasons we're currently at POR in a RR instead of BWI for March is the fact that there is no "snack room" at POR. If we stayed in a standard room at BWI instead of CL, our youngest would definitely be asking about it! Especially because we will just have stayed there a month before and he loves the BWI CMs!
That was also a thought with GF, I dropped CL at BC to save $$$ but we told them that already and they didn't complain. The kids have spoken Beach Club! It's going to be a great trip, but it's so hard to resist GF
Old 01-11-2014, 04:00 PM   #1055
pas130
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mousemommy1 View Post
GF, GF, GF!!!!

It took me sooooo long to be excited about it, but we really are now!!!
I took a family vote...and I got everyone so excited for BC....it's BC or bust Then DH just texted me to remind me of when Bree fell in the beach pool at GF because it was slippery Janet promises next girls trip we will try to stay there
Old 01-11-2014, 04:07 PM   #1056
Missoutandabout
DIS Veteran

Jeanette: Split! Best of both worlds. So you guys go back and do some afternoon resting then head back in the evening? I really don't understand what took us so flippin' long to figure that out with regard to MK.

Quote:
I posted this on the POR thread, but haven't heard back yet, and I know many RCers have experience with POR. So I thought I'd check to see if anyone can help with my questions:

1) Looks like there will be some Oak Manor construction during our stay. I was considering a request for Parterre, but I see that some feel it's too remote. POR vets, what do you suggest? No request, request for Parterre to avoid construction, or request for Oak Manor based on location?

2) The bus! When we stayed at POFQ, the loop always ran POFQ-south-west-north-east-park. So I assumed that from the royal rooms, we'd go to the east depot on our way to the park, and disembark at the south depot on the way back to POR. Based on some recent posts, it looks like the route can change - any advice? If it makes a difference, we're going to/from DHS on the first day and to/from MK on the second day.

Thanks so much!
Ooooh, ooooh, pick me! We just got back from our second mini-stay at POR this week. (Flights were cancelled so went from BC over to POR.)

Parterre was the first building we stayed in last year -- in one of the Royal Rooms. Not remote at all, though I'd walk over to the South Depot to catch the bus instead of walking through the parking lot to the East Depot. Although we were in that little building to the north, which overlooks the quiet pool. It was really convenient.

Our stay this week, we were in Magnolia Bend -- still the "Mansions" section but not a Royal Room. For this building, we found the East Depot to be the closest/most convenient. Our room must have recently received an update. The bath and sink area was brand-new. I think the map tends to be a bit misleading, from both of those buildings, it's a pleasant little 5 minute stroll over to the main building. I think Acadian and the Alligator Bayou would be the most remote sections of POR.

For the busses, if we didn't feel like walking (couple of times it was late and too cold), we'd just wait at the bus stop and ask the driver of whichever bus happened to pull up (MK, DTD, Epcot, etc) if they were headed to a particular depot (or FQ or Riverside if we happened to be at the opposite one). On the handful of occasions we asked, we only had to wait one time for the next bus to come. (One driver actually said he wasn't headed our way then got out of his bus to say he'd take us anyway!) Anyway, it seems to vary as to which order they pick up between FQ and Riverside as well as the order of the depots so asking them is the easiest.
Missoutandabout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 04:08 PM   #1057
Koh1977
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I posted this on the POR thread, but haven't heard back yet, and I know many RCers have experience with POR. So I thought I'd check to see if anyone can help with my questions: 1) Looks like there will be some Oak Manor construction during our stay. I was considering a request for Parterre, but I see that some feel it's too remote. POR vets, what do you suggest? No request, request for Parterre to avoid construction, or request for Oak Manor based on location? 2) The bus! When we stayed at POFQ, the loop always ran POFQ-south-west-north-east-park. So I assumed that from the royal rooms, we'd go to the east depot on our way to the park, and disembark at the south depot on the way back to POR. Based on some recent posts, it looks like the route can change - any advice? If it makes a difference, we're going to/from DHS on the first day and to/from MK on the second day. Thanks so much!
Have you checked out the fan site for POR? It is AMAZING! Best fan site I've seen for any of the resorts. I am sure there's a link on the first page of the POR thread...?
Pre 2001 too many to count / December 2001 offsite / April 2004 offsite / August 2008 offsite / August 2009 offsite / August 2010 Poly / September 2012 BC / August 2013 Poly / July 2014 WL CL or Poly CL/WL or...
Koh1977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 04:19 PM   #1058
pas130
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Missoutandabout View Post
Jeanette: Split! Best of both worlds. So you guys go back and do some afternoon resting then head back in the evening? I really don't understand what took us so flippin' long to figure that out with regard to MK.
We do swimming then head to the parks after dinner or for dinner! The fact that we have never seen Fantasmic, and only DH and I saw Illuminations...this will be great! WALK back to the resort, just like my family likes
Old 01-11-2014, 04:20 PM   #1059
Koh1977
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Jeanette: Split! Best of both worlds. So you guys go back and do some afternoon resting then head back in the evening? I really don't understand what took us so flippin' long to figure that out with regard to MK. Ooooh, ooooh, pick me! We just got back from our second mini-stay at POR this week. (Flights were cancelled so went from BC over to POR.) Parterre was the first building we stayed in last year -- in one of the Royal Rooms. Not remote at all, though I'd walk over to the South Depot to catch the bus instead of walking through the parking lot to the East Depot. Although we were in that little building to the north, which overlooks the quiet pool. It was really convenient. Our stay this week, we were in Magnolia Bend -- still the "Mansions" section but not a Royal Room. For this building, we found the East Depot to be the closest/most convenient. Our room must have recently received an update. The bath and sink area was brand-new. I think the map tends to be a bit misleading, from both of those buildings, it's a pleasant little 5 minute stroll over to the main building. I think Acadian and the Alligator Bayou would be the most remote sections of POR. For the busses, if we didn't feel like walking (couple of times it was late and too cold), we'd just wait at the bus stop and ask the driver of whichever bus happened to pull up (MK, DTD, Epcot, etc) if they were headed to a particular depot (or FQ or Riverside if we happened to be at the opposite one). On the handful of occasions we asked, we only had to wait one time for the next bus to come. (One driver actually said he wasn't headed our way then got out of his bus to say he'd take us anyway!) Anyway, it seems to vary as to which order they pick up between FQ and Riverside as well as the order of the depots so asking them is the easiest.
Nevermind. ;-) looks like Miss is all over it!

And that's what we normally do on our park days in general...we break in the afternoon for naps/pool time and go back to a park in the evening...mostly MK in the evenings or Epcot if we have a dinner ADR. Although we've done HS for evening EMH but the wait for Toy Story is still always SO long...I think the only EMH we'd use this time would be MK. Skipping AK this time most likely...DS loves Kali, but that's about it besides the safari ride. Although I keep missing out on seeing FotLK... :-/
Pre 2001 too many to count / December 2001 offsite / April 2004 offsite / August 2008 offsite / August 2009 offsite / August 2010 Poly / September 2012 BC / August 2013 Poly / July 2014 WL CL or Poly CL/WL or...
Old 01-11-2014, 04:21 PM   #1060
Koh1977
DIS Veteran

Quote:
We do swimming then head to the parks after dinner or for dinner! The fact that we have never seen Fantasmic, and only DH and I saw Illuminations...this will be great! WALK back to the resort, just like my family likes
Take the boat from HS!! :-)
Old 01-11-2014, 04:28 PM   #1061
Mousemommy1
DIS Veteran

Quote:
YC/BC is wonderful for this. We really loved YC a lot. (The CL a little less) DH says next year HAS to be an Epcot resort, but I know he wants BWI with Mr.

I will have to sacrifice to keep DH Disney happy. I do get it...

PAST TRIPS:
JUL 1985 OFFSITE • JUL 1989 OFFSITE • MAR 2000 ASMO • SEP 2000 ASMU • SEP 2002 ASSP • NOV 2009 POP • FEB 2011 CBR • JUL 2012 WL CL • APR 2013 YC CL • SEP 2013 POFQ • AUG 2014 BC CL
Old 01-11-2014, 04:31 PM   #1062
Missoutandabout
DIS Veteran

That settles it. I think all of our future MK visits will involve only arriving after 6-7pm.

Quote:
I thought Jen and I were one of the last RCers to have seen Fantasmic! I don't know what I expected, but I was totally mesmerized by it. Even though both times were in the rain, we were all very blown away by it. Y'all will have a BLAST! (Ooooh yeah, walking back from HS after Fantasmic is the bee's knees. It's quicker than the boat usually but both are good.)

Koh: We caught FotLK for the first time back in October. It was kinda like Fantasmic was for us... really didn't know what to expect. It was FABULOUS! (We just did the Nemo Musical this past trip for the first time and didn't enjoy that one. at. all. ) We're the same as you guys -- it's either the safari or Kali because Miss M won't do Everest and refuses to go back on Dinosaur again.
Old 01-11-2014, 04:33 PM   #1063
Mousemommy1
DIS Veteran

Quote:
That settles it. I think all of our future MK visits will involve only arriving after 6-7pm.

I thought Jen and I were one of the last RCers to have seen Fantasmic! I don't know what I expected, but I was totally mesmerized by it. Even though both times were in the rain, we were all very blown away by it. Y'all will have a BLAST! (Ooooh yeah, walking back from HS after Fantasmic is the bee's knees. It's quicker than the boat usually but both are good.)

Koh: We caught FotLK for the first time back in October. It was kinda like Fantasmic was for us... really didn't know what to expect. It was FABULOUS! (We just did the Nemo Musical this past trip for the first time and didn't enjoy that one. at. all. ) We're the same as you guys -- it's either the safari or Kali because Miss M won't do Everest and refuses to go back on Dinosaur again.

Count us in as another family that prefers MK at night!

1) it's usually open late
2) there is just something super magical about that place at night

PAST TRIPS:
Old 01-11-2014, 04:37 PM   #1064
Koh1977
DIS Veteran

Quote:
That settles it. I think all of our future MK visits will involve only arriving after 6-7pm. I thought Jen and I were one of the last RCers to have seen Fantasmic! I don't know what I expected, but I was totally mesmerized by it. Even though both times were in the rain, we were all very blown away by it. Y'all will have a BLAST! (Ooooh yeah, walking back from HS after Fantasmic is the bee's knees. It's quicker than the boat usually but both are good.) Koh: We caught FotLK for the first time back in October. It was kinda like Fantasmic was for us... really didn't know what to expect. It was FABULOUS! (We just did the Nemo Musical this past trip for the first time and didn't enjoy that one. at. all. ) We're the same as you guys -- it's either the safari or Kali because Miss M won't do Everest and refuses to go back on Dinosaur again.
DS and I did NOT like Dinosaur or Everest, so yeah...I have a former student in the Lion King, and we almost got to it last year, but then the rain started and the kids were tired and ready to go back to the resort...
Old 01-11-2014, 04:51 PM   #1065
Missoutandabout
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mousemommy1 View Post
Count us in as another family that prefers MK at night!

1) it's usually open late
2) there is just something super magical about that place at night
Seriously. Although the night we went, they were just open until 9pm (Wishes at 8) but they still had the Christmas lights up. It was amazing.

We were actually thinking about giving up on MK until we went that night. The hubs -- certified HATER of MK -- said, "You know? Just when we were about to never go again, we up and have a really special and very nice evening. Typical Disney, reelin' ya back in."

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: