Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-24-2014, 10:15 PM   #1681
Sue M
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by dimndgal1 View Post
So, the D R A M A!!!

BACKGROUND: A year ago my 18 year old nephew passed away unexpectedly. The last time we all saw him was at Christmas and he passed weeks later. Because of that, DH's sister (nephew's mom) is pushing for a non-traditional Christmas .

Soon after the idea of a Mouse filled holiday was mentioned the idea of visiting other family in Florida came up. DH made the comment later, one-on-one with his mom "I'm sure our crew (meaning the 4 people he can safely speak for) could probably swing that." Somehow, MIL took that to mean that our group of 11 would trek from Orlando to Tampa to Ft Myers and went ahead and told the family in those locations we would be there -- all before we had 1) reservations, 2) a budget, 3) leave schedules, and 4) *most importantly* talking to her two other children.

DH talked to his mom and said that while some of us might be able to go on to other places, if the Florida people wanted to see ALL of us, they needed to come to Orlando. He also suggested inviting them to a big Christmas meal somewhere and tossed out several other ideas. Fast forward to Friday night and DH's sister texted saying MIL had just talked to family in Tampa and made it sound like we were all going out there.

The problem has now become BIL and SIL's husband have very limited leave and will probably have to cut out of Florida Christmas night or early the next AM (hence why we were waiting for schedules before even TRYING to come up with plans). Both DH's siblings (and us) agree that they want to have a relaxing Christmas with family and not caravan around the state... not to mention the logistics of toting 8 adults, a 7yo, & two 18 month olds to three different locations in 7 days.

DH talked to his mom and now his she seems hurt and distant and keeps saying "but they are so close, it wouldn't be that hard." Siblings have all pointed out it's easier for 2 people to come to Orlando than for 11 of us to go anywhere... not to mention the added cost of rental cars!!! I suggested we just go see the family for Christmas but siblings and DH all agree that if we are just going to a house they could save a ton of money and stay local. Basically, the idea is "we're spending a lot of money we want this to be a vacation... if the Florida family want to join us on vacation, great! If not, we'll catch them next time." So, now there's a lot of tension and I'm just glad I am not the one on the phone (though I am DH's sounding board).
Ugh. Family dynamics are so difficult at times. Hope it all gets worked out.
Aug 2003 WDW Marriott Courtyard, [B]Aug 2005 [/BSeaWorld, Universal, Busch Gardens Hilton Garden Inn, ]Aug 2007 WDW CBR, Jan 2008WDW WL, Aug 2008St. Pete Beach, Universal-HRH, Sea Workd & Aquatica- Hyatt Place & Doubletree, Jan 2009WDW AKL, Aug 2009Key West Sheraton Suites, Cocoa Beach Hampton Inn, & WDW POR/WL, Jan 2010WDW Poly, Jan 2011WDW POR, Aug 2011WDW POR/BC CL, Jan 2012WDW WL, Aug 2012AKL CL, Jan. 2013POFQ Aug. 2013 WDW Pop, GF, YC Jan 2014POR

Next trip August 7-Sept 3 2014 Ft Lauderdale, Universal, WDW GF & GF CL
Sue M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 11:24 PM   #1682
letthewookiewin
"That's 'cause droids don't pull people's arms out of their sockets when they lose. Wookiees are known to do that."-Han Solo
"I see your point, sir. I suggest a new strategy, R2: let the Wookiee win."-C-3PO

Quote:
Originally Posted by hstrickland View Post
Wookie... love the costume ideas!!! MNSSHP will be awesome for sure!!!
Thank you. I just hope the Belle costume looks as good as it does in my head.

Quote:
When will Spring Break get here!??!! I need some beach....some sun!!! (random thought, I know....)
Our Spring Break starts in 12 days. We aren't doing anything. It's the one week I hope I don't work everyday, so I can sleep in a few days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koh1977 View Post
I don't even know what it stands for. Lol. But it means I am displaced. Basically, if there is an English opening in the district after everything plays out and people leave or whatnot, then I will most likely get it (I would before they'd open it to someone else) but there is no guarantee and there's certainly no guarantee I'd stay at the school I'm at right now. I wouldn't mind staying where I am or one of the other high schools, but if I ended up at the 3rd high school or a middle school...? I would definitely NOT be happy.. :-/

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards
Ugh, I am so sorry. I hope you get places some where you are happy. Do you know what you will do if you are placeda t the 3rd high school or a middle school?

Quote:
Injection was crazy - felt like a celebrity with all the curious medical peeps. Won't lie, hurt A LOT more than I expected... but the docs are super optimistic and I am focusing on being able to ride coasters with DD this summer (she finally cleared 48" so the steel, looping world is her oyster)
I'm sorry it hurt so much. Hopefully you won't need another one.

Quote:
wookie - I totally understand your costume drama! Finally started getting our groups' together this weekend! Important stuff!!!
I've only dressed up in an actual costume once, and I had so much fun in my costume. I did love our t-shirts from last year, but wearing a costume was more fun for sure. What are y'all planning on doing? As long as there is a party that night, we're planning on the September 23 MNSSHP.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue M View Post

Sounds like another good option!! Are you making a tulle full skirt to go over it?
I'm not totally sure exactly what I'll do. I was thinking about doing a layered tutu. I'm just afraid it'll be a lot of tulle if I do that though.

Quote:
So, the D R A M A!!!

BACKGROUND: A year ago my 18 year old nephew passed away unexpectedly. The last time we all saw him was at Christmas and he passed weeks later. Because of that, DH's sister (nephew's mom) is pushing for a non-traditional Christmas .

Soon after the idea of a Mouse filled holiday was mentioned the idea of visiting other family in Florida came up. DH made the comment later, one-on-one with his mom "I'm sure our crew (meaning the 4 people he can safely speak for) could probably swing that." Somehow, MIL took that to mean that our group of 11 would trek from Orlando to Tampa to Ft Myers and went ahead and told the family in those locations we would be there -- all before we had 1) reservations, 2) a budget, 3) leave schedules, and 4) *most importantly* talking to her two other children.

DH talked to his mom and said that while some of us might be able to go on to other places, if the Florida people wanted to see ALL of us, they needed to come to Orlando. He also suggested inviting them to a big Christmas meal somewhere and tossed out several other ideas. Fast forward to Friday night and DH's sister texted saying MIL had just talked to family in Tampa and made it sound like we were all going out there.

The problem has now become BIL and SIL's husband have very limited leave and will probably have to cut out of Florida Christmas night or early the next AM (hence why we were waiting for schedules before even TRYING to come up with plans). Both DH's siblings (and us) agree that they want to have a relaxing Christmas with family and not caravan around the state... not to mention the logistics of toting 8 adults, a 7yo, & two 18 month olds to three different locations in 7 days.

DH talked to his mom and now his she seems hurt and distant and keeps saying "but they are so close, it wouldn't be that hard." Siblings have all pointed out it's easier for 2 people to come to Orlando than for 11 of us to go anywhere... not to mention the added cost of rental cars!!! I suggested we just go see the family for Christmas but siblings and DH all agree that if we are just going to a house they could save a ton of money and stay local. Basically, the idea is "we're spending a lot of money we want this to be a vacation... if the Florida family want to join us on vacation, great! If not, we'll catch them next time." So, now there's a lot of tension and I'm just glad I am not the one on the phone (though I am DH's sounding board).
I am so sorry y'all are having to deal with family drama. You and your DH are right that it doesn't make sense for the 11 of y'all to travel to them. I hope y'all can resolve it without you feeling the need to wrap your hands around your mil's neck.

Quote:
Sue - I think DD summed Bieber up best: "Why does that boy sing like a girl and wear his daddy's pants?"
I'm sure you already know this, but your DD is pure greatness.

"We keep moving forward, opening new doors, and doing new things, because we're curious and curiosity keeps leading us down new paths." - Walt Disney
letthewookiewin is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-25-2014, 08:48 AM   #1683
Koh1977
DIS Veteran

So I may or may not have been pricing out a room at Pop and AoA LM...and making ADRs for a 4th of July trip...

Thoughts on either Value resort?

Pre 2001 too many to count / December 2001 offsite / April 2004 offsite / August 2008 offsite / August 2009 offsite / August 2010 Poly / September 2012 BC / August 2013 Poly / July 2014 WL CL or Poly CL/WL or...
Koh1977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 09:25 AM   #1684
Mousemommy1
DIS Veteran

Quote:
So I may or may not have been pricing out a room at Pop and AoA LM...and making ADRs for a 4th of July trip...

We stayed at POP in 2009 and really liked it!!! We were in the 70's building which was a good location between the food court and bus stop!

PAST TRIPS:
JUL 1985 OFFSITE • JUL 1989 OFFSITE • MAR 2000 ASMO • SEP 2000 ASMU • SEP 2002 ASSP • NOV 2009 POP • FEB 2011 CBR • JUL 2012 WL CL • APR 2013 YC CL • SEP 2013 POFQ • AUG 2014 BC CL
Mousemommy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 09:32 AM   #1685
dimndgal1
One little spark...

Quote:
Foolish people They don't understand the Disney dilemmas we face....tell them to get with the program
It's funny because it really is true - people who don't 'know' Disney just have that 'I can just wake up and decide to go, right?' mentality. I'm not saying everyone needs to be super planners but a little google never hurt anyone!

Quote:
Originally Posted by letthewookiewin View Post
I've only dressed up in an actual costume once, and I had so much fun in my costume. I did love our t-shirts from last year, but wearing a costume was more fun for sure. What are y'all planning on doing? As long as there is a party that night, we're planning on the September 23 MNSSHP.
I'm not totally sure exactly what I'll do. I was thinking about doing a layered tutu. I'm just afraid it'll be a lot of tulle if I do that though.
We are looking at the party on the 16th - I have heard Tuesday parties tend to be emptier so I'm all about emptier!
We had same dilemma as you - wanted comfortable, cool costumes that would allow for rides. We ended up going with Phineas and Ferb - DF is Phineas, I'm Ferb, DH is Doofinshmertz, DD6 is Perry, and LO is Meep. We also figure we'll have a 'Balloon-y' in the mix as well.

Have you looked into some of the runner skirts? I know for the Princess Half there are tons of different skirt styles on Etsy... some are super cute and reasonable but cooler than tulle or heavy fabric.

Quote:
I'm sure you already know this, but your DD is pure greatness.
LOL, thanks! I admit she has some great quips and her brutal, uncensored honesty is both embarrassing and hilarious at times.

Quote:

Friend just got back from AoA LM room and said while it was cute, she won't do it again. The double beds weren't make or break but she stayed AK last time and 'missed' the bigger beds. Also, LM rooms were FAAAAAAAAAAAR... as she said "Last thing I want to do after a night at the parks is drag kids that far." They went during a slower time and found the busses to be fewer and farther between than previous trips (not sure if that was due to time of year or resort). Overal feeling was cute, fun, but kind of a pain.

I don't know much about Pop but hear lots of positives as one of the better Values.

--------------------------------------------------------------
Thanks for all the support for the drama!!!

My biggest gripe about this is when planning first started DH asked MIL what she wanted to do and she said "whatever you kids decide works for us; we're flexible" but now she's making these backdoor plans with other family.

Last we left it the siblings agreed we weren't making any more plans until vacation time was approved. I do have the rezzie at SoG but the kids are contemplating a split-stay with CSR then moving over to SoG Christmas Eve. The thought is we can do the parks the first days and then when crowds get crazy do family meals, resort hop to look at decorations and other non-park things... and if extended family want to join us, they are welcome to.
'88-1st WDW trip * '92, '95, '98-DW day trips * '03-DW Spring Break * '05-'06-AP WDW (honeymoon & more!) * '08-1st DL trip * '10-DL (Paradise Pier, Club 33) '11-Spontaneous DW (SoG) * Jun 2012 - Week in WDW (POR/YC!!!) * Sep 2014-MNSSHP/LO's First Trip! (WL) * Christmas '14-In-law-mageddon
(me) (DH) (DD-7) (DD-1) (Bailey) (Aristotle)
dimndgal1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 01:21 PM   #1686
Meldev
Mouseketeer

This thread is great! I haven't read through all of it, but I"m a resort changer just from this trip alone!! I've had 3 different resorts booked for my upcoming October trip.

Bottom line, with 4 kids I'd LOVE a washer/dryer...end of story. Right?
Yeah, we could still fit in one bedroom OKW - however, when I look at prices and "potential" offers, it looks like I'm paying $1K more for a washer/dryer and a kitchen and only 1 bathroom....whereas a moderate w/ 2 adjoining rooms has no washer/dryer and only a mini fridge and little 'extra' space it would have 2 bathrooms, everyone would sleep in a 'bed' not a pullout and be about $1K less for a week.

UGH!!!! I don't know what to do...I'm now booked back at OKW - hoping for free dining and going from there.

If I were to chose moderate - which one?!? We LOVED POR - but we don't get to Disney all that often and I like to try new things and older kids are strong swimmers, so a fun pool is essential....
Decisions, decisions....

First Family Visit (Mom/Dad 3 kids) - Oct 2010 - POR
Second Family Visit (Mom/Dad 4 kids) - 2014- CBR
Meldev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 02:04 PM   #1687
gwynne
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meldev View Post
This thread is great! I haven't read through all of it, but I"m a resort changer just from this trip alone!! I've had 3 different resorts booked for my upcoming October trip.

Yeah, we could still fit in one bedroom OKW - however, when I look at prices and "potential" offers, it looks like I'm paying $1K more for a washer/dryer and a kitchen and only 1 bathroom....whereas a moderate w/ 2 adjoining rooms has no washer/dryer and only a mini fridge and little 'extra' space it would have 2 bathrooms, everyone would sleep in a 'bed' not a pullout and be about $1K less for a week.

UGH!!!! I don't know what to do...I'm now booked back at OKW - hoping for free dining and going from there.

If I were to chose moderate - which one?!? We LOVED POR - but we don't get to Disney all that often and I like to try new things and older kids are strong swimmers, so a fun pool is essential....
Decisions, decisions....
Hi Meldev, glad you found the thread! There are some very good mod options, POR and POFQ being very nice. We've not stayed at Caribbean Beach, but I have read great things about it, too.
You mentioned your kids like swimming. Do you think they'd enjoy a water park day?
Happy planning as you work on your upcoming trip!
Old 02-25-2014, 02:38 PM   #1688
dimndgal1
One little spark...

Welcome, Meldev!

Definitely understand your conundrum - it's so hard to find the right balance of options!

Have you looked into renting points for a Villa? I find that they can be much cheaper than paying Disney's rates and there are plenty of companies that are reputable as well as the DVC rental board here on DIS. We looked into renting points for our December trip but the boatload we need aren't readily available until 7 months out. As a whole, though, it would save our group of 11 $100 a night v. a deluxe room.

Just a thought! Hope you find your perfect location!
'88-1st WDW trip * '92, '95, '98-DW day trips * '03-DW Spring Break * '05-'06-AP WDW (honeymoon & more!) * '08-1st DL trip * '10-DL (Paradise Pier, Club 33) '11-Spontaneous DW (SoG) * Jun 2012 - Week in WDW (POR/YC!!!) * Sep 2014-MNSSHP/LO's First Trip! (WL) * Christmas '14-In-law-mageddon
Old 02-25-2014, 07:29 PM   #1689
i_heart_the_mouse
DIS Veteran

A quick post and run PSA for my favorite Disney lovin' gals....

Frozen was released early on Amazon Instant Video. Watching with the kiddos right now. I'm so happy!

Do you want to build a snowman?
Feb 09-FW Cabins, Jan 10-Poly,Nov 10-Poly & MVMCP, Sep 11-BC-CL & MNSSHP, Jan 12-Poly-CL, Jun 12-YC-CL/GF-RPC/BWI-CL/CR-CL, Aug 12-Poly-TPV-CL, Jan 13-Poly/YC-CL, Apr 13-YC-CL, Aug 13-Poly-CL/BC-CL/AKV, Dec 13 -VGF/YC Mar 14 - BC Next Up.... AKV/Poly CL/BWI Split!

i_heart_the_mouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 07:33 PM   #1690
dimndgal1
One little spark...

Quote:
Originally Posted by i_heart_the_mouse View Post
A quick post and run PSA for my favorite Disney lovin' gals....

Frozen was released early on Amazon Instant Video. Watching with the kiddos right now. I'm so happy!

Do you want to build a snowman?
So ironic - we're sitting here singing along! DD is singing Elsa and LO is bouncing!
Old 02-25-2014, 07:45 PM   #1691
letthewookiewin
"That's 'cause droids don't pull people's arms out of their sockets when they lose. Wookiees are known to do that."-Han Solo
"I see your point, sir. I suggest a new strategy, R2: let the Wookiee win."-C-3PO

Quote:

We stayed at the Pop on our June 2012 trip. We loved everything, except for the beds, and the size of the bathroom. The beds were just a little on the hard side for my DH and I. The bathroom was super tiny. Even though I had seen room layouts and pictures, I just didn't think they would have been as tiny as they felt. Our room location was amazing!!

The star in the Mickey telephone 70's building was where our room was on the first floor. The walk to transportation, main building, main pool, and laundry wasn't long at all. Even after a long day in the park, we didn't feel like we were walking from Texas to New Zealand in order to get to our room.

I haven't stayed at AoA, yet. While the Pop wouldn't be my first choice. If my only options was staying at the Pop, it wouldn't be a deal breaker.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meldev View Post

Decisions, decisions....

Nothing new about my girls only trip. We need to figure out a park plan, but I'm in a funk about the trip. My DH is being a horse's rear and is threatening to not let me go if I don't start working 5 days a week. I have no control over how many days a week my friend needs me at her in home daycare.

I'm making a practice tutu. I'm giving it to the daughter of the friend I work for. Any tulle I have left over, I will probably make for the little girls of the day care to play with.

"We keep moving forward, opening new doors, and doing new things, because we're curious and curiosity keeps leading us down new paths." - Walt Disney
letthewookiewin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 08:21 PM   #1692
hstrickland
DIS Veteran

I'm being Lurky-Loo today .....too tired to try and reply....so I'll just say Hubby is watching the most ridiculous show ever produced - Amish Mafia. Silly, I say! So I think it's time for me to retire to my suite and view something worth watching

DH & Me DS 13 DD 8 DS 7
CR x 4 - WL x 2 - GF - ASMo - PolyCL - FW x 3- AKL CL x 2 - Dream - POR - ASMu - WL CL - POP
hstrickland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 09:15 PM   #1693
Koh1977
DIS Veteran

All I have to say is I could really do without all these Disney commercials on TV! DD is talking nonstop Disney and Mickey, etc. lately as a result. *shaking my head*

Pre 2001 too many to count / December 2001 offsite / April 2004 offsite / August 2008 offsite / August 2009 offsite / August 2010 Poly / September 2012 BC / August 2013 Poly / July 2014 WL CL or Poly CL/WL or...
Koh1977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 09:17 PM   #1694
gwynne
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I'm being Lurky-Loo today .....too tired to try and reply....so I'll just say Hubby is watching the most ridiculous show ever produced - Amish Mafia. Silly, I say! So I think it's time for me to retire to my suite and view something worth watching

Sounds like a great plan! I'm off to bed. I think I'll watch a bit of Downton Abbey from Sunday again.
Old 02-26-2014, 06:00 AM   #1695
Mousemommy1
DIS Veteran

So, ever since my first trip to Disney in 1985, I have had a "Disney Box". At first, it was a little box. It just contained my small little momentos/souvenirs from my trip. I added to it on my next trip in 1989.

I didn't get back to Disney until 2000. That trip was my first trip anywhere with my then BF (now DH). He knew about the Disney box. He had been twice as a child too. When we got back from that trip, we added his stuff and our stuff from that trip to the box. We needed a bigger box.

Few more trips before kids, and up to our honeymoon....again adding to the box.

Then, our kids first trip in 2009. The kids added their stuff. Man did we need a bigger box!!!

So, after 4 trips with the family, our box was overflowing all over the place in our closet.

Well, DH is home this week with the kiddos on Feb vacation. I came home yesterday and found my Disney box missing.
DH has been cleaning out the basement and closets this week and so much stuff is going out in the trash because DH wants to finish the basement this year...

I ran downstairs screaming!!! DH then pulled a giant 35 lb Rubbermaid bin out of the playroom...all decorated with Disney designs....a new Disney box!!!!!!! He opened it and showed me that it's only half full now, and that we have a lot of work to do to fill it up again. Oh my Lawd how I love that guy!!!!

PAST TRIPS:
JUL 1985 OFFSITE • JUL 1989 OFFSITE • MAR 2000 ASMO • SEP 2000 ASMU • SEP 2002 ASSP • NOV 2009 POP • FEB 2011 CBR • JUL 2012 WL CL • APR 2013 YC CL • SEP 2013 POFQ • AUG 2014 BC CL
Mousemommy1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: