Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-22-2013, 10:19 AM   #1
shortypots
DIS Veteran

Party for the senses - Wine view lounge review

So my hubby got me the Wine View lounge (WVL) for my birthday this year and boy was it incredible. We got there about 6pm. I was hoping we would get in early, but I never expected 40 mins early! This was such a great way to get in before the massive crowds. We were done trying most of the booths before the majority of the crowd was even let in!

We were greeted by a refreshing glass of pink champagne or sparkling wine ( not sure was never given the name). We were then ushed to our table by our server, Vicki. She was amazing all night. She suggested we check out the front areas first because when the general admission folks get there, they would head there first. She then pointed out the bar with the specialty drinks. I started with a White Chocolate Oreo Martini. Nice and Strong to start with!

(warning about the pics... we were very close to the Cirque de Soleil stage, so we were changing colors all night, and that will effect some of the colors.)

We had a beautiful appetizer sitting waiting for us and it was a Beef Carpaccio with a red wine reduction. Absolutely delicious. I believe this was especially for the WVL folks.

Instead of going for the front like was suggested, we decided to go for the one that was closest to our exit... Liberty Tree Tavern's booth with Wagyu Beef with blue cheese foam on crostini. OMG this was our favorite of the night... I should have gone back for more, but only got 2.

Next on the menu was duck breast with butternut squash puree. Another favorite of the night. Funny how our first 2 dishes out were our favorites!

Scallop with Liver and Onions. Didn't notice there was liver or onions on this, but the scallop was cooked beautifully.

My hubby must have mentioned it was my bday when he made the reservation so the chef brought me out a beautiful plate of goodies. It had a solid white chocolate Mickey as well as balloons and some chocolate candies. The candies were good, but I saved the balloons and Mickey for my nieces.

Our server Vicki brought me some coffee cups to put them in, and suggested that I get a ton of the chocolates on the assorted chocolates table and put them in the cups. My nieces were very thankful for this as well. They enjoyed them on the 10 hr ride home on Sunday. The chocolates themselves are very delicious too. I still have some left. All kinds of fun flavors like Peanut Butter pretzel, and strawberry, and salted caramel. Yum! Sorry, no pics of those.

Lamb Crepe with apples and candied walnuts. Very delicious. I believe this was from the Chef at Be Our Guest restaurant.

Butter Poached Lobster. I had never had butter poached lobster before and now I am hooked. It came with pumpkin risotto and some sort of cold vinegary mushrooms. The combo was amazing!

Pig Face Putine from Zazu restaurant. DH was afraid to get it, but my opinion was that we were there to try new things. The pork was cooked in a duck fat gravy so how bad could it be? The blue cheese on it came from the cows on their farm and was just a creamy and delicious as can be! I was pleasantly surprised.

Lamb Biriyani - didn't care for this one. Was from the Chef at Sanaa.

We had some other dishes that I just didn't get pics of. Octopus which I didn't like at all. It was the second time I have tried Octopus and didn't like it either time. It was so hard I couldn't chew threw it and finally spit it out.

There was a stone fruit salad with Beef that was delicious and had one of the longest lines.

The pork sandwich from a Chinese chef was absolutely delicious. Loved the soft asian bun they put it on.

Cajun Quinoa Cake. I thought it was good, but the kick at the end had me only take a couple of bites.

Petite Spicy Chicken Meatballs- had a good spice to it, but it was a meatball.

Duck confit tagliatelle. Big disappointment. Desperately needed salt. With that it might not have been so disappointing.

Pan Seared Mahi Mahi with asian pot sticker- this was good and had a good sized portion, but there were so many other things that were better, it kind of got forgotten.

Tuna Tartare- i had never had tuna tartare before, and really enjoyed this. I loved sushi tuna, so this was nice. Light and a little heat.

Herb Crusted Buffalo Striploin with creamy grits. After the Wagyu beef, this one was lacking.

Now for the desserts... We had a specialty dessert for the WVL. This was a hollow chocolate dome with some Oat and chocolate truffle. truffles were yummy.

My favorite dessert of the night definitely went to Chef Keegan Gerhard. it was a chocolate Cremeaux with Passion fruit cream and chocolate crumbles. OMG Really enjoyed this one... I also got to meet him and joked with him how much I loved him. He wondered where I had seen him and I told him I loved his episode with Claire Robinson on 5 ingredient fix. He said he is always busting on her about that one because it was her highest rated episode! Who can blame us when it was all about chocolate!!! hahaha He was kind enough to take photos with us too.

The other fav dessert of the night was the strawberries and cream dessert from D Bar Desserts (which Keegan Gerhard was also from) No pic for this one, but it was delicious! This one was my DH's fav... Mine was Keegans.

We also tried a bit of wine while there. Here's the list. Unfortunately, didn't get to all of them...

La Crema Pinot Gris- Really nice and smooth.
La Crema Pinot Noir- This went beautifully with the Wagyu beef.
Mumm Napa Blanc de Blanc- this was a sparkling wine and I really enjoyed it
Chateau St Michelle Eroica Riesling- DH's fav of the night. I think he was on a first name basis by the end of the night and kept coming back with full glasses.
Robert Mondavi Fume Blanc- delicious, I went back for a second serving.
Trinchero nine Vines Moscato- sweet like grape juice. Closest thing to a dessert wine all night. The guy serving didn't even cap it anymore he was going through it so fast.
Fetzer Bonterra Sauvignon Blanc- not much to say... decent...

All in all it was a wonderful experience. We got a little baggie when we were leaving with all kinds of good stuff. Some twinings tea, chocolates, lots of caramels. I could not have had a better time for my birthday present if I tried. Really enjoyed it.

Now the big question... was it worth the difference in price between reserved and WVL... in my opinion because we got in 40 mins early and had the 2 specialty items (dessert and appetizer) not to mention a higher quality cheese area (with a full honeycomb!), of course we also had the gift bag and a server all night too, I personally thought it was worth the $300 pp. Of course, this is not something we can afford to do all the time, so this will be a once in a while kind of thing and will probably always be my bday present

Any questions, please let me know!

Here's the last photo... DH and I after enjoying a lot of food and wine...
Old 10-22-2013, 10:31 AM   #2
OrangeCountyCommuter
DIS Veteran

Thanks. I have WVK this weekend. I am now planning to arrive early
OrangeCountyCommuter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 10:40 AM   #3
shortypots
DIS Veteran

I know I was so surprised we got in so early. I am glad we did get there early because the person who took our reservation messed up my DH's name. His last name is Pidgeon, but they had it as Tidgeon! Took us a little bit at the desk to figure out but they did!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: