Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-16-2013, 11:53 AM   #1
Sheilby
Labels aren't my thing

Dinner at Chef Mickey's at 5:15 or Crystal Palace at 7:45?

Dinner at Chef Mickey's at 5:15 or Crystal Palace at 7:45? Which would you do?

We haven't eaten at either place. We are going to MK that morning and then probably taking a break for the afternoon before going back to the park for dinner and the evening so both locations work well.

MK is closing at 9:00PM that night and there is no MSEP. We really want to see Wishes since that will be our only chance to see them in the park (we will most likely see Holiday Wishes from the Poly Beach a few days before).

Obviously we will be cutting it close with the CP reservation at 7:45, but it is not during a busy day so we might be seated near our time, and I can always send the kids outside to see the fireworks with my husband or one of the grandparents (as long as they don't miss it I'm fine). Can you see the fireworks decently from outside the Crystal Palace?

The other character meals we have are breakfast at Ohana and dinner at Garden Grill so we will see some of the classic characters then.

I've heard some really bad things about Chef Mickey's, but I know my boys would like to eat in the Contemporary, plus we will have PP+. The timing might not be the best because it wouldn't give us much of an afternoon break before getting back (we are staying at OKW). My boys will be 13, 10 and almost 7 when we go. The 13 year old is a great sport and has no issues about dining with characters being babyish. The 10 year old enjoys everything about life and will totally go along with the whole character thing.

I'd love to get either place at 6-6:30, but that isn't happening this late in the game.

What would you choose and why?

Thanks.
Old 10-16-2013, 05:14 PM   #2
Disneylover99
DIS Veteran

I've eaten at both places and love both buffets. I would choose CM's instead of CP because of the reservation time. We are early eaters, especially with young kids.
Disneylover99 is online now   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-16-2013, 05:19 PM   #3
scootch
DIS Veteran

We may be in the minority, but we really love Chef Mickey's atmosphere. We hit it year after year, even twice once year when we had free dining. Have only done CP once for dinner and once for breakfast, both times the characters were so slow coming around. One night (in NOv) we froze in there, all the table around us over and over asked for them to turn up the heat as cold air was coming out of the runs... but the manager did nothing.
~~Nov 2005 Contemporary
~~November 2006 Contemporary Making memories with my 21 year old niece with cancer
Sweet Lindsey passed March 2007
~~November 2007 WL
~~Nov 08 VWL
~~Nov 09 WDW BLT DiscoveryCove SeaWorld and DCL Wonder
~~April 2011 B2B Disney Dream
~~Nov 2011 WDW/BLT
~~Nov 2012 VWL/ Eastern Fantasy
~~ June 2013 DISNEYLAND/CALIFORNIA ADVENTURE
~~Feb 2014 Contemporary/ Disney Eastern Fantasy
~~Nov 2014 Disney Grand Floridian Villas
scootch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 06:50 PM   #4
BenbowInn
Mouseketeer

We actually enjoy Chef Mickeys and don't care for Crystal Palace.

I'd go with Chef Mickeys to get an earlier meal. Disney restaurants are so hit or miss that the earlier the better.
BenbowInn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 08:29 PM   #5
Sheilby
Labels aren't my thing

Thanks for your input guys.
Old 10-16-2013, 08:42 PM   #6
MSSANDRA
DIS Veteran

CM vote too. Your boys will enjoy the character and atmosphere more and the food is pretty much equal. There is no way to enjoy a relaxed meal with a 7:45 ADR and be out for wishes. When you pay that much for a character meal, you want to enjoy it!!!!
MSSANDRA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 08:47 PM   #7
myhouseofmouse
Disney Dad

Yeah really is a no brainer...Chef Mickey's

Even if the CP time was the same it would be Chef Mickey's The CP ressie is too late. Plus how do you do Winnie and friends over the FAB 5??? The food quality and selection is about the same. (honestly maybe aslight edge to CP, but only a slight edge)

Have a great trip
Old 10-16-2013, 08:55 PM   #8
Sheilby
Labels aren't my thing

Quote:
Originally Posted by myhouseofmouse View Post
Yeah really is a no brainer...Chef Mickey's

Even if the CP time was the same it would be Chef Mickey's The CP ressie is too late. Plus how do you do Winnie and friends over the FAB 5??? The food quality and selection is about the same. (honestly maybe aslight edge to CP, but only a slight edge)

Have a great trip
Thanks. I thought since I had Garden Grill dinner and Ohana breakfast that it might be Mickey overload. Plus I thought that 5:15 would be too early and not give us enough of a midday break. However, it seems you guys are overwhelmingly for Chef Mickey.
Old 10-17-2013, 09:41 AM   #9
wdwrich
DIS Veteran

Although I'm not a big fan of the food at CM, I agree with previous posters that the earlier CM time would be best. Also, your boys will love eating in a restaurant with the monorails gliding overhead.

WDW - 11 visits since 1979 (Polynesian x5, P.O. Riverside x2, Contemporary x2, Yacht Club, Coronado Springs, Shades of Green). Going back in 2015.
DLR - Yearly since 1984 (AP holders)
wdwrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 10:17 AM   #10
katt789
DIS Veteran

I personally would vote for chef mickeys. Having a 7:45 Adr is really pushing it at CP. though they are more than okay having you run outside to watch, the view isnt great.

I did CM's this past trip for dinner & absolutely loved it! The food was all great, hot & fresh! Compared to the later dinner I did at CP it definitely won

Instagram:Katt789
Twitter: KattWy

katt789 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 12:06 PM   #11
Sheilby
Labels aren't my thing

I don't think I ever asked a question before where all the people voted the same way.
Old 10-17-2013, 12:12 PM   #12
SuzieN
DIS Veteran

Well I will be the one vote for CP then!! Although I have never been to CM, I love CP and MUCH prefer to eat later while at WDW. Are you on the dining plan? I find that it is so much food that I need to space meals faaaarrrr apart so I am not walking around in a food coma all day. Also, you do already have some Mickey meals planned so why not give Pooh a chance?! Crystal Palace is really a lovely place.
SuzieN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 12:23 PM   #13
smiths02
DIS Veteran

3 Mickey Meals is a bit much IMHO, especially for older kids. Although Pooh is a little babyish. Could you keep CM and Ohana and switch Garden Grill to something else in Epcot?
2010-Jolly Roger
Disneyworld
2003-AKL-celebrate DH return from Iraq
2009-AKL-Birthday Extravaganza-DS 1st trip
2011-CBR- room
2015-Hoping for BCV dream trip to celebrate our twins first trip
smiths02 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 12:36 PM   #14
wiigirl
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disneylover99 View Post
I've eaten at both places and love both buffets. I would choose CM's instead of CP because of the reservation time. We are early eaters, especially with young kids.
Old 10-17-2013, 03:09 PM   #15
Sheilby
Labels aren't my thing

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuzieN View Post
Well I will be the one vote for CP then!! Although I have never been to CM, I love CP and MUCH prefer to eat later while at WDW. Are you on the dining plan? I find that it is so much food that I need to space meals faaaarrrr apart so I am not walking around in a food coma all day. Also, you do already have some Mickey meals planned so why not give Pooh a chance?! Crystal Palace is really a lovely place.
Sure, ruin our perfect record

If we went to dinner at 5:15 we would definitely skip lunch. I just wish that Wishes was a bit later that night because it would fit the later reservation better. Now that you said give Pooh a chance I have the song Give Peace a Chance playing in my head.

Quote:
Originally Posted by smiths02 View Post
3 Mickey Meals is a bit much IMHO, especially for older kids. Although Pooh is a little babyish. Could you keep CM and Ohana and switch Garden Grill to something else in Epcot?
We are actually going to Garden Grill because the boys like the idea of a spinning restaurant and they liked Living with the Land last time, not because of Mickey. Does Mickey always show up there? I wasn't sure since I read something about Chip and Dale being the main characters and Mickey and Pluto usually making an appearance but not definite. We have 3 partial days in Epcot so we also have reservations at Chefs de France and and Coral Reef. We are trying to do all new restaurants this time (we were there for our 1st family trip in 2010).

The Ohana breakfast is more about Stitch for them. I was telling them about the Stitch Ride and they decided to watch all the Stitch movies and now they want to go. Yes, they are weird kids.

I originally had LTT for the date we are discussing, but it was a repeat from last time so when CP opened up I grabbed it the other day and dropped LLT but kept checking for an earlier time for CP. I was shocked when CM opened up so I grabbed it (not sure why it didn't automatically cancel CP) but I don't want to hold two reservations so I want to give one up. The time of CP is what is really throwing me, plus I want to get a lot of use out of our PP+.

Clearly Disney has made me insane, I blame Mickey.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: