Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read



Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-17-2013, 11:21 AM   #1
autismgoesdisney
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 1,579

Excursion questions

My January 11, 2014 Fantasy cruise stops at:

Saint Maarten
St. Thomas/St. John, U.S. Virgin Islands
Castaway Cay.

Two excursions we are interested in with our three kids (9, 7 and 5) is one the St. Thomas skyride. I saw this in a trip report and thought my kids would LOVE it. However, when I looked for it under Disney excursions for St. Thomas/St. John, U.S. Virgin Islands I couldn't find it. Anyone know how I look more into this or help me with this?

Next, snorkeling. My hubby and I have wanted to snorkel and the kids would like to try. We do not want hours and hours of snorkeling by any means, but thought it would be fun to take a fun boat and do some snorkeling while in St. Maarten possibly.

Castaway Cay I'm thinking will be our beach day. Is there any inflatables in the water or trampolines or anything? Is there just a beach? Just trying to figure out if we need/want a cabana or not. We are travelling with family so I'm thinking with 2 families in on the cost, it may not be so bad???
__________________
DH DD10 DS8 DD6
Next trip to WDW
August 27, 2014-September 6, 2014 - hoping for CBR!

Previous trips to WDW: 1981 Poly; 1984 Poly; Mar 2001 CSR; Nov 2008 Sports AS; Dec 2010 POP Century; Aug 2011 POR; Aug 2012 CBR/POR; Aug 2013 AOA/POR; Aug 2014 POR
Previous cruises: Carnival Splendor April 2013; Disney Fantasy January 2014;
autismgoesdisney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 07:47 AM   #2
autismgoesdisney
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 1,579

Anyone?
__________________
DH DD10 DS8 DD6
Next trip to WDW
August 27, 2014-September 6, 2014 - hoping for CBR!

Previous trips to WDW: 1981 Poly; 1984 Poly; Mar 2001 CSR; Nov 2008 Sports AS; Dec 2010 POP Century; Aug 2011 POR; Aug 2012 CBR/POR; Aug 2013 AOA/POR; Aug 2014 POR
Previous cruises: Carnival Splendor April 2013; Disney Fantasy January 2014;
autismgoesdisney is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 10-18-2013, 08:10 AM   #3
Moxin
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 456

Quote:
Originally Posted by autismgoesdisney View Post
My January 11, 2014 Fantasy cruise stops at:

Saint Maarten
St. Thomas/St. John, U.S. Virgin Islands
Castaway Cay.

Two excursions we are interested in with our three kids (9, 7 and 5) is one the St. Thomas skyride. I saw this in a trip report and thought my kids would LOVE it. However, when I looked for it under Disney excursions for St. Thomas/St. John, U.S. Virgin Islands I couldn't find it. Anyone know how I look more into this or help me with this?

Next, snorkeling. My hubby and I have wanted to snorkel and the kids would like to try. We do not want hours and hours of snorkeling by any means, but thought it would be fun to take a fun boat and do some snorkeling while in St. Maarten possibly.

Castaway Cay I'm thinking will be our beach day. Is there any inflatables in the water or trampolines or anything? Is there just a beach? Just trying to figure out if we need/want a cabana or not. We are travelling with family so I'm thinking with 2 families in on the cost, it may not be so bad???
I cannot give enough praise to the Doubloon sail n snorkel on St Thomas. Your kids will LOVE it...all pirate themed, great crew that really knows what they're doing. It's only 4 hours.

You sail out on a Pirate ship...they even have the kids help raise the sails. Sail out to Turtle Cove, snorkel for an hour with the turtles. We saw sting rays, turtles, all sorts of gorgeous reef fish, and one big barracuda. Rum punch for the adults on the way back, and everyone gets a really cool temp pirate tat. Lots of kids on board, and they all love it.

It's one of the best excursions they offer.
__________________
Moxin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 08:34 AM   #4
Tikihula
DIS Veteran
 
Tikihula's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Florida Panhandle
Posts: 856

You can rent snorkel gear and various floats on Castaway Cay. There's a nice water play area called Pelican Plunge at the family beach, with climbs and slides. I've never seen any trampolines. They also have water trikes for rent as well as kayaks, paddle boats, and small sailboats. If you want to see other parts of the island you can rent adult and kid sized bikes.

Sharing a cabana is a good idea since they are so expensive, but there may not be any left for your cruise, as they go very quickly and gold and platinum members (who have sailed before on DCL) have priority for reserving them.
Tikihula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 10:19 AM   #5
truck1
Growing older but not up.
 
truck1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Clermont Fl
Posts: 4,136

I can't help you with the St Maartens but CC has its own snorkeling lagoon slides beaches etc. There's no trampolines that I've seen there.
truck1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 10:36 AM   #6
Lissame
DIS Veteran
 
Lissame's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Kelso, WA
Posts: 1,179

I believe that the "Best of St Thomas Island Tour and Shopping" has a trip up the skyride. Otherwise you could easily do it on your own.
Lissame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 05:02 PM   #7
autismgoesdisney
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 1,579

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lissame View Post
I believe that the "Best of St Thomas Island Tour and Shopping" has a trip up the skyride. Otherwise you could easily do it on your own.
Has anyone done both the sky ride and the snorkeling with turtles that can compare the two? What about Saint Maarten? Anything. Fun to do there?
__________________
DH DD10 DS8 DD6
Next trip to WDW
August 27, 2014-September 6, 2014 - hoping for CBR!

Previous trips to WDW: 1981 Poly; 1984 Poly; Mar 2001 CSR; Nov 2008 Sports AS; Dec 2010 POP Century; Aug 2011 POR; Aug 2012 CBR/POR; Aug 2013 AOA/POR; Aug 2014 POR
Previous cruises: Carnival Splendor April 2013; Disney Fantasy January 2014;
autismgoesdisney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 05:41 PM   #8
disneymagicgirl
Been there, Done that, Going back!
 
disneymagicgirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Franklin, TN
Posts: 3,864

You can walk to the sky ride from the ship.
__________________
MeDH,DD15,DS6 DS4
offsite in 1988,AKL 5/04,POP 6/05,ASMu 12/05 with MVMCP, ASMo 9/06 w/ MNSSHP,4/09 AKL, 9/09 MNSSHP & 7nt E.Carib DCL w/ Tortola, 10/10 Poly w/ MNSSHP, 10/11 POFQ w/ MNSSHP, 5/12 DCL Fantasy W. Carib and AKL/MK, 05/13 BC
disneymagicgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 07:25 PM   #9
autismgoesdisney
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 1,579

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneymagicgirl View Post
You can walk to the sky ride from the ship.
Thank you! I don't know which one to do now. The snorkeling with the turtles sounds awesome.
__________________
DH DD10 DS8 DD6
Next trip to WDW
August 27, 2014-September 6, 2014 - hoping for CBR!

Previous trips to WDW: 1981 Poly; 1984 Poly; Mar 2001 CSR; Nov 2008 Sports AS; Dec 2010 POP Century; Aug 2011 POR; Aug 2012 CBR/POR; Aug 2013 AOA/POR; Aug 2014 POR
Previous cruises: Carnival Splendor April 2013; Disney Fantasy January 2014;
autismgoesdisney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 08:54 PM   #10
disneymagicgirl
Been there, Done that, Going back!
 
disneymagicgirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Franklin, TN
Posts: 3,864

Quote:
Originally Posted by autismgoesdisney View Post
Thank you! I don't know which one to do now. The snorkeling with the turtles sounds awesome.
I would just do the turtles and when that is over you can probably do the sky lift too. I don't know how much time the turtles will take, but we spent the day at Magen's Bay and still had time to do the incline and wander the city center after.
__________________
MeDH,DD15,DS6 DS4
offsite in 1988,AKL 5/04,POP 6/05,ASMu 12/05 with MVMCP, ASMo 9/06 w/ MNSSHP,4/09 AKL, 9/09 MNSSHP & 7nt E.Carib DCL w/ Tortola, 10/10 Poly w/ MNSSHP, 10/11 POFQ w/ MNSSHP, 5/12 DCL Fantasy W. Carib and AKL/MK, 05/13 BC
disneymagicgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 09:27 PM   #11
Bear3412
DIS Veteran
 
Bear3412's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: No. VA
Posts: 4,379

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneymagicgirl View Post
I would just do the turtles and when that is over you can probably do the sky lift too. .....


I can also confirm that this is an excursion to book. I will add though the little (35-45 foot) vessels for this excursion can encounter seas in the passage to cross to the island, which may permit these vessels to rock and roll. May I suggest Bonine the night before and in the morning for all. Of course this is weather related. I will add each time we have done this excursion at least two people (adults) were sick aboard coming back. Seas were 3-5 foot fwiw. Wind 20 -30 mph. No sails were used during our times, either direction.

This Doubloon tour has two options. Half day and full day. I would do 1/2 day with your kids, then see if the lift to Paradise Point is open/operational. Currently it is not AFAIK. If not, just walk the island or shop after snorkeling.

The 1/2 day Doubloon tour is awesome. Actually both are awesome however, if you do the full day you may be limited, or at least feel that way, with time constraints, if you are on one of the sailings that leaves St. Thomas early.

Half day; http://disneycruise.disney.go.com/cr...l-and-snorkel/

Full day; http://disneycruise.disney.go.com/cr...neymoon-beach/

Fwiw the Paradise Point excursion is not listed on the DCL site as an option currently. This is the result of the closure/work/renovations.
I'm confident it should be back up and available within a month. But who knows? ? ?

HTH

Last edited by Bear3412; 10-18-2013 at 09:59 PM.
Bear3412 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 12:21 AM   #12
Bear3412
DIS Veteran
 
Bear3412's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: No. VA
Posts: 4,379

BTW have you seen the Main Eastern Caribbean Excursion Thread? ; http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2873063

If you decide to read, may I suggest you do so in reverse.

HTH
Bear3412 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 10:12 AM   #13
autismgoesdisney
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 1,579

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bear3412 View Post


I can also confirm that this is an excursion to book. I will add though the little (35-45 foot) vessels for this excursion can encounter seas in the passage to cross to the island, which may permit these vessels to rock and roll. May I suggest Bonine the night before and in the morning for all. Of course this is weather related. I will add each time we have done this excursion at least two people (adults) were sick aboard coming back. Seas were 3-5 foot fwiw. Wind 20 -30 mph. No sails were used during our times, either direction.

This Doubloon tour has two options. Half day and full day. I would do 1/2 day with your kids, then see if the lift to Paradise Point is open/operational. Currently it is not AFAIK. If not, just walk the island or shop after snorkeling.

The 1/2 day Doubloon tour is awesome. Actually both are awesome however, if you do the full day you may be limited, or at least feel that way, with time constraints, if you are on one of the sailings that leaves St. Thomas early.

Half day; http://disneycruise.disney.go.com/cr...l-and-snorkel/

Full day; http://disneycruise.disney.go.com/cr...neymoon-beach/

Fwiw the Paradise Point excursion is not listed on the DCL site as an option currently. This is the result of the closure/work/renovations.
I'm confident it should be back up and available within a month. But who knows? ? ?

HTH
This was VERY helpful! Thank you! Exactly what I was looking for. We are going to book the half day. I'm a little worried now about getting sick ... I get sick easily. Will take Bonine and will have the patch from the cruise so hopefully I'm ok.

I hear you can just walk to the skyride from the port so hopefully we can do that after for the kids. My 9 year old saw a trip report with that and is dead set on it LOL!
__________________
DH DD10 DS8 DD6
Next trip to WDW
August 27, 2014-September 6, 2014 - hoping for CBR!

Previous trips to WDW: 1981 Poly; 1984 Poly; Mar 2001 CSR; Nov 2008 Sports AS; Dec 2010 POP Century; Aug 2011 POR; Aug 2012 CBR/POR; Aug 2013 AOA/POR; Aug 2014 POR
Previous cruises: Carnival Splendor April 2013; Disney Fantasy January 2014;
autismgoesdisney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 12:07 PM   #14
Lissame
DIS Veteran
 
Lissame's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Kelso, WA
Posts: 1,179

In St Maarten we've booked the Lord Sheffield Sailing ship and snorkel trip on our own. I am really excited as it looks wonderful!
Lissame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 09:45 AM   #15
autismgoesdisney
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 1,579

If we do snorkeling in St. Thomas/St. John, then I don't think we need to do it in St. Maarten too. I'm thinking either renting a couple of small motor boats and cruising the Simpson Bay Lagoon and stopping and docking in Marigot for some pastries. Or Maho Beach. Both sound wonderful to me. Anyone know anywhere we can do both?
__________________
DH DD10 DS8 DD6
Next trip to WDW
August 27, 2014-September 6, 2014 - hoping for CBR!

Previous trips to WDW: 1981 Poly; 1984 Poly; Mar 2001 CSR; Nov 2008 Sports AS; Dec 2010 POP Century; Aug 2011 POR; Aug 2012 CBR/POR; Aug 2013 AOA/POR; Aug 2014 POR
Previous cruises: Carnival Splendor April 2013; Disney Fantasy January 2014;
autismgoesdisney is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:57 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.