DVC RESALES
DVC RESALES

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Vacation Club > DVC Member Services
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-09-2013, 07:24 PM   #1
moran66
Mouseketeer

Transfering points too often?

Hi I am entering my second year as an owner and I have already tranfered points in 2012 and 2013 onto my contract of 160 points it has been 300 points for each year. I plan to do this often as my larger extended family likes to go every other year plus we like to get down there 3X a year. So my question is has Disney ever restricted or put restrictions on members from getting transfers each year? I only ask because I called MS a few times and they seem pretty shocked when they saw how many points trasfered in " WOW you just had alot of points put in there" etc .. thanks in advance
Old 10-09-2013, 08:54 PM   #2
OKW Lover

Yes, we love Old Key West
Connoisseur of the fine things in life, and has the time to enjoy them (Just ask his wife)

I thought the restriction was no more than one transfer in/out per year. Are you doing more that that?
Register to remove

Old 10-09-2013, 09:08 PM   #3
DebbieB
DVC Member BWV 99
You have to compare apples to apples

Once per use year.
Old 10-10-2013, 07:33 AM   #4
gray52
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by moran66 View Post
Hi I am entering my second year as an owner and I have already tranfered points in 2012 and 2013 onto my contract of 160 points it has been 300 points for each year. I plan to do this often as my larger extended family likes to go every other year plus we like to get down there 3X a year. So my question is has Disney ever restricted or put restrictions on members from getting transfers each year? I only ask because I called MS a few times and they seem pretty shocked when they saw how many points trasfered in " WOW you just had alot of points put in there" etc .. thanks in advance
Only one transfer in OR out per year.

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards
gray52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 08:00 AM   #5
CarolMN
DVC Co-Moderator

DISboards Moderator

DVC can (and has in the past) changed the rules for transferring points. They could do so again.

BWV - Early Morning on May 2, 2008
CarolMN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 09:55 AM   #6
heynowirv
DIS Veteran

True Carol,
It seems to depend on the CM and circumstance.
heynowirv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 04:07 PM   #7
CarolMN
DVC Co-Moderator

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by heynowirv View Post
True Carol,
It seems to depend on the CM and circumstance.
Not really (unless you mean between contracts owned by the same individual).

I remember when unlimited transfers in the same direction were allowed - either into your account or out of your account, but not both in the same use year. Now it is one transfer per use year per membership, either out of your account or into your account, but not both in the same use year.

While I can't remember other versions, I'm sure there have been others.

My point was just that no one can count on transfer rules staying the same. They can and have changed more than once since DVC was established, and it is entirely up to Disney's discretion to do so.

BWV - Early Morning on May 2, 2008
CarolMN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 04:30 PM   #8
heynowirv
DIS Veteran

Carol,
Last summer I had 1 point to use or lose so i gave it away to someone on the disboards,i also had given points non-DVC member who's sister became VERY ill from Chemo and within the 30 day mark of his trip. When i called the CM i spoke to was very helpful and able to place my points back into my bank without any issues.
heynowirv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 04:46 PM   #9
tjkraz

DVC Owner SSR

Quote:
Originally Posted by heynowirv View Post
Carol,
Last summer I had 1 point to use or lose so i gave it away to someone on the disboards,i also had given points non-DVC member who's sister became VERY ill from Chemo and within the 30 day mark of his trip. When i called the CM i spoke to was very helpful and able to place my points back into my bank without any issues.
You can't "give" points to a non DVC member. That was merely rental of a reservation. The points were always under your account, even though the room was booked in another's name. No transfer occurred.

The one point you gave away most likely was a transfer--your one permitted transfer of the year.

To the OPs question, I don't see why DVC would ever further restrict transfers. Allowing just one transfer per year is already pretty restrictive.

DVC owner at SSR, BWV and VGC
tjkraz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 08:01 PM   #10
moran66
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by OKW Lover View Post
I thought the restriction was no more than one transfer in/out per year. Are you doing more that that?
no just alot of points per use year usually double what I have in the contract.
Old 10-16-2013, 08:33 PM   #11
Sammie
DIS Veteran

Quote:
As stated it is only one transfer per year. I imagine they said something because they are probably thinking your paying someone to transfer those points to you since it is a large amount and that is against DVC guidelines of no compensation allowed for transfer.
Sammie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 06:19 AM   #12
Dean
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Since it sounds like this is a long term plan, why not just buy more points? To me the limitations, risks, aggravations and cost of the transfer for this situation far outweigh those of buying. It doesn't seem the best choice even if one is trying to target difficult to reserve resorts with targeted transfers.
Old 10-17-2013, 07:11 PM   #13
moran66
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean View Post
Since it sounds like this is a long term plan, why not just buy more points? To me the limitations, risks, aggravations and cost of the transfer for this situation far outweigh those of buying. It doesn't seem the best choice even if one is trying to target difficult to reserve resorts with targeted transfers.
I would love to buy more points but I dont have that much extra money laying around to buy more points plus I bought roughly a year ago AKL at 58$ per point now its at like 88$ per point which is crazy. the money I get for the transfers are from family members or friends who know they will save by "renting" them from me and book 7 months or more out. I know I could take a loan out but even with the home eq rates so low I dont really want to do that either.
Old 10-17-2013, 07:49 PM   #14
Dean
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I would love to buy more points but I dont have that much extra money laying around to buy more points plus I bought roughly a year ago AKL at 58$ per point now its at like 88$ per point which is crazy. the money I get for the transfers are from family members or friends who know they will save by "renting" them from me and book 7 months or more out. I know I could take a loan out but even with the home eq rates so low I dont really want to do that either.
There's a lot going on here it seems. So you're running a rental business by owning a smaller contract and paying to have points transferred in? You can afford to transfer in 300 points a year for several years in a row (or even more than 1 in a year it sounds like) but can't get it together to buy a contract for cash. I certainly concur with not financing (and not having other consumer debt owning a timeshare) but it seems you're making this a lot more complicated, risky and likely more expensive long term than it has to be. If you truly need more points you might consider taking a step back, saving up the money and buying a loaded contract that fits your needs maybe of around 180-250 or so. Then if you plan to continue that model, rent those out borrowing ahead and then possibly buy an additional loaded contract for cash. Now if you wanted to wait a year or 2 hoping prices will come down (I think they will) then that would seem reasonable but I'm not sure the transfer route is the way to go currently even then. I could also easily see some fall out from this issue related to the commercial renting clause both for you and the membership as a whole.
Old 10-17-2013, 07:54 PM   #15
CruzTerri
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Consider me confused: Are you transferring your points in/out to/from others OR are you renting your points to your family? These are two different types of transactions.

Renting your points, you are making the reservations and the points are staying in your possession. That is not a transfer.

Transferring points to/from another member, the points come out of/into your account. This is like taking money out of your checking account to put it in your child's savings account.

It's my understanding that you can either transfer points into OR out of your account only ONCE per UY.

Radiance of the Seas - 4/7/01; Vision of the Seas - 12/2/01; Brilliance of the Seas - 3/7/03; Carnival Paradise - 9/2003; Monarch of the Seas - 5/7/2004; Radiance of the Seas 10/23/2005; Infinity - 02/05/2006; Golden Princess 10/29/2006; Monarch of the Seas - 12/27/2006; Explorer of the Seas - 3/28/2008; Monarch of the Seas - 06/13/2008; Celebrity Constellation - 09/19/2009; Oasis of the Seas 11/6 & 11/13/2010 (B2B); Disney Wonder 11/4/2012
CruzTerri is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: