Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-17-2013, 08:39 AM   #16
HopperFan
"It's a bug-eat-bug world out there, princess. One of those "circle of life" kind of things."

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnceUponATime15 View Post

Looking forward to trying out POP.. I've heard many good things about it. I know though that I will miss my moderate resorts... especially those quiet pools.
We usually stay in the 50's (facing the lake) and the bowling pin pool is extremely quiet. We have never had more than a dozen people in the pool with us, and it's a big pool. A few times we were the only ones. We swim late afternoon and evenings. But I've never seen it crowded any time we walked by. It truly is a quiet pool!
2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012 & 2013 for "COMPLIMENTARY" Dining

Making Magical Visits since 1971 ~ now visiting 5-6 weeks per year ON PROPERTY STAYS & Our Star Rating:
Animal Kingdom Lodge 2x ~ Wilderness Lodge
Coronado Springs 6x ~ PO Riverside (Dixie Landings) 5x (1xRoyal) ~ Bonnett Creek (w/car)
POP Century 13x ~ Hilton DTD 2x
All Star Movie ~ Doubletree Suites DTD 2x ~ Wilderness Cabins ~ All Star Sports 3x
Caribbean Beach 2x (1xPirate) ~ All Star Music 2x
Lots of offsite, but somehow it never seems right, 'though Rosen Shingle Creek was luxury I could get used to !
HopperFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 10:13 AM   #17
OnceUponATime15
Disney frequent flyer..

Quote:
Originally Posted by HopperFan View Post

We usually stay in the 50's (facing the lake) and the bowling pin pool is extremely quiet. We have never had more than a dozen people in the pool with us, and it's a big pool. A few times we were the only ones. We swim late afternoon and evenings. But I've never seen it crowded any time we walked by. It truly is a quiet pool!
Very good to know! Is it close to transportation & main building? (don't have a resort map handy, I'm on my phone). We've reserved a preferred room..

OnceUponATime15 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-17-2013, 01:43 PM   #18
HopperFan
"It's a bug-eat-bug world out there, princess. One of those "circle of life" kind of things."

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnceUponATime15 View Post
Very good to know! Is it close to transportation & main building? (don't have a resort map handy, I'm on my phone). We've reserved a preferred room..
We don't think it's a long walk at all. I think from room to the food court was maybe 4-5 minutes from Bldg 3, Lakeside. I am traveling with a slow walker. I love I can open my door and be looking at a lake for value standard rates I request Building 3 Lakeview. I am going back in Feb and considering asking for Building 4 Lakeview because we won't swim much that time of year AND I will be closer to the AoA Food Court which is very good. We walked over and ate there a few times last month. I've stayed 90's (Bldg 8 - never again) and 70's (Bldg 6 Lakeview - great location to main hub) and prefer to stay 50's.

Red boxes are preferred, and for me not necessary. I also do not want to face the pools.

2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012 & 2013 for "COMPLIMENTARY" Dining

Making Magical Visits since 1971 ~ now visiting 5-6 weeks per year ON PROPERTY STAYS & Our Star Rating:
Animal Kingdom Lodge 2x ~ Wilderness Lodge
Coronado Springs 6x ~ PO Riverside (Dixie Landings) 5x (1xRoyal) ~ Bonnett Creek (w/car)
POP Century 13x ~ Hilton DTD 2x
All Star Movie ~ Doubletree Suites DTD 2x ~ Wilderness Cabins ~ All Star Sports 3x
Caribbean Beach 2x (1xPirate) ~ All Star Music 2x
Lots of offsite, but somehow it never seems right, 'though Rosen Shingle Creek was luxury I could get used to !
HopperFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 02:11 PM   #19
The Great Oz
Earning My Ears

We have stayed at POP several times, usually with 3 adults and twice with 4. We love it there because of the atmosphere and busses. Long walk however when leaving the parks. We do not spend a lot of time in the room. I would not stay there in your situation. With your luggage I'm not sure you would have room for a pack-&-play. If the difference is only $200 I would do POR. We have stayed there twice and it's real nice. Busses don't seem to be as abundant, but not as crowded on returning. My DD has stayed at CBR (I haven't) and she said it was a long walk to get anywhere because the resort is so strung out. I hope this helps and enjoy your trip!
The Great Oz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 02:25 PM   #20
DevonsDisneyMom
DIS Veteran

My vote is for POR! Very relaxing atmosphere, plus I like the boat service to and from DTD.
Old 10-17-2013, 02:35 PM   #21
mm1971
DIS Veteran

POR is definitely worth $200 more. You get larger rooms, queen beds, nice food court and sit down restaurant. The grounds are beautiful and not too far of a walk from everything. You can take the boat to DTD and rent boats and bikes at the marina. They have hair braiding for the girls and horse and buggy rides available. Main pool and quiet pools.

CBR still has the smaller beds, can be a loooonnngggg walk depending on the building your in and the food court is just OK. Our family thought Shudders may have been the worst food we have eaten at Disney in 7 years.

POP is nice, but for the extra money you'll get so much more.

mm1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 02:39 PM   #22
Figmentmommy
Mouseketeer

Definitely POR! It is a favorite of ours for so many reasons. The theming is lovely and there is a lot of recreation at this resort (boating, surrey bikes, fishing) and the boat ride to DTD is very relaxing. Boatwrights restaurant is a nice change of pace from the busier places. The rooms fit 4/5 comfortably. I wouldn't worry about paying for a preferred room b/c the walk around the property is enjoyable....and if you're lucky like we were the last time we stayed, the CM at check in might just upgrade you without even having to ask! They did it for us just to be nice. I think you will find that paying $200 extra is worth it! I'm sure you'll have a great trip no matter where you stay...it is Disney after all!
Figmentmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 10:12 PM   #23
KeriWDE
Mouseketeer

Wow, that's a lot of good recommendations for POR and even POFQ.

Since I posted my question, I've learned that our daughter's principal will not excuse her absence for our trip, so we will likely be going during Spring Break.

Shoot me now, please.

Considering it will be much more crowded at the end of March, when compared to our previous schedule of the end of February, I'm just as undecided.

It looks like CBR is off the table, based on the responses I've gotten here.

I will see if POFQ is available.

My only complaints with POP have been the walk to the buses when leaving the parks and bed size and room size.

Two sinks at POR might be wonderful... But that's $200~ we can spend on souvenirs. Multiple bus stops during a busy time at POR is a negative.

hmmmmm...

Still things to consider.

THANK YOU ALL for your input!
KeriWDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 10:51 PM   #24
medicgirl177
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeriWDE View Post
Wow, that's a lot of good recommendations for POR and even POFQ. Since I posted my question, I've learned that our daughter's principal will not excuse her absence for our trip, so we will likely be going during Spring Break. Shoot me now, please. Considering it will be much more crowded at the end of March, when compared to our previous schedule of the end of February, I'm just as undecided. It looks like CBR is off the table, based on the responses I've gotten here. I will see if POFQ is available. My only complaints with POP have been the walk to the buses when leaving the parks and bed size and room size. Two sinks at POR might be wonderful... But that's $200~ we can spend on souvenirs. Multiple bus stops during a busy time at POR is a negative. hmmmmm... Still things to consider. THANK YOU ALL for your input!
Have you considered Art of Animation? They have the newer family-sized suites that are still modestly priced. I can tell you, I have stayed in several resort levels over the years, and any of them with a pack/play will be tight. One recommendation I have is to see if they will move the table out of the room for the pack/play, it frees up a lot of space.....

medicgirl177 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 09:48 AM   #25
KeriWDE
Mouseketeer

Getting confused now...

again...

Do POR and POFQ share a bus system? If POFQ has its own dedicated bus system, then I might choose it over POR.

My figures for March are a little more, of course. It seems the price difference between POR/POFQ and POP (for same days/pkg) is about $500.

Will price AoA for comparison...
Old 10-18-2013, 10:43 AM   #26
dansdad
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Getting confused now...

again...

Do POR and POFQ share a bus system?
Sometimes, yes.
Old 10-18-2013, 08:08 PM   #27
KeriWDE
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dansdad View Post
Sometimes, yes.
What are the conditions that would cause that to happen? (sharing buses with POR)
Old 10-19-2013, 11:30 AM   #28
ShhhQ
DIS Veteran

Quote:
What are the conditions that would cause that to happen? (sharing buses with POR)
When I stayed at POR the buses were often shared, as it was the slow season... I think only the MK was dedicated.. but they weren't bad either.

Sad to say that a trip to Disney and the scariest ride you went on was a bus ride!!!
Enjoy your vacation, you may never know when your last vacation will end up being your LAST VACATION!!
ShhhQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 11:40 AM   #29
dansdad
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeriWDE

When it's slow season or slow parts of the day. If there's a handful of people on the bus at POFQ it might swing by POR and fill up before heading to a park.

And at a park if there's a handful of people waiting to go back at each resort's queue it might pick them all up. It all depends.

We don't take mid day breaks, so we've never experienced shared buses during our stays. We head out early morning and don't come back until late.
Old 10-19-2013, 11:44 AM   #30
Sparkly

Then a bunch of people started commenting on it
I wondered if people really lived there and got to watch them every night

CBR really isn't that much bigger then POR is. They both have multiple stops. I've heard that the typical walk from the furthest out point to the food court is about 7ish minutes. IMO POR is bigger looking.

The only issue is that there's still only full size beds, although this is changing next April.

Nov 2003, Feb 2005,Aug 2006, Apr 2008, Feb 2011, Feb 2012, Feb 2013!, Feb 2014, March 2015
Trip reports! :: Feb 2012 TR ~ PTR ~ No Faith in Google Maps, Trust and Pixie Dust! ~ Ohana Means Family, Family Means Dad is Left Behind For A Girly Trip!

Sparkly is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: