Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-15-2013, 07:44 PM   #1
Polynesian27
Mouseketeer

Fort Wilderness Cabins - A strong possibility!

I grew up camping as a kid and haven't been in a campground for over 10 years! My DW and DS are planning a trip for April 2014 with the possibility of my parents joining us. When my folks join us on Disney trips we usually get a 1 or 2 bedroom villa which is extremely expensive. Its much less if you rent points but still pretty pricey. I thought about looking into the cabins at Fort Wilderness as a cheaper alternative to the deluxe villas. I just think it would be so cool to vacation in a cabin on Disney property, ride golf carts all around, and enjoy the wilderness with the family! But I need some help deciding from experienced people who have stayed in the cabins! Are the cabins in good shape or are they in need of renovations? Do you think 4 adults and a 2 year old would be comfortable for a week long stay? I'm so curious to read about peoples experience in these cabins! It just seems like a great deal for the price! Thanks for your help!!
Polynesian27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 08:52 AM   #2
fla4fun
DIS Veteran

I have only stayed in them solo, so I can't really comment on how it feels to have a lot of people in there. But the times I have stayed there, the cabins were not in need of renovation. I did not rent a golf cart since it's hard to justify the expense for one person, but the bus got me everywhere I wanted to go. If you drive, you have your own driveway to park in. It feels a lot like a neighborhood instead of a hotel. There are two things to consider though. The cabin has two double beds and the bunks. Are you OK with double beds? Also, the bathroom is all in one room, so unless you like sharing, only one person has access at a time. You can use the kitchen sink, and there is a mirrored counter in the bedroom. You could also request to be in the loop that is close a comfort station (can't remember the number off the top of my head, either 2000 or 2100) so people could use the comfort station for supplemental bathrooms.

Check out the camping board here at the DIS. It's full of great info!
fla4fun is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-16-2013, 09:33 AM   #3
roomthreeseventeen
Inaugural Dopey Challenge finisher

We stayed in the Cabins this summer and thought they were nicer than any of the DVC properties we've seen.
AKL (marathon weekend) and ... AKL (Wine and Dine)
2013 Fort Wilderness 2014 Dopey Challenge AKL
2015 Dopey Challenge at POR!

roomthreeseventeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 09:45 AM   #4
Sandi
A proud Spartans fan!

We've stayed with 6 people in the cabin; 3 adults and 3 kids. We did fine, but it was a little crowded for my liking. The worst part was sharing one bathroom.

The Cabin allowed for a very affordable vacation with my sister and her family, but I think I would not do it again with that many people. The cabin was in wonderful shape; I wouldn't say it needs renovation. We rented a golf cart and that was well used. The FW grounds are lovely and we enjoyed the feature pool as well as the quiet pool near our cabin.

Sandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 09:50 AM   #5
wiigirl
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by roomthreeseventeen View Post
We stayed in the Cabins this summer and thought they were nicer than any of the DVC properties we've seen.
Old 10-16-2013, 12:01 PM   #6
Polynesian27
Mouseketeer

Thank you! Is there golf cart parking by the boat that takes your to MK?
Old 10-16-2013, 12:06 PM   #7
KonaKaiTom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polynesian27 View Post
Thank you! Is there golf cart parking by the boat that takes your to MK?
Yes, there is an area designated just for the carts.

Tom
Old 10-16-2013, 02:51 PM   #8
jesster
Earning My Ears

Our family of five stayed in a cabin for a week in March 2012, and our boys were 7, 4 and 2 at the time. We all loved it. I am pretty sure the resort was our favorite part - we didn't want to leave! The cabin itself was in great shape, very comfortable for the five of us. Our then 2-year-old was able to nap every day at the cabin, and I was able to hang out in the living room while he slept, or outside at the picnic table, while the others rode around on the golf cart exploring the resort.

The resort itself is amazing (I personally LOVED camp-y the theme), there is so much to do, and loop doesn't matter so much if you have a golf cart. My boys loved the activities at the pool, my eldest really liked having breakfast and dinner at Trails End, and the nearby hula hoops, rocking chairs and playground were a big hit, too. Buses were quick, the boat ride to MK was a nice change of pace. We even took the boat to CR and Poly for QS dining when we didn't feel like cooking. Great location, so fun, and beautiful. Huh. Why are we not staying there next time?!

Have a GREAT trip!

Dreaming of our next trip... April 2015?
jesster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 06:38 PM   #9
Polynesian27
Mouseketeer

Thank you Jesster, what a great review! You really sold me lol. Now my only problem is convincing my wife to stay in a cabin for a week! After reading all about the cabins and reading these reviews I think it would be so much fun and a nice change from all the resorts! Riding a golf cart to breakfast or dinner...how cool is that!!
Old 10-16-2013, 08:14 PM   #10
Fancychicken
Earning My Ears

I love Ft. Wilderness! We have stayed in the cabins twice now, two years in a row. They are very nice and clean. My only beef is that the beds are only full-sized. My husband is 6'1" and he has to lie diagonally to fit, leaving me with only a pie slice for sleeping space. Maybe it's just me and my sleeping space issues, but just throwing that out there in case you have any skyscrapers in your traveling party! :-)
Fancychicken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 12:28 PM   #11
sharadoc
Visiting Disney World since 1986, happily driving every trip since 1994.

My family LOVES Fort Wilderness and a cabin is our first choice. We've stayed at all levels and the cabin has SO many advantages for us vs. every other option.

We have quiet, since there is no one above, below or around us. No running feet in the hallway, no slamming doors, no flushing toilets or running water. One stay at OKW, we had elephants staying above us who woke up at 6 am every day. Never happen at a cabin.

Parking at our front door. Love driving to parks and coming home directly to our room vs. parking in a lot and walking, or taking a bus.

The boat to MK is wonderful and the waterfront area has a lot of fun stuff. The fireworks and Electrical Water Pageant is a regular activity for us.

The nature. It's not concrete and bright colors. It's trees, grass, dirt, armadillos, deer, lizards, birds, ducks, etc. I LOVE sitting at the cabin pool and just soaking in the nature.

At holiday times the decorations are phenomenal. Campers fill their sites with blow-ups, lights and special displays. It's wonderful.

The friendly people. No one's friendlier, as a group, than the folks who stay at Fort Wilderness!

Watch Osborne Lights 2013 Winter Wonderland! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EcF2eEkqtWk

6X POFQ; 3X ASMu FS, FW cabin; 2x BWV, OKW; 1X BCV, YC, CR-TPV, SSR plus many offsite in the 80's
sharadoc is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: