Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-28-2014, 10:58 AM   #1
Jing
Genius in Training

Poly or Contemporary

Hubs and our 22-month old are going to Disney for the first time as a family in late-October 2015. I have a conference at Coronado for 2.5 of the 7-days, but I have stayed there before and am not into it, particularly since we would have to bus it everywhere with Mr. Littles. We narrowed it down to these two resorts since MK will be the prime park. We have not stayed in either (well, I did go to CR in 1986, but I was 8 so that doesn't count) so I would like a little guidance.

We will not do the dining plan this go-around and will likely do a beach run at least one day (my brother lives in Orlando). Character meals are high on the list, and hubs and I plan one night out at Cali Grill just the two-of-us (most likely would pay for an in-room babysitter). We would prefer to stay club-level if we went with a resort room, but are open to doing the DVC-condo if we can still get mousekeeping.

While a split-stay may be possible, it sounds like more hassle than me just busing it from MK to Coronado in the morning.

Suggestions?
Jing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 11:12 AM   #2
hedberg1661
DIS Veteran

CR no question. First off...if the "littles" gets tired/cranky or even the hubby for that matter, you can just take a quick monorail or walk back to the resort. No problem. Character meal at Chef Mickey is a must if you want that interaction and it is located at CR. You also mentioned Cali Grill which is located at CR as well. To me if you are looking for all of that you made that decision quite easy!

Enjoy
1990's-2006 - Multiple trips ...mostly to BC, 2010 - BC, July 2012 - AKL, BLT, December 2012 - BC, April 2013 - DL, DCA Offsite, July 2013 - BLT, December 2013 - BC, July 2014 - BLT, October 2014 - S&D, 2014-15? - DCL, BC?

And as always: Por favor manténganse alejado de las puertas.

hedberg1661 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-28-2014, 11:18 AM   #3
5bound4wdw
Earning My Ears

We have stayed at both resorts, and enjoyed both stays. The Poly is gorgeous, but pretty spread out. Depending on where your building is, you may be walking a bit to get back to your room. Not really a bad thing...the grounds are beautiful! I would check on the construction going on there though. If you're going to spend that kind of money, you don't want to hear all that noise

We mostly book the Contemporary. I have three kids, and being able to just walk back to the resort at the end of the night is awesome. The monorail can have a VERY long line!! By the time the Poly resort guests get on the monorail, we are already in our Jammies.
Old 07-28-2014, 11:33 AM   #4
mickeynut1
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jing View Post
Hubs and our 22-month old are going to Disney for the first time as a family in late-October 2015. I have a conference at Coronado for 2.5 of the 7-days, but I have stayed there before and am not into it, particularly since we would have to bus it everywhere with Mr. Littles. We narrowed it down to these two resorts since MK will be the prime park. We have not stayed in either (well, I did go to CR in 1986, but I was 8 so that doesn't count) so I would like a little guidance.

We will not do the dining plan this go-around and will likely do a beach run at least one day (my brother lives in Orlando). Character meals are high on the list, and hubs and I plan one night out at Cali Grill just the two-of-us (most likely would pay for an in-room babysitter). We would prefer to stay club-level if we went with a resort room, but are open to doing the DVC-condo if we can still get mousekeeping.

While a split-stay may be possible, it sounds like more hassle than me just busing it from MK to Coronado in the morning.

Suggestions?
We've never stayed at the CR, but we love the Poly. Both are convenient to MK and while the CR has an edge as it is within walking distance, the Poly is just 2 monorail stops from MK going there and is the 3rd stop when leaving MK. My choice would be the Poly for the beautiful tropical surroundings, but I don't think you can go wrong with either one as I have read many great reviews about CL at both resorts. Good luck.

Country Inn & Suites LBV June 2001 - CBR July 2002 - BC December 2003 - WL CL Oct/Nov 2004 - WL September 2006 - All Star Vacation Homes March 2007 -Poly September 2007 - All Star Vacation Homes March 2008 - AKL/GF SL/WL January 2010 - AKL/GF December 2010 - GF RPC May 2011
mickeynut1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 11:43 AM   #5
ixmnrs
Mouseketeer

It will be interesting to know if Poly will be finished construction by then. The Poly pool / grounds is /will be nicer than CR but with a child that small, the walking distance to CR usually decides it for me.
August 2007: DCL Land (POLY)/Sea(DWonder)
August 2008: Off Site Nickelodeon Hotel
March Break 2009: Contemporary Tower
March Break 2010: YC CL
August 2013 : Polynesian CL
Aug 2014: Finally decided on CR AC TPV

ME(Still Young at Heart) DW (Likewise); DS(16); DD(13); DHavanese: (1)
ixmnrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 12:36 PM   #6
Jing
Genius in Training

Thanks for all the input so far!
Jing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 02:13 PM   #7
pgowder
DIS Veteran

We haven't stayed at Poly. But have stayed at CR for a 10 day trip. We were just discussing this last night. If we ever stay at another monorail resort, we'll go Poly or GF over CR.

Of course our preference is WL! The boat to MK is fantastic.

We had a few issues with CR.

Walking to MK is a great option and we used it more than we wanted. There were several days that the monorail didn't run.

Getting to the monorail is somewhat tedious compared to Poly in our opinion. Actually the layout of the main building is not great.

The quick service restaurant was packed every time we ate there. From what we could tell lots of people that don't get into Chef Mickey's stop there to eat. We had to wait over 30 minutes one time to order. Never had that experience at other deluxe.

The room was very nice. However there is no storage! We were there for 10 days and had to live out of suit cases! The suit cases we did unload had to be stacked in the bathroom.

The noise from Chef Mickey's is pretty loud. I think we were on the 6th floor. It did wake us up several mornings.

That being said, the MK view is incredible!

Our View by Paul Gowder, on Flickr

Best Wishes for a Happy New Year by Paul Gowder, on Flickr

Timelapse:
https://flic.kr/p/97rChQ
pgowder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 08:23 PM   #8
jperrot1
DIS Veteran

It sounds like you are choosing between CR and Poly, but you have decided on CL. Oh boy. You are in for some serious magic. I have stayed at CR Tower bay view and that is magic. Club level at CR must be.......WOW!

We have stayed at the Poly CL MK view and I can tell you that the CL experience is so magical. The staff in CL are the best of the best at Disney. At the present the Poly is construction city, and I would stay away for now. But, by October 2015, maybe they would have lots complete. You could check at http://tikimanpages.com/ for updates on the Poly construction.

To be on the safer side I might be inclined to book CR CL and watch and wait.

OP, IMO your 1986 CR stay is valid. Things do change at every resort, but I think you'll find the CR feeling you got in 1986 can be very much compared to for a 2015 stay :-)
jperrot1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: