Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-15-2013, 08:19 PM   #1
MotherofLandon
Mouseketeer

renting DVC points

I hope I am posting this in the correct place.

Have you ever rented dvc points? What was your experience like? I'm thinking about renting from David's dvc rentals. How does this change check in? Is park parking still included? Any other tips/insight?
Thanks!!

Disney Bucket List
(X)Pop, ( )AoA, (X)COR, (X)CBR, (2014)POLY, (X)BC, ( )AKL, ( )WL, ( )CR, ( )GF

MotherofLandon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 08:27 PM   #2
Shaden
DIS Veteran

Rented through David's for our upcoming trip in May. So far, its been awesome. The process was smooth, got our confirmation number, linked the reservation to our MDE account. its been awesome.
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-15-2013, 08:36 PM   #3
FLchick415
DIS Veteran

I've thought about doing this and would love any tips or tricks from anyone that's done it!

~*All Star Movies*~*Port Orleans French Quarter*~*Wilderness Lodge*~*Pop Century(x4)*~*Caribbean Beach Jamaica*~*All Star Music*~*Countless other times off site*~
FLchick415 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 09:06 PM   #4
DebbieB
DVC Member BWV 99
You have to compare apples to apples

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotherofLandon View Post
I hope I am posting this in the correct place.

Have you ever rented dvc points? What was your experience like? I'm thinking about renting from David's dvc rentals. How does this change check in? Is park parking still included? Any other tips/insight?
Thanks!!
Except for limited housekeeping, it's the same as a regular reservation.
Old 10-15-2013, 09:11 PM   #5
marigold42
Earning My Ears

I've rented points

I rented points from someone on this site and it was easy and I probably paid half of what the room would have cost going direct through Disney.
marigold42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 10:21 PM   #6
MAO
BWV Owner

I own at BWV and have never been the rentee, so I can't answer all of your questions. But, as DebbieB says, it is the same as any regular reservation. Because it's a timeshare, housekeeping is a little different than a regular room which is what DebbieB means - generally, depending on how long you stay, they'll come in once or twice during your stay and one of those times will be to just take out the trash and switch out used towels for clean ones. You will *not* have access to free dining, though it's my understanding that some of the other dining options would be available to you. As far as parking at the theme parks, I really don't know as I've always used the transportation provided (you're 'onsite' so you get it for free.) Magical Express will be available, if you fly into Orlando.

I would suggest you look into the subforum on this site for Disney Vacation Club. There is a forum there for people offering to rent points, if you want to try and find someone who actually owns at the resort you want to stay at and who could make the reservation earlier than 7 months out. You might also want to post in the Miscellaneous subforum there in regards to your parking question.
MAO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 10:55 PM   #7
Sammie
DIS Veteran

The main difference is limited housekeeping, you can't access the reservations, any requests you have the member you rent from will have to make them. If you want the dining plan you will have to pay the member and they book it and pay for it.

You are not eligible for free dining.
Sammie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 05:51 AM   #8
aubriee
Chocolate always makes things better

Quote:
Originally Posted by marigold42 View Post
I rented points from someone on this site and it was easy and I probably paid half of what the room would have cost going direct through Disney.
I rented a studio at Boardwalk villas a few years ago from someone on this site. Everything went great and I got a great room for less than half what I would have paid if I had went through Disney.
aubriee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 09:16 AM   #9
chalee94
I thought all sand was ground up rocks
He's used to walking n00bies

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotherofLandon View Post
Have you ever rented dvc points? What was your experience like?
yes. but i didn't like the lack of control (all changes or requests have to go through the DVC owner. also a big issue: renters generally cannot cancel and get a refund. there is a tiny risk that the owner could cancel the reservation out from under you as they control the reservation till you check in - but working with david as a broker helps mitigate some of that risk) so i bought my own contract.

my actual rental experience was perfect, just didn't like the tiny bit of uncertainty while waiting to go on the trip.

Quote:
How does this change check in?
i don't think it changes anything for check in.

Quote:
Is park parking still included? Any other tips/insight?
you still get all onsite benefits: access to DME buses from the airport, free park parking, EMH, and park purchases can be delivered to your resort.

but if your plans are solid and you don't miss the housekeeping (i like not having housekeeping in my room), renting DVC is a great deal.

chalee94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 02:55 PM   #10
pate59
Earning My Ears

I'm new to this renting DVC points as well. Have spent alot of time over the past week + just trying to educate myself on it. Renting directly from a member can be scary, but so far, I have nothing but positive things to say about it.
I started looking early (August 2014) for a (9) night stay and left myself open
to any number of resorts. Knew the 11 month window was open if that was the members home resort, most (I found) wanted to rent their entire point balance in one shot. It worked out very well for us. So well, I just booked (1) night thru another member, at the Aulani for February. We will be in Maui for the week but are flying over just to experience that resort at a fraction of the price.
I know it's early for us in the renting DVC process but so far, it has been very painless & we would highly recommend.
Note: Did get trip insurance only because we booked so far in advance. Even with that - it's a great deal for us.
pate59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 05:21 PM   #11
DSNY4ever
I am going to keep hunting around
I will cross my fingers for both of us

Just got back from a stay with rented points from Davids. We had a great stay. Check in and everything is the same as if you were any other resort guest. We didn't feel a lack of control because we just booked it and were done. We don't ever use the dining plan and we didn't put any special requests in for the room. We sent David's the Magical Express info about a month before the trip and that is all we had to do after booking. It was great!

Disneyland at the Holidays, here we come!
DSNY4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 06:42 PM   #12
chellewashere
DIS Veteran

We stayed last year at AKL rented through Davids...great experience. We even got our room upgraded to savannah so that was a nice sprinkle of pixie dust we did not expect.
Old 10-16-2013, 09:47 PM   #13
noahandallison
Mouseketeer

We've rented multiple times over the last 8 years. We've had great experiences every time. Quite simply - it is the best deal for a deluxe property. Rarely, if ever, is the equivalent room at a deluxe/villa cheaper than renting points, even if there is a 40% discount. Particularly because there is no tax. We've used both Disboards and ***********.

Everything works the same (other than housekeeping), but the risk is that you can't cancel. There isn't free dining (which is just a free dining plan added to a rack rate room), but you can book the dining plan added to your reservation. You can also book Magical Express.

One piece of advice - save the contact info for people you successfully rent through. That way, instead of having to find someone to rent from the next time around, you can possibly rent from someone you already know. We rented from someone last year and just booked through her again for 2014.
noahandallison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 12:04 AM   #14
cassie58
DIS Veteran

We are renting points for the first time this trip from a friend to experience AKL for a few nights - can't wait to surprise DD! It is definitely cheaper than Disney prices, much cheaper for us because it is through a friend. I was considering David's before we found out our friend had the AKL DVC, because he is recommended by Mousesavers. You can use his points calculator to see what each resort would cost. You do have to pay to submit a request (money will go towards reservation) and agree to commit as long as it's available. Although you can't get FD, you can get the dining plan w/o tickets, so can purchase tickets for less at UT, w/ all the other perks (EMH, ME, etc.)

cassie58
11/08-ASMo & Timeshare
8/09-CSR
11/11-CSR
11/13-CSR & AKL Jambo
cassie58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 01:05 AM   #15
MotherofLandon
Mouseketeer

Thank you everyone for the replies!! All my questions have been answered! Thank you all.

Disney Bucket List
(X)Pop, ( )AoA, (X)COR, (X)CBR, (2014)POLY, (X)BC, ( )AKL, ( )WL, ( )CR, ( )GF

MotherofLandon is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: