Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-15-2013, 01:38 PM   #1
Disney44please
Mouse Hater?

Wilderness Lodge or Contemporary?

We are currently booked for a 6 night stay at CR CL w/TPV. We have two small kids (2 & 4) so I thought that the view of MK would be great. The more I read about it though the more concerned I am becoming that we are wasting a lot of money on something we probably won't use. My kids go to sleep early (before Wishes) so I don't think we are going to use the view as much as I hoped.

So long post short... should we change to Wilderness Lodge? Is the monorail that much more convenient? We plan to do three days between Ak, Epcot & DHS and 4 days at MK so is it worth being able to just walk right in to MK?

Thanks in advance!!!
Disney44please is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 02:35 PM   #2
shanejoseph
Mardi Gras Mickey

Contemporary or Wilderness

I understand your concern, but what about yourselves? Your children might be in bed, but what about a nice romantic viewing for you two? Me and my wife love Disney and "THE EXPERIENCE" just as much as our daughter. If we were able to afford Contemporary Resort, Club Level, Theme Park View, there wouldn't even be a discussion! Go for it! If nothing else, I'll live vicariously through you!
All-Star Music June '11
Port Orleans Riverside Feb '13
Port Orleans French Quarter Dec '14 - Jan '15

shanejoseph is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-15-2013, 02:47 PM   #3
TIMLEO007
Mouseketeer

DVC Gold Member
Paid DVC Rent/Trade
Gold Membership

with younger kids I feel the monorail is more of a plus, especially being able to accomodate an afternoon trip back for nap time, then right back to the parks. the view part.....eh.....to me i would rather spend the ca$h elsewhere.

4h

Trips:

Countless times as a kid growing up in FL
Recent trips as a parent:
5/2002 Hilton Downtown Disney
5/2003 Dolphin concierge
11/2005 Villas at the Wilderness Lodge studio
4/2013 Boardwalk Villas studio

1/2014 Beach Club Villas 2bdrm dedicated
4/2014 Hilton Head Island 2bdrm

TIMLEO007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 02:48 PM   #4
GrandCalifornian
Can't Wait To Go Back

They are both great resorts, but have a very different "feel" between them. To us, CR feels very active and in the middle of the action, similar to being in an airport or train station. We love visiting there, but going across the lake to WL things feel more secluded and calm. The price you pay for this seclusion is it takes a little longer to get to other places. It is worth noting that there are boats that run the loop between WL, CR, and FW and the trip between WL and CR is only about five minutes if the boat is going the right direction. Being able to just hop on the monorail is great, while at WL you would have to take a boat, walk a ways, then get on the monorail (which we do frequently). Another thing we found on our last trip was the walk from CR to MK does take a while, probably about 5-10 minutes, despite being right next door to MK. Another thing we like about WL is having the option of a bus to each park, since they tend to be the quickest way, even if they aren't the most fun.

I think it comes down to a personal decision what you choose to pay for and what "feel" you prefer. Personally we love WL, but sure wouldn't turn down the opportunity to stay at CR. Both resorts have great FAQ threads here on the DISboards (and they are hosted by the same individual, WDWKOOK), so you can get all kinds of great info there.
GrandCalifornian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 04:59 PM   #5
Babsy
DIS Veteran

We think that the CR is worth it, but not everyone agrees..

Will your kids need a rest or nap during the day? If you are like us you will probably be going back to the resort at some point for a nap, swim or rest at some point during the afternoon. Which resort would meet your needs best for a break?''If the kids go to bed early, where will you and DH want to be? Does WL or CR CL TPV seem more appealing for a relaxing evening until it is time for the adults to go to bed? Will you need the daybed or will 2 quuens or a queen and bunk beds work fine?

Both resorts re great. The WL is beautiful but the CR is convenient. Yes it is a 10 minute walk to the MK from the CR, but you can often wait more than 10 mins before your transportation even arrives to pick you up at WL or any other resort. By that time you are in the MK from the CR. Leaving the park after a parade? You don't need to line up and wait for a bus/boat or monorail - you can just walk on by and be back in your room in a few minutes. Have an ADR in the MK? No need to allow time for waiting for transportation, just see how long it takes you to walk and go straight there!! Love the monorail? It goes right through the CR - how cool is that?

The rooms in the WL are among the smallest deluxe rooms, the rooms at the CR are among the largest of the deluxe rooms. Personally, I prefer the rooms at the CR. I find the WL rooms cramped and dark. I like the broad vistas from the CR balcony more than the woodsy views at the WL. Which looks better to you?

Both resorts have great restaurants, but the CR has Chef Mickey's and the CG!! Awesome!
Also, the CR is on the monorail so has easy access to the Poly and GF. The WL has access by boat to the CR and then on the monorail to poly and GF. Both Wl and Cr have boat access to Fort Wilderness and the Hoop Dee Doo revue.

WE had the same decision to make for our trip this Nov. We decided to stay at CR. It is more expensive, but we think that it is worth it. However, it is a personal decision.
Babsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 05:43 PM   #6
ColoradoDisney
Mouseketeer

I am a big fan of Wilderness Lodge. You could make a vacation out of just staying at the WL. Here are my favorite activities at WL:

-Pool. We love ordering lunch or dinner and eating/hanging out by the pool for a relaxing afternoon or evening
-Watching a Disney Movie on the Beach
-Relaxing in the main lodge lobby over a cup of coffee or a cool drink
-Enjoying the boat ride to/from the Magic Kingdom. For some reason a boat ride is more fun than a bus.

If being within "walking" distance to MK, CL will be a great choice. If you want a resort you can hang out and relax at, I don't think WL can be beat.
ColoradoDisney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 02:22 PM   #7
Disney44please
Mouse Hater?

Thank you everyone for your responses! I think I was just a little gun shy about the ridiculous amount of money this trip is costing ($6,500 or so before airfare) and with this being our first time at Disney I just don't want to spend all this money to be disappointed in a crappy resort.

I think we will stay were we are and learn from our inevitable mistakes for next time.

Thank you again!
Disney44please is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 04:05 PM   #8
Babsy
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disney44please View Post
Thank you everyone for your responses! I think I was just a little gun shy about the ridiculous amount of money this trip is costing ($6,500 or so before airfare) and with this being our first time at Disney I just don't want to spend all this money to be disappointed in a crappy resort.

I think we will stay were we are and learn from our inevitable mistakes for next time.

Thank you again!
I think that you will love the convenience of the CR!! There is nothing like being able to walk to a theme park, IMO. Congratulations on staying in one of the best rooms in the most convenient and comfortable resorts in all of WDW! With the TPV and CL level you re staying in the ultimate luxury for sure!

Yes, it is expensive! We have 6 of us so we have 2 rooms!! EEEK!! Big $$$$ for sure, but so worth it to us. I am excited about staying in the CR tower. When the little ones go to bed we will sit on our balcony and relax with a nice hot chocolate (and maybe even a dessert) and enjoy the view. If the kids are too tired for wishes on the balcony, we will certainly enjoy watching the fireworks ourselves!

We also rented a cabana for pool time. I think that it will be a hoot! The little one will be able to nap while our toddler goes swimming with Mommy.

One thing that we chose to do is to move to the YC halfway through our week so that we can walk to Epcot and DHS during the second half of our trip. The YC CL is a little less expensive than the CR as well, so we save a bit there!

Enjoy your WDW vacation!!!
Babsy is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: