Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-15-2013, 01:37 PM   #1
JAMIESMITH
DIS Veteran

Which Moderate For Holidays?

I would love to stay at Wilderness or Animal Kingdom Lodge for the week after Thanksgiving next year, but realistically our budget will probably only cover a moderate this year. Would you prefer Coronado Springs or one of the Port Orleans resorts during this time of year. I know that none of the moderates will have the decorations a Deluxe resort would have, but I'm sure they have some seasonal theming

Disney's Boardwalk Villas January 2015 Desperate For More Disney Magic

JAMIESMITH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 05:11 PM   #2
McKelly
DIS Veteran

It's been a couple of years, but I think FQ had more decorations than POR did. And while I have never personally seen CSR at the holidays, I have seen beautiful pics here on the Dis - lots of pointsettias.

McKelly is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-16-2013, 05:03 AM   #3
aubriee
Chocolate always makes things better

I have stayed at all four of the moderates in Dec and think CSR has the prettiest Christmas decorations. They always have a bunch of white poinsettas swagged that you walk under as you come in the entry. Once inside they have a Chirstmas tree in the fountain, underneath the skylight dome. Sometimes it is surrounded by red poinsettas. There will also be some wreaths on the doors there in the main building. Turn right to go into the area where you check in and they will have another big Christmas tree on the back wall (and sometimes two back there). As you walk down the hallway toward the food court there will be swags and also little Christmas trees on the wall above your head and back by the food court and Maya Grill will be a Nativity scene. There is probably some more stuff, but that's what I remember off the top of my head.

POFQ and PORS didn't have quite as much, but was still very pretty. I was not impressed with the Christmas decorations at CBR.
aubriee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 08:44 AM   #4
JAMIESMITH
DIS Veteran

Thank you! I love the theming at Coronado Springs, but wasn't sure how it would be during the holidays. PoFQ is my second choice

Old 10-16-2013, 09:11 AM   #5
jimandami
DIS Veteran

I know you didn't ask for other options, but have you ever thought about renting points for your stay in a studio at either AKV or WLV. December is very cheap points wise and I would guess a studio would cost you almost the same as a moderate.
jimandami is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 10:43 AM   #6
JAMIESMITH
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimandami View Post
I know you didn't ask for other options, but have you ever thought about renting points for your stay in a studio at either AKV or WLV. December is very cheap points wise and I would guess a studio would cost you almost the same as a moderate.
I will look into that. My biggest concern is how comfortable the sofa bed would be for our daughter.

Old 10-16-2013, 11:46 AM   #7
jimandami
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMIESMITH View Post
I will look into that. My biggest concern is how comfortable the sofa bed would be for our daughter.
I have slept on the sofa bed at several DVC resorts and have been comfortable, but of course, YMMV.
Old 10-16-2013, 04:21 PM   #8
JAMIESMITH
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I have slept on the sofa bed at several DVC resorts and have been comfortable, but of course, YMMV.
Now I'm really confused! If we could get an AKL Value, it would only be $200 more than a moderate (after I add the dining plan to the Villa and assuming free dining is offered again next year if we went with the moderate). A Studio at Boardwalk or Old Key West would be my next choice and would only add another $100 to our trip. Could you tell me more about either of these? Do you really miss having mousekeeping come every day?

Old 10-17-2013, 01:23 PM   #9
jimandami
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Now I'm really confused! If we could get an AKL Value, it would only be $200 more than a moderate (after I add the dining plan to the Villa and assuming free dining is offered again next year if we went with the moderate). A Studio at Boardwalk or Old Key West would be my next choice and would only add another $100 to our trip. Could you tell me more about either of these? Do you really miss having mousekeeping come every day?
We have stayed at both AKV and BWV, but not OKW yet (first time will be this December). I would choose any of them over a moderate, even though we have stayed at both POR and CSR and enjoyed it. The fact that you can get a deluxe resort for the price of a moderate is pretty much a no-brainer for me, but I know some people don't like the no housekeeping part of DVC. For us, it has never been a problem. We are fairly neat people anyway, and we have never missed it. We enjoy having the kitchenette, and usually skip the dining plan when renting points because we can fix breakfast in the room, and it is usually cheaper to just pay OOP. I will tell you that AKV value is a fairly hard to get reservation because the points are so low. If that is what you want, you need to book right at the 11 month mark, and there is still a chance it would be booked. Of the 3 resorts you listed, we like BWV the best because of the walking distance to 2 parks. Plus, we just enjoy that Epcot resort area. We have rented points many times in the past and have always had wonderful experiences!
Old 10-17-2013, 01:36 PM   #10
JAMIESMITH
DIS Veteran

Quote:
We have stayed at both AKV and BWV, but not OKW yet (first time will be this December). I would choose any of them over a moderate, even though we have stayed at both POR and CSR and enjoyed it. The fact that you can get a deluxe resort for the price of a moderate is pretty much a no-brainer for me, but I know some people don't like the no housekeeping part of DVC. For us, it has never been a problem. We are fairly neat people anyway, and we have never missed it. We enjoy having the kitchenette, and usually skip the dining plan when renting points because we can fix breakfast in the room, and it is usually cheaper to just pay OOP. I will tell you that AKV value is a fairly hard to get reservation because the points are so low. If that is what you want, you need to book right at the 11 month mark, and there is still a chance it would be booked. Of the 3 resorts you listed, we like BWV the best because of the walking distance to 2 parks. Plus, we just enjoy that Epcot resort area. We have rented points many times in the past and have always had wonderful experiences!
Thanks so much for taking the time to share your experiences with me! I'm going to try to rent points right at the 11 month mark. I'll list AKV value as my first choice and BWV as my second. If these aren't available, I will probably stick with a moderate. I'm not sure I really want to try OKW and everything else is more than I'm willing to pay. I really loved the dining plan on our trip last year. We felt like it was enough food without being too much. I loved not worrying about how much every meal cost. We had free dining, but even if we had purchased the plan we would have come out okay.

Old 10-17-2013, 07:39 PM   #11
jimandami
DIS Veteran

You are welcome!! Good luck and have a great trip wherever you decide to stay!
Old 10-18-2013, 07:44 AM   #12
Eastern
DIS Veteran

We were at POFQ last holiday season and I thought the decorations were nice.
Eastern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 08:13 AM   #13
chalee94
I thought all sand was ground up rocks
He's used to walking n00bies

favorite moderate: CSR

favorite DVC (until the VGF opens): AKV edges the WL/BWV/BCV

more pics are here if you want to see for yourself:

http://www.disboards.com/showthread....852086&page=10

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1676426

chalee94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 08:17 AM   #14
wiigirl
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Thank you! I love the theming at Coronado Springs, but wasn't sure how it would be during the holidays. PoFQ is my second choice
Same here
Old 10-18-2013, 08:28 AM   #15
JAMIESMITH
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by chalee94 View Post
favorite moderate: CSR

favorite DVC (until the VGF opens): AKV edges the WL/BWV/BCV

more pics are here if you want to see for yourself:

http://www.disboards.com/showthread....852086&page=10

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1676426
Thanks so much for the pictures!!!