Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-15-2013, 06:22 PM   #1
becalubob
Mouseketeer

Coronado Springs or Caribbean Beach for family of 4?

My youngest step kids have never been to WDW. DH and I are planning a trip for the 4 of us after school lets out this May. Their ages are 9 and 6. DH and I have both stayed at Coronado Springs before, so I'd kind of like to stay at a resort I've never been at before. However, I'm wondering what the perks are at CBR? Drawbacks? I really liked CS. I don't have POR or POFQ as an option because DH and I are planning on staying at one of these just the two of us next year.

Any food for thought would be appreciated!
becalubob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 08:26 PM   #2
BareNecessities
WhenYouWishUponAstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by becalubob View Post
My youngest step kids have never been to WDW. DH and I are planning a trip for the 4 of us after school lets out this May. Their ages are 9 and 6. DH and I have both stayed at Coronado Springs before, so I'd kind of like to stay at a resort I've never been at before. However, I'm wondering what the perks are at CBR? Drawbacks? I really liked CS. I don't have POR or POFQ as an option because DH and I are planning on staying at one of these just the two of us next year.

Any food for thought would be appreciated!
We stayed at CBR waaayyy back when there were no Value resorts yet. And then once later on, when the pool reno was finished. We've also visited there a few times since then (visiting others). We've also stayed at Coronado LOTS of times.

Depending on the room you get at CBR, there may be a bit of a walk (7-8 min. with a 6-yr. old). But not as far, as the farthest rooms for Coronado (10 min. with a 10 yr. old). Walking doesn't bother us too much - except in the worst heat. The month of May will be hot!!! We like walking, and experiencing the whole resort, and we love to soak it all in - holding on to the images that make the memories later on. It's spread out at CBR, but we like that feeling. It takes away the crowded feeling that the Value resorts have (or the pool area at Beach Club). Our favourite is Trinidad south - it has a very quiet area, with a playground. There are quiet pools at CBR. And hammocks!

The whole resort really feels and sounds like they want you to think you're in the Caribbean (steel-drum music playing in the central areas). Call me crazy, but during cooler-weather months, it even feels warmer there (thanks to good Imagineering I think, and maybe a little Jamaican rum on the way

Your children will probably really enjoy exploring on the little island not far from the central eating area. The main pool area is wonderful. Really large pool and a good slide.

The interiors (of the rooms) are a little worn now. Coronado refurbished their rooms before being as worn as CBR is now. We always found the rooms very clean. I hope a refurbishment will be undertaken soon.

In the last few years, it seems to us that there are fewer and fewer cast members in any given area (parks, resorts), doing more and more work - I wonder if that would explain some of the unpleasantness that some have experienced and described on some blogs. No matter where we go in the World - we try to smile and say "thank you" as often as possible. It's amazing how many times we noticed a cast member visibly relax, and smile back, as though they had been very tense and anxious.

I've seen some very rude guests receive nothing but the friendliest response from cast members. At both CBR, and CS, we've always had exceptionally good service. Just as good as Beach Club!

One location drawback is that check-in (and check-out, if you need to), and the MagicalExpress pick-up and drop-off location, can be found in a completely separate building, and that's a bit of a walk too....although there's internal bus service, and luggage service....still, it's not convenient with very young children.

Bus service to the parks was always efficient - although there are a lot of stops. If you have very young ones, that works out well, as nobody has to walk too much to get to a bus stop. Jamaica rooms are the first stop, but they do frequently change bus routines around to try and tweak them. We are not fussy about such things - we're just happy to be in "the world."

Beds at CBR are still okay. Coronado's new beds are almost too firm, but still give a very good night's sleep. CBR has Pirate Rooms (a bit pricier, but your boys sound like they're the right age to splurge on this)!!!!

With 2 boys, you may find that there are easier food choices, and a wider variety of quick-meal options at Caribbean. Coronado has improved on that now too, but we find it's still limited compared to CBR.

A more recent visitor would probably be able to give you more current tips. Hope this helps a bit.

"Going to WDW soon, we are!"
BareNecessities is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-16-2013, 04:37 AM   #3
TarmackQT
Earning My Ears

delete
TarmackQT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 09:50 AM   #4
wdwrich
DIS Veteran

I didn't see this mentioned in BareNecessities' reply- CSR has queen beds and CBR still has full-size beds. If the larger beds are important, go with CSR.

WDW - 11 visits since 1979 (Polynesian x5, P.O. Riverside x2, Contemporary x2, Yacht Club, Coronado Springs, Shades of Green). Going back in 2015.
DLR - Yearly since 1984 (AP holders)
wdwrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 10:00 AM   #5
Babsy
DIS Veteran

CBR is due to be refurbed soon, next year sometime, I think. It might be a good idea to check on when that is occurring. If it is before you go, GREAT!! If during your visit, you might want to request a refurbished room

The pirate rooms look great, but are a bit of a hike form the main building. If staying in CBR, I would opt for a preferred room, if possible, to make it more convenient to everything like the main pool.

Value resorts are great with children the age of your kiddos and worth considering. The new AoA suites or a Pop room might be good choices as well.
Babsy is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: