Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-17-2013, 04:36 PM   #31
Tink03477
I love my little Disney Bear!

Smile

I'm not sure if I'm stupid or too trustworthy or just think that everyone is like me. I don't take things that don't belong to me. I have always left my stuff in the room. Usually my laptop is on the table and my son's is somewhere in the room. We don't hide them or lock them up. I lock up money in my suitcase; but that's about it. I guess I don't think that someone will take my stuff. It's not theirs; it's mine. We have left something behind one time. I can't remember what it was. It wasn't electronics, but they mailed it back to me. Which I thought was pretty freaking awesome!! My son's brand new iPhone slipped out of his pocket on EE. When we went back, someone had turned it in. It's the same thing I would have done. But we were very happy just the same.
I leave a tip everyday; but I don't think this has anything to do with it.

PORFQ-10/1998 * ASM-5/2000 * CSR-5/2001 * POFQ & HRH-10/2002 * CBR-5/2003 * PORFQ 5/2004 * BCV (US/IOA RPH) - 8/2004-1st DVC * OKW/AKL 11/2004 * BCV 5/2005 * Dolphin 12/2005 * BWV 5/2006 * * 9/2006 - CA-GCH* 1/2007-Marriott *POR 8/2007* * AKL 1/2008 DS 19th B-DAY** Morgan's Grad May 23-26 / BC May 26-June 1, 2008*
* Poly-1st TIME! 5/2009* BC Club Level Sept 4-12, 2010**YC June 2-9, 2012 My 50th B-Day Trip! BWV May 19-26 2013
Tink03477 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 05:36 PM   #32
goofy4tink
Likes little devils
I know I'm getting old...I get it, I really do
Prisoner of Toy Story Mania

DISboards Moderator

Last May, dd forgot to move her iPod when she got out of bed. She listens to it at night, so it's on, or around, her pillow. We figured it would be gone when we returned to the room. Nope...it was sitting right on the table. The housekeeper had found it and pit it out where it would be noticed. Yes, a tip was left, but only $2! I made a point to go to the front desk and make mention of the housekeeper's honesty.
There are honest people, there are dishonest people...everywhere.
Register to remove

Old 10-18-2013, 08:42 AM   #33
Eastern
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigger's ally View Post
Sounds to me like the "last trip around the room" that my mother and father taught me would have saved you twice. Once in actually leaving a tip and also in finding your Ipad.

we always pull all the luggage out of the room...then we do a thorough sweep. You would be surprised how many things we find when we think we got it all already. That hook on the back of the bathroom door usually holds something!
We taught our kids to do this. Recheck every drawer, behind ever door, in the shower, etc before you leave. Even if you KNOW that you took everything. We always find something. Hope this helps others-

And no, a tip would not have helped. A thief is a thief.
Eastern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 09:56 AM   #34
lizabu
DIS Veteran

I agree that a tip would not have helped. Don't blame yourself. People are either honest or not.
lizabu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 01:22 PM   #35
nkereina
Wendy Darling

Quote:
Originally Posted by lalanik View Post
Awkward...you assumed the "mousekeeper" was a low-life thief without even knowing him/her...Shame on you...
Facts are facts - housekeeping positions anywhere are low paying jobs that require minimal education and sometimes not even a background check. You can't deny the type of demographic that holds these kinds of jobs. Many people in these positions are very moral and honest, but there's a fair perecentage who are not.

OP - I am sorry this happened to you. I once had forgotten a cell phone in a room after check out (not at Disney) and ran back to get it. The housekeeper was in the room and I asked if she had seen it and she said no. My friend called it and low and behold, a ringing came from her cart in the hall under some towels. These kinds of things can and do happen anywhere, any time so many are in the same boat as you. Homeowner's insurance is good advice.
nkereina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 01:31 PM   #36
blanq
A 42 year old fan of Peter Pan's Flight and the Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh
There are some days I can't even remember my own phone number

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mousemommy1 View Post
Um, no. I don't think a tip has anything to do with it. A thief is a thief. A tip would have just meant a thief with some coffee money...

I'm sorry this happened to you.
ITA with this. Tipping housekeeping in any hotel/resort does not guarantee no theft. Last fall, DH and I took a trip to Mexico and we tipped housekeeping everyday of our trip. On the last day "someone" took our cribbage board and a deck of cards we left laying out. Lucky for us, our valuables were in our safe.
blanq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 02:04 PM   #37
BiancaBernard&Penny
Returning to "Earning My Ears" after all these years

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hisgirl View Post
So important to use 'where's my ipad'. It will show you exactly where your ipad is now residing and you can call the police. They will get it back. My gyno doctor had workers in his house and his wife's ipad went missing. He logged into where's my ipad and lo and behold...it showed the ipad was around the corner down the road a bit in someone's house. He called the police and the police knocked on the door saying,"We have reason to believe there is stolen property here. An ipad" The man who answered the door denied having an ipad in the house but his son walked up, and said, "But Daddy, you were just using that ipad" Come to find out the guy was a pretty big drug dealer and the officers got more than an ipad.
Sadly, the app can be easily disabled it overridden. My iphone was left in a bathroom (in Coney Island) and quickly disappeared. It was untraceable, even with the app. From what I understand (I'm technically-challenged) the phone was turned off, probably right away, and possibly dismantled.

I started to giggle when I read that... Love the honesty of children... I hope the poor sweetie wasn't punished for it.

CBR- Sept 1997
CBR- Sept 17-24, 2001
CSR- May 13-20, 2008 ptr- http://disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2166836

Debating on a trip this year with 4 year old "Penny" and a 12 year old, too!
BiancaBernard&Penny is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: